• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

OK lets just says the best of GT5 cannot be better by the best of Forza 4 when it comes to graphic and the worst of GT5 when it comes to graphic is worser than the worse of Forza 4 graphic.

hope u guys understand what im talking about

Now can we move on? and lets the Forza guys play their new game and the GT boys wait for their Spec 2 update, apparently both are releasing on the same day.

tusken77

WrikaWrek said:
However, Forza 4 looks like twice the game.

That's debatable. For me, with double the amount of vehicles to collect, a wider range of surfaces to test myself on, the challenges of night driving and dynamic weather, GT5 is MUCH more of a game to me.

sleeping_dragon said:
OK lets just says the best of GT5 cannot be better by the best of Forza 4 when it comes to graphic and the worst of GT5 when it comes to graphic is worser than the worse of Forza 4 graphic.

hope u guys understand what im talking about

Now can we move on? and lets the Forza guys play their new game and the GT boys wait for their Spec 2 update, apparently both are releasing on the same day.

No, stop right there, you are making too much sense.

SmokyDave

WrikaWrek said:
GT 5 looks better visually. Really easy to reach that conclusion imo.

However, Forza 4 looks like twice the game.
And yet plenty wrestled over the graphics comparisons between GT5 and Forza 3.

Crazy in retrospect.

nib95

Banned
tusken77 said:
That's debatable. For me, with double the amount of vehicles to collect, a wider range of surfaces to test myself on, the challenges of night driving and dynamic weather, GT5 is MUCH more of a game to me.
Plus the variety in racing. Daytona, F1, Rally, Go-karting, LeMans etc. It's no joke. Simply feature packed.

tusken77

nib95 said:
Plus the variety in racing. Daytona, F1, Rally, Go-karting, LeMans etc. It's no joke. Simply feature packed.

Yep, its broad scope makes it much more of a game for me. It's not without flaws but it's a beast of a game and you can only marvel at its sheer ambition.

Yeah but because it features a few tracks and a couple of cars does that really make it F1?

Yeah it's great to have them, to compare the handling and speed to lesser cars, it's also got an F40 in there too but doesn't make it Turbo Outrun.

SmokyDave said:
Pretty sure that the Red Bull guys said it would perform similarly in real life.

I wish Red Bull would build at least one car. Heck, Citroen build six of the GT (even if it had a V8 under the hood).

Angst

SunhiLegend said:
iyndLQriHmLfH.gif

igAbcKNNoGrhu.gif

icMnGZLHPiBTh.gif

I've yet to see any racing game reach the level of GT in terms of graphics. When GT is at its best its untouchable in the graphics department. And its not too bad when it comes to the driving :)
Quoted just because you GIFs are always awesome. One thing GT does really well (on most tracks) are the replay camera angles. Don't know why, but most other racing games seem to fail at this. I haven't seen enough of F4 to know how they do though.

brotkasten said:
I don't care if it doesn't drive.

They could build it, but who would be willing to drive it? It's a monster

Its new top speed was 450km/h (279.6mp/h), with a maximum lateral acceleration reaching up to 8.75G, pushing the vehicle to the very limits of what a normal human body can withstand. As a comparison, this is more Gs than a fighter pilot feels during full afterburner, and more than astronauts experience during a shuttle liftoff.

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5330.html

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Goldrusher said:
No, that's GT4 HD.
And many of us would have preferred even more GT4 tracks to have been included.
I would've liked all of them. :|

MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE

GT5's approach to increasing content paid off incredibly. When you're actually playing the game, you couldn't care less about the lack of polygons and texture resolution on the lower-quality assets. It's all awesome.

tusken77 said:
It removes some of the satisfaction of achievement. You eventually earn enough credits to buy a gorgeous car you've been keen to own. A car your mates have been enjoying for weeks/months because they simply bought it with real money. Horrible.

I swear PD better not even consider implementing that kind of nonsense into future GTs.

So your enjoyment is based on how other people play their game?

tusken77 said:

This is probably why I like Forza more. I like the racing and immersion, while a few tracks and challenges really got me into the game with GT5, it would drop as soon as tearing and the awful shadows appeared along with being behind a car that looked terrible. Some things worked so well, while some just really stood out and made me think "wtf is going on here?"

