• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Xanadu

Banned
Polyphony said:
GT5 might tear and drop frames every now and then, but I do find that the IQ is amazing. Playing in 1280x1080 with 2x AA and TAA disabled, you have to look hard to find the jaggies. Constant 60 fps with 0% tearing in GT6 plz!
how do you disable taa

ShapeGSX

planar1280 said:
Played both

GT5 wins in lighting
GT5 wins in quality of premium cars
GT5 wins in car mechanics options

Forza wins in IQ/Performance ratio
Forza wins in overall quality of all cars
Forza wins in Menu/Layout
Forza wins in car handling and ease of tuneup

You forgot Rivals Mode. So addictive!

JWong

Banned
offshore said:
Oh I'm sorry wolf, I didn't realise windscreen wipers were supposed to constantly tear when you drive in the rain in real life. I don't know what you bring up dirt for, rallying in GT is terrible, always has been. This is not something new. As for night, did you not read the post?
The point is that Forza runs better because they didn't want to add anything that would drop the framerate.

Delivery? Or lack of?

JWong said:
The point is that Forza runs better because they didn't want to add anything that would drop the framerate.

Delivery? Or lack of?

Yes. One company focused on feature list checkboxes at the expense of performance and while the other focused on performance at the expense of features. As always, no such thing as a free lunch.

Truth is, if roles were reversed, you'd just see the arguments swap and nothing would change.

Ravage

kazinova said:
Jokes on GT fanboys: they're stuck playing GT5. Forza 4 has got my girlfriend playing a simulation racer and enjoying it. Another win.

huh? My gf plays almost as much GT5 as i do, so what exactly is your point again?

offshore said:
Of the effects, only night racing looks incredible (and it really does).

PD could have taken out night racing from GT5, releasing it as a stand alone game and i would still buy it without any hesistation. This is a feature Turn10 should have delivered and i have no idea why they couldn't (isn't this their 3rd game this gen?)

flyinpiranha said:
God am I glad they didn't add shit that would be detrimental to the overall visual quality of the game.

You're right, kudos to T10 for making that choice not to put fluff in where it's only usable in very limited quantities and for the most part hurts the overall IQ of the game when it is added.

lol talk about sour grapes. Unfortunately for your argument, weather does affect gameplay and they happen to be dynamic in GT5. This is the first time i see fans thanking developers for NOT adding content. Mindblowing stuff.

JWong said:

Delivery? Or lack of?

God am I glad they didn't add shit that would be detrimental to the overall visual quality of the game.

You're right, kudos to T10 for making that choice not to put fluff in where it's only usable in very limited quantities and for the most part hurts the overall IQ of the game when it is added.

planar1280 said:
Played both

GT5 wins in lighting

Spec 2.0 actually put GT5 back as king of car handling, Forza was king for a few hours though.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Spec 2.0 actually put GT5 back as king of car handling, Forza was king for a few hours though.

Where are we getting the crown? From GT5 fans who only play GT5 or is there a thread I'm missing from reviewers like ISR?

Yoritomo

My biggest problems with GT5 were the tearing, horrible clutch and manual shifting, brake bias issue, and most everything that made it a "game" but the license tests and challenges.

For now my problem with FM4 is the steering ratio issue with 900 degree wheels and track selection.

I'd be happy to halve the number of vehicles if they would double the number of real world tracks in either game... I wish Shift 2 were better, or at least that Slightly Mad Studios could make the game they wanted instead of the game EA wanted cause the track selection in that game is AWESOME.

From playing both Forza 4 and GT5 Spec 2 over the past few days:

* Forza is completely solid as far as visuals go, but GT5 still holds the crown for lighting, car detail, and fewer jaggies, but this comes at the expense of quite a bit of tearing.

* Forza 4's simulation driving settings are an improvement over Forza 3, but GT5 still has the best driving feel (imho of course), audio and rumble feedback (talking strictly about using a controller here), and a much greater sense of speed.

* Forza 4's AI is at times idiotic and at other times homicidal. I've had few races so far where I haven't been sideswiped, pushed right off the track, or watched as the other cars on the grid collided with each other like brain-dead pool balls. Its workable, but its not good.

