• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

p3tran said:
this thread is so much fun.
more importantly, its a reminder that not everybody in here knows the hell he's talking about.
yeah... I mean the fact this thread is still open while the true king of racing games Daytona USA was just announced for both consoles should have really put a end to this discussion.

jaypah

i dont think the Forza series looks cartoony, i just think it's not as realistic as GT. but people act like the only two options are either look as real as GT or you're a full blown Saturday morning cartoon. hell, if i hadn't actually played Forza i'd assume that it was cell shaded going by this thread. i agree there's something weird about the color and lighting but i'd be reaching to say it looks like a cartoon.

As I already said, regarding reviews, for me Forza has already reached Fifa status. Barely any changes, sometimes they even take things out, (bi)yearly and still always has above 90 metacritic store. I guess it's because it's pretty (or very) casual friendly.

Shaneus

Risk Breaker said:
As I already said, regarding reviews, for me Forza has already reached Fifa status. Barely any changes, sometimes they even take things out, (bi)yearly and still always has above 90 metacritic store. I guess it's because it's pretty (or very) casual friendly.
What constitutes "barely any changes"?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The only thing that gets me is that GT5 made tons of additions and post release changes/IMPROVEMENTS yet some just overlook the raw content in the game. And features that Forza doesn't have. I wish I could enjoy both but my Xbox has been dead and sold for a while. I would be right here tooting and praising that game too but I can't.

But again, GT5 has great menus, tons of features, and a great online community/experience. I'm not even listing all the other neat things like track maker and such as you all should know.

paskowitz

Xanadu said:
forza 3 was mediocre

If anything FM3 was over hyped. It kinda sucked. It had good sound, the livery editor, and a decent car list... everything else was average. FM4 may not seem like a massive improvement to the general eye, but it is leaps and bounds better.

I never understood why people thought FM3 was better than GT5. Even as a GT fan I can understand why people like FM4 more. It is a very good game and no amount of nitpicking can detract from that.

Shaneus said:
What constitutes "barely any changes"?

Let me reword it: no big changes. No big new features :p At least F3 has a higher metascore than F4 (I think?) and if they continue just upgrading the game I hope that trend continues.

paskowitz said:
I never understood why people thought FM3 was better than GT5. Even as a GT fan I can understand why people like FM4 more. It is a very good game and no amount of nitpicking can detract from that.

Because metacritic!!

Shaneus

Risk Breaker said:
Let me reword it: no big changes. No big new features :p At least F3 has a higher metascore than F4 (I think?) and if they continue just upgrading the game I hope that trend continues.
So, like the lighting system, Autovista, Rivals, Top Gear, head tracking... yeah, I can see why you'd think it's hardly changed since FM3.

Wazzim

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
But again, GT5 has great menus, tons of features, and a great online community/experience. I'm not even listing all the other neat things like track maker and such as you all should know.
I have never met someone in real life who liked the menus, what is this.

Xanadu

Banned
Shaneus said:
So, like the lighting system, Autovista, Rivals, Top Gear, head tracking... yeah, I can see why you'd think it's hardly changed since FM3.
there arent enough tracks, the best thing about forza 4 is the physics..i dont give a crap about autovista and top gear stuff

Shaneus

Xanadu said:
there arent enough tracks, the best thing about forza 4 is the physics..i dont give a crap about autovista and top gear stuff
Someone said "no new changes/features". You can't say there isn't anything new about it then qualify that statement by saying there isn't anything YOU like about what's new in it.

Xanadu

Banned
Shaneus said:
Someone said "no new changes/features". You can't say there isn't anything new about it then qualify that statement by saying there isn't anything YOU like about what's new in it.
autovista is useless, jeremy commentary is cool but it shouldnt have a been a huge feature thing. all forza needs is more tracks and night/weather..then were talking

LiquidMetal14

Wazzim said:
I have never met someone in real life who liked the menus, what is this.
That argument always makes me laugh or grin, literally. Do the menus hurt your mind or give you cancer or something?

I mean, preference is one thing but they are sleek and highly functional AND have been improved upon post launch. They were never a problem only for those wanting it to be like another game's menu system. For the amount of content, that menu system works amazingly well and it's just really cool looking.

It's not less functional or game breaking because of that design but people keep tooting that horn like it's fact. It's opinion and far from reality.

Wazzim

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
Coming from GT4, GT5 was way better.
Well yeah that doesn't say much. Gt4's menu was good for the time it came out, GT5's is not.

LiquidMetal14 said:
That argument always makes me laugh or grin, literally. Do the menus hurt your mind or give you cancer or something?

I mean, preference is one thing but they are sleek and highly functional AND have been improved upon post launch. They were never a problem only for those wanting it to be like another game's menu system. For the amount of content, that menu system works amazingly well and it's just really cool looking.

It's not less functional or game breaking because of that design but people keep tooting that horn like it's fact. It's opinion and far from reality.
Guess we have different standards then.

Polyphony

Don't really see the issue with the menus either. Not the biggest fan of the main GT Life page, but I find the rest of the menus sleek looking as well. The main issue was that it used to be slow. Now it's acceptable imo.

I guess that makes us 2!

Wazzim

Banned
I have to add that GT5 still has that lovely 'warm' feeling though. The whole presentation of the menus makes me feel warm and cozy just like the other GT's for some reason.

Wazzim said:
I have to add that GT5 still has that lovely 'warm' feeling though. The whole presentation of the menus makes me feel warm and cozy just like the other GT's for some reason.
Yeah, it's so warm and cozy, it makes me fall asleep.

jaypah

Yeah fuck those menus. Fuck that whole interface really. Fuck that jazz music too. Aww yeah, lets get ready to tear up the ring! *smooth jazz* GET HYPE!

