• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

chrislowe

biggest problem with GT5 is the tracklist that have tracks with lots of hairpin-corners.
spa will make it better, cause it has lots of highspeedcorners, but otherwise.. tracks like tsukuba.. one of the most boring tracks ever?
Bring me a1-ring, zandrvoort, and other tracks instead please

malyce

chrislowe said:
biggest problem with GT5 is the tracklist that have tracks with lots of hairpin-corners.
spa will make it better, cause it has lots of highspeedcorners, but otherwise.. tracks like tsukuba.. one of the most boring tracks ever?
this thread gets better by the day

KKRT00

chrislowe said:
What? Its one of my favourite tracks and its definitely not boring.

malyce said:
this thread gets better by the day
Kinda reminds me of that NASCAR driver who drove at Le Mans this year and complained about the amount of corners. :lol

KKRT00 said:
What? Its one of my favourite tracks and its definitely not boring.
Tsukuba is like one of the worst tracks of all time. That 4 hour endurance race in GT5 was probably one of my worst racing experiences ever. 200 laps of BORING and DEATH.

Dead Man

So, I guess this is the right place to ask, hoping for some honest opinions. How is the actual driving and suspension model for FM4? I have never played a Forza, but I am thinking of getting a 360 for 4. If there is the same depth of suspension and car tuning (not just adding parts) that GT has, I would love the game I think.

vanty

brotkasten said:
Kinda reminds me of that NASCAR driver who drove at Le Mans this year and complained about the amount of corners. :lol

Tsukuba is like one of the worst tracks of all time. That 4 hour endurance race in GT5 was probably one of my worst racing experiences ever. 200 laps of BORING and DEATH.
Tsukuba is a great track for sprint races and time attacks, but I'd never want to do an endurance race there. Though I'd say any endurance race in a game is boring as fuck.

Dead Man said:
So, I guess this is the right place to ask, hoping for some honest opinions. How is the actual driving and suspension model for FM4? I have never played a Forza, but I am thinking of getting a 360 for 4. If there is the same depth of suspension and car tuning (not just adding parts) that GT has, I would love the game I think.
There's really no difference between the two in that regard, so I reckon you'd like it.

CozMick

Banned
ibyAZDpSr0zHfm.gif

Sorry, I just had to.

Went back to check on GT5's 2.0 update. Is there really no way to enable damage in the A-Spec career races? Second, as solid as the driving is in GT5 it can't help but get boring extremely quick. Other than that GT5 still feels like a rushed, unfinished game especially after playing the extremely polished FORZA 4. Just one person's opinion though.

Mizzou Gaming said:
Went back to check on GT5's 2.0 update. Is there really no way to enable damage in the A-Spec career races? Second, as solid as the driving is in GT5 it can't help but get boring extremely quick. Other than that GT5 still feels like a rushed, unfinished game especially after playing the extremely polished FORZA 4. Just one person's opinion though.
I don't think the AI can handle damage properly.

Dead Man

The reason there is an edurance race in GT at Tsukuba is because there is a 4 hour MX5 endurance race at the real track.

vanty said:
There's really no difference between the two in that regard, so I reckon you'd like it.
Cheers. I think I will, it will just be quite the investment on my part time wages to buy a console for one game. It places some pressure on that game to be good ;)

eso76

skyfinch said:
After music and dance, it's off to the beard growing contest

like i said in fm4 OT, after two weeks of playing fm4 i found myself wearing a nice beard.

Beard from "can't be bothered to shave, let me race some more".

Now i realize why Dan Greenawalt wears a beard.
He'd rather play his game than shave.

Bottom line;
Always trust a game developer who wears a beard.

In case you need further proof to my new theory:

200px-Jeff_Minter_-_GDC_2007.jpg

you can't go wrong

But seriously, GT5 has a very good soundtrack, diverse and generally high quality (also, sounds uncompresesd).
Only problem is the good stuff is not enabled by default, so yeah, there's cheap jazz but there's a lot of good music too.

Az

CozMick said:
ibyAZDpSr0zHfm.gif

Sorry, I just had to.

Before anyone starts talking shit about the car popping up in the rear view mirror, that is the ghost car that appears after he passes the finish line.

Goldrusher

TheAzRim said:
Before anyone starts talking shit about the car popping up in the rear view mirror, that is the ghost car that appears after he passes the finish line as soon as he is faster than the ghost.
Fixed.

The finish line is on the straight before the hairpin.

Marco1

That GT5 Spa video is so amazing and the reason why PD should have the time they get to develop the GT series but it's the framerate and screen tearing that annoys me. There are times that I could fall in love with GT5 and then it would make me hate it.
I remember looking inside a ferrari F40 while racing in photomode and the gearstick was in the right place for what was showing in the HUD. I wouldn't even try that in forza as I know it wouldn't happen.
But I prefer forza4 yet I really do hope that GT5 is nothing more than a testing ground for GT6.

The Stig

as someone who owns both games and does not attach their ego to either one, I must say this thread is pathetic.

