• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

schennmu said:
I agree about the bullshit brake handling when disabling ABS though, I have noticed that yesterday.
Thank goodness, I'm not crazy. That was driving me nuts yesterday. I think I must have played GT 5 with ABS on when it first came out, cause I just don't remember that madness.

HollovVpo1nt said:
I don't think GT5 looking more realistic than Forza 4 can be generalised. At times, Forza looks more realistic than GT5. At least in my opinion. At this point they both have their own style. I like both. I don't want Forza to look like GT, and I don't want GT to look like Forza.

From my experience if you compare the same conditions, GT will ALWAYS look more realistic due to lighting, models, car bounce and shaders.

Maybe TT will be able to nail the realistic look next gen.

Bloodworth said:
Thank goodness, I'm not crazy. That was driving me nuts yesterday. I think I must have played GT 5 with ABS on when it first came out, cause I just don't remember that madness.

Yes, I just wanted to give disabled ABS a try yesterday, but call it a failed experiment.

Ty4on

Izayoi said:
All of Forza's cars (533) are rendered to the same detail, at 500000+ polys. The only exceptions are the Autovista cars (25), which are all 1000000+ polys.
Please, write 1,000,000, 1.000.000, 1 000 000, 1'000'000 or whatever the hell you prefer (or is common where you live). It's just so hard to see if you wrote 10 million, 1 million or 1 hundred thousand.

-Amon-

Bloodworth said:

What is the problem ? Just blip the throttle on downshifts and you're set, once you changed brake bias

Ashes

Banned
Izayoi said:
All of Forza's cars (533) are rendered to the same detail, at 500,000+ polys. The only exceptions are the Autovista cars (25), which are all 1,000,000+ polys.

Fixed for ty4on above... ;)

Ty4on is right though...

Izayoi

Banned
Ty4on said:
Please, write 1,000,000, 1.000.000, 1 000 000, 1'000'000 or whatever the hell you prefer (or is common where you live). It's just so hard to see if you wrote 10 million, 1 million or 1 hundred thousand.
Sorry about that. The programmer in me rearing its ugly head.

CozMick

Banned
Can I have quotes from T10 that in-game the models are using 500k polys?

I find that really hard to believe tbh because a lot of the models are so far off the mark :\

But I suppose that doesn't really matter if they're used elsewhere.

eso76

nib95 said:
Is that confirmed? Because in F2 and F3, some cars were definitely more accurately modelled and textured than others. Not standard vs premium like differences, not close. But still noticeable imo.

in terms of numbers yeah, all cars have their 400k / 500k poly model.
In terms of accuracy, differences are significant.
Generally speaking, all models included since fm3 are very accurate and kept improving with DLC and FM4.

Now, models in FM1 and FM2 were sometimes inaccurate or just wrong.
Returning fm2 cars received a bump in detail and were 'smoothed' and brought on par with newer models in terms of polycount, but since they were not remade from scratch they retain the same modeling inaccuracies. The F40 being the worst example

Can I have quotes from T10 that in-game the models are using 500k polys?

yes, full lod0 500k poly models are used ingame BUT only in events where your car is the only one on the track.

Then again, GT5 doesn't really use 500k poly models either, outside of menus and phototravel.

CozMick

Banned
eso76 said:
yes, full lod0 500k poly models are used ingame BUT only in events where your car is the only one on the track.

Well that's disappointing, or perhaps encouraging depending on which side of the fence you sit :D

That's pretty much "well, the cars are 1 million polys if you're sitting in the main menu" :p

Angst

eso76 said:
Then again, GT5 doesn't really use 500k poly models either, outside of menus and phototravel.
Fact or guesstimate? I tried searching for an answer to how many polys cars used in GT5 but didn't find any good sources. Many links to posts in this thread though... lol

eso76 said:

GT5 doesn't use Photo Travel models ingame yes, but we don't know if those aren't 500k or not, the ingame models are the same as replay models and Race Photos and they are insanely detailed, just stop your car in the middle of the road, have someone else T bone you and look to the side. The detail is all there.

Little stuff like increased detail on engines is what you only see in Photo Travel.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
GT5 doesn't Photo Travel models ingame yes, but we don't know if those are 500k or not, the ingame models the same as replay models and are insanely detailed, just stop your car in the middle of the road, have someone else T bone you and look to the side. The detail is all there.

Little stuff like increased detail on engines is what you only see in Photo Travel.
Textures on the Xanavi are more high-res in Photo Travel as well for example. They definitely have two models, one for PT and one for races. I'm just curious what in-game models they use.

eso76

Angst said:
Fact or guesstimate? I tried searching for an answer to how many polys cars used in GT5 but didn't find any good sources. Many links to posts in this thread though... lol

how many..one can only guess, but when you compare ingame models with their phototravel counterparts you can tell it often is a good deal lower poly.

