• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Apex

fm4assistedsteering2q1g.gif

:/

KKRT00

pmj said:
And they're a lot better than those in GT5!
Not even close, both have low resolution shadows, both have problems with blurring them out, but precision in GT 5 is much better and all geometry cast shadows, not only some like in Turn10's game.

Forza series is quickly starting to catch GT5 in terms of visuals. Still not quite there though. Its good though, GT5 needs some legit competition to keep it on its toes.

offshore

KingOfKong said:
Forza series is quickly starting to catch GT5 in terms of visuals. Still not quite there though. Its good though, GT5 needs some legit competition to keep it on its toes.
Competition only works if both sides are paying attention and reacting to what each other is doing.

Polyphony certainly haven't been doing that. Although maybe that they're feeling the need to release Spec II on Forza's release date should be interpreted as a good sign.

KingDizzi

Banned
SunhiLegend said:
How can you call it a sim if there are forced assists, why did Turn10 keep them in?

So every 7 year old can feel like a superstar, also game reviewers of the same mental age. Worked out as well. :0

erahk64

SunhiLegend said:
How can you call it a sim if there are forced assists, why did Turn10 keep them in?

It seems to be a bug in simulation steering mode when using 900 degrees.
A guy in this forum had contact with Dan and he says they will look into it.
Forza is just a arcade racer if they don't fix the linearity changes/"assist".

amar212

SunhiLegend said:

Because they though nobody would really notice and there will be no real fuss if anyone notice it.

And I am 100% certain they knew that both linearity-buffer and overall rear-axle buffer are built in the physics, as well as I'm 90% certain they will not update it to full-no-assist model or allow us to have full 900-degree 1:1 steering.

Time will tell, but I don't not buy "it is a bug" explanation.

1) they said they are aware how many serious players were disappointed with steering-buffer assist in FM3

2) they announce new Simulation mode that will have no assists

3) they go into serious partnership with very serious company - and Fanatec is VERY serious about their business, trust me - in order to allow players of their game to experience it properly

4) Somebody just HAD TO DO some testing for God's sake and I really hope that serious players were doing those testings

5) they release the demo, assist is there, people who have green codes and 900 wheels also confirms how assists is on the final code too

6) first they arrogantly deny the assist

7) than, they blame Fanatec (I was beyond words when they said it it Fanatec's fault)

7a) I guess Thomas was not happy how they've blamed him

8) Then they finally acknowledge but say it is a bug.

It is not a bug. Bug is when you have something in the code that is small and annoying and doing some crazy stuff.

This is a deliberate built-in mechanism that prevents you from loosing the grip on rear-axle almost completely when lateral movement becomes loose and that creates a crazy non-linear buffer in 900 mode. It is not a bug. And I personally think it will never be fully fixed too.

eso76

Metalmurphy said:
Ok then,

better textures
better (more realistic) lighting
better car models
one is an online race the other one isn't

Forza 4 has more people in the crowds though. There's that.

Oh, come on. You're just denying the obvious.
GT5 does look better in a lot of cases, but in these particular vids there's absolutely no comparison.
The environment looks one generation apart in terms of geometry and textures.

1) Textures ? Please. Pause the GT5 video 19" in. I actually had to double check it wasn't GT4 in some places.

2) Lighting is absolutely 100% the same quality here. Dawn, dusk etc are worlds apart in GT5, but there isn't a significant difference in regular sunny weather.

3) We know gt5's are more detailed, but it doesn't really show here.

4) so ?

erahk64

amar212 said:
6) first they arrogantly deny the assist

7) than, they blame Fanatec (I was beyond words when they said it it Fanatec's fault)

I read some quotes that was supposed to be from Dan, I don't think that is what he said if the quotes are correct.

6) When he says there is no assist, he seems to refer to another thing (probably a assist
used while not being in simulation steering mode). After he saw a video, he said there is a
bug.

7) He says the problem is isolated to 900 degree wheels. He doesn't specifically say the fault
is located in the wheel, maybe he is referring to how the game handles 900
degree/Fanatec wheels.

eso76 said:
Oh, come on. You're just denying the obvious.
GT5 does look better in a lot of cases, but in these particular vids there's absolutely no comparison.
The environment looks one generation apart in terms of geometry and textures.

1) Textures ? Please. Pause the GT5 video 19" in. I actually had to double check it wasn't GT4 in some places.

2) Lighting is absolutely 100% the same quality here. Dawn, dusk etc are worlds apart in GT5, but there isn't a significant difference in regular sunny weather.

3) We know gt5's are more detailed, but it doesn't really show here.

4) so ?

And you expect me to take the rest seriously?

Xanadu

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
I'm serious, I thought the bottom one was a photo and the top was GT.
ha

i cant tell if you guys are serious or not when posting review scores and shit, seriously? most of the reviewers dont take TCS off and arent even petrol heads in general..watch gamespots review of both GT5 and forza 4, that guys a joke

The Stealth Fox said:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize this wasn't a trolling thread.

Considering no comparisons at all are allowed on the other threads, this is the only place to do them, but trolls have a green card as well here.

tusken77

Metalmurphy said:
Looks pretty good actually except for the lack of body roll, great that they have the same camera angles as the show.

Agreed, jokes about plastic-looking cars aside, this is the one thing of Forza's that I'd really like in GT - the Top Gear Test Track properly utilised.

The Stealth Fox

brotkasten said:
1,000+ cars, my friend.

1,000+ cars.

Hah!

When I actually DROVE the standards, I was surprised that there was so much fuss about them. I had a buddy tell me that even though he hated the idea of standards when they were revealed, when he got the game, he said "I really don't have an issue with them". I was shocked because he's more graphically nitpicky than I am. The lighting system really does save everything, at least when you're driving.

I do wish they would just clean up some of the standards though, like the Berlinette. Maybe for Spec 3.

eso76

Metalmurphy said:
And you expect me to take the rest seriously?

frankly i don't really care. It's just true; while the difference is huge in dawn and dusk, sunny weather isn't that different at all.
GT5 still has better shaders for many materials but *while i agree it often does* i don't think anyone can honestly say gt5 looks better here.

gt5zrd9.jpg
fm45q4j.jpg

gt52mosa.jpg
fm42vqjc.jpg

gt531o9q.jpg
fm43drfe.jpg

gt54ypyu.jpg
fm44bolo.jpg

Majanew

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
Numbers mean everything, at least according to Forza fans.
Well, what else is one supposed to go by when they claim objective superiority? If not critical acclaim...then total sales? Black Ops is the greatest FPS and game ever made!

Top Bottom