All things considered though, I'll probably end up spending the lion share of my time with Forza 4, because of the audio (omfg so good), career mode, community features (including rivals mode), and some decent Top Gear integration. I know GT5 has the test track but there is no way in hell I'm grinding through those bullshit challenges to unlock it. I don't have the time or patience for that stuff.

GT5 has the best driving on the consoles, even now, but yeah, Forza 4 is the better game.

KKRT00

planar1280 said:
Played both

GT5 wins in lighting

Wow.

--
BTW what about track selection, car selection, different types of racing?

Ps. I'm so amazed how many people notice 60 to 50 fps drops and then plays other games like Halo, Castlevania, COD or Killzone without an issue.

nib95

Banned
flyinpiranha said:

I seriously don't understand these comments. You'd prefer them to take out game changing feature rich diverse options because of a fear it'd drop a few frames? Doesn't make sense to me. You get more realistic visuals, driving physics, lighting, weather, night racing etc at the expense of a few dropped frames and some tearing. Less so since the updates. Frame rate isn't really even an issue it's more the tearing. You don't even have to race them if you don't want to, but surely it's better to have the option there than not?

I mean, in a world where most racers are 30fps, dropping a few frames below 60fps in exchange for all these amazing features and visual effects seems a paltry loss. They certainly add a tonne more value than they detract. I mean, weather and dynamic time of day are two of the best things about GT5 to me. Nurbergring with rain to sun, night to day, all in a single lap is still to this day the best thing I've ever experienced in a racing game. All in GT5's immaculate rendition of the track.

It'd be funny if after the frame rate analysis's it turns out F4 now also drops a few frames in order to manage it's visual upgrade.

NullPointer said:
From playing both Forza 4 and GT5 Spec 2 over the past few days:

* Forza is completely solid as far as visuals go, but GT5 still holds the crown for lighting, car detail, and fewer jaggies, but this comes at the expense of quite a bit of tearing.

* Forza 4's simulation driving settings are an improvement over Forza 3, but GT5 still has the best driving feel (imho of course), audio and rumble feedback (talking strictly about using a controller here), and a much greater sense of speed.

* Forza 4's AI is at times idiotic and at other times homicidal. I've had few races so far where I haven't been sideswiped, pushed right off the track, or watched as the other cars on the grid collided with each other like brain-dead pool balls. Its workable, but its not good.

All things considered though, I'll probably end up spending the lion share of my time with Forza 4, because of the audio (omfg so good), career mode, community features (including rivals mode), and some decent Top Gear integration. I know GT5 has the test track but there is no way in hell I'm grinding through those bullshit challenges to unlock it. I don't have the time or patience for that stuff.

GT5 has the best driving on the consoles, even now, but yeah, Forza 4 is the better game.

This sounds about right. I haven't played anything beyond the demo for F4. But I got bored very quickly with F3 and put off by the forced steering assists. F2 was for me the better game. Here's hoping F4 improves on that, since for me, GT5 still holds the crown. Realism at an accessible, affordable level being the ultimate goal. But variety and diversity is also important, which is why I'm worried about F4 with the lack of it in areas.

Yoritomo

KKRT00 said:
Wow.

--
BTW what about track selection, car selection, different types of racing?

Ps. I'm so amazed how many people notice 60 to 50 fps drops and then plays other games like Halo, Castlevania, COD or Killzone without an issue.

I don't play those games. I play in PC land where every game is rock solid 60 fps and triple screen where I want it.

flyinpiranha said:
Where are we getting the crown? From GT5 fans who only play GT5 or is there a thread I'm missing from reviewers like ISR?

Doubt they even tried Spec 2 yet but, did they even say anything in that regard?

Yoritomo said:
I don't play those games. I play in PC land where every game is rock solid 60 fps and triple screen where I want it.

Sucks for you, cause neither Forza or GT are on the PC.

evolution

The weather and dynamic time of day in GT5 added much needed variety to the tracks that i've been racing on for years now. So yeah... I'll take it. The driving experience overall has been improved because of it. You can only race the same tracks in the same conditions for so long.

You guys are crazy in this thread .
One min people are saying that Forza is pushing sims forward when GT fans talk about lack of certain things you dismiss it \ say it fluff .
When Forza guys say certain things GT fans say it's because of they had others thing to worry about .
Can't have it both ways.