GT5 doesn't use Photo Travel models ingame yes, but we don't know if those aren't 500k or not, the ingame models are the same as replay models and Race Photos and they are insanely detailed, just stop your car in the middle of the road, have someone else T bone you and look to the side. The detail is all there.

when PD claims up to 500k poly models i am sure they mean their best lod.
yes, cars are still insanely detailed ingame (same as replay, same as photomode on tracks) but you can tell curves are a lot less smooth and sometimes details are missing. on top of my head, for example, the 'citroen c4' writing in the back of that car is fully modeled with extruded letters in photo travel and just bump mapped ingame.

I took some comparison pics earlier in this thread showing ingame models in GT are noticeably less 'smooth' than fm3 lod0 models. In that particular case i used the Mistubishi, which is roughly 350k polys in fm3

Metalmurphy said:

Absolutely true

fq7.jpg

wd29.jpg

2z8vyap.jpg

2gt5c2g.jpg

gtb.jpg

The people seeing Forza 4 better than GT5 is the same people that saw Forza 3 better than Prologue.

Meisadragon said:
The sound in Forza is just so damn exaggerated.

Fixed.

Every car, including a damn Honda Fit sounds like a V8 with a freaking Mustang Exhaust in your face.

It's like Shift 1 / 2, every car has ridiculous transmission whine, squealing brakes, and ridiculous exhaust and engine sounds, even the most basic of cars.

But apparently that's apparently good sound. Screw realism.

panty

phosphor112 said:
Fixed.

Every car, including a damn Honda Fit sounds like a V8 with a freaking Mustang Exhaust in your face.

It's like Shift 1 / 2, every car has ridiculous transmission whine, squealing brakes, and ridiculous exhaust and engine sounds, even the most basic of cars.

I agree with this guy.

kazinova

phosphor112 said:
Fixed.

Get in the econo $!&#box you drive in real life and drive around at 5k rpms, tell me how quiet it is. Sound loud? Must not be realistic...

Bloodworth said:
...what's going on?

kazinova said:
Get in the econo $!&#box you drive in real life and drive around at 5k rpms, tell me how quiet it is. Sound loud? Must not be realistic...

What?... no? A vast majority of production cars AREN'T loud at high revs. You know why? They have sound insulation in cars.

phosphor112 said:
Fixed.

Ah.. I see that you've driven the real life cars at the RPM's and speeds that you do in the game?

kazinova

phosphor112 said:
What?... no? A vast majority of production cars AREN'T loud at high revs. You know why? They have sound insulation in cars.
Clearly you have driven more cars IRL than I have (Edit: basically beaten to the obvious troll response). My car is spot on in F4. Spot on.

panty

Wax Free Vanilla said:
:bow

still the best looking console racer known to man.

polyphony fucked up the in game premium enzo model:

sangimignano-townsquar95pu.jpg

did they update it in spec 2?
The first one is from GT PSP no?

LiK

brotkasten said:
I don't know. If there only was a way to display the posts of other people in this thread, so we could read them ...

well, there's a way to put people on ignore, thankfully.

I can see on those bmw pics above that the grill and rear of the ferrari actually have real time self shadowing, this is something forza highly lacks and only uses for the wheel arch and wing mirrors (and even then it's not always there for some reason)

Forza games always have over bright chicken wire and grill mesh on their cars.

eso76

Diablohead said:
I can see on those bmw pics above that the grill and rear of the ferrari actually have real time self shadowing, this is something forza highly lacks

Forza games always have over bright chicken wire and grill mesh on their cars.

this and this.

gt5 has lower res shadows, but forza lacks self shadowing on lots of things and ALL ai cars and damn those grills really always look off.

btw, found the comparison pics i was talking about earlier.

gt5 and forza 3

ingame GT5 versus lod0 Fm3 model (this car in particular is around 180k + around 80k polys for cockpit in fm3 so not one of the most detailed)

1mDyt.jpg

i think gt5's looks slightly less smooth here and there.

ingame gt5 model versus ingame LOD1 fm3 model (45k / 50k polys)

uGxnJ.jpg

is it me or did rims actually get worse since fm3 ?

eso76 said:
this and this.

gt5 has lower res shadows, but forza lacks self shadowing on lots of things and ALL ai cars and damn those grills really always look off.

btw, found the comparison pics i was talking about earlier.

gt5 and forza 3

ingame GT5 versus lod0 Fm3 model (this car in particular is around 180k + around 80k polys for cockpit in fm3 so not one of the most detailed)

[]http://i.imgur.com/1mDyt.jpg[/IMG]

i think gt5's looks slightly less smooth here and there.

ingame gt5 model versus ingame LOD1 fm3 model (45k / 50k polys)

[]http://i.imgur.com/uGxnJ.jpg[/IMG]

First set of pics are pointless because Forza switches models, but are the last set from AI cars?

