• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

eso76

Pazuzu9 said:
Yeah there's so much missing on Forza's lighting system.

no, i meant lighting conditions are different on that track, lighting is duller and darker in fm4. But yeah, fm4 is not quite there yet, but coming close.

nrburgring24hhmjzg.jpg

Charles said:
So you say, but I honestly can't tell in which direction. Both games look awesome, give it a rest people.
Well one of them could almost pass as a photograph, and the other one looks like a game. If you can't tell which one could pass as a photograph, you need to look at more photographs.

Ploid 3.0

The model looks more detailed too. Rounder edges, more believable folds, etc. It's doing a good trick to make it look realistic, I want to say organic (not angular, or boxy). The lighting, and the way the paint looks like it's on a actual car finish it off.

Majanew

Banned
Too bad these games are played in motion. Back when I had GT5, the framerate drops, screen-tearing and that hideous crawling shadow on the cars really hampered the "looks". As did the hundreds of PS2 cars and even some of the tracks were ugly. Need more pics of those tracks lol.

Photomode adds more AA and the ugly jaggy shadows are tidied up, but otherwise it's still a fair comparison of the technology, in terms of shaders and model/track quality.

The lighting, models, and tracks are the same during gameplay. At least, they are for GT5. Forza seems to have more intensive LOD scaling on the cars during gameplay, which I'm sure helps maintain their solid framerate better than GT.

And the other reason is, not many people have the equipment to take direct feed screenshots of gameplay.

It might be a decent comparison of technology but it just seems pointless since it does add AA etc and the moments captured in them will never look as good in-game. Not to mention the angles are a lot better etc.

It's just like comparing two bullshots to me.

Not one moment on in-game action in GT5 has ever looked half as good as that 'ring photo up there.

offshore

Foliorum Viridum said:
Not one moment on in-game action in GT5 has ever looked half as good as that 'ring photo up there.
Really?

Ring + Premium + Dusk or Dawn + No HUD = fucking incredible. Not so good in bright sunshine, though Polyphony unfortunately can't seem to nail bright sunlight at all.

Toxa

Foliorum Viridum said:

this shot was taken with dynamic weather.

with dynamic weather when the sky is cloudy the lighting is very realistic. once , I was driving the Mclaren F1 Stealth in cockpit view and it looked real to me

Foliorum Viridum said:
It might be a decent comparison of technology but it just seems pointless since it does add AA etc and the moments captured in them will never look as good in-game. Not to mention the angles are a lot better etc.

It's just like comparing two bullshots to me.

But as I said, the lighting, the models and track accuracy, are all the same during gameplay. The image quality is obviously ridiculous in photomode compared to realtime, but all the assets are there in realtime. If photomode was able to hide every flaw, I wouldn't be seeing the innacurate modelling of the LFA's diffuser in the Forza shot and the hundreds of innaccuracies in the Forza track model.

Yoritomo

I'd rather have a slightly inaccurate vehicle model than having a piss poor default car setup. Is the brake bias still wrong for basically every car in GT5?

Dibbz said:
Guys someone replicate these in Forza.
Indeed ;P

I don't need rain in my driving game but damn if I didn't wish Forza offered more variety in surface and track conditions. Whats the use of a sweet driving model and physics engine if you're going to so limit its use?

Angst

Loudninja said:
Man you guys are really crazy lol :)
Best thread on GAF. :)

This thread keeps almost all of the silliness out of the real threads. Before trolls used to show up in the pre-release thread and post hundred of pics of the other game. I think the F3 pre-release thread was the worst, bogged down by now-banned gt-fans posting post after post with GT5P pics.

Dibbz said:
Guys someone replicate these in Forza.

[]http://h6.abload.de/img/gt5-toscana02v752.gif[/img]

[]http://www.abload.de/img/gt5-rain_audi0uxp.gif[/img]

Incoming comments about the aliasing and low res drops in 3... 2... 1...

Yoritomo

Oh man, someone post a pick of trailbraking with abs off in a MR car in forza then we'll see if someone can replicate it in GT5.

At least the gifs are an accurate representation of the framerate...

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Incoming comments about the aliasing and low res drops in 3... 2... 1...
What most people don't understand is that the drops are actually dynamic. When you stop they slow down, when you skid to the left the drops also skids to the left. When you start reversing and look out through the back window the drops start going upwards instead of down. I haven't seen that in any other game.

Mohonky

When you see the photo modes, big difference. When you see them running though, the gap is far less apparent.

I wasn't wowed by the graphics in the Forza demo, but then again when I had GT5 I was really underwhelmed by the in game visuals, they didn't come close to the photomode pics. Both games look great but I found the leap between gameplay and photomode on GT5 pretty huge.

Mascot

pmj said:
It's a combination of some of Dan Greenwalt's talking points.

Definitive racing game, incubating features such as Kinect, Autovista sub 6 inch detail, reverse engineering the sun.

Nobody from Turn 10 actually said that. I coined the phrase in one of the Forza threads and it kind of caught on.

(BTW, both the GT and FM series are brilliant. I know! I must be mad!)

offshore

Angst said:
What most people don't understand is that the drops are actually dynamic. When you stop they slow down, when you skid to the left the drops also skids to the left. When you start reversing and look out through the back window the drops start going upwards instead of down. I haven't seen that in any other game.
Agree that PD clearly put an amazing amount of thought into them. The way they drive up from the windscreen is cool and the way they illuminate according to the colour of barriers if you crash is also cool.

Doesn't change the fact that they still look like total garbage. Hopefully on PS4 it'll all be different. GT5's rain effects on more powerful hardware could be something really special. Snow OTOH needs a ton of work...

Dead Man

SPEEDxNASTY said:
GT5 features the best... and also the worse.

Question: how is the online experience with GT5?
(that's a question, I'm not trolling)
As ever with GT5, the driving is brilliant. The setup options somewhat less so.

offshore

SPEEDxNASTY said:
Question: how is the online experience with GT5?
You'll see a lot of this:

3phTn.gif

I mentioned it ages ago, but in over nine months I've only ever had one night's racing on GT5 where black screen of death didn't happen.

The Stealth Fox

Listen guyz... you guys need to stop fighting. The reviewers say Forza 4 is better than GT5.

Shinn says Forza 4 is better than GT5. I think it's quite clear who the winner is.

The reviewers also deliberately lied about NBA 2k12... highest rated basketball game turned out to be the scam of the year

KKRT00

offshore said:
You'll see a lot of this:

http://i.imgur.com/3phTn.gif[IMG]

I mentioned it ages ago, but in over nine months I've only ever had one night's racing on GT5 where black screen of death didn't happen.[/QUOTE]
Strange, i havent had any of those or any of my colleagues from other board. We successfully played online for more than a month.

Mush

The Stig

I have one or 2 friends I play with in the GT5 lobby. It's great. I really like how you can change EVERYTHING on the fly.

Is F3 or F4 like that?

I have F3 but never really played it online.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Here is my 2 cents on the topic. And this is mostly dealing with myh experience based off the forza 4 demo and forza 3.

- GT5 is the best looking easily. Even if you think its close you still cant deny that playing GT5 in 1080p is amazing.

- game play GT5's driving model just feels better. It also has more types of racing.

- Where forza shines and the main reason why it is my favorite of the 2 is how the single player game flows. GT5s does not flow at all which is the single hurdle keeping it from godlike status. When ever I want to race I always choose forza3 over Gt5 simply because I do not ant to wade through a bunch of menus to get going.

Top Bottom