• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Solal said:
GT5 career mode is old and boring now. Especially when it s the 5th time you do that! AND, people who bought GT1 at 20yo are now 35, they have a job, kids...they know how to drive! you have to propose them something different than what they were playing 15 years ago.

The fuck is this shit.

nib95

Banned
Solal said:
Everytime you criticize GT5 you're called a troll... GT community at its best.
That's because you've made asinine flat out factually wrong claims such as GT's game mechanics not changing since GT1. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and are actually trolling.

There have actually been some, among the crap, decent arguments from Sim fans for both games. Yours unfortunately is not one of them.

tusken77

Curufinwe said:
9 million with the PS3's comparatively small userbase would be a fantastic achievement.

If I'm not mistaken, GT5 is currently the second biggest selling game on the PS3. Only behind the beast that is Black Ops.

Solal

nib95 said:
That's because you've made asinine flat out factually wrong claims such as GT's game mechanics not changing since GT1. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and are actually trolling.

There have actually been some, among the crap, decent arguments from Sim fans for both games. Yours unfortunately is not one of them.

I think I'll survive your nasty, nasty, nasty comment.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
tusken77 said:
If I'm not mistaken, GT5 is currently the second biggest selling game on the PS3. Only behind the beast that is Black Ops.
MW2 would be higher, probably.

Oh and GTA4 maybe, since that does pretty well in Europe.

-MikePriester- said:
Genuine question.

Now people have Spec II update, are there any improvements in the framerate/screentear? I know their is from the release of the game, just wondered if it's been worked on for this update.

Thanks
I see plenty of screen tear still on my 80Gig BC PS3. Its not lessened any as far as I can tell although I may be more sensitive to it nowadays since I've been PC gaming more.

paskowitz

Stripper13 said:
What?

I read through that thread and found nothing even mildly entertaining. A comment implying forza is an arcade game, and a whole bunch of people combining Gran Turismo and Forza for a new name.

Wut.

Walks away crying... I thought it was funny.

statham

tusken77 said:
Imagining combinations can be fun! Ever wonder what it would be like if the Polyphony Gods and the Naughty Gods got together and had a baby?
it would be called bulletstorm. and it wouldn't sell.

Shaneus

tusken77 said:
Imagining combinations can be fun! Ever wonder what it would be like if the Polyphony Gods and the Naughty Gods got together and had a baby?
It would have a gestation period of about 9 years?

hirokazu

Solal said:
Everytime you criticize GT5 you're called a troll... GT community at its best.
No, that's because there is genuine criticism of GT5, and then there's blatant trolling.

I'm sorry that people could identify which of these you belonged to.

Nobody is being nasty at you, they were responding to your points. You were initially criticising a freaking opening video, then you start mentioning dumb shit to try back up your point.

But I guess this is what this thread is for. No need to accuse others when they call you a troll or call them nasty when they refute your points.

Solal said:
My answer to Commedieu should answer your questions: I feel like GT is turning around without trying anything to renew the experience.

When I talk about the game mechanics, i speak of the career mode :it s the same grinding system (forcing you to play 10 times the same race) as GT1... same licences... but now plagued by a stupid used car turn over that prevents you from buying the car you want unless you are lucky.

Not speaking of the B spec mode that defies any logic...

GT5 career mode is old and boring now. Especially when it s the 5th time you do that! AND, people who bought GT1 at 20yo are now 35, they have a job, kids...they know how to drive! you have to propose them something different than what they were playing 15 years ago. Put it that way: I don't have the time, and i don"t have any pleasure racing in a Micra against stupid AI forever and ever...etc... It just does not work anymore.

I love GT but agree with this very much. The system was revolutional in GT1 and did hold up pretty well over the years, but in 2011 they need to renew the system in some way.

test_account

XP-39C²
tusken77 said:
Yep, when all's said and done, when/if the game surpasses 10 million, considering the much smaller install base of the PS3 compared to the PS2, that GT5 sales figure will be monstrous.
If you count in the sales for GT5 Prologue, it is actually around 10 million now :) Of course there is a lot of overlapping sales, people who bought both GT5:p and GT5, but a sale is a sale =)

iceatcs

Shaneus said:
And of course, sales = quality. Just look at Angry Birds.
That was exclusive common on 360 side.
Someone told me off AAA is only mean number of sale and 360 is only system this gen have AAA titles.

offshore

I think the term you were looking for Solal was game design, not game mechanics. The mechanics IMO equal the physics, and they have always been improved with every edition, and even with Spec II (allegedly). And as a racing/sim/driving game, whatever you want to call it, that's what we want.

