• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Xun said:
Why is there a standard F2007 and Enzo? Were they in GT Portable?

Seems a bit silly to me.
They imported all the GT4 and PSP cars, whether there's a premium version or not. But it's the first time I've heard about a standard F2007 in GT5.

eso76

phosphor112 said:
The IBL really has helped, but without the proper shaders, and some areas completely lacking proper amounts of polygons, some spots just really stick out like a sore thumb. As you said though, they are making strides.

All this talk about IBL...but i've only seen proper IBL in homespace locations tbh.

I would go as far as saying that fm4 doesn't really use IBL outside of homespace.

Yoritomo

phosphor112 said:
Fixed.

Every car, including a damn Honda Fit sounds like a V8 with a freaking Mustang Exhaust in your face.

It's like Shift 1 / 2, every car has ridiculous transmission whine, squealing brakes, and ridiculous exhaust and engine sounds, even the most basic of cars.

But apparently that's apparently good sound. Screw realism.

No. When you're gifted the Honda Fit in game it has been auto upgraded to the top of the class it's meant to race in, which just so happens to include an exhaust upgrade.

Go and swap out the intake and exhaust upgrades back to stock and the car sounds wonderfully muted.

In fact every car you're gifted in game has been auto upgraded in the same manner. They sound different if you remove the aftermarket exhaust/intake/cams/port work etc. that have been automatically added to make the car competitive against AI cars that have had the same thing done to them.

eso76 said:
All this talk about IBL...but i've only seen proper IBL in homespace locations tbh.

I would go as far as saying that fm4 doesn't really use IBL outside of homespace.

It doesn't. That's why the homespaces are just single spots that don't let you move the car around. They are limited to a single focal point, surrounded by a HDR image. So the Stelvio Pass, or the Top Gear backdrop.. whatever homespace you are in... they are real photos. So the renders end up looking real (for the most part) but it's limited just to those photos.

Yoritomo said:
No. When you're gifted the Honda Fit in game it has been auto upgraded to the top of the class it's meant to race in, which just so happens to include an exhaust upgrade.

Go and swap out the intake and exhaust upgrades back to stock and the car sounds wonderfully muted.

In fact every car you're gifted in game has been auto upgraded in the same manner. They sound different if you remove the aftermarket exhaust/intake/cams/port work etc. that have been automatically added to make the car competitive against AI cars that have had the same thing done to them.

I honestly didn't play the game enough to win the car.

Yoritomo

phosphor112 said:
It doesn't. That's why the homespaces are just single spots that don't let you move the car around. They are limited to a single focal point, surrounded by a HDR image. So the Stelvio Pass, or the Top Gear backdrop.. whatever homespace you are in... they are real photos. So the renders end up looking real (for the most part) but it's limited just to those photos.

I honestly didn't play the game enough to win the car.

Then why are you commenting on a game you haven't played?

kazinova said:
What do you run when you go to track days? I'm assuming you don't own the "stock" car.

Yeah, I don't own the stock car. But I've taken mainly old domestic cars onto tracks. '69 Chevelle, '93 Blazer, '79 Trans AM (RIP). I've ridden along in an AMC Javelin and an '89 Jaguar XJS. I've even taken a few "econo shitboxes" (minus the fart box... I'm not that lame) around some tracks. The stock car has only gone around the Speedrome by the way.

Yoritomo said:
Then why are you commenting on a game you haven't played?
I've played FM3... Just because I don't own it doesn't mean I haven't played hours and hours of it.

Snubbers

In one of Dan G's presentations, he takes his in-game M3 around the alps, and moves the camera around the car to explain a few improvements about lighting and the use of IBL and it's subtle differences..

I think in-game is very much dumbed down, but there is a definite improvement through various techniques on the in-game graphics.

All this talk/conjecture and yet again, it's apparantly all down to spot analysis of graphics..