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah, the problem with ABS in GT5 is that the default brake bias is wrong

Oooh I get it...

Yeah... I hate having to change it for EVERY CAR I USE.

They need to fix that...

HollovVpo1nt said:
Ah.. I see that you've driven the real life cars at the RPM's and speeds that you do in the game?

kazinova said:
Clearly you have driven more cars IRL than I have (Edit: basically beaten to the obvious troll response). My car is spot on in F4. Spot on.

There are 57 racing tracks in my state alone (of course several are at the same facility). There are track days at at least 1 track for every day of the week.

I've raced at:
  • The famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course located in the racing capital of the world.
  • Former IRP (which is now Lucas Oil Raceway Park): Both the drag strip and road course
  • 'Kitley' Speedrome: Both the Asphalt Oval and Dirt/Asphalt Figure 8 in a Stock Car (not the same "stock" as NASCAR.. it's basically a tricked out hotrod)
  • My personal favorite: Putnam Park
  • Oh and Fast Times Kart Racing is pretty awesome as well. Nothing major though, just some 75cc engines.

Oh, and I used to work for Andy Mohr often required transporting cars from one shop to the next. Of course, I never took any of those cars on a track, but from time to time, it put the pedal down.

TL;DR: Yes, I know about cars more than you.
Get on my level.

Angst

The guy taking those pics need to do them again at the same lighting conditions, it's really hard to compare when one pic is in full sunlight and the other is in overcast.

Just took these.

Messed up the angle a bit in the second one but can anyone tell me where's that "good deal lower poly."?

I think there's a bigger discrepancy between the textures then there is between the model it self.

People tried to convince themselves of the same thing regarding FM3 and GT5, but it just can't be done. GT5's car modeling and photo realism is unmatched ever since 2007, and FM4 hasn't made any significant strides.

eso76

Metalmurphy said:
First set of pics are pointless because Forza switches models, but are the last set from AI cars?

yes, just going to prove that gt5 ingame models are not as smooth/detailed as phototravel models or fm3 menu models. That particular model in fm3 is around 260k polys so you can have a very rough idea about GT5.

Yes, the second set of pics is AI cars.

It's worth mentioning that when you focus on AI cars in fm3 they get the self shadowing they otherwise lack.

Messed up the angle a bit in the second one but can anyone tell me where's that "good deal lower poly."?

with some cars it's very noticeable, while some of the models are almost exactly the same.
I think PD had a 'cap' of, say, 250.000 polys ingame, so that cars requiring less geometry (like that sharp edged Nissan) stay basically the same across all game modes, while cars with more curved surfaces show more differences.

H_Prestige said:
People tried to convince themselves of the same thing regarding FM3 and GT5, but it just can't be done. GT5's car modeling and photo realism is unmatched ever since 2007, and FM4 hasn't made any significant strides.

I beg to differ. It's not at GT5 level but comparing it with what it was and now it made a huge strides.

Metalmurphy said:
I beg to differ. It's not at GT5 level but comparing it with what it was and now it made a huge strides.
The IBL really has helped, but without the proper shaders, and some areas completely lacking proper amounts of polygons, some spots just really stick out like a sore thumb. As you said though, they are making strides.

eso76 said:
yes, just going to prove that gt5 ingame models are not as smooth/detailed as phototravel models or fm3 menu models. That particular model in fm3 is around 260k polys so you can have a very rough idea about GT5.

Yes, the second set of pics is AI cars.

It's worth mentioning that when you focus on AI cars in fm3 they get the self shadowing they otherwise lack.

GT5 ingame models are the same as replay models. Some Phototravel models are slighty differents, but we are talking about photo models or replay models

First premium cars in GT5 have about 200k polys

Was wondering if any Forza 4 owners can tell me if the lighting in the game is more refined than the bloom effect they have been using since Forza 1.

Like this in Forza 4 (from ign screen grab, couldn't find a better source for a direct pic):
hXjux.jpg

I played the demo & the bloom-ish effect was definitely noticeable. Looks kinda cheap.

GT5 has the light/lens flare effect much more refined (I think they been using it since GT3:
DVln7.png

The effect looks great on headlights & lamp posts/street lights.

Is there anything like that in Forza 4? I couldn't get a sense from the demo & watching the videos.

Top Bottom