• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

ResidentDante said:
Four posts compared to 328, wow, big deal! :D

And we know what airbraks are now, none of us were right back then. Don't open up that fail train again.

You'd have a point if my 400+ posts were troll posts like yours. Go ahead take a look. Oh and 4 were just the ones I bothered quoting.

ResidentDante said:
Nice that what I meant didn't really get heard. Airbrakes is this for all your information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_brake_(road_vehicle)

The moving spoiler which I commented about in that quote activates at a certain speed. It can be used to slow down or help with downforce. See the bottom part of the Wiki page. It's a fucking spoiler at the end of the day since it's use isn't only for braking. When it is angled for braking it works like an airbrake on an airplane. When you go fast it works like a spoiler to help downforce.
You should read that link to the end, instead of just the first part.

And in some cases they're just plain air brakes period.

mbslrmclaren05realcar.jpg

And they've been around for AGES.

fangio,+le+mans+1955+airbreak.jpg

It's pretty obvious you were completely oblivious to what they are called and in your ignorance you decided to make fun of the ones that mentioned it. It backfired, no need to backtrack now.

Metalmurphy said:
It's pretty obvious you were completely oblivious to what they are called and in your ignorance you decided to make fun of the ones that mentioned it. It backfired, no need to backtrack now.
Nah, I'd seen them in a few other games and once moving in real life on a Porsche. Never thought of calling them that since I'm used to the term from trucks and buses. Just seemed like the original dude mentioning them thought they were something new i GT on the PSP. The ones I commented on were on a Ferrari which works as both spoiler and air-brake I think (I don't have the search for my own posts function anymore it seems like).

I'm by the way not a self proclaimed racing fan, I really like going to watch racing, go to track days and play various racing games so maybe I am a fan? I'm not an expert if that's what you think I said. I know some things about cars, and other things I don't. That state was given to someone saying that he only played GT games and just couldn't be bothered with other games. I enjoy a lot of different racing games and always have through the years. Just don't understand the hate that went against Forza since the first game by people playing GT. I play both, they're both awesome and yes I maybe gave a kick towards GT5 and especially prologue back then, but man that was mainly because the hype was going mad.

KKRT00

Wow, someone disliked this GT 5 video on youtube... Nice fanboys we have here on neogaf [its only place i've posted it on].

Snubbers

KKRT00 said:
Wow, someone disliked this GT 5 video on youtube... Nice fanboys we have here on neogaf [its only place i've posted it on].

Imagine how many dislikes you'd get if you where silly enough to post a pro-FM video..

;)

Fanboys are everywhere.. it's ok to disklike things, but actively going out your way to show your dislike, is really where I draw the line to fanboyism..

:D

Afrikan

Need for Speed 2 had air brakes/moving spoiler.....so cool back then. The first time I saw it, I was like WTF is that popping up.

Mohonky

KKRT00 said:

If anything, that video really shows up how GT5 looks nothing like the incredible photo mode and replay screen shots posted in this thread. There's aliasing all over the place, horrible inconsistencies in the visuals and tearing.

I'm not saying Forza 4 is more impressive, but the difference between the two isn't as night and day as the screenshots posted in this thread suggest. I remember the first time I played GT5 I was really underwhelmed after seeing the stupid god level of visuals in the screens. Less impressed when I started having to play through the 'standard' content.

Broman1978

Sorry if I post this in here, but I couldn´t find any official thread or something, but since we talked about PGR4 a few times in this thread I go ahead and ask here.
A couple of friends of mine and I will start playing some PGR4 this monday and I started "practicing" since I have been playing alot of GT5 and Forza4 lately, Anyway, I tooked some photos but I cant seem to enter PGRNation to download my photos, I just get error messages... Anyone else having problem with that? (If somebody still play the game that is=P)

benzy

Sorry if I post this in here, but I couldn´t find any official thread or something, but since we talked about PGR4 a few times in this thread I go ahead and ask here.
A couple of friends of mine and I will start playing some PGR4 this monday and I started "practicing" since I have been playing alot of GT5 and Forza4 lately, Anyway, I tooked some photos but I cant seem to enter PGRNation to download my photos, I just get error messages... Anyone else having problem with that? (If somebody still play the game that is=P)

I bit late, but PGRnations is working for me.

A few days ago I thought I discovered a bug in GT5;
it appears there were premium cars where I could not enter full cockpit view during replays, only a black silhouette.
Turns out, it were standard cars...

People who complain about the fact that the standard cars 'lower the graphics' while playing, must be people who don't actually play the game, or actually race against standard cars. While playing there was never any suggestion that the cars I was racing against were not of the highest quality.

With all the lighting and reflections going on, even the standard cars look better than Forza4 cars, ingame at least, not in photomode or replay (although I would not be suprised if the standard cars shat over Forza4 in replay mode too)...

So when comparing the games (which is not fair at all IMO; based on the difference in developer skill, hardware, development time, budget and what not), the point against the standard cars IMO is severely exaggerated, unless the point is that they have lame cardboard cockpits.

Did Forza4 ever get any Track DLC btw? I don't know if it was ever promised but I was just wondering.

A few days ago I thought I discovered a bug in GT5;
it appears there were premium cars where I could not enter full cockpit view during replays, only a black silhouette.
Turns out, it were standard cars...

People who complain about the fact that the standard cars 'lower the graphics' while playing, must be people who don't actually play the game, or actually race against standard cars. While playing there was never any suggestion that the cars I was racing against were not of the highest quality.