We know they both spend their resources differently when it comes to graphics PD do have the best looking cars IMO, but as a whole, you can see where both make compromises, if all people want to do is compare these, then fine, it really isn't saying much about either as an actual GAME!!!!

Xanadu said:
i think forza 4 looks a hell of a lot better than 3 but its not GT5 level yet

I find the screen tearing (eurgh, I hate it, especially in racing games as it's so distracting), framerate drops, ugly low-res self-shadowing and poor texture filtering (leading to shimmering) to be slightly offputting in Gran Turismo 5 plus about 80% of the cars are weakly textured and use a lower polygon count then the premium models. Factor in the lack of a proper dashboard (cockpit) view and Forza 3 and now 4 are much more graphically consistent and pleasing to me overall. Where GT scores points over Forza, is it's clever use of camera angles during the replays which make the game look a lot more impressive than it really is.

I think Polyphony Digital made the wrong decision aiming for 1080p this generation as the PS3 clearly struggles with it. It's a great technical achievement, I'll admit, but the game has plenty of rough edges that mar the overall look because of it.

It's only the photo modes in both Gran Turismo and Forza that the games make my jaw-drop as they obviously deliver a superior image quality that neither games can deliver in real-time.

KKRT00

Doctor Hades said:
I find the screen tearing (eurgh, I hate it, especially in racing games as it's so distracting), framerate drops, ugly low-res self-shadowing and poor texture filtering (leading to shimmering) to be slightly offputting in Gran Turismo 5 plus about 80% of the cars are weakly textured and use a lower polygon count then the premium models. Factor in the lack of a proper dashboard (cockpit) view and Forza 3 and now 4 are much more graphically consistent and pleasing to me overall. Where GT scores points over Forza, is it's clever use of camera angles during the replays which make the game look a lot more impressive than it really is.

I think Polyphony Digital made the wrong decision aiming for 1080p this generation as the PS3 clearly struggles with it. It's a great technical achievement, I'll admit, but the game has plenty of rough edges that mar the overall look because of it.

It's only the photo modes in both Gran Turismo and Forza that the games make my jaw-drop as they obviously deliver a superior image quality that neither games can deliver in real-time.
So, do You really notice framerate drops to 50 from 60 or just trolling?
Poor texture filtering, are You kiding me? Shimmering? Shimmering is from TAA, not enough AA for racing game [still 4xMSAA in 720p] and shader aliasing [its not solvable except of post-process AA at the moment].
Most standards has quite good textures and most of textures are covered by shaders and from gameplay distance You cant even see them properly. Cockpit view is a think of rendering cars for GT 4, they havent remodeled them for GT 5, it would be wasting resources.

Camera angles? Really, You are obviously trolling.

KKRT00 said:
Poor texture filtering, are You kiding me? Shimmering? Shimmering is from TAA, not enough AA for racing game [still 4xMSAA in 720p] and shader aliasing [its not solvable except of post-process AA at the moment].
Most standards has quite good textures and most of textures are covered by shaders and from gameplay distance You cant even see them properly. Cockpit view is a think of rendering cars for GT 4, they havent remodeled them for GT 5, it would be wasting resources.

Of course he's trolling, he doesn't have your opinion on a game.

offshore

KKRT00 said:
You seem to keep implying that the frame rate drops are barely noticeable: they are clearly noticeable.

SSR5 never runs at 60fps, nor does Daytona with a full field in cockpit view. The bottom line is that the frame rate is awful, and for a developer that has consistently said that 60fps is one of the most important things, GT5's performance was unacceptable.

I can't speak for Spec II as I haven't played it yet.

Yoritomo

phosphor112 said:
Yeah, I don't own the stock car. But I've taken mainly old domestic cars onto tracks. '69 Chevelle, '93 Blazer, '79 Trans AM (RIP). I've ridden along in an AMC Javelin and an '89 Jaguar XJS. I've even taken a few "econo shitboxes" (minus the fart box... I'm not that lame) around some tracks. The stock car has only gone around the Speedrome by the way.