Both games do certain things well and bad at others from what i see.

Still they have been 3 forza games thing gen and not having option of night racing or just racing on wet track seem like a big WTF to me.

Xanadu

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Doubt they even tried Spec 2 yet but, did they even say anything in that regard?

PC sims such as iracing and rfactor and way head of forza and GT in terms of physics

flyinpiranha said:

They have not reviewed Spec 2.0 and i doubt they will, ISR are better equipped than i am but that does not mean that their statements are always true.

Yoritomo

Metalmurphy said:

Correct, which means I bought a ps3 for GT and 3 Xboxes for forza.

nib95 said:
I seriously don't understand these comments. You'd prefer them to take out game changing feature rich diverse options because of a fear it'd drop a few frames? Doesn't make sense to me. You get more realistic visuals, driving physics, lighting, weather, night racing etc at the expense of a few dropped frames and some tearing. Less so since the updates. Frame rate isn't really even an issue it's more the tearing. You don't even have to race them if you don't want to, but surely it's better to have the option there than not?

I mean, in a world where most racers are 30fps, dropping a few frames below 60fps in exchange for all these amazing features and visual effects seems a paltry loss. They certainly add a tonne more value than they detract. I mean, weather and dynamic time of day are two of the best things about GT5 to me. Nurbergring with rain to sun, night to day, all in a single lap is still to this day the best thing I've ever experienced in a racing game. All in GT5's immaculate rendition of the track.

Yeah, it sounds great when you put in words like "feature rich" and a "few frames dropped" but that isn't the case. If GT5 was really that fucking epic it would have reviewed 100X better and I wouldn't have switched back to Forza from it.

I sold Forza 3, I was done with it. I wanted GT5 to be the end all-be all. It wasn't. I was so devoted to the fact it was going to be the balls deep amazing experience that GT3 offered that I spent hundreds of dollars on peripherals for it.

These aren't "amazing" features when they are completely limited to very few tracks and even less types of races. Night racing? Only on a very small limited amount of tracks. Weather? Only on a very small limited amount of tracks. And if you get any car spinning in front of you or kicking up rain? Holy shit it looks terrible, and that's not hyperbole, it's absolutely terrible for a GT game.

You keep speaking about these "feature rich, content packed" blah blah ... but it's not. It's in so many limited areas of the game I wouldn't care if they were in there. Golding the first 3-4 levels of the career I encountered VERY MINIMAL weather and/or night racing challenges. In fact I honestly can't remember one.

I haven't played the game in about 3 months. I'm not sticking around for PD to fix the game they haphazardly launched a year ago. The only reason Spec II exists is because of Forza 4 and I think Forza 4 is the better overall package. It concentrates on keeping IQ high, has wonderful tracks, great looking cars (all of them) and while there isn't 2 or 3 random courses with night or weather or a terrible rally course I'm happy with what they offer and it's more of a "complete, feature rich, and robust" game because when it comes to racing games; FR and consistency take precedence.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
They have not reviewed Spec 2.0 and i doubt they will, ISR are better equipped than i am but that does not mean that their statements are always true.

No, but they have a lot more experience when it comes to rating things like "physics". I see all these things thrown around but at the end of the day I haven't read it anywhere else but in this vs thread.

flyinpiranha said:
Yeah, it sounds great when you put in words like "feature rich" and a "few frames dropped" but that isn't the case. If GT5 was really that fucking epic it would have reviewed 100X better and I wouldn't have switched back to Forza from it.

I sold Forza 3, I was done with it. I wanted GT5 to be the end all-be all. It wasn't.

These aren't "amazing" features when they are completely limited to very few tracks and even less types of races. Night racing? Only on a very small limited amount of tracks. Weather? Only on a very small limited amount of tracks. And if you get any car spinning in front of you or kicking up rain? Holy shit it looks terrible, and that's not hyperbole, it's absolutely terrible for a GT game.

You keep speaking about these "feature rich, content packed" blah blah ... but it's not. It's in so many limited areas of the game I wouldn't care if they were in there. Golding the first 3-4 levels of the career I encountered VERY MINIMAL weather and/or night racing challenges. In fact I honestly can't remember one.

