• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Shaneus

Yoritomo said:
For anyone who doubts that some good might come of this thread, I have now ordered PGR4 because of it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442064

If *anyone* has a 360 and a passing interest in awesome cars, they owe it to themselves to get PGR4. To be honest, no matter how good FM4 will be, I guarantee you it will not be enough for me to stop having a good PGR4 session every few weeks. Probably my favourite game on the 360, I shit you not.

Also, be aware that if you update it (or get the DLC, I can't quite remember) you'll lose self-shadowing on the cars for some weird reason. Wasn't done for performance reasons, just a bug... even the devs didn't know it happened until after whatever caused it was released on the marketplace (but by then it was too late and Bizarre was as good as gone from MS).

Lagspike_exe said:
Not counting transparencies, Forza has even more aliasing that GT5. 4xMSAA vs. 2xMSAA.

Well, I wouldnt know since I dont own any forza games except the first forza, tho I am considering forza 4

also....should I be playing GT5 in 720p? cause I play all my games in 1080p. Is that why the game doesnt impress me as much when I play it as oppossed to seeing pics online?

Fixed2BeBroken said:
also....should I be playing GT5 in 720p? cause I play all my games in 1080p. Is that why the game doesnt impress me as much when I play it as oppossed to seeing pics online?

I prefer GT5's image quality at 720p but a lot of people don't agree.

Worth checking out.

Theonik

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Most pics you see online are from photomode which is basically a bullshot generator. Now, to your original query, I personally prefer the look of 1080p mode but you can give 720p mode a try if you wish, doesn't hurt to try and I also presume that framerates might be slightly better though I could be wrong.

OT: GT5 supports 5 screens, Forza only 3. GT5 is clearly superior.

Kolgar

Shaneus said:

If *anyone* has a 360 and a passing interest in awesome cars, they owe it to themselves to get PGR4. To be honest, no matter how good FM4 will be, I guarantee you it will not be enough for me to stop having a good PGR4 session every few weeks. Probably my favourite game on the 360, I shit you not.

Also, be aware that if you update it (or get the DLC, I can't quite remember) you'll lose self-shadowing on the cars for some weird reason. Wasn't done for performance reasons, just a bug... even the devs didn't know it happened until after whatever caused it was released on the marketplace (but by then it was too late and Bizarre was as good as gone from MS).

Absolutely. Check out these incredible shots of PGR4 from page 174 of this very thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24556090&postcount=8695

Gob-smacking.

Vorg

Banned
Shaneus said:

Yeah PGR4 was probably my best gaming purchase this year. It's such a great game. Been playing for the last 4 hours straight and didn't even notice. I just can't go back to Forza after PGR4 to be honest. I've played quite a bit of FM3 and it was a snoozefest all the way. Oh and PGR4 costs something like 5 euros.

Theonik said:
Most pics you see online are from photomode which is basically a bullshot generator. Now, to your original query, I personally prefer the look of 1080p mode but you can give 720p mode a try if you wish, doesn't hurt to try and I also presume that framerates might be slightly better though I could be wrong.

720p does have a small FPS advantage. It also tears less. That was back on launch, though, I don't know whether they modified it with later patches.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Since people are posting GT 5 screens

Slayer-33 said:
I fucking love this game.

6221746186_03b9f82d21_b.jpg

6221225159_9e9c8b16e8_b.jpg

6221852468_2af5907b1b_b.jpg

6221760842_10484b3fb5_b.jpg

6221331863_821469709b_b.jpg

6221331703_d7146e1625_b.jpg

6221331223_a05a336728_b.jpg

6221331011_2f729e9892_b.jpg

When I race I fucking love it, when I take a photo I love it, I haven't tuned yet nor really gone deep in the livery editor since I'm no artist, the menu music is so soothing. God dammit I need more time per day to do more lol... Can't imagine when everyone is fucking in here playing with us.

Slayer-33 said:
6221551990_47499f47c6_b.jpg

6221036681_27ccb9185b_b.jpg

6221563268_1c4bbb6a32_b.jpg

6221567922_bb9f1df5a6_b.jpg

6221045817_bebf41fc17_b.jpg

6221574254_a05e4d640f_b.jpg

6221581630_c64c6b6a0a_b.jpg

6221059769_3d0417bf5c_b.jpg

6221067371_39c9090e08_b.jpg

6221594950_cd8b88b6bc_b.jpg

6221595072_5c0100cfcf_b.jpg

Hmm started deleting old shots from the storefront, ghetto method lol

I'll post more today.. Can't wait to get bigshots, those are still compressed but look way better than how they looked in FM 3.

pseudocaesar said:
Nowhere near, according to Polyphony themselves its sitting at 6.37 Million.

That number is almost 1 year old. Game has even been popping out in charts again lately.

9 might be too high, but it's past 7 easily.

Theonik said:

I'm sure this isn't right, there's videos of 4 screen Forza setups iirc, one for rear view mirror + the usual triple screen setup and there was a picture posted recently of a much larger multiscreen setup too, maybe 5 screens wide?

pmj

chubigans said:
So uh, can someone please explain with the OT Forza 4 thread title means? Is it a song lyric or something?
It's a combination of some of Dan Greenwalt's talking points.

