• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Arklite

Mohonky said:
How do you figure?
The modes and content added between 4 and 5 are greater than what was added between the previous iterations, and it really is their biggest game. I see you're offended by the PS2 cars, but they added in more than just those.

Xanadu

Banned
i think gt5 was the biggest disappointment in the series, but so was forza 3

but it seems forza 4 is looking to be really good

Mush said:
If they keep supporting it, I'll have no problem playing till then.

Maybe if the nextbox supports Logitech wheels, I'll play some more Forza as well.

Or just buy a better wheel to play with the better game.

op_ivy said:
8650d1290794803-gt5-standard-car-pics-only-hu0cjt-jpg

What a STUNNA

Mohonky said:
I definitely believe they were dicking about between all the GT demos, parties, track dates etc. Seems like money, time and resources that would have been better spent on just getting the content finished up.

They have 160+ people working on the game and Kaz was the only one that really went out racing. I'd also say that his little trips paid off quite well for gamers

Yamauchi's decision to compete in a real race at Nurburgring comes from his passion for cars and racing, but more so from his firm belief that the Gran Turismo series mirrors the real world, and that skills attained in the game are 'transferable' to real life racing. But while his game and real world lap times might be identical, he told us that there were things he noticed on the real track that could be added and amended on the current game.

"It was only when I launched the IS F over the Nurburgring's numerous jumping spots (in the real race) that I realized the landing areas were not all flat, as I originally thought in the game," he says. "Some landing patches are sloped to the left, some to the right. This is just one of the many challenges of the track, and amendments I will make to the game. As I pushed the car around the 15.5-mile track, I also realized that some details were different. Some trees which drivers use for cornering or braking markers were not quite in the right place, while some small buildings need to be adjusted too."

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/1009_gran_turismo_5/viewall.html#ixzz1aGMNU7QB

End result is that the created the best version of what many people view as being the best racing course in the world.

Iknos

Gek54 said:
Unassist the steering and I will whore out my soul.

Me too.

Keeping assists in Forza is T10's way of keeping the debate alive.

SolidSnakex said:
They have 160+ people working on the game and Kaz was the only one that really went out racing. I'd also say that his little trips paid off quite well for gamers

More than that I think it helped him dial in the great FFB we see in GT5. T10 seems to get other drivers to come in and comment on the track and handling but since GT is Kaz's baby he obviously is interested in how the game reflects what he feels is right.

This also means you don't see a lot of creativity too its a double edged sword. T10's development structure is pretty interesting and puts a lot of ownership to the different departments.

SolidSnakex said:
End result is that the created the best version of what many people view as being the best racing course in the world.
Without a shadow of a doubt. And to be able to drive it through a full day/night transition is the best damn experience I've had in a racing game. Its gorgeous.

WeeBey

Neo Member
Can you guys help me choose between GT5 and Forza 4?

I have two overriding criteria:

1. A constant 60FPS. If neither game achieves this I'll settle for a constant 30FPS.

2. Realistic physics. E.g. The cars behave as they should on the tracks they're on and upgrades have the expected effect.

I skimmed this thread but it wasn't immediately clear. Those are my overriding concerns but if both games are comparable or it's a draw then which one has a better online experience? By better I mean fairer.

Help?

EDIT: Just noticed the Forza isn't out yet. It might have been to soon to ask.

Xanadu

Banned
WeeBey said:
Can you guys help me choose between GT5 and Forza 4?

I have two overriding criteria:

1. A constant 60FPS. If neither game achieves this I'll settle for a constant 30FPS.

2. Realistic physics. E.g. The cars behave as they should on the tracks they're on and upgrades have the expected effect.

I skimmed this thread but it wasn't immediately clear. Those are my overriding concerns but if both games are comparable or it's a draw then which one has a better online experience? By better I mean fairer.

Help?

EDIT: Just noticed the Forza isn't out yet. It might have been to soon to ask.
try the forza 4 demo (full games out in a few days), constant 60fps and very good physics on sim steering mode, GT5 is a great game too but it does drop frames a bit

Man....I decided to play PGR4 again after so long, after reading that one guy's post about PGR4....and holy shit..this game still holds up very well. It looks better than both Forza4 demo and GT5 while playing (and is more fun).....in replays tho....the other games give it a run for the money just cause the cars arent as good looking..but the enviroments in PGR4 KILL gt5 and Forza

Niks said:
I disagree.
Turn 10 still has to figure getting lighting and materials right before even beginning to think about rain and night racing. I bet thats not as easy, as they haven't been able to pull it off in two iterations of the game.

