• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Yoritomo

phosphor112 said:
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb224/dbarsne/straws.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

So you're saying fan requests aren't influenced by what other games are doing? You have a fanatec wheel?

How's forza 4 going?

evolution

Yoritomo said:
So you're saying fan requests aren't influenced by what other games are doing? You have a fanatec wheel?

How's forza 4 going?
Thats definitely true, I don't think Forza is one of those games though. At least not yet

Yoritomo

evolution said:
Thats definitely true, I don't think Forza is one of those games though. At least not yet

There's a huge amount of crossover in the fanbase. I don't see why it wouldn't be. The idea that forza isn't even worthy to lick GT5 bootstraps is sort of dumb. It's in the exact same genre after all, a genre that only contains 2 games. Pokemon car sims.

nib95 said:
To be fair, it's a pretty common opinion that GT5 has more realistic driving physics over F3/F4. A few of the more hardcore PC sim racing GAF'ers have even expressed as much, as have other sim related sites (Car&Driver being one example). You can even just watch a few video's to see snippets of this shining through, especially with respect to suspension feedback, traction and vehicle to road response etc.

Truth is, neither franchise is close to being as realistic as some of the hardcore PC sim racers. It's just GT is closer to it than Forza.

What GT lacks imo is user friendliness and consistency. Once they get these things nailed, maybe it's critical response will be more rounded. Though it's reception with respect to sales is still a cut above the rest.

I agree with most of this. I honestly just don't see the disparity between the two with physics. I've read the Car & Driver about 3, it's not that much of a difference and I quote them "Forza might feel slightly less realistic than GT5" ... and that was for 3, it has been improved in 4 and they C&D actually gave the nod to Forza 3 for having better and more realistic tracks. "According to Car and Driver, Forza 3 offers more real-world tracks than GT5, and they are "more realistically rendered" and show more detail. "They note, however, that GT5 offers a Course Maker which adds some value to the game, but the created tracks don't have the polish of the rendered tracks from Forza" but I'm sure that's going to get some blood boiling. Honestly I think some of GT's tracks are gorgeous and look better than some in Forza 3.

And honestly I don't know many "hardcore GAF sim racers" that have put time into both of these games.

offshore

flyinpiranha said:
"According to Car and Driver, Forza 3 offers more real-world tracks than GT5, and they are "more realistically rendered" and show more detail. "They note, however, that GT5 offers a Course Maker which adds some value to the game, but the created tracks don't have the polish of the rendered tracks from Forza" but I'm sure that's going to get some blood boiling.
I don't see how anyone can get shirty about that, course maker tracks are pretty unspectacular. Course maker in general was colossal missed opportunity. I don't know what Kaz was going on about saying a full editor would be to complex to use: I spent so much time using V-Rally 2' s track editor back in the day it was ridiculous, and it wasn't complicated at all.

Fess

Opinions opinions opinions...

Forza 4 - Metacritic score 91
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/forza-motorsport-4/critic-reviews
Destructoid - 100
IGN - 95
GameTrailers - 94
1UP - 91
Gamereactor Sweden - 90
EDGE - 80
Giant Bomb - 80

Gran Turismo 5 - Metacritic score 84
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/gran-turismo-5/critic-reviews
Destructoid - 100
1UP - 91
GameTrailers - 90
IGN - 85
Gamereactor Sweden - 70
EDGE - 70
Giant Bomb - 60

My own take on this...
I've only been playing Gran Turismo up until now but the high review scores for Forza 4 by reviewers that are usually very very hard to please swayed me over this time. Plus, the sound! :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Ravage said:
This is the first time i see fans thanking developers for NOT adding content. Mindblowing stuff.
Then you haven't been reading this thread.

"Livery editor? I don't want the ability to paint my car, it makes the game less classy! Please don't allow me have this ability in my game!"

"Rewind? I don't want an optional feature that makes my game more accessible to casuals! Give me less options!"

Etc etc

Yoritomo

flyinpiranha said:
I agree with most of this. I honestly just don't see the disparity between the two with physics. I've read the Car & Driver about 3, it's not that much of a difference and I quote them "Forza might feel slightly less realistic than GT5" ... and that was for 3, it has been improved in 4 and they C&D actually gave the nod to Forza 3 for having better and more realistic tracks. "According to Car and Driver, Forza 3 offers more real-world tracks than GT5, and they are "more realistically rendered" and show more detail. "They note, however, that GT5 offers a Course Maker which adds some value to the game, but the created tracks don't have the polish of the rendered tracks from Forza" but I'm sure that's going to get some blood boiling. Honestly I think some of GT's tracks are gorgeous and look better than some in Forza 3.

