• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Spa looks nice but I don't understand why there's still tearing and (small) frame rate drops when hot lapping in bumpercam, nothing else on the track, no smoke or dust and still it happens.

Emwitus

I got a 360 afew days ago and got Forza 3 Ultimate as Forza 4 was double the price here. I have had a PS3 since MGS4 came out in 2008 and have GT5. Let me just say the king is dead, there is a new king in the house. There graphics of Forza 3 are slightly lower and the online is smaller, but the game is way better in everything else for me. It's what GT5 should of being. I would rate GT5 a 4 out of 10 and give Forza 3 a 9 out of 10.

Slightly unrelated is PGR4 worth getting? Does it hold up?

tumblr_m4jduiZWXM1rwsy4to1_250.gif

G Rom

Dirt 2 ? Is this a joke ? Hey guys, Mario Kart Wii has power-ups, it shits on all other racing games !
Seriously, racing genre has a wide range of games but just because two games both have four-wheel vehicles doesn't mean you can compare them directly...
It's as bad as the Xbox days when any racing games coming out was dubbed GT-killer...

BTW, the Blur DF interview had some bits about PGR4. I was stunned to learn that Bizarre barely used the Xbox 360 CPU (although, considering how early in the gen it was released, it shouldn't be that surprising).

But even though we had a competent rendering engine from PGR4, we couldn't have used it for Blur. This was because it was single-threaded renderer which was written for 360, porting it to PS3 would have been very difficult, and anyway it was pretty much at its limits with eight cars and no other dynamic objects on track.
This wouldn't be good enough for Blur, so we took everything we learned from the PGR engine and also our experience on The Club and started from scratch on a new rendering engine which would take full advantage of the 360 and PS3s multi-core architecture.
This new engine, which we've dubbed "Horizon", is what we're using on Blur. So, whereas on PGR4 we would generally spend 15+ms rendering on one CPU, with Horizon we now spend more like 5-8ms doing rendering across all cores/SPUs simultaneously, and we're rendering a lot more stuff than we ever did in PGR.

IIRC, PGR3 was close to being 60 fps but launch rush prevented that. Bizarre really were wizards.

amar212

I would instantly pay 100 euros for PGR 3&4 with 60 fps, enhanced FF effects and 900 degree support in additional physics mode.

Hell, I would pay 100 euros for 60 fps combo only.

BTW New thread title sucks big time and it favors another series which is plain biased.

Truespeed

I got a 360 afew days ago and got Forza 3 Ultimate as Forza 4 was double the price here. I have had a PS3 since MGS4 came out in 2008 and have GT5. Let me just say the king is dead, there is a new king in the house. There graphics of Forza 3 are slightly lower and the online is smaller, but the game is way better in everything else for me. It's what GT5 should of being. I would rate GT5 a 4 out of 10 and give Forza 3 a 9 out of 10.

Slightly unrelated is PGR4 worth getting? Does it hold up?

Interesting and detailed analysis. I hear Destructoid has an opening.

I would instantly pay 100 euros for PGR 3&4 with 60 fps, enhanced FF effects and 900 degree support in additional physics mode.

BTW New thread title sucks big time and it favors another series which is plain biased.

nextbox port and upscale to 1080p with 4xAA and I'll buy a Nextbox for it if they add multiplayer.

That looks just as good as the GIF. I actually prefer afternoon though, SPA is incredible looking.

Give me PGR2's physics and then we'll talk. Throw in some tracks and I'll double the price.

mujun

The bigger joke is that even after all those games, Forza can't match GT5's graphics.

How many years did GT fans have nothing but screenshots of pretty graphics to keep them going whilst Forza fans were actually playing a game.

Not to mention that Forza 4 looks damned good even though it doesn't look as good as GT5.

undu

That looks just as good as the GIF. I actually prefer afternoon though, SPA is incredible looking.

Give me PGR2's physics and then we'll talk. Throw in some tracks and I'll double the price.

Can I ask for community-driven content like valve games while we're at it?

Changed my mind about preferring GT's force feedback, don't know if it has been patched or what but there's very little effects coming through. The oscillation appears to have been lessened though.

Did you miss the fact that we were obviously talking about this gen?

You said nothing about gens. You said this "How many years did GT fans have nothing but screenshots of pretty graphics to keep them going whilst Forza fans were actually playing a game."

Also, Prologue is from this gen.

Theonik

well if people love 4 enough for it to be the best racing game ever to them you'd think they'd check the previous games in the series they so passionately love
Given PGR2 was a last gen game and the fact people tend to view racing games as iterative games I don't think making that assumption is reasonable especially considering how many more people jumped on the Xbox brand with the 360.

how about a thread HD-DVD vs Blu-ray ?
You laugh at this but before the end of the war and shortly after it HD-Media threads would devolve into that. There was one in particular I remember from someone's tag but I can't find it. :(

Hoplatee

What we need is a Discworld 1 VS Discworld 2 showdown thread.

Those games were perfect with flaws in each. The topic probably would get 4 posts.

Lets do this.

