• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

GTP_Daverytimes said:
The Nurburgring is also like that, the only track that i have seen so far in Forza 4 with a respectable draw distance is the Alps.

Damn... that really is something from the PSX times. Surely not even GT3 had that bad of a draw distance... at least it didn't use that ugly N64-like fog.

And I reaaaally really prefer the low-res of the alpha effects to the almost non-existance of them in Forza. Those loads of smoke and the rain spray and the way the back and front lights of car and the shadows of the track affects them is really something unique on consoles. I also prefer some low-res shadows when everything casts a very realistic and immersive shadow.

I've just done a dusk-to-night online race on GT5 with the GAF crew and when the sun sets it really changes the game. You really need to know the track.

kazinova

I'd love to run some sort of experiment to determine how many GT5 players only play GT5 and not FM4, and the same for Forza players. It might not be an interesting statistic but I'd love to know.

Also, comparison shots of non-premium cars GT5 to the same car in Fora 4 ends this discussion.

Also, cars in GT5 by country...
Australia: 3 Cars
Belgium: 1 Cars
Canada: 2 Cars
France: 48 Cars
Germany: 109 Cars
Italy: 57 Cars
Japan: 619 Cars
Korea: 8 Cars
Netherlands: 1 Cars
Spain: 1 Cars
Sweden: 3 Cars
UK: 64 Cars
USA: 131 Cars
Really? WTF?

kazinova said:
I'd love to run some sort of experiment to determine how many GT5 players only play GT5 and not FM4, and the same for Forza players. It might not be an interesting statistic but I'd love to know.

Also, comparison shots of non-premium cars GT5 to the same car in Fora 4 ends this discussion.

Really? WTF?

Playstation Chronicle: There has been a long-standing question about how cars and manufacturers are added to the GT franchise. How does PD acquire the cars? Do you pay for any licenses or do you depend on the generosity of the manufacturers to gift all car models to GT and is that why GT ended up with so many similar models of one car?

Kaz: We pay a license fee for all the cars to include in GT. And it's true that there is a lot of variations depending on the model, and that's because we've been affected strongly by the automotive culture in Japan from the 1990's. The huge number of variations there were in the R32 Skyline and the Mazda MX5's, are prime examples. Back then there was meaning to each of the fine differences, and the selection of which model variation to drive was important to the user. Looking at it now I also think that there's too many.

Xanadu

Banned
kazinova said:

Really? WTF?
most of them being skylines lol

JWong

Banned
kazinova said:

Really? WTF?
Wat? What are these cars?

Ty4on

rvy said:
Watch them remove a lot of the "useless" cars in GT6 only for people to bitch and moan how they should have been kept.
They removed cars in GT3 and it was the best selling and is currently considered the best by many fans. The low number of cars also made it possible to release it in 2001 when the PS2 was still new.

lol at some of the horribleness in GT5 smoke effects. I actually bought the game but its backlogged and still wrapped.

that said, I might buy forza 3 cheap instead of getting forza4.

rvy

Banned
Ty4on said:
They removed cars in GT3 and it was the best selling and is currently considered the best by many fans. The low number of cars also made it possible to release it in 2001 when the PS2 was still new.
I didn't say that it was wrong for the cars to be removed :p.

FStop7

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
They released a cartoon version of Top Gear?!

85b35feaccf2c212fb4e340030871423.jpg

kazinova

JWong said:
Wat? What are these cars?
I have absolutely no clue.

For comparison the Forza 4 breakdown (missing a few cars):
Australia 7
France 22
Germany 95
Italy 69
Japan 118
Netherlands 1
South Korea 7
Spain 5
Sweden 11
UN 1
United Kingdom 55
USA 140

witness

kazinova said:

Really? WTF?

So much fucking garbage to, how many versions of S2000s and Skylines do we need? Along with the ridiculous amount of shitty small cars no one gives a fuck about. Polyphony would have looked so much better just adding more premium cars to the game, and lets say ending up with 300-400 cars in the game instead of these shitty 10 year old japanese vehicles no one cars about. An utter waste.

bud

witness said:
So much fucking garbage to, how many versions of S2000s and Skylines do we need? Along with the ridiculous amount of shitty small cars no one gives a fuck about. Polyphony would have looked so much better just adding more premium cars to the game, and lets say ending up with 300-400 cars in the game instead of these shitty 10 year old japanese vehicles no one cars about. An utter waste.

most of those are standard cars, though.