I haven't played the game in about 3 months. I'm not sticking around for PD to fix the game they haphazardly launched a year ago. The only reason Spec II exists is because of Forza 4 and I think Forza 4 is the better overall package. It concentrates on keeping IQ high, has wonderful tracks, great looking cars (all of them) and while there isn't 2 or 3 random courses with night or weather or a terrible rally course I'm happy with what they offer and it's more of a "complete, feature rich, and robust" game because when it comes to racing games; FR and consistency take precedence.

No, but they have a lot more experience when it comes to rating things like "physics". I see all these things thrown around but at the end of the day I haven't read it anywhere else but in this vs thread.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Metalmurphy said:
Stupid Gif

You honestly believe the guy who has never released DLC, has spoken out against it multiple times would have continued to work on GT5 and not moved on by now? Funny how the launch of Spec II was just around the launch of Forza 4 too eh?

Tell me murphy, have you played Forza 4 and how much of Forza 3 did you play?

\/\/\/ I see your point but I honestly don't believe he would have continued work on GT5 without some pressure from an outside source.

Yoritomo

It seems silly but if you look at all previous announcements of the imminent release of GT5 and now the spec 2 update they've all coincided with forza releases.

Polyphony is playing a long game. I have no doubt Spec 2 would have been released anyway but the features might have been different and the release date might have been very different without Forza 4. They want to retain the loyal customers they have. Every person, even casual racers that hop over to dedicate time to forza might never come back.

flyinpiranha said:
You honestly believe the guy who has never released DLC, has spoken out against it multiple times would have continued to work on GT5 and not moved on by now? Funny how the launch of Spec II was just around the launch of Forza 4 too eh?

Are you forgetting that GT5 Prologue had Spec II (30 cars + improvements) and Spec III (3 cars + improvements)?

Are you forgetting that GT5 had 13 updates, yes 13!, most of which adding requested features?

Are you forgetting that Kaz said from the start and multiple times that GT5 Launch was just the beginning and the community would shape it?

Spec 2 had NOTHING, NOTHING to do with Forza or any other game.

flyinpiranha said:
Very little. How is this relevant to the stupidity you are throwing out?

evolution

eh... Spec II would exist with or without Forza. we knew there would be updates even before the game came out. I'm not sure there's even a comparable feature or idea that was taken from the forza franchise. I just don't see much evidence that PD look at other games for inspiration or whatever. Maybe in GT6...

KKRT00

flyinpiranha said:
It concentrates on keeping IQ high, has wonderful tracks,
Stop with this, because soon You will really believe that.

720p 2xMSAA its not a high IQ, especially for racing game with many thin elements like fences.

Rest of Your post is pure trolling.

flyinpiranha said:

Here is the problem with what you said, Spec II is a free update son, FREE. We have had two massive updates that were akin to Spec II update, now if Kaz was releasing DLC on the same day that Forza 4 was releasing i will agree with you but he didn't. He released a FREE update just like he has been doing the past 10 months, Forza 4 had no influence whatsoever on kaz preparing Spec II.

flyinpiranha said:

You mean the same company that update GT5P so many time..
Truth is i think Kaz would keep on updating GT5 but it's Sony who tell him put out DLC cause they know it's free money .

Xun

Metalmurphy said:
Are you forgetting that GT5 Prologue had Spec II (30 cars + improvements) and Spec III (3 cars + improvements)?

Are you forgetting that GT5 had 13 updates, yes 13!, most of which adding requested features?

Are you forgetting that Kaz said from the start and multiple times that GT5 Launch was just the beginning and the community would shape it?

Spec 2 had NOTHING, NOTHING to do with Forza or any other game.

Very little. How is this relevant to the stupidity you are throwing out?
Indeed.

The only thing that did have something to do with Forza was the release date, but that's pretty obvious.

Yoritomo

evolution said:
eh... Spec II would exist with or without Forza. we knew there would be updates even before the game came out. I'm not sure there's even a comparable feature or idea that was taken from the forza franchise. I just don't see much evidence that PD look at other games for inspiration or whatever. Maybe in GT6...

Tire grip telemetry looks a little familiar.