And honestly I don't know many "hardcore GAF sim racers" that have put time into both of these games.

I have. I'd consider myself hardcore. I like both games. Each of them could be improved in many ways. They're fun and offer a huge amount of value for single player. As the father of small children who has to be able to walk away from a game at a moment's notice, this is crucial to me. I love iRacing but sadly don't have a huge amount of time to devote to anything but time trials. It took one time of me yelling at my kid while racing online for me to realize I needed to change my priorities and GT and Forza allow me the opportunity to do just that.

I think GT5 is drastically hampered by inconsistency in the vehicles. Not only in the graphics but the handling is super wacky on some and seemingly amazing in others, a lot of this could be attributed to stuff like brake bias, but if they fucked up brake bias that badly what else did they screw up. The variable lock steering and general steering feel is great. The clutch + h shifter is massive fucked up. Still, some stuff like the Mercedes SLS on the ring is absolutely sublime.

FM4 is really fun but still hampered by variable ratio steering based on vehicle speed and attitude. It mutes the intensity. Braking is great but probably too great, it's much improved from FM3 and different vehicles now behave much differently and have different points at which they lock up. Balance under braking and general suspension modelling is vastly improved (as in it's more difficult to trail brake if you're not careful with how the weight is balanced during the turn.) If it had linear steering I'd have to test it but wouldn't be surprised if it felt better than GT5. Linear steering is the main thing holding it back.

I could point out ridiculous anomalies in each game but both have wonky issues at the limits of their vehicle physics, but most games do. iRacing's turn to go straight, go straight to turn setups prior to the NTM are a good example

Yoritomo said:

How's forza 4 going?
You're trying to grasp at how they look similar to FM3/4's tire load indicator even though GT4 has one that looks exactly the same. PD just took out a lot of the clutter. So please stop your "GT is copying Forza" bullshit. It would be really appreciated.

I also already said I don't have Forza 4.

JWong

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
God am I glad they didn't add shit that would be detrimental to the overall visual quality of the game.

You're right, kudos to T10 for making that choice not to put fluff in where it's only usable in very limited quantities and for the most part hurts the overall IQ of the game when it is added.
I'd rather have night racing, rally tracks, and weather with a few graphical issues than to not have them at all.

Small dips in framerate are barely noticeable, and I wouldn't notice it if it weren't for youtube videos with some "FPS meter" in it.

Yoritomo

phosphor112 said:
You're trying to grasp at how they look similar to FM3/4's tire load indicator even though GT4 has one that looks exactly the same. PD just took out a lot of the clutter. So please stop your "GT is copying Forza" bullshit. It would be really appreciated.

I also already said I don't have Forza 4.

Then your opinion on FM4 vs GT5 is completely and utterly pointless.

kazinova

Ravage said:
huh? My gf plays almost as much GT5 as i do, so what exactly is your point again?
Mine watched the GT5 opening cutscene with me and walked away and wanted nothing to do with the game once I started playing. I'm not saying someone who doesn't normally get into sim racers couldn't like GT5, it's just plain easier to get someone to try Forza 4.

And to me that matters more than anything else. I even convinced a friend to get Forza 4 where I could never do so with GT5. Liveries, ease of intro and presentation are so important in the overall qualities of a game.

Personally I think the looks and simulation in Forza 4 is superior but if someone disagrees and cares only about the driving model they desire and prefers GT5, more power to you. My games need that and so much more to vie for my precious spare time.

(Note: everyone who passionately trolls in this thread eventually gets to the point where they realize they'll never convince any fanboy to change their opinion and they give up on this thread--like I am right now.)

Edit:
If you don't own and have put serious time into BOTH Gran Turismo 5 AND Forza Motorsport 4 you don't get to have an opinion.

Yoritomo said:
Then your opinion on F4 vs GT5 is completely and utterly pointless.
Wtf? I was talking about the fucking tire load indicator, because you implied the indicator looked like it was from Forza. I told you that was grasping for straws (in which it is). I've seen the telemetry thing for both FM3 and 4, and just because it's fucking circles doesn't mean shit to GT5. GT4, as already shown, has circles for it's tire load.

In the end, none of it fucking matters. I call you out on grasping for straws and you get so fucking butt devastated about it. That was to the whole fucking extent on me commenting about FM4. Get over yourself.

offshore

kazinova said:
Mine watched the GT5 opening cutscene with me and walked away and wanted nothing to do with the game once I started playing
Was that the original or Spec II intro? If it was the original intro, understandable; if it was the second, she has no soul!