With all the lighting and reflections going on, even the standard cars look better than Forza4 cars, ingame at least, not in photomode or replay (although I would not be suprised if the standard cars shat over Forza4 in replay mode too)...

So when comparing the games (which is not fair at all IMO; based on the difference in developer skill, hardware, development time, budget and what not), the point against the standard cars IMO is severely exaggerated, unless the point is that they have lame cardboard cockpits.

Did Forza4 ever get any Track DLC btw? I don't know if it was ever promised but I was just wondering.

Joke post? And why necro bump?

Joke post? And why necro bump?

"better" as in: looking like actual (real) cars

Ask yourself this:
what would look better: a matte plastic model of a car, which is highly rounded -or- a metal model of a car, albeit a less rounded one. There you my perceived difference.

When looking at forza 4: the environment was not even reflected in the CPU cars, it had a highly plastic look (yes I know 3 was even worse in that department, I am not mistaking 3 for 4)

Some standards are better than others, the tinted windows gives them away pretty easily. Up close when playing there's no denying they can look rough but I'm not that bothered by them.

There's good and bad in Forza too, no way do standards look as good as the majority of Forza models but the old, innacurate Forza1/2 models T10 refuse to let go are showing their age.

Also in the Italia (cup?) race, the one in Rome, there was no way in hell I could have picked out some of the standard cars when racing against them.
Maybe it had to do with the fact that they were kind of angular in real life to begin with?
Just play that race, with the environment reflections sliding over the bodies of the cars, smooth and clear as water and tell me those are standard cars :)

edit: this one

shinnn

Also in the Italia (cup?) race, the one in Rome, there was no way in hell I could have picked out some of the standard cars when racing against them.
Maybe it had to do with the fact that they were kind of angular in real life to begin with?
Just play that race, with the environment reflections sliding over the bodies of the cars, smooth and clear as water and tell me those are standard cars :)

edit: this one
If you can't distinguish between standard and premium cars, so you don't look the right guy to talk about graphics.

I just went back to GT 5 last night after Forza 4 since its release. GT 5 doesn't control like I remember. Is this supposed to be realistic? It felt so weird. Is their anyone who prefers GT 5 handling to F4?

IF it counts I prefer GT's stronger and more effect-heavy force feedback, feeling the bumps through the wheel might not always be realistic but it adds some life to it all.

Apart from that, Forza does most other things a bit better.

When I left GT5, it was because of functionality, and I finished A Spec. I had no idea the physics were so bad. I am shocked. I'm not going to rag on the game, but its jarring how much better F4 is to me. I just can't believe that for a game that thinks its as close to the real thing as possible, that they could be so wrong.

When I left GT5, it was because of functionality, and I finished A Spec. I had no idea the physics were so bad. I am shocked. I'm not going to rag on the game, but its jarring how much better F4 is to me. I just can't believe that for a game that thinks its as close to the real thing as possible, that they could be so wrong.

I don't know, I played both on wheels (no FF on X360 though) and controllers, and I'm not really car racing savvy.
On controllers, while they feel different to handle with the sticks, it seemed to me that they react as expected. Braking on curves, car sway.
On wheels, and this is consciously due FF (G27 here) GT5 is quite relatable with my driving experience. Again, since I don't race I can't honestly tell the nuances of physics performance. It just feels like it behaves like what I would expect in real life. Maybe if I ever go on a track day, I'll know for sure. Forza 4 was just more natural than the controller, but it certainly wasn't enough to feel any performance difference to tell who's "better".

And this is a funny discussion because all this could be discerned with objectivity, but rarely do I see an actual insightful and knowledgeable breakdown of both games.
It always falls down to subjective approaches. Which while quite valid, can "steer" either way, as it does.

Tutomos

I would guess GT5 with a proper wheel is the closet thing to reality. It'd be interesting to see if Forza has their own GT Academy kind of thing.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Holy shit!

I have been playing gt5 with my g27 and I take back what I said about the bad physics. Holy shit man....

I have a 200sx with 255kw at the wheels and subaru b4 with 230kw and I race them at eastern creek 3 or 4 times a year. I was amazed at how similiar gt5 felt to the real thing in terms of feed back you feel on the steering wheel, torque steer etc etc

my set up

ILK4r.jpg

cS3Lq.jpg

Dibbz

You should try out Shift 2. It's even more realistic, seriously.

TEH-CJ

Banned
That looks like a kick ass seat, but how do you keep it from moving all over the place?

Yea man its awesome.

I removed the wheels from the base which prevents it from moving all over the place, and custom welded steel rods through the center of the seat for stability. looks sharp.

fusionedd

Neo Member
Yea man its awesome.

I removed the wheels from the base which prevents it from moving all over the place, and custom welded steel rods through the center of the seat for stability. looks sharp.

Nice setup, seems like it's time for me to build a custom seat

Does the open drawer not get in the way?

It's your setup but I'd move the shifter console closer to the wheel even if it mean moving the wheel off centre from the display.

Perkel

Banned
I just went back to GT 5 last night after Forza 4 since its release. GT 5 doesn't control like I remember. Is this supposed to be realistic? It felt so weird. Is their anyone who prefers GT 5 handling to F4?

Search youtube for Permament driving aid forza 4.

I'm still angry at Turn 10

-Amon-

I'm guessing you played both with gamepads. If so, i have to agree with you. FM4 is much more enjoiable than GT5 with a pad, in my opinion at least.

If F4 has any steering aids they don't work very well, I've done around 200 hours and lost control countless times, I don't find it any easier than GT using the same wheels.

Top Bottom