On the other hand, PD already has lighting/materials and cars down. They can now concentrate on ironing out things for GT6. Kaz already said that the premium cars in GT5 were designed with the PS4 in mind.

I was playing GT5 today and was in awe at how good the Lotus Elise's model looks. During the race I was hitting L1 to admire the front of the car and notice the small inner tear drop shaped headlights have the right sparkling quality to them. I looked at the car up close in photo mode and they nailed the difference in material properties between the the main headlights and the tear drop shaped lights. I can't find the right word to use, but the way they look is very different from each other, and the Polyphony model looks so much like the real thing. I have no idea how good Forza's Elise looks. It would be an interesting point of comparison.

Xanadu

Banned
Death Dealer said:
I was playing GT5 today and was in awe at how good the Lotus Elise's model looks. During the race I was hitting L1 to admire the front of the car and notice the small inner tear drop shaped headlights have the right sparkling quality to them. I looked at the car up close in photo mode and they nailed the difference in material properties between the the main headlights and the tear drop shaped lights. I can't find the right word to use, but the way they look is very different from each other, and the Polyphony model looks so much like the real thing. I have no idea how good Forza's Elise looks. It would be an interesting point of comparison.
not as good, but that level on detail in GT5 comes with a price :/

Shaneus

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Man....I decided to play PGR4 again after so long, after reading that one guy's post about PGR4....and holy shit..this game still holds up very well. It looks better than both Forza4 demo and GT5 while playing (and is more fun).....in replays tho....the other games give it a run for the money just cause the cars arent as good looking..but the enviroments in PGR4 KILL gt5 and Forza
Yup. I think it's to the credit of Bizarre that they actually stream all the environment textures rather than load them into memory, allowing for higher detail. It does only run at 30fps, but they've nailed the motion blur so it doesn't feel as bad as you'd think. Almost feels like 60 at times with how smooth it is (even though it's obviously not).

Iknos said:
More than that I think it helped him dial in the great FFB we see in GT5. T10 seems to get other drivers to come in and comment on the track and handling but since GT is Kaz's baby he obviously is interested in how the game reflects what he feels is right.

The FFB quality is also helped by them programming the game with the wheel as the primary device to play the game. The DS3 is secondary. Certainly a risky decision since the majority of people will be playing with DS3's, but it's great for those of us that own wheels.

After finally playing the F4 demo yesterday...

- Graphics are very nice. As discussed to death here, they can't reach GT5's high points, but are more consistent and smooth. Swiss track is gorgeous (But I'm expecting the older tracks to show their age moreso than in F3).

- Driving model without aids is just not where GT5 is yet. It feels easier and more assisted/arcadey.

- Menus are slick, but load times are annoying as well.

I'll wait for a price drop and probably dive back into Spec 2.

schennmu said:
- Driving model without aids is just not where GT5 is yet. It feels easier and more assisted/arcadey.

I loved it when I was driving the Subaru (AWD), fast left corner, full gas, 3rd gear I think... and the back frigging started to powerslide!!! wth

Shaneus

Just fired up GT5 for the first time in ages to get my free prize. So many bad design decisions blasting me in the face. 20mil credit limit (so if I want the most from the 5mil seasonal prize, I need to spend at least 5mil before I enter the race), paint chips, horns(?!?), custom songs changing each menu, buy car->get in car?->paint notification->back to main menu->dealerships (all with changes of music in between), rolling "used car dealership"... ugh.

Shaneus

Not *that* simple. Something worked on for so long shouldn't have so many bizarre design choices. To this day, the usage of paint chips completely baffles me.

offshore

Shaneus said:
Not *that* simple. Something worked on for so long shouldn't have so many bizarre design choices. To this day, the usage of paint chips completely baffles me.
I really wish they'd get rid of of the paint chip system, it's so fucking dumb it's not even funny. Just make every chip unlocked and unrestricted. That will be enough to tide me over until this mythical GT livery editor appears.

Shaneus

offshore said:
I really wish they'd get rid of of the paint chip system, it's so fucking dumb it's not even funny. Just make every chip unlocked and unrestricted. That will be enough to tide me over until this mythical GT livery editor appears.
I don't think that's ever going to happen. It's one of the features GT5 could borrow (or be inspired, or steal, or whatever) that would indicate a blatant influence... I doubt PD would do that. Probably just allow customisations to the extent of a few sponsors or a race number or something.