I watched Spec II's opening movie and got a intense desire to go racing; I watched GT5's original movie with a intense desire to throw my television out of the window.

Fredrik said:
Opinions opinions opinions...

Forza 4 - Metacritic score 91
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/forza-motorsport-4/critic-reviews
Destructoid - 100
IGN - 95
GameTrailers - 94
1UP - 91
Gamereactor Sweden - 90
EDGE - 80
Giant Bomb - 80

Gran Turismo 5 - Metacritic score 84
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/gran-turismo-5/critic-reviews
Destructoid - 100
1UP - 91
GameTrailers - 90
IGN - 85
Gamereactor Sweden - 70
EDGE - 70
Giant Bomb - 60

My own take on this...
I've only been playing Gran Turismo up until now but the high review scores for Forza 4 by reviewers that are usually very very hard to please swayed me over this time. Plus, the sound! :)

How can you contradict yourself that badly, if they are opinions then you shouldn't rely on them to sway you. Forza 4 is an awesome game but no matter what game it is Never i repeat NEVER rely on review scores to decide whether you should buy a game. btw those guys you think are hard to please are not.

adelante

JWong said:
I'd rather have night racing, rally tracks, and weather with a few graphical issues than to not have them at all.

Small dips in framerate are barely noticeable, and I wouldn't notice it if it weren't for youtube videos with some "FPS meter" in it.
Well who's to say there won't be drastic compromises if they implemented those features into a Forza game? Maybe Turn10 couldn't find a way to deliver them even by the standards that you consider acceptable in time for release...

kazinova

offshore said:
Was that the original or Spec II intro? If it was the original intro, understandable; if it was the second, she has no soul!

I watched Spec II's opening movie and got a intense desire to go racing; I watched GT5's original movie with a intense desire to throw my television out of the window.
It was the original, first impressions can be so important when appraising games as a working adult. It's time like this fall that I wish that I had appreciated my unemployment time more.

adelante

phosphor112 said:
Wtf? I was talking about the fucking tire load indicator, because you implied the indicator looked like it was from Forza. I told you that was grasping for straws (in which it is). I've seen the telemetry thing for both FM3 and 4, and just because it's fucking circles doesn't mean shit to GT5. GT4, as already shown, has circles for it's tire load.

In the end, none of it fucking matters. I call you out on grasping for straws and you get so fucking butt devastated about it. That was to the whole fucking extent on me commenting about FM4. Get over yourself.
Woah, easy there. LOL

jaypah

phosphor112 said:

Lmao holy shit!

adelante said:
Yeah, this thread can do that you... brings out the worst in people i tell ya.
It just infuriates me when I tell him something then he just pulls a red herring out of fucking nowhere to thwart whatever argument I have.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
How can you contradict yourself that badly, if they are opinions then you shouldn't rely on them to sway you. Forza 4 is an awesome game but no matter what game it is Never i repeat NEVER rely on review scores to decide whether you should buy a game. btw those guys you think are hard to please are not.
Scores and metacritics are important, man. They tell me that Forza Motorsport 3 is better than Forza Motorsport 4, y'know?

I mean, 92 vs 91 is pretty clear.

Yoritomo

This thread is sorta fun in a weird way. It's like watching Jerry Springer.

Even the GTPlanet Forza vs GT thread is much more subdued and sane.

thuway

Just my opinion but GT5 is a more clinical, photorealistic look that is unparalleled to any driving game out there.

Forza looks good, but its too cartoony for me. It has its fans, and thats cool. As for the driving experience, I prefer GT5, and thats just my opinion.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Ok, so having played Forza 4 for two solid days, here's my take.

Let's get the obvious one out of the way, graphics. In Forza 4 I can pick any one of the cars available and not have to worry about it being inferior in looks to any other car. While GT5's premium vehicles are clearly the better looking (props to Turn 10 for the hefty improvements from Forza 3), I appreciate that ALL the cars are pretty damn good looking across the board in Forza.

Here's something that I found interesting. A lot of people state that Forza has the better track side detail in comparison to the two games, but I find that when it comes to Turn 10's fictional tracks like the mountain track in Spain and the Burmese Alps, they do look better than Polyphony's non-city fictional tracks (perhaps that's because most of those tracks in GT5 are touched up PS2 assets). But then you play tracks like Circuit de la Sarthe, Nurburgring, Suzuka in both games, and GT's versions in my opinion look better. Oddly enough though, Laguna Seca looks better in Forza. I like the fact that Forza 4 doesn't have the screen tearing that GT5 does, and the buttery smooth frame rate is also much appreciated. To be fair though, those issues really didn't detract from my enjoyment of GT.