BobsRevenge said:

GT5's approach to increasing content paid off incredibly. When you're actually playing the game, you couldn't care less about the lack of polygons and texture resolution on the lower-quality assets. It's all awesome.
I disagree, the inconsistency is very jarring. I wish they had taken the time to properly upgrade the old tracks. But yeah, I want moar too. El Capitan dammit.

Angst

flyinpiranha said:
Yeah, I never understood that complaint. It's like the people on GTP that were pissed when people duped the X1 in GT5. I fail to see how that ruins the game for them... do they want to use the X1 online against Miatas?

Xanadu

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
i could :/

tusken77

flyinpiranha said:

No. You've put the hours in to build your credits up to be able to afford the higher end cars. There's pride in that. You possess cars that others who haven't put the time in don't own. The size of your car collection reflects how much time/how successful you've been in the game. With Forza's system your rewards become devalued if there's people who have the same cars as you that they simply bought. It undermines a core component of the game.

It's one thing, along with rewinding and liveries, that I hope never appears in GT.

tusken77

BobsRevenge said:

On Tuesday.....it begins. :)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xanadu said:
livery editor rocks, rewind i agree it does not belong in racing games

Oh please.

Rewind is the best thing to happen to racing games by far. It's very well implemented in Forza and it's an OPTION. You don't have to use it.

Fuck restarts, I don't want to waste my time. I'd rather perfect my god damned line at will without the tedious bullshit. Not to mention that you can avoid crazy fuck ups too (I'm sure this is the part that you don't like) but I mainly like the part where I can rewind and look for another angle of attack on a turn.

test_account

XP-39C²
drugstore_cowboy said:
Yeah but because it features a few tracks and a couple of cars does that really make it F1?

Yeah it's great to have them, to compare the handling and speed to lesser cars, it's also got an F40 in there too but doesn't make it Turbo Outrun.
How do you mean? You get to drive a F1 car, and it is also possible to race against other who have F1 car, and finally you can race on real life F1 tracks :) What else is there to F1?

tusken77

Loudninja said:
Liveries are fine but s it should not be anywhere near the top priority for PD.

I'd only tolerate liveries in a very limited capacity or if online I'd have an option to switch my opponents' cars to a default base colour. I don't want to look at that stuff, it's cheap and tacky. I want my GT to remain elegant and classy.

I simply cannot fathom anyone thinking that GT5 is somehow outright better than F4 graphically. When I play GT5, I am greeted with terrible weather effects, mixed-bag efforts with regards to tracks, a shitload of hit-or-miss 'standard' cars, 'good' graphics in-game and some wicked screen tearing.

Granted I have only played the demo of F4, but in-game at least, it seems a lot nicer than GT5. The image is nicer, I haven't noticed any tearing, and the tracks are gorgeous. Granted it doesn't have the weather/night options or the same car count, but personally, I think that sound/customization-options/online-system/liveries etc make for a much better overall package.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed various elements of GT5. However outside of a few isolated examples, I felt the graphics were inconsistent at best. The first time I saw the rain on my windshield in cockpit view, I almost laughed. Then the first time I slid off the track on Laguna Seca and seen the tire 'wall' I had a nice chuckle. Personally, I prefer an overall consistently 'great' display of graphics, over a mixed-bag of graphics ranging from 'photo-realistic' to 'completely pixelated shit'.

tusken77

Xanadu said:
livery editor rocks, rewind i agree it does not belong in racing games

Livery editor doesn't rock, I don't want it anywhere near my GT. Agreed, rewind is hand holding. Made a mistake? Awww, just rewind and try again! One of the reasons why I can't take Forza seriously.

Xanadu

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
Oh please.

Rewind is the best thing to happen to racing games by far. It's very well implemented in Forza and it's an OPTION. You don't have to use it.

Fuck restarts, I don't want to waste my time. I'd rather perfect my god damned line at will without the tedious bullshit.
i guess i'm a purist or whatever but i think rewind is shit, you make a mistake thats it. thats racing..and thats part of the fun for me, even on endurance races fucking up on the last corner. its REAL, but i'm glad we get credits for turning it off now

tusken77

test_account said:
How do you mean? You get to drive a F1 car, and it is also possible to race against other who have F1 car, and finally you can race on real life F1 tracks :) What else is there to F1?

Plus, they're in place for possible future Seasonal Events.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
tusken77 said:
Livery editor doesn't rock, I don't want it anywhere near my GT. Agreed, rewind is hand holding. Made a mistake? Awww, just rewind and try again! One of the reasons why I can't take Forza seriously.