What you mean to say is that the game design hasn't changed since GT1 - and it hasn't. It's still the same broken design from years gone by, and it's out of date, and feels it as well. The same tuning options, the same events, the same [limited] customisation...it's never changed. And that's a very valid criticism of GT.

Solal

offshore said:
I think the term you were looking for Solal was game design, not game mechanics. The mechanics IMO equal the physics, and they have always been improved with every edition, and even with Spec II (allegedly). And as a racing/sim/driving game, whatever you want to call it, that's what we want.

What you mean to say is that the game design hasn't changed since GT1 - and it hasn't. It's still the same broken design from years gone by, and it's out of date, and feels it as well. The same tuning options, the same events, the same [limited] customisation...it's never changed. And that's a very valid criticism of GT.

Yes. Game design is the proper term. As you have noticed: english is not my original language so...

Tx for making my point clearer.

ssolitare said:
Forza's "meat mode" isn't much different from GT at all, so don't give it a free pass either.

Actually you're wrong. It's awesome how it molds to the car you choose. If you want to race F cars, do it and the career mode creates a path for you for the most part. You don't have to look at a race you want to try and then see if the car that would qualify is even available.

It's night and day, there's no free pass, Forza earned it.

While Forza 3's career mode was mind-numbing and boring they really stepped it up with Forza 4 and just the in between race screens where it goes to a map and then a satellite picture of the place you're racing really makes you feel like you're traveling and accomplishing something. Plus the narrator is a nice touch (at the beginning at least lol).

I'm not sure how long you can continue with the same car as I've only played a couple hours in an F car and in a Sweeeeeet BMW 2002, but I just chose a car, and it started a path for me.

Now, I say this because I like it better but I also like GT5's way of doing it. It laid out what I had to do and what I had to acquire. The only thing I didn't like (not sure if they changed it - haven't played in a bit) is that it was annoying to choose cars for a particular event. It would have been nice if you could sort cars by events to see what car would be useable in a certain event. Like either have a section on the race itself called "available cars for purchase". I believe the did patch in something of the sort for your garage, but being able to see what cars you could buy either online in the used car section or offline would have been a huge step forward.

flyinpiranha said:
Actually you're wrong. It's awesome how it molds to the car you choose. If you want to race F cars, do it and the career mode creates a path for you for the most part. You don't have to look at a race you want to try and then see if the car that would qualify is even available.

It's night and day, there's no free pass, Forza earned it.

While Forza 3's career mode was mind-numbing and boring they really stepped it up with Forza 4 and just the in between race screens where it goes to a map and then a satellite picture of the place you're racing really makes you feel like you're traveling and accomplishing something. Plus the narrator is a nice touch (at the beginning at least lol).

I'm not sure how long you can continue with the same car as I've only played a couple hours in an F car and in a Sweeeeeet BMW 2002, but I just chose a car, and it started a path for me.

In one game you do event after event with cars that you always want to drive.
In one game you do event after event with car types that they want you to drive.

In the end, it's the same shit. Forza 4 will not stay fresh, it will get boring.

Personally I liked GT5's Seasonal and Special events but in the end, it's not all that different from what they already do. I did enjoy them more than A-Spec/B-Spec mode though.

ssolitare said:
In one game you do event after event with cars that you always want to drive.
In one game you do event after event with car types that they want you to drive.

In the end, it's the same shit. Forza 4 will not stay fresh, it will get boring.

Personally I liked GT5's Seasonal and Special events but in the end, it's not all that different from what they already do. I did enjoy them more than A-Spec/B-Spec mode though.

When you break it down to simplistic terms like that sure .... I guess?

In one game u race carz, in other game race carz also ...

In this thread we're discussing the intricacies of both. It's NOT the same shit in the end because menus and the integration of them can make or break a game, the menus is where you spend a lot of your time, so to have them be integral and enjoyable is a HUGE thing.

It's not just the "same shit" as the career modes are quite different.

Hanmik said:
Why did the GT5 [OT] move to the community tab, and not Forza 4 [OT]..?

It usually will stay for a while in the main Gaming section then move after a couple months or so. GT5 started in the Gaming section also.

shinnn said:
again, wheres the comparison with real-life? time laps? that's what you use to compare how the cars handle?

Take the F40 as a example. I never drive one, but it is known as a awesome car to drive, powerfull but awesome handling. A lot of grip.

In GT5 you can't make a turn without the car starting to loose grip.

Sorry, but needs to be quoted again for hilarity. What car experts we have in this thread! :lol

Izayoi

Banned
paskowitz said:
It does 720p, 1080i and 1080p. No idea which is native. 720p looks better. Use that.
So it's probably 720p native then, that's good.

Pain in the ass to capture 1080p native on my setup.

Top Bottom