• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Snubbers

Metalmurphy said:
GP4
LFS
rFactor
GTR
GTR
Colin McRae games
PS2 WRC games
Race 07
Supercar Challenge
Toca
GT2-GT5
C.A.R.S.

Enough to be counted as a "sim head"? Can't be bothered to pay a monthly fee for iRacing, hope that doesn't disqualify me.

Also, didn't list SHIFT for obvious reasons.

Man, I would say TOCA is the reason I do gravitate towards more sim/sim-esque games..

But, you lose, no FM4 on there makes you just a casual :p

I haven't stumped up for C.A.R.S. yet.. too little time, but it looks very promising, although I need more feedback about the physics, I've not been a fan of Shift, so need confirmation it's not gone in that direction..

Snubbers

Pepto said:

Like being a supposed sim head means anything?

I could all the way back to Geoff Crammonds GPs, but it wouldn't detract from the fact that I play GT/FM for the correct amount of fun to 'sim', rather then pure sim headedness..

:)

Snubbers said:
Man, I would say TOCA is the reason I do gravitate towards more sim/sim-esque games..

But, you lose, no FM4 on there makes you just a casual :p

I haven't stumped up for C.A.R.S. yet.. too little time, but it looks very promising, although I need more feedback about the physics, I've not been a fan of Shift, so need confirmation it's not gone in that direction..

I've played more then those listed, including Forza. But not enough to count. I don't have or plan on having a 360. 1 console per gen, always been that way always will. Hard enough to find time to play all the games I want with just the PC and 1 console.

Pepto said:

tumblr_lp6prwANpo1qf7ufd.png

So now LFS is not a "true sim" for "true sim heads"?

Because it's the PC sim I've enjoyed the most, maybe I'm a casual or something :(

Oh and GT5 may be lacking in some aspects of the simulation, but using a high-powered car with little aero and comfort tyres is not exactly "arcadey" or just "fun". I find it almost as hard as LFS, to be honest.

Oh and I also like/love Ridge Racer. WHAT NOW, UH?

Snubbers

Risk Breaker said:
So now LFS is not a "true sim" for "true sim heads"?

Because it's the PC sim I've enjoyed the most, maybe I'm a casual or something :(

Oh and GT5 may be lacking in some aspects of the simulation, but using a high-powered car with little aero and comfort tyres is not exactly "arcadey" or just "fun". I find it almost as hard as LFS, to be honest.

Oh and I also like/love Ridge Racer. WHAT NOW, UH?

Come again? Did anyone mention LFS?

LFS is a good sim IMO.

And yes, I agree, some aspect of GT5 is similar to more hardcore sims, the high level snappiness to the cars does tend more towards classic PC sims, I've always commended GT for that.. Of course, if you look at the entire breadth of physics, that's where you see a gap between the sim-cades and sims'.. even Forza does a lot right at the lower levels of physics IMO, but that's not what most people see on first inspection..

Shaneus said:
Metalmurphy is a one-console guy? No wonder he so fervently sticks up for GT5. Has to justify his life choices.

What the... I had a 360 before I got a PS3 and I also prefer GT5. I doubt it has anything to do with that in MM case and in general.

Snubbers said:
Come again? Did anyone mention LFS?

LFS is a good sim IMO.

And yes, I agree, some aspect of GT5 is similar to more hardcore sims, the high level snappiness to the cars does tend more towards classic PC sims, I've always commended GT for that.. Of course, if you look at the entire breadth of physics, that's where you see a gap between the sim-cades and sims'.. even Forza does a lot right at the lower levels of physics IMO, but that's not what most people see on first inspection..

I thought maybe people in here considered LFS a bad sim... it wouldn't be the first time I've read it, really. And I'm glad you agree with me, and yeah, that's what I was talking about. A lot of people that like sims are usually unable to appreciate that there's a good level of simulation on consoles too.

shinn, my man, I was just joking. No need to argue over this one. You post silly looking back streets from GT tracks, I post a weirdly and silly looking picture of FM4. It's all we do in this thread after all, no? :p

shinnn

Risk Breaker said:
shinn, my man, I was just joking. No need to argue over this one. You post silly looking back streets from GT tracks, I post a weirdly and silly looking picture of FM4. It's all we do in this thread after all, no? :p
lol.. looking back streets? You have just to look left or right. One of the buildings is in the track itself.

shinnn said:
lol.. looking back streets? You have just to look left or right. One of the buildings is in the track itself.

I meant "silly-looking, back streets". I've seen at least a couple of those while I was cruising around Madrid paying close attention to all the streets. The way they have to cut corners and use plane images as streets on the sides of the track is cute.

Understandable though, imagine PD modelling the entire area. ETA 2020.

shinnn said:
Yeah, just look left or right.

As if those photos aren't taken at an altitude higher then the cars.

Also why would you post Madrid shots when they were comparing London?

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah, just look left or right.

As if those photos aren't taken at an altitude higher then the cars.
lol.. look left or right in photomode. Since you put a feature in your game, you should assume that someone will use it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Does Forza 4 (or 3) have any city tracks?

shinnn said:
lol.. look left or right in photomode. Since you put a feature in your game, you should assume that someone will use it.
Are there any reasons to take bad pictures with the photomode though?