Xanadu

Banned
Given PGR2 was a last gen game and the fact people tend to view racing games as iterative games I don't think making that assumption is reasonable especially considering how many more people jumped on the Xbox brand with the 360.
i guess, its the same story with forza, the first being the best game which 90% of current forza players have never even played before

well if people love 4 enough for it to be the best racing game ever to them you'd think they'd check the previous games in the series they so passionately love

Preferences, man. I don't think it's fair to say that other people should share your opinion. I have and have played all MSR/PGR titles and even if I enjoyed them all, I prefer PGR 4. Sure, the city selection was really good in PGR 2, but I just prefer 4. There's always the nostalgia factor when it comes to these games. PGR 2 hasn't aged that well, I'm afraid. But hey, that's just my opinion.

And, by the way, loving PGR 4 doesn't mean that you think it's the best or definitive racing game or that you don't enjoy other racing games.

I've been playing and enjoying both games immensely over my holidays.

That said, single player in Forza 4 has become such a chore since I passed level 50. Yet GT5's seasonal events are still heaps of fun despite each race being 5-7 laps long compared to 2-3 laps in Forza.

It's weird... I mean, all you get is an assortment of useless horns and racing helmets and a car you probably already have, but at least it's better than a fucking tick on the sea of tiny rectangles that is FM4's event list. They really need to sort out the rewards system in Forza 5.

But GT5 isn't perfect either. The engine sounds are really starting to bother me. The DLC so far has been pathetic and it looks like they aren't planning any more of it.

Think I might go pick up PGR4 while I'm in a racing mood.

Niks

Cant believe this thread is from 2009... seems like it was only yesterday when I was laughing at all the meltdowns...

good times...

This thread has to comeback for the inevitable FM5 vs GT6.

Xanadu

Banned
Preferences, man. I don't think it's fair to say that other people should share your opinion. I have and have played all MSR/PGR titles and even if I enjoyed them all, I prefer PGR 4. Sure, the city selection was really good in PGR 2, but I just prefer 4. There's always the nostalgia factor when it comes to these games. PGR 2 hasn't aged that well, I'm afraid. But hey, that's just my opinion.

And, by the way, loving PGR 4 doesn't mean that you think it's the best or definitive racing game or that you don't enjoy other racing games.

idk it seems like nearly every week someone will bring up pgr4 on the forza thread and everyone turns into OMFG BEST GAME EVER ITS PGR4 THREAD NOW without anyone even mentioning any of the other games, a sad state of affairs!

Cant believe this thread is from 2009... seems like it was only yesterday when I was laughing at all the meltdowns...

good times...

This thread has to comeback for the inevitable FM5 vs GT6.

its easily my fav thread ever

idk it seems like nearly every week someone will bring up pgr4 on the forza thread and everyone turns into OMFG BEST GAME EVER ITS PGR4 THREAD NOW without anyone even mentioning any of the other games, a sad state of affairs!

To me, it just seems that people really love BC and that game and that they think it was massively underappreciated, which sales-wise it most definitely was. I can see why people are enthusiastic when talking about the game. PGR 4 is one of the best arcade racing games this generation, but comparing it to GT or Forza, or even PC hardcore sims, is obviously silly.

iceatcs

The bigger joke is that even after all those games, Forza can't match GT5's graphics.

Yep. It's really shame. Turn10 have about 300+ people work for them (lot of outsources).
Polyphony Digital only have less than 150 people on it. Slow but still fucking wizard!

turn10 did rather well with visuals in 4 to the point where I think it's really good, but polyphony(spelling?) are still magical wizards with shaders.

Yep. It's really shame. Turn10 have about 300+ people working on it (lot of outsources).
Polyphony Digital only have less than 150 people on it. Slow but still fucking wizard!

That is the saddest joke. PD do not allocate the manpower and resources they should on Sony's flagship racing game. The spend all that time and resources on graphics for a limited number of cars above all else. If they had the same sized team as Turn 10 plus outsourcing to create a complete game with a full stock of premium cars, proper crash damage, UI, backgrounds, extra tracks etc., if they actually bothered to hire a community manager to get feedback, it would be the game of the forever instead of the deeply flawed game it's become.

rvy

Banned
http://h3.abload.de/img/forza15kfob.jpg[img]
Yes, that is supposed to be tarmac on the right.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/t58Z3.jpg[img]

Dat consistency. Gimme a break.[/QUOTE]

I'll give you two breaks, if you don't think Forza 4 is far more consistent visually than GT5, I can't help you. Schedule an appointment with an ophthalmologist.

Waaghals

And lighting, which is something that they were even able to nail in the PSone days.

THIS!

It the only real problem with Forza, the cars and environment is just lit in a very strange way.
The models are detailed enough and all that, the whole scene just doesn't look realistic. This really bothers me, because I'm convinced that F4 would be mind blowing if they just nailed the lighting. Polyphony always were experts at this; GT4 looks pretty convincing, even though it of course falls apart upon closer inspection.

I do agree that GT5 looks very uneven, lots of things like rain, shadows and the like just doesn't look as good while you are actually playing as the game.

Atleast not anywhere as good as the gifs and trailers led us to believe. Still the best looking of th bunch.

iceatcs

That is the saddest joke. PD do not allocate the manpower and resources they should on Sony's flagship racing game. The spend all that time and resources on graphics for a limited number of cars above all else. If they had the same sized team as Turn 10 plus outsourcing to create a complete game with a full stock of premium cars, proper crash damage, UI, backgrounds, extra tracks etc., if they actually bothered to hire a community manager to get feedback, it would be the game of the forever instead of the deeply flawed game it's become.

Well I still think GT5 is matchable to FM4. Shame that you thought otherwise.

Top Bottom