Definitive racing game, incubating features such as Kinect, Autovista sub 6 inch detail, reverse engineering the sun.

drugstore_cowboy said:
I'm sure this isn't right, there's videos of 4 screen Forza setups iirc, one for rear view mirror + the usual triple screen setup and there was a picture posted recently of a much larger multiscreen setup too, maybe 5 screens wide?

I believe Forza 2 supported some crazy number, like 8 screens? Not sure about Forza 3 and 4.

Niks

I cant believe no one has done this already....

Can someone who has both games please take photos of the same car in both games??
Thats the only way to tell for sure...
Bwahahaha

Shaneus

acidspunk said:
Yeah PGR4 was probably my best gaming purchase this year. It's such a great game. Been playing for the last 4 hours straight and didn't even notice. I just can't go back to Forza after PGR4 to be honest. I've played quite a bit of FM3 and it was a snoozefest all the way. Oh and PGR4 costs something like 5 euros.
Time really does fly in it. I've completed what must be at least 10 seasons in it, have around 1mil K even after purchasing everything in that "shop" yet I still fire it up.

I've updated that thread with some screenshots from my 360 that I managed to transfer and pull off USB. Some were from 2007 and still absolutely blow my mind. In particular, there's one with a slightly damaged Evo taking a hairpin in New York. Love it.

Xanadu

Banned
acidspunk said:
it seems you prefer arcade racers over simulators

Between my Forza 4 LE coming in the mail and GT5 Spec 2 + DLC my hype is now split fifty/fifty between the two games. Forza 4 for the Top Gear stuff, new audio, and hopefully less sterile driving experience, and GT5 in the hope that it becomes more user friendly and less restrictive.

Both games need more tracks though. The thought of DLC from both games is both awesome and terrifying, but I'll skip the cars and buy the tracks if there are any.

eso76

Take this, GT5 maserati pic !

yeah, i know it's not quite there but i tried.

4311.jpg

4312.jpg

4313.jpg

btw, fm4 rims shaders have something wrong ?

Dexa

Banned
gt5 did one thing neither forza 3 nor 4 have.
display for the gear for each turn - imo way more fun than driving on colored lines.

i would love to see this in forza :(

Shaneus

Dexa said:
gt5 did one thing neither forza 3 nor 4 have.
display for the gear for each turn - imo way more fun than driving on colored lines.

i would love to see this in forza :(
What? GT5 has an assist that you can't turn off?

That's fucking rubbish. Some "sim".

Shaneus said:
What? GT5 has an assist that you can't turn off?
You can't turn just that element of the HUD off but you can remove it. I appreciate it as someone still getting the hang of driving manual transmissions, but I know it annoys the hell out of some.

Shaneus

Holy shit, the rims look fine in those shots. Maybe only some wheels have weird lighting/reflections.

NullPointer said:
You can't turn just that element of the HUD off but you can remove it. I appreciate it as someone still getting the hang of driving manual transmissions, but I know it annoys the hell out of some.
But that's like not being able to disable rewind! Ridiculous! PD should be ashamed of themselves. Some "sim". Arcade racer is more like it.

eso76

Shaneus said:
Holy shit, the rims look fine in those shots. Maybe only some wheels have weird lighting/reflections.

some of them do look very strange actually- I think they didn't really get 'aluminium' right.
In some cases they look worse than fm3's imho, unfortunately, because everything else looks 10 times better.

Shaneus said:
But that's like not being able to disable rewind! Ridiculous! PD should be ashamed of themselves. Some "sim". Arcade racer is more like it.
I know you're joking, but some might not know you can turn it off. You can also disable rewind in Forza 4. Options are good.

And on that note GT5 has more options (I mean stuff like weather, night, transitions, dirt, snow, etc), but Forza provides a consistent standard of quality and accessibility across the board. I just hope the driving feels as satisfying as GT5 this time around, or at least close enough.

I just started playing GT5, only played FM3 in passing and FM4 demo so I'm not at all biased against one game or the other. I'm not sure which I prefer yet but just some impressions:

-FM has a much more solid framerate and no tearing
-GT5 is a bit unbalanced graphics wise but at it's best gt5 beats out both fm3-4 in car models and urban tracks. Outdoor goes to fm with better textures.
-fm4 has better AA
-menus and usability clearly go to fm.
-driving mechanics, drifting and physics go to gt5 though fm cars have more realistic weight
-lighting system easily goes to gt5
- variety of tracks and environments go to gt5

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
pmj said:
It's a combination of some of Dan Greenwalt's talking points.

Definitive racing game, incubating features such as Kinect, Autovista sub 6 inch detail, reverse engineering the sun.
Oh! Thanks, hah.

Jamesways

Slayer-33 said:
Since people are posting GT 5 screens

I'll post more today.. Can't wait to get bigshots, those are still compressed but look way better than how they looked in FM 3.

Slayer- holy shit at some of those pics! 8)

Oh wait, this is the trolling thread. I meant to say, I don't even know what those are supposed to be, cars? Pfft.

Top Bottom