I love the assbackwards mentality, less options BETTER!, FM 4's livery editor is pure quality, no more ghetto ass looking liveries. It's legitimate now so you can make whatever the heck you want so it's DOES rock.

Hilarious.

I remember when visual damage didn't matter either til it got put in.

Xanadu

Banned
tusken77 said:
explain why it doesnt rock? recreating classic motorsport liveries is awesome, sure you'll get silly stuff like anime cars but i'd rather have it than not have it

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xanadu said:
explain why it doesnt rock? recreating classic motorsport liveries is awesome, sure you'll get silly stuff like anime cars but i'd rather have it than not have it

Bingo! speaking of which let's make some you SOB and get paid! lol!

tusken77 said:

What the fuck?

How is having more options ever a bad thing? You can't rewind online, so it doesn't affect how anyone else plays the game. Plus as an option/assist, it helps players new or inexperienced within the genre, find and correct their mistakes.

Also, liveries are fucking amazing. 95% of them look amazing, with a ton of effort behind them. I can't see how having the option to paint your car any way you like is in anyway a bad thing. I could maybe see your point with being able to disable viewing other people's liveries - but it's kind of a petty complaint at that point.

p3tran

Banned
tusken77 said:
No. You've put the hours in to build your credits up to be able to afford the higher end cars. There's pride in that. You possess cars that others who haven't put the time in don't own. The size of your car collection reflects how much time/how successful you've been in the game. With Forza's system your rewards become devalued if there's people who have the same cars as you that they simply bought. It undermines a core component of the game.

It's one thing, along with rewinding and liveries, that I hope never appears in GT.
in forza you can go bigtime by crafting great tuning files and/or racing liveries or even logos, and droping them for sale at your storefront for the rest of the community to buy.
you dont have to put the hours behind the wheel to get somewhere with money.
so what you say, I think you need to broaden your horizons a bit in this pride thing.
example: I hadnt booted f3 for quite a time. upon opening up, I got message to go check my store. guess what? there where 10million waiting for me there from sales that have been going on in my absence. should I feel bad or not proud?
the same thing holds for your driving skills. you might think you are good, yet using your own weaponry (car of choice, tuning setup of choice) you always fall outside the 10.000 top players in times. but if you grab one of those better chosen or better tuned cars out of the community stores, you enter lets say top 500. should you feel bad? un-proud? really dont think so.
so is the money thing. someone bought the veyron for a dollar? power to him. you got it for free cause your are no.1 driver? power to you too ;)

tusken77

Xanadu said:

That's why I said I'd tolerate it in a limited capacity, ie: if classic motorsport liveries were only available. Heaven forbid full on liveries, just so childish. I don't want to look at garish, cheap, tacky designs. I don't want to see Nathan Drake's face on the side of a car. That stuff can stay in Forza and well away from the sophistication of Gran Turismo.

ShapeGSX

tusken77 said:
That's why I said I'd tolerate it in a limited capacity, ie: if classic motorsport liveries were only available. Heaven forbid full on liveries, just so childish. I don't want to look at garish, cheap, tacky designs. I don't want to see Nathan Drake's face on the side of a car. That stuff can stay in Forza and well away from the sophistication of Gran Turismo.

Do you drive around with your pinky in the air?

JWong

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
I love the assbackwards mentality, less options BETTER!

Hilarious.

I remember when visual damage didn't matter either til it got put in.
If a game like, say... Demon Souls got rewind, a lot of people would abandon it without a second thought.

Some gamers don't want these features that would lessen the risk in video games. Racing, especially, is all about the full lap performance. You can rewind one corner, but the road leading up to it affects how you take that corner. No professional racers only practice one corner of a race track.

tusken77 said:
You just jelly
6218702583_a219308a61_b.jpg

6219223774_ee9e6f29a2_b.jpg

bj00rn_

Banned
tusken77 said:

You know, the art of trolling is to hold back just a little.. And the livery comment just isn't plausible at all, sorry.

I do however agree with the rewind comment - Which is why I went to the settings and TURNED IT OFF........................................................................ Good OPTIONAL feature for casual playing and those without patience though...................................................

SmokyDave

ShapeGSX said:
Do you drive around with your pinky in the air?
I get snobbish on racing games. It used to drive me mad when I played TDU and every single random drove the Saleen S7 because it was the fastest car. Get some class and cruise in something tasteful.

Top Bottom