I've played FM3... Just because I don't own it doesn't mean I haven't played hours and hours of it.

Wait, aren't we talking about FM4?

offshore said:
You seem to keep implying that the frame rate drops are barely noticeable: they are clearly noticeable.

SSR5 never runs at 60fps, nor does Daytona with a full field in cockpit view. The bottom line is that the frame rate is awful, and for a developer that has consistently said that 60fps is one of the most important things, GT5's performance was unacceptable.

I know it's not part of your discussion, but I let my B-Spec Bob drive SSR5 today and it's oh so fucking beautiful. I love this track and I love night racing. Whoever says it adds nothing, is simply wrong.

Wazzim

Banned
offshore said:

Spec II runs much better than the original 1.0 game, I have the feeling that they cut down on the reflections and other things though but that may just be me.
I agree that no v-synced 60 FPS was just bad for a racing sim on the PS3.

offshore

brotkasten said:
I know it's not part of your discussion, but I let my B-Spec Bob drive SSR5 today and it's oh so fucking beautiful. I love this track and I love night racing. Whoever says it adds nothing, is simply wrong.
I don't disagree at all, I think SSR7 looks and is a wonderful, one of the best.

Frame rate performance on it is terrible though.

tusken77

Metalmurphy said:
ALBTyl.jpg

Sweetness. I haven't played with Photo Travel since the 2.0 update. Can you stand your dude anywhere?

Yoritomo said:
Wait, aren't we talking about FM4?
I haven't played FM4 yet other than the demo, which doesn't give me a proper judgement call on it, but from what I know FM3 has completely exaggerated sounds. I'm sure FM4 is no different though.

tusken77

Solal said:

Sorry to feed the troll, but...

Still at it eh, Solal? lol You took the GT5 sales figures, thinking they were from now, but were actually from a month after the game was released. Now you're linking to a video that was "Added 27/11/10" Everything since then has improved, including framerate.

Answer honestly. Have you even played GT5?

Wazzim

Banned
phosphor112 said:
I haven't played FM4 yet other than the demo, which doesn't give me a proper judgement call on it, but from what I know FM3 has completely exaggerated sounds. I'm sure FM4 is no different though.
Exaggerated is still better than the whining sound we got in GT (5 has much better sound than 4 though). It isn't like hardcore PC sims like RFactor use weak engine sounds for in mods either.

Metalmurphy said:
Worst track as far as framerate goes, + rain with lots of effects... You sure know how to pick them.

http://www.youtube.com/v/nGXONhFOrkg&hl=en&autoplay=1&hd=1
All those videos are useless with the new updates, the only thing we can say for sure is that GT5 still has noticable tearing.

KKRT00 said:

If it eases your paranoid mind then, yes, I'm obviously trolling! /rolls eyes

Seriously, I stated my opinion (God forbid that it should differ from yours!) and I stand by it as I play both games but much prefer Forza for its consistent visuals and more enthralling gameplay. I'm deeply sorry if that offends you.

Solal

Metalmurphy-> Did you even look at the video?
Not all tracks tear... but almost all the city ones do.

Tusken-> I am level 27 in A spec and 37 in B spec. And I can still see tearing after Spec 2.0 (though it seems better). As we ll probably see with future fr analysis.

Solal said:
Metalmurphy-> Did you even look at the video?
Not all tracks tear... but almost all the city ones do.

Did you?

SSR7, several cars close up, which means full LOD, rain, alpha effects, which we all know PS3 struggles with, night track with lots of dynamic lighting, etc.

Did you look at the other video? 60 fps most of the time.

Certainly "Framerate sucks. Never at 60fps. Period." huh?

Solal said:
Tusken-> I am level 27 in A spec and 37 in B spec. And I can still see tearing after Spec 2.0 (though it seems better). As we ll probably see with future fr analysis.

Add the PSN ID GT5NRL and join our online races for some sweet 16 players 60fps races.