AI and physics I'd say are a wash between the two; I'd give a slight nod to Forza for AI, and an equally slight nod to GT5 for the driving physics. One thing I would like to note is that, in Forza the cars seem to be able to drift a lot easier than in GT. Might just be me though. Car sounds clearly goes to Forza. I really wish Polyphony would incorporate vehicle engine sounds similar to those in Turn 10's game. Most of the cars sound very similar to me in GT, but in Forza my ears can distinguish the little differences between cars and engines in the game.

Career mode goes to Forza without a moments pause. Putting aside special and seasonal events, the career mode in GT5 is similar if not the exact same thing as was in previous GT games. In fact they removed a hefty amount of content that was available in GT4 in the new one. No more manufacturer events, they removed the driving missions, they took out the "3x" feature from B-Spec mode, they made paints a collectable type thing, the reward cars and credits were dismal, and they also got rid of the power and testing section. All in all, I was a bit bummed at GT5's career mode until the seasonal events were created.

Forza 4's career mode is fantastic. The RPG nature of choosing your own races, choosing your reward vehicle (from a predetermined list), the different types of events, the racing career like progression, LOVED IT. Rival mode is also something else that shines in this game. Car customization is another area that Forza excels at. The stuff you can do to your cars; engine, drive train, and aspiration swaps, I want that in GT. The extensive exterior customization for the non-exotic cars also needs to be in GT. The auction house is something else that I think would work wonderfully in Gran Turismo as well. People being able to purchase cars, tuning set ups, etc only goes to strengthening the community aspect of the game. Now stuff like a livery system, I don't personally use them a whole lot, but I can see why others want them, so it too should be there in GT.

That's how I feel about the two games. I love both series so I'm a happy guy right now.

Angst said:
Looks fantastic. Tell me more - who's making it, is it only old F1 cars or more open?

If it's Codemasters I'll erase that video from my mind forever.

Slightly Mad Studios, but they're not being ordered around by EA this time.

JWong said:

Well, I guess that's where we differ, after tons of hours in GT5 I do notice the differences. A lot. It's not "small" and I haven't even seen videos with FPS meters to be honest, this is all from my playtime.

But again, I think that's the biggest disagreement I have with many GT players. I don't mind not having night racing and such, it's the tearing that I can't stand and the inconsistencies in the graphics which I noticed more often than not.

brotkasten said:
Scores and metacritics are important, man. They tell me that Forza Motorsport 3 is better than Forza Motorsport 4, y'know?

I mean, 92 vs 91 is pretty clear.

Well, all Forza's are in the 90's on Metacritic so I can see how it's tough to tell which one is more amazing when they all are.

test_account

XP-39C²
kazinova said:
Mine watched the GT5 opening cutscene with me and walked away and wanted nothing to do with the game once I started playing. I'm not saying someone who doesn't normally get into sim racers couldn't like GT5, it's just plain easier to get someone to try Forza 4.
Just wondering, in what way is it easier?

Curufinwe

Did Microsoft ever reveal LTD sales for Forza 3? As far as I know the best figures we have for comparison are:

Forza 3 sold 2 million copies after just over three months on sale.
http://www.next-gen.biz/news/forza-3-sales-surpass-2-million

GT 5 sold 6.37 million copies after just over one month on sale.
http://www.next-gen.biz/news/forza-3-sales-surpass-2-million

Here on GAF Che Chou claimed that Forza 3 has sold "not quite" 4 million after eight months.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21728807&postcount=429

And that's all I can find online.

kazinova

test_account said:
Just wondering, in what way is it easier?
It starts with a couple things, the intro, the visual appeal of the menus and the pleasing narration telling you what everything does eases you into all the options you have.

Then the driving assists make anyone able to enjoy the game. It doesn't make the game arcadey, just a simple racing game. Then the game encourages you to remove assists in order to get more credits. Combine that with the fact that the game gives you really nice cars in a matter of minutes you can see why a casual player would find it an easier pill to swallow.

Add to that the online marketplace for tunes, liveries etc. And you can get pretty much anyone with the slightest interest in cars to love Forza 4.

A simulation racing game can be fun and a good simulation too. Not just one or the other. (I find simulation racing fun, but most people don't think of it as fun, more as dry and punishing, mostly because of GT <------PERSONAL OPINION)

Top Bottom