Its so obvious that certain people can only have one game (for whatever reason) and they desperately feel the need to defend it unreasonably.

CozMick said:

Some people at my house watched this gif. I must admit they don't play HD-games but nevertheless... they thought it was real , or that the track was shopped. They were gobsmacked when they heard it was a game.

TheAzRim said:
Before anyone starts talking shit about the car popping up in the rear view mirror, that is the ghost car that appears after he passes the finish line.

I didn't even notice that, just the big chuck of scenery suddenly disappearing.

Ty4on

Steve McQueen said:
Some people at my house watched this gif. I must admit they don't play HD-games but nevertheless... they thought it was real , or that the track was shopped. They were gobsmacked when they heard it was a game.
This is why I don't get why GT5 didn't get some awards for its graphics. Sure it's got blocky shadows, tearing (still well over 30 fps) and bad "alpha-to-somethingforparticleeffects", but it's the only game I know of that can look real. And not just in photomode.

The guys at PD really knows how to nail the lightning and textures. CGI rarely looks that good because it's just got a ton of polys etc. and no art.
Phonomezer said:
I didn't even notice that, just the big chuck of scenery suddenly disappearing.
The LOD in the mirrors is awful, was also like that in prologue. Played prologue as a pretty big Xbox fan for the first time and I looked for anything that looked bad. Then I saw the mirrors and the PS1 models for the cars in the rear view mirror...

Really hope we'll see Forza and GT in the next console generation.

chrislowe said:

What the fuck is this shit, i don even.........wat?

chrislowe

Pazuzu9 said:

well, most tracks in Gran Turismo is really boring. I dont enjoy all these lowspeed-corners 90degree turns that most tracks seem to have.
Its like an indoorkarting track many times :)

im only on level 17 right now, but tracks like Tsukuba most be one of the worst track ever made!. Its really really boring.

I love Suzuka, Nurburgring, and Autumn Ring mini, those tracks are good.

But i would also love to see A1-ring, Watkins Glen, Rouen les asserts, old silverstone (60ies track). tracks with elevationchanges, and fast corners where you have to steer the car with the throttle also.

Spa is a great track, and was even greater when it had the old tracklayout. Hope they will bring that in also :)

and i really hope they will get better forcefeedback for the wheel soon.
GT5's ffb doesnt add anything to the feel of the car actually.

Try Papyrus old games for great forcefeedback. in Grand prix legends you could feel the suspension work and all in the forcefeedback, and same thing in nascar 2003. and those games are 13 and 9 years old.

Otherwise its the best cargame i know :)

Shaneus

Dead Man said:
The reason there is an edurance race in GT at Tsukuba is because there is a 4 hour MX5 endurance race at the real track.
Isn't it an endurance race at Tsukuba in GT because you're taking into account the load times?

Dead Man said:
I can't speak for the technical accuracy of the model, but I can tell you that whatever they used, you can really feel (somehow) every bit of traction and contact with the road the car has. Definitely wasn't there in 3 (at least, not massively) and is definitely there in GT. Whether one feels any better or not is much of a muchness. Playing with a controller, I definitely prefer FM4 (fucking despise the DS3) but with a wheel and taking into account the bug with the 900 degree steering on FM4 there may not be any difference between the two.

PS. That Spa video/gif - omg. If only they could wrap a game around it that doesn't bore/frustrate me to absolute tears.

Shaneus

Metalmurphy said:
What load times?

With Spec 2 I don't even have time to scratch my ass now.
Shitstirring ;) TBH they were almost the same as FM3, if not slightly longer or shorter. Glad that Spec 2 has fixed it though (haven't fired up my PS3 to check recently).

Does it look like it installed more stuff on the fly post-update? That'd have to be the only explanation.

RukusProvider said:
Why is the car leaving no slide marks or smoke?
Damnit, I knew there was something I couldn't put my finger on that didn't look right. Now it's all I'll be able to see.

test_account

XP-39C²
RukusProvider said:
Probably because it isnt high speed enough, or not the right conditions are met. Sometimes even serious drifting hardly leaves any slide marks or smoke, in real life.

Shaneus said:
Shitstirring ;) TBH they were almost the same as FM3, if not slightly longer or shorter. Glad that Spec 2 has fixed it though (haven't fired up my PS3 to check recently).

Does it look like it installed more stuff on the fly post-update? That'd have to be the only explanation.

Seems like they just optimized them and masked them. Nothing more was installed stuff.

Tracks load in 5-10 seconds, cars start loading after that while your in menus. If you're driving alone it takes like 10 seconds to get in the race, sometimes less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mb55Ac2PGc&t=03m02s

RukusProvider said:
Because he's not driving like a maniac?

GT5 has both.

RukusProvider said:
Damnit, I knew there was something I couldn't put my finger on that didn't look right. Now it's all I'll be able to see.

Looks right to me. Look at the tire grip indicators, they never go red for more then a few mili seconds and only 1 tire.

Top Bottom