Wazzim

Banned
Solal said:
Tusken-> I am level 27 in A spec and 37 in B spec. And I can still see tearing.
A friend of mine said you have to reach level 40 A Spec to get a V-sync option and get rid of the tearing.

Ok, after spending some good time with forza 4. I have to say forza 4 gets the edge graphically being that it just looks way better while actually playing than GT5. There are times where GT5 looks great while playing, then there are sometimes when GT5 just looks like straight SHITE while playing, and im like wtf....then i watch the replay and am like....oh, that doesnt look bad, it looks good, but when I play on that track its ugly as hell.

I am also having more fun with forza4 but that might be due to the fact that it just came out and I had GT5 for awhile.

With that said, I still love GT5 for other reasons, like the rally racing, night racing, weather changing, weather effects...etc.....weather changing in itself is beyond awesome.

Basically, If I had to choose, I'd choose both, but for different reasons.

tusken77

Solal said:
Tusken-> I am level 27 in A spec and 37 in B spec. And I can still see tearing.

Can we get a screenshot of that? I'm kinda skeptical that you've even played the game. Also, you can still see tearing. So? No one is saying that the tearing has been completely eliminated.

Solal said:
Never?

Wazzim said:
Exaggerated is still better than the whining sound we got in GT (5 has much better sound than 4 though). It isn't like hardcore PC sims like RFactor use weak engine sounds for in mods either.
Not saying that GT5 doesn't have trash sounds, but 95% of the cars with bad sounds are of standard cars... all premiums have been recorded properly. Also, games like GTR and rFactor often have great sounds because most if not all of those cars are modded for racing. Race cars lack the extra seats, fabric, and in general, dead weight that often muffle a cars engine and exhaust. You get a "raw" sound that way. The stock car I'd take around the Speedrome was almost pure engine, exhaust and suspension sounds. Quite deafening as well.

Wazzim said:
A friend of mine said you have to reach level 40 A Spec to get a V-sync option and get rid of the tearing.

Lol, that's clearly rubbish. You don't get shit for reaching lvl 40, and besides we all know that GT5 tears and the framerate drops. The thing is that it has been continuously improved with every update so far.

Wazzim

Banned
phosphor112 said:
Not saying that GT5 doesn't have trash sounds, but 95% of the cars with bad sounds are of standard cars... all premiums have been recorded properly. Also, games like GTR and rFactor often have great sounds because most if not all of those cars are modded for racing. Race cars lack the extra seats, fabric, and in general, dead weight that often muffle a cars engine and exhaust. You get a "raw" sound that way. The stock car I'd take around the Speedrome was almost pure engine, exhaust and suspension sounds. Quite deafening as well.
That's true.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Lol, that's clearly rubbish. You don't get shit for reaching lvl 40, and besides we all know that GT5 tears and the framerate drops. The thing is that it has been continuously improved with every update so far.
lol I was joking :p

Solal

Metalmurphy-> Keep pretending you did not get my point.

Tusken77-> LOL Are you for real ? Like I can't play GT5 and still criticize its obvious flaws.

eso76

Snubbers said:
I think in-game is very much dumbed down, but there is a definite improvement through various techniques on the in-game graphics.

i've seen that interview, but regardless of what Dan said...i am still not convinced what we see ingame is IBL. I think it still looks great tbh, just not as accurate as ibl would.

alterno69

Banned
I don't like the overly shinny tracks in Forza and the massive amounts of bloom. The contrast is also kinda screwed up cause at times the track looks pitch black almost.

This is from playing the demo but i've noticed it in past games too, the lighting just seems off. Not realistic at all and makes the graphics look too cartoony IMO.

Graphically for me GT is king.

Solal

Metalmutphy-> I'll add you..no worries... But you ll probably see me only at the start... I m a poor driver.

PSNID: cassius_clay

tusken77

Solal said:
Metalmurphy-> Keep pretending you did not get my point.