I paid my 60 bucks and it was more than worth it. If you don't like my opinion then Whatevz, come at me bro.

LiquidMetal14

jaypah said:
Yeah fuck those menus. Fuck that whole interface really. Fuck that jazz music too. Aww yeah, lets get ready to tear up the ring! *smooth jazz* GET HYPE!

I paid my 60 bucks and it was more than worth it. If you don't like my opinion then Whatevz, come at me bro.
Your certainly entitled to that BUT

That game is all class. The music and everything embodies a lot of the elegance and beastly nature of cars.

The menu's have been commented on already.

see5harp

Music seemed so shitty in GT and the implementation of custom soundtracks was hella dumb. Forza was only better in the music department because GT5 was so bad.

jaypah

LiquidMetal14 said:
Your certainly entitled to that BUT

That game is all class. The music and everything embodies a lot of the elegance and beastly nature of cars.

The menu's have been commented on already.

Dude, EVERYTHING has been commented on already. This thread is old as dirt. I guess you could say it's classy but I don't see why classy and cold/boring have to go hand in hand. the whole thing just gives off a cheesy vibe that is part musem and part fine dining waiting area. It's great that it sets the mood for you I'm just saying that it does jack shit for me.

cajunator

Banned
Basically the main differences between the two are the lighting engine is better in GT5 and Forza 4 didn't half-ass some of the carmodels. All other aspects of the games are subjective.
Personally, I enjoy Forza more, though I have yet to play Forza 4.

see5harp

Dude nice restaurants don't play that nonsense in the waiting room. GT5 is like Musak and dentist office music. It's part of the history of the series and there's a reason it's there but it's never been good.

Xanadu

Banned
see5harp said:
Dude nice restaurants don't play that nonsense in the waiting room. GT5 is like Musak and dentist office music. It's part of the history of the series and there's a reason it's there but it's never been good.
GT1 music ruled

jaypah

see5harp said:

Sorry, I live in new Orleans and a lot of nice restaurants play smooth jazz. Its probably different in other places.

And actually they should play SF4's 'indestructable'

see5harp

jaypah said:
Sorry, I live in new Orleans and a lot of nice restaurants play smooth jazz. Its probably different in other places.

And actually they should play SF4's 'indestructable'

I don't know. You may have a different opinion of what classy is than I do. That SF song is worse than smooth jazz.

jaypah

see5harp said:
I don't know. You may have a different opinion of what classy is than I do. That SF song is worse than smooth jazz.

Sports coat required, expensive ass menus. I guess they're classy? I don't really know. The patrons sometimes look at me as if I should drop dead so I guess that's classy! :p

Also I was joking about the SF4 song.

see5harp

I'd rather listen to my father's Michael Buble album than smooth jazz. Actually stuff like Diana Krall and Michael Buble is an improvement over smooth jazz. If you listen to smooth jazz radio stations it's all universally terrible. Stuff like generic jazz covers of terrible Coldplay songs. Really contemporary jazz music, in general, is pretty terrible.

EDIT: It's not just that..I recall a pretty generic sounding smooth jazz/bossanova number that really screamed class LOL.

kazinova

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Well smooth Jazz is not horrible Jazz now is it? GT5's Jazz might not be classics but they are damn well above average.
Uh, smooth jazz may be the worst music ever created, I'll take an oompah band before I listen to Kenny G.

Arklite

In GT5 there's actually a lot of "lounge" music that isn't set on by default, but you can set it by browsing through the music library. It actually makes for some pretty awesome menu themes. GT4 was the same way, there's a lot of good music turned off that's better than the default selection.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Well smooth Jazz is not horrible Jazz now is it? GT5's Jazz might not be classics but they are damn well above average.
Whatever, it gets really boring after a year. Could've included some new BGM in Spec 2.0.

test_account

XP-39C²
kazinova said:
It starts with a couple things, the intro, the visual appeal of the menus and the pleasing narration telling you what everything does eases you into all the options you have.

Then the driving assists make anyone able to enjoy the game. It doesn't make the game arcadey, just a simple racing game. Then the game encourages you to remove assists in order to get more credits. Combine that with the fact that the game gives you really nice cars in a matter of minutes you can see why a casual player would find it an easier pill to swallow.

Add to that the online marketplace for tunes, liveries etc. And you can get pretty much anyone with the slightest interest in cars to love Forza 4.

A simulation racing game can be fun and a good simulation too. Not just one or the other. (I find simulation racing fun, but most people don't think of it as fun, more as dry and punishing, mostly because of GT <------PERSONAL OPINION)
I understand. I first thought that you just ment to get very casual gamers to try the game. Then the menu and all that stuff doesnt really matter. I've played GT5 with my dad and he never play games, still it was no problem getting him to try the game :) It is just to select split screen, then you select car and then the race is on. So in this case i couldnt see why it would be easier to get people to try Forza 4.

Does Forza 4 have much more driving assists compared to GT5 by the way?

Kaze13

Is everyone aware that you can set the menu music to be whatever you like from the entire gt5 collection? Or just load up your own...

skyfinch

TheAzRim said:
Alright we're up to music now. Was the font covered already?

All that is left is a Kaz VS Dan dance off.

After music and dance, it's off to the beard growing contest, then my personal favourite.....swimsuit competition.

I'm a Forza guy, i love the first Gran Turismo and the second one, but now the game is a boring mess of glorious features. Premium cars are awesome, and the jazz they used is the best elevator's music EVER. But the game is not fun anymore. With Forza3 Turn10 made a good step in the right direction but the game still inferior, Forza4 instead is an awesome game, and I repeat the word GAME.

Top Bottom