Shaneus said:
I don't think that's ever going to happen. It's one of the features GT5 could borrow (or be inspired, or steal, or whatever) that would indicate a blatant influence... I doubt PD would do that. Probably just allow customisations to the extent of a few sponsors or a race number or something.

They're actually working on a livery editor. Kaz mentioned it around the time that GT5 was released.

kneePat

Shaneus said:

This. Its also funny how many people are willing to swallow so many pills in regards to PD and its numerous short comings, but in regards to Forza's design choices they are always different or wrong and make the entire game unpalatable. GT5 is just acceptable at this point and PD has been doing this for much longer, so Forza will always be the little brother to many people (including myself at one point). Forza has implemented everything they wanted to well past adequacy and mediocrity in a shorter period of time.

offshore

SolidSnakex said:
They're actually working on a livery editor. Kaz mentioned it around the time that GT5 was released.
Well, he didn't explicitly say they were working on it, he said it's "on our list of things to do", so how high it is on that list is anyone's guess.

spwolf

Shaneus said:
Just fired up GT5 for the first time in ages to get my free prize. So many bad design decisions blasting me in the face. 20mil credit limit (so if I want the most from the 5mil seasonal prize, I need to spend at least 5mil before I enter the race), paint chips, horns(?!?), custom songs changing each menu, buy car->get in car?->paint notification->back to main menu->dealerships (all with changes of music in between), rolling "used car dealership"... ugh.

yes, all the important parts of driving/racing simulation.

i cant believe music changes when you change the menu, i shall never play the game again.

eso76

4702.jpg

tried but lighting conditions are quite different.

Not bad anyway, but it seems Forza lacks some diversity in materials.
Those metal "pistons" lifting the spoiler are basically shader-less, exhaust are not chrome etc. And glass, yeah, glass should be more reflective.

4705.jpg
4709.jpg

Shaneus

spwolf said:

i cant believe music changes when you change the menu, i shall never play the game again.
Graphics aren't necessarily important to driving/racing simulation but people still bitch about it here. Case in point.

tusken77

spwolf said:

lol Yeah right? I love GT Life, I hope it's not tinkered with too much in Spec 2.0.

Dead Man

I will never understand the people saying the terrible game wrapped around the brilliant driving in GT5 doesn't matter. Of course it matters, it's how you influence the brilliant driving, and you spend a lot of time not driving in GT5.

Loudninja

Dead Man said:
I will never understand the people saying the terrible game wrapped around the brilliant driving in GT5 doesn't matter. Of course it matters, it's how you influence the brilliant driving, and you spend a lot of time not driving in GT5.
What?

Dead Man

Loudninja said:
Lots of people seem to be willing to ignore all of GT5's flaws because they consider them incidental to the driving. I can't. The design of the game is at the core of the enjoyment derived to me. I cannot say a game that has so many bizarre decisions in its design is a great game. It is a great driving experience, but it is a terrible anything else experience.

eso76 said:
tried but lighting conditions are quite different.
Yeah there's so much missing on Forza's lighting system. The way the light penetrates the car's light clusters in GT5 is almost photorealistic. Forza is so far behind in this area. The upgrade from 3 to 4 has got them about halfway there.

offshore

Dead Man said:
I cannot say a game that has so many bizarre decisions in its design is a great game.
I can't either.

No doubt on the track GT5 is amazing, but those game design decisions...I never get tired of moaning about them because they're so fucked up :lol

spwolf

Dead Man said:
Lots of people seem to be willing to ignore all of GT5's flaws because they consider them incidental to the driving. I can't. The design of the game is at the core of the enjoyment derived to me. I cannot say a game that has so many bizarre decisions in its design is a great game. It is a great driving experience, but it is a terrible anything else experience.

yes, having to press x two times instead of one or music changing when screen changes, we should all boycott the game... just terrible.

then i guess a lot of you loved dirt menus, right? lol.

Dead Man

offshore said:
I can't either.

No doubt on the track GT5 is amazing, but those game design decisions...I never get tired of moaning about them because they're so fucked up :lol
LOL, same. I have an absolute love/hate affair with the game. I am still playing it, but bitching about all the shit that is still so irritating!

spwolf said:
yes, having to press x two times instead of one or music changing when screen changes, we should all boycott the game... just terrible.

then i guess a lot of you loved dirt menus, right? lol.
Or, I could just misrepresent the other viewpoint to try and score internet points... but that wouldn't actually achieve much, would it?

Top Bottom