Angst

shinnn said:
That pic you posted was weird though with the GT logo the wrong way but the houses the right way.

Next thing someone will say that they always drive looking to the left and that ugly bitmap made them throw up so they returned the game after playing it for 5 minutes. ;P

cjelly said:
Urgh.

Lipstick on a pig sums up most of GT5.
Yeah, every track looks like that from every angle. It's pretty hard to know what part of the screen is supposed to be the track and what part is supposed to be a car.

Congrats btw, you have soon found all the ugly pics. Post a Berlinette too

Polyphony

shinnn said:

I look left and right, and I see this ;)

6280788046_bb13b5f964_b.jpg

6278768645_206dd29f3a_b.jpg

6279288758_20826d1bd2_b.jpg

6278768211_c5810b80f3_b.jpg

6278768931_6decc033b5_b.jpg

Who needs racing when you can walk around and look left and right!

Polyphony

The point is, you can take good and bad pictures from both games (all three games now actually) with photomode if you really want to.

Actually, I'm sure you all know already. Why did I post in this thread again lol.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
If you could go through buildings in photomode like noclip you'd do it and complain there was nothing on the other side.
lol.gif
Pro-tip: you can noclip through cars and get the weirdest shots ever. Take pics of that and complain that's how the game looks on your screen. :D

shinnn

Polyphony said:
The point is, you can take good and bad pictures from both games (all three games now actually) with photomode if you really want to.

Actually, I'm sure you all know already. Why did I post in this thread again lol.
lol.. the point is, PGR4 tracks are way better than GT5 one's and are 100x larger. They are modelled instead of bitmap method in GT5.

test_account

XP-39C²
PGR4 is a 30fps game. Having the game run at 30fps means that there are possible to use the free hardware power to other things. PGR4 looks good indeed, but i dont think that this is that fair of a comparision. But why did this thread start to go GT5 vs PGR4 instead of GT5 vs FM4?

Vorg

Banned
shinnn said:
lol.. the point is, PGR4 tracks are way better than GT5 one's and are 100x larger. They are modelled instead of bitmap method in GT5.

To be fair you can probably find shit spots in FM4 and PGR4 as well if you look for them. However all of these games seem to be able to maintain their illusion fairly well while you're driving.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
test_account said:
Maybe because Forza 4 doesnt have any city tracks :p But honest question, does Forza 4 have any city tracks?
It doesn't (not even the old ones from F3), because from what I understand the new lighting engine didn't work right for the city environment.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
test_account said:
PGR4 is a 30fps game. Having the game run at 30fps means that there are possible to use the free hardware power to other things. PGR4 looks good indeed, but i dont think that this is that fair of a comparision.
GT5 is not even a 60fps game. Having the game run at sub-60fps means that there are possible to use the free hardware power to other things. GT5 looks good indeed, but i dont think that this is that fair of a comparision.

Angst

shinnn said:
PGR4 had a 2700 km track? oO

The silliness in this thread...

shinnn said:

The point is you can post good and bad pictures of any game if you so choose, you have chosen to only post bad pictures of GT5. If you want to help your case you should post both the bad and good instead of going "[Pic] lol".

EDIT: And is being "Larger" a good thing when it comes to recreating tracks?

test_account

XP-39C²
chubigans said:
It doesn't (not even the old ones from F3), because from what I understand the new lighting engine didn't work right for the city environment.
Ok, thanks :)

cjelly said:
GT5 is not even a 60fps game. Having the game run at sub-60fps means that there are possible to use the free hardware power to other things. GT5 looks good indeed, but i dont think that this is that fair of a comparision.
You're mixing 60fps VS locked 60fps :) GT5 is a 60fps game. If it wasnt a 60fps game, it would meant that it dont run at 60fps. Yes, there are some framerate drops a few times, but 99% of the time it is 60fps. And the reason why the framerate drops happens is because the hardware is being pushed too much (or that the code isnt optimized good enough).

malyce

Snubbers said:
True sim heads won't be playing either game, or they wouldn't be true 'sim heads'.. :p

When I want something proper 'sim', I play iRacing or similar.. when I want sim-esque with a fun slant, I pick up GT/FM, more FM at the moment, but still have SPA waiting to be downloaded for GT, so will no doubt get back to it at some point..
So you're saying i'm not a true sim head? Or are you saying GT is not a real sim? Because when i switched from GT to iRacing i had very little trouble getting up to speed.

Wazzim said:
We all know PGR4 wins when it comes to looks but this is a thread about Forza and Gran Turismo.

You are being as vague as anything, what constitutes looks. As far as i know PGR's weather effects are still unrivaled, and that can be considered as looks. But do the cars look better than GT5's premiums? that's another area that can be considered as "Looks".

Wazzim

Banned
GTP_Daverytimes said:
You are being as vague as anything, what constitutes looks. As far as i know PGR's weather effects are still unrivaled, and that can be considered as looks. But do the cars look better than GT5's premiums? that's another area that can be considered as "Looks".
I was indeed talking about things like weather effects, no console racer can wow you like PGR4 (IMO).

Top Bottom