I wish there was a magic way to only read opinions from people that have a wheel for both games and have played as much of both games as possible. I have a reasonable suspicion that a lot of opinion comes from bitter g27 owners who would end up having to cough up a ridiculous sum to play with a decent wheel in Forza 4.

The Stealth Fox

Features in Spec II have been talked about for months, such as endurance saves, etc. In general, Spec II is the product of fan feedback, not Forza 4. And I'm aware the two aren't mutually exclusive, but a lot of this stuff is there due to demand after GT5's very mediocre launch. Things like spec sheets and better loading have probably been in the works for awhile.

Polyphony

I think rain looks freaking awesome in GT5! I was always impressed by how the rain could vary in intensity and how the drops react and move dynamically on the windshield according to the speed and direction of the car. I never noticed the wiper tear since everything on screen is so hectic anyways. It's a truly frightening experience when it's pouring hard. I play in cockpit to enjoy the immersion, but when I have to pull a quick laptime, I switch back to bumper cam to focus entirely on the driving.

Edit: Oops, we're talking about Spec II now, my bad for being a slow poster lol.

The Stealth Fox said:
Features in Spec II have been talked about for months, such as endurance saves, etc. Spec II is the product of fan feedback, not Forza 4.

Yeah, I probably jumped the gun on that statement. But why does it coincide with the release of Forza 4 pretty much perfectly? I shouldn't have said that it wouldn't exist because I know he's been patching the game to fix things that were buggy at launch.

Whatever though, GT5 pushed me away from GT5, nothing else.

Yoritomo said:
Tire grip telemetry looks a little familiar.

I wish there was a magic way to only read opinions from people that have a wheel for both games and have played as much of both games as possible. I have a reasonable suspicion that a lot of opinion comes from bitter g27 owners who would end up having to cough up a ridiculous sum to play with a decent wheel in Forza 4.

Opinions only matter if they agree with what you think it seems. I already have somebody tell me Forza 4 isn't high quality for images.

Most of the dissenters of Forza haven't even played it. I think it's funny that I was in the GT thread hyping up to release, enjoyed the shit out of the game but now that I see the flaws it's like I'm a fucking enemy.

The Stealth Fox

I'm just glad the game isn't grindy anymore with regards to its career mode progression. It's pretty close to GT4's career mode, which was something I was quite happy with. I'm not a huge fan of single player "stories", just give me events and let me complete them to unlock more events and I'm good. It's the same reason I'm happy with NFS: HP's career mode.

Yoritomo

Anyone here playing GT5 triple screen? I would have done it but by the time they released the update that made it possible I had done basically everything in single player that was worth my time.

evolution

Yoritomo said:
Yeah but the spec 2 update format is similar to forza.

I honestly wish they copies more from forza. Leaderboards for everything would be amazing and I might still turn on GT5.
Prologue had leaderboards, which is why many still wonder why they weren't added to Gt5

Polyphony

I'd be curious to know how many of the people who dislike the core of GT5 only play it for the singleplayer experience. My personal opinion of the singleplayer is that it was a tad monotone, very familiar, sprinkled with moments of brilliance (Grand Tour) and missed opportunities (Top Gear). If I played the game for this only, I'd be disappointed myself. But nowadays, I spend a few hours a week getting paid from the weekly online Seasonal Events, buy new cars with the credits, then tune and race them online. The improved lobbies in Spec II provide a very enjoyable experience, and most of the drivers online that have stayed are experienced.

Razgreez

flyinpiranha said:
I think it's funny that I was in the GT thread hyping up to release, enjoyed the shit out of the game but now that I see the flaws it's like I'm a fucking enemy.

Subconscious bait and switch?

nib95

Banned
flyinpiranha said:

To be fair, it's a pretty common opinion that GT5 has more realistic driving physics over F3/F4. A few of the more hardcore PC sim racing GAF'ers have even expressed as much, as have other sim related sites (Car&Driver being one example). You can even just watch a few video's to see snippets of this shining through, especially with respect to suspension feedback, traction and vehicle to road response etc.

Truth is, neither franchise is close to being as realistic as some of the hardcore PC sim racers. It's just GT is closer to it than Forza.

What GT lacks imo is user friendliness and consistency. Once they get these things nailed, maybe it's critical response will be more rounded. Though it's reception with respect to sales is still a cut above the rest.

Top Bottom