• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Spongebob

Banned
the lighting always seems off in forza games, 4 is the best so far but should the exhaust under the body be illuminated like that? and why is the road so insanely shiny
pict-1219.jpg
Wow, Drive Club looks significantly better than the two.

FordGTGuy

Banned
that's what makes this thread so fun to follow. Ultimately every singe racing game looks pretty much the same when you're actually playing it, and then everyone uses fancy camera mode shots to try to prove a point. (project cars is no exception either)

As someone who has played a ton of racing games I can easily say with confidence you're completely wrong.

Xanadu

Banned
that's what makes this thread so fun to follow. Ultimately every singe racing game looks pretty much the same when you're actually playing it, and then everyone uses fancy camera mode shots to try to prove a point. (project cars is no exception either)

project cars looks amazing in gameplay, the console racers dont

dc89

I think this is the first thread I subbed to on GAF. Glad to see it back up and running. Many hours of enjoyment can be found by simply reading this thread.

FuturusX

I think this is the first thread I subbed to on GAF. Glad to see it back up and running. Many hours of enjoyment can be found by simply reading this thread.

I love it. The tears...let them flow. Let them pour all over me.

Stunt Car racer and Geoff Grammond Grand Prix series are the true lords of sim racing anyway....

Because GT5 doesn't switch models for race photo mode. Only for Photo Travel.

The model you see there is the model you see while you're playing. Forza switches to a higher detailed model.

So have we finally concoluded that both games have their strenghts and weeknesses and what looks better mostly comes down to personally preference or are fanboys still arguing about this?
I personally perfer Forza 4, but that's because the game is more fun to play. I could care less what game is the better sim or has the better graphics. I still enjoy both games but I've played hundreds of hours of Forza this gen and about 30 of GT5.

Xanadu

Banned
Because GT5 doesn't switch models for race photo mode. Only for Photo Travel.

The model you see there is the model you see while you're playing. Forza switches to a higher detailed model.

yes but still i've taken close detail shots on track with cars like the ferrari enzo and the detail was amazing, the r34 almost looks like a standard model

the fanatec wheels are great

Fanatec makes Xbox compatible high end ones. I think there are adapters to use USB wheels but I can't vouch for their quality.

The best part about Fanatec wheels is that they're compatible across both consoles & pc. In hindsight I wish I made this investment instead.

I've never participated in this thread because I could never find the words to convey how I perceive these two franchises.

Suddenly, I realized that I can do it through the power of the photograph:

Gran Turismo and Polyphony Digital:
iVCmXK5uUJ2p7.jpg

Forza Motorsport and Turn10
ibpkmfD8mXCWY3.jpg

lol. This is why this thread is the greatest

One big problem forza has had since the very beginning is no good self shadowing, I can understand with forza 1 and 2 but the later games have rather bad self shadows, such as the exhaust or engine in a cover or behind a grill looking really bright instead of in darkness. Also on some cars a wing on the back does not produce a shadow at all, or you can knock it off and the shadow remains.

If forza can fix that then it's a big step forward.

Reiko

Banned
One big problem forza has had since the very beginning is no good self shadowing, I can understand with forza 1 and 2 but the later games have rather bad self shadows, such as the exhaust or engine in a cover or behind a grill looking really bright instead of in darkness.

If forza can fix that then it's a big step forward.

With all the power under the hood for Durango (Even at current rumored specs), they have no excuse this time.

"Most" as in 5 to 10 minutes? The game runs on a accelerated clock.

Horizon colour tones also change depending on area of the map which is interesting, since half the map is red rock the orange hangs around and out stays it's welcome to me, but I still love the game for what it is.

One thing horizon lacks is the option to toggle the headlights manually, but they also need to fix the glare because it looks really bad like someone made a white blob in paint shop, applied heavy blur to it and exported the alpha layer.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Nope.

Forza uses multiple LoDs based on different circumstances.

The photomode LoD is the same LoD as you get in the garage and the same as a single car on track LoD. You can actually drive around in the "photomode" model.

The lower LoD (where the interior is blacked out and it's lower poly) is only seen in races with multiple cars.

The lowest LoD is for A.I cars.

Nope.

Forza uses multiple LoDs based on different circumstances.

The photomode LoD is the same LoD as you get in the garage and the same as a single car on track LoD. You can actually drive around in the "photomode" model.

The lower LoD (where the interior is blacked out and it's lower poly) is only seen in races with multiple cars.

The lowest LoD is for A.I cars.

"Nope"? Nothing you said contradicts what I said. Forza does switch to a higher detailed model when you take a photo. GT5 does not.

this is a forza 2 shot and all models in forza 2 are the same low lod

I wanted a F4 one obviously lol

Top Bottom