Tusken77-> LOL Are you for real ? Like I can't play GT5 and still criticize its obvious flaws.

Screen shot please. You're acting very trollish. Quoting sales figures from almost a year ago, using worst case track scenarios, linking to video analysis from almost a year ago.

eso76 said:
i've seen that interview, but regardless of what Dan said...i am still not convinced what we see ingame is IBL. I think it still looks great tbh, just not as accurate as ibl would.
Unless there has been a huge improvement on what I've been using for years, IBL is still strictly based on images, not 3D environtments. I suppose it is possible with a 3D environment, but that would require a rasterized image of the 3D environment... possible a cube map, but also rendered with HDR. That would significantly increase rendering times. Might be possible on a 30fps game, but 60? I highly doubt that.

Hanmik

Solal... why do you hate so much on GT5..? again, according to your trophies and progress.. GT5 is your most played game on your PS3.. how can you hate a game that you have played so much..?

alterno69 said:
I don't like the overly shinny tracks in Forza and the massive amounts of bloom. The contrast is also kinda screwed up cause at times the track looks pitch black almost.

This is from playing the demo but i've noticed it in past games too, the lighting just seems off. Not realistic at all and makes the graphics look too cartoony IMO.

The only problem is consistency with GT5, when at it's height no game can touch it but when at it's low's it's really ugly. The more natural colors is what makes GT5 look realistic, i don't think Turn 10 wanted to go to that direction.

tusken77 said:
Sweetness. I haven't played with Photo Travel since the 2.0 update. Can you stand your dude anywhere?
Yes. When you move your car around, hit start, and it'll select the avatar to move around... All you can do is move him and rotate him. The poses are all done automatically.

alterno69 said:

cant really judge this game off the demo....demo didn't look as good as the actual game to me. And no way the game looks cartoony, and while playing the game, Forza4 DOES look better than GT5.

with that said, if you have both systems, and you like racing games, and you don't own both games? well...then you're an idiot, or poor.

either way, its a crime not to have both, cause they are both great in their own ways.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
The only problem is consistency with GT5, when at it's height no game can touch it but when at it's low's it's really ugly. The more natural colors is what makes GT5 look realistic, i don't think Turn 10 wanted to go to that direction.

THIS.

tusken77

phosphor112 said:
Yes. When you move your car around, hit start, and it'll select the avatar to move around... All you can do is move him and rotate him. The poses are all done automatically.

Ah, brilliant. I was about to ask if you can also adjust his pose too, but you answered that as well. Thanks phosphor.

nib95

Banned
It's funny to me that the track used to showcase GT5's biggest frame rate drop (which is otherwise generally 50fps+ 95% of the time, and that was before the recent updates) is a track during night time and with full rain effects. Both things Forza doesn't even have lol.

Is it worth the cost of the frame rate drop? Definitely to me. Especially since the drops are usually only when you're driving at a crawl in a cluster of cars tightly packed together where you can't even move out anyway, so it's not like the extra frames even make a difference with respect to precision or driving options etc.

GT5's night/rain combo races provide a unique and unrivalled experience that adds a whole new dimension to sim racing.

Solal said:

Further evidence of trolling. It's like you only watched the first portion of the video. The frame rate is 60fps on common occasion.

Sethos

Banned
nib95 said:
It's funny to me that the track used to showcase GT5's biggest frame rate drop (which is otherwise generally 50fps+ 95% of the time, and that was before the recent updates) is a track during night time and with full rain effects. Both things Forza doesn't even have lol.

Is it worth the cost of the frame rate drop? Definitely to me. Especially since the drops are usually only when you're driving at a crawl in a cluster of cars tightly packed together where you can't even move out anyway, so it's not like the extra frames even make a difference with respect to precision or driving options etc.

GT5's night/rain combo races provide a unique and unrivalled experience that adds a whole new dimension to sim racing.

... Did you even watch the full thing?

Top Bottom