KKRT00

witness said:
Thanks for deciding for all...

For example i collected all Evolution cars, because i'm a fan of those, but hey just throw them away! I dont like them, so no one else cant enjoy them too...
Oh and of course its not like Japan have many car manufactures to support like Honda, Toyota, Suzuki, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Hyundai. They must be biased!

BTW people think that PD was making standards for GT 5? No, they've just upscaled, only cars they made for GT 5 were premiums, all 240 [not 200!] of them.

mrfolego

Banned
phosphor112 said:
Gran Turismo started as a Japanese audience franchise...
Okay, I will also pretend that GT isn't a world renowned video game.. I am sure that even in JPN not everyone appreciated the incredible amount of modelled Nissans that were prioritized before the rest of the game's unfinished content

Lingitiz

As a fairly casual racer who got bored with Forza 3 fairly quickly, and whose last GT game was A-Spec, can someone sell me a bit on GT5?

Angst

witness said:
If they remove just one of the weird variations you can be 100 % sure that someone will bitch about it, start a thread on GTPlanet and we'll never hear the end of it.

But they didn't prioritize them for GT5, that's the thing - that's why they are standards and not premiums.
Risk Breaker said:
So I read on the Forza thread that there aren't any endurance races and that the pitting is utterly bad, is this right?
How can they mess up things like that?

spwolf

mrfolego said:
Okay, I will also pretend that GT isn't a world renowned video game.. I am sure that even in JPN not everyone appreciated the incredible amount of modelled Nissans that were prioritized before the rest of the game's unfinished content

what game, GT4? lol.

btw, why would they remove the cars? less is better? wtf?

spwolf

Lingitiz said:
As a fairly casual racer who got bored with Forza 3 fairly quickly, and whose last GT game was A-Spec, can someone sell me a bit on GT5?

there is crazy amount of different shit in GT5... game is gigantic. If you like driving/racing, you cant be bored of it.

TheOddOne

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Someone please tell me Dan didn't say all those shit this guy mentioned, if he did then he has to be the most pathetic developer. How much excuses can you make
considering the "Source" is right
My question is though, whats his source? Trust me if Dan said that the Forza 4 thread would have murderd that comment.

mrfolego

Banned
spwolf said:
uhm, poster few posts above mine.... and you apparently thought they somehow spent time on these GT4 models?

did you guys play GT5?
I would have liked if they touched those cars, prioritization dude. You're just flinging shit but I guess this is the thread for it

RankoSD

Lingitiz said:
If you use a joypad then I wouldn't recommend it to you, but if you have a wheel:

2ebyft5.gif

mrfolego

Banned
gogogow said:
Just downloaded this monster and won shitloads of money with the new event :D
Is the car gift and event American only? I was waiting to update till spec2 arrived

edit:
Mush said:
All regions afaik.
Thanks, I think I will try to wait the week out long as I can incase the update hits before the gift deadline :>

phosphor112 said:
The game still has 200+ cars that exceed the quality of what Forza has. It's people like you that like to dwell on the whole "80%" thing.

You're right. Why should people focus on the MAJORITY of the game.

I mean it's only 80% of the cars that are garbage.

Can someone be kind enough to post the "standard vs premium" tracks? That we can get get a percentage on that also.

spwolf

mrfolego said:
I am sure that even in JPN not everyone appreciated the incredible amount of modelled Nissans that were prioritized before the rest of the game's unfinished content

mrfolego said:
I would have liked if they touched those cars, prioritization dude. You're just flinging shit but I guess this is the thread for it

huh? first you didnt like all the Nissans and then you wanted them to update them?
Did the desire for the update of GT4 models come from the realization that they were not?

spwolf

RukusProvider said:
I mean it's only 80% of the cars that are garbage.

standard cars have same physics models as premium ones... they are great for racing.
Do you hate cars? Is that the question?

You guys realize all the idea behind all those different specs cars? Kaz explained it the quote on this page.

Top Bottom