• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Higher LOD GT5 version for comparison:

ahrweilergate_21dkba.jpg

ahrweilergate_4plj8e.jpg

ahrweilergate8xk7s.jpg

ahrweilergate_36zjx0.jpg

FordGTGuy

Banned
Higher LOD GT5 version for comparison:

That model looks amazing except for the tires, brake caliper and rotor.

You're exaggerating quite a bit. Car still looks freaking good. Just look at the GTR sign.

PD could easily upgrade just the wheels to match the rest though, maybe we should annoy Kaz on twitter about it.

You might want to bug him about the calipers and rotors too...

Was this model in GT5 from the start?

i didnt realise there was such a varying quality on premium models, compare this to the f40 model which looks amazing all around

You're exaggerating quite a bit. Car still looks freaking good. Just look at the GTR sign.

PD could easily upgrade just the wheels to match the rest though, maybe we should annoy Kaz on twitter about it.

That model looks amazing except for the tires, brake caliper and rotor.

You might want to bug him about the calipers and rotors too...

Was this model in GT5 from the start?
Well, I meant the whole thing.

IIRC that car was in Prologue so yeah.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I really wish Polyphony didn't go this route with GT5, I would have rather they went for equal quality across the board even if it wasn't as high as the premium stuff.

Using this track was still shameful. It's the GT4 track assets with better lighting.

How is it shameful it's in the game isn't it?

That only makes it worse when you think about it.

The sad part is that it's a really pretty track that they should've remade for GT5.

I would've been completely fine with them outsourcing any content they straight ported from GT4.

I really wish Polyphony didn't go this route with GT5, I would have rather they went for equal quality across the board even if it wasn't as high as the premium stuff.

The sad part is that it's a really pretty track that they should've remade for GT5.

I would've been completely fine with them outsourcing any content they straight ported from GT4.

Everything high quality is obviously the best possible outcome.

However having it like that is better than not having it, which was the only other option.

Reiko

Banned

I knew exactly what it was the moment I raced on the track:( And that is one of my favorite tracks. Just fucking lazy from PD.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Everything high quality is obviously the best possible outcome.

However having it like that is better than not having it, which was the only other option.

94b8c5ea0e1dd6.jpg

You really consider that to be the best possible outcome?

You're really in denial if you consider those to be only options...

They could've hired more people into Polyphony to get more done or straight outsourced any content they wanted to keep from GT4.

That's not really a good argument. I rather them only put quality maps and cars in the game instead of throwing ports in there so they can say they have "more cars and tracks" than their competitors. I'm not going to defend that model because I don't want to see it in GT6.

That's not really a good argument. I rather them only put quality maps and cars in the game instead of throwing ports in there so they can say they have "more cars and tracks" than their competitors. I'm not going to defend that model because I don't want to see it in GT6.

How about, so they can say they have more tracks for us to race in?

Not everyone buys GT5 just for the photomode you know. GTs fantasy tracks are amazing to drive.

FordGTGuy

Banned

I'm fine with that too in fact I prefer that.

I'm just saying if they knew they were going to go down this path the least they could've done is outsource the ported content...

Not everyone buys GT5 just for the photomode you know. GTs fantasy tracks are amazing to drive.

You know what would be better? If they remade the GTs fantasy tracks to at least look good in a HD environment.

If they ported tracks from Forza 1 into Forza 4 I would be equally as pissed and wouldn't want them.

You really consider that to be the best possible outcome?

You're really in denial if you consider those to be only options...

They could've hired more people into Polyphony to get more done or straight outsourced any content they wanted to keep from GT4.

They also could have delayed the game to 2014.

Did you forget their marketing for this game? They couldn't shut up about how they had the most cars and tracks than any other racing game this gen. I really don't understand how anyone can defend ports like this because that to me shows people want more of it. I don't. I don't want this to be in GT6 so I'm going to give PD a lot of heat about it.

They also could have delayed the game to 2014.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Xanadu

Banned
If they ported tracks from Forza 1 into Forza 4 I would be equally as pissed and wouldn't want them.

forza does this with all car models that have been in the game since the first and second games though, they range from looking acceptable to downright shit, the f40, impreza 22b and mclaren f1 gt being the worst offenders

FordGTGuy

Banned
forza does this with all car models that have been in the game since the first and second games though, they range from looking acceptable to downright shit, the f40, impreza 22b and mclaren f1 gt being the worst offenders

You do realize that it's been confirmed by Turn 10 and Badned that the models are recreated for every game right?

The reason the models share the same imperfections is because they are built around the same source material.

Some of the cars are even unique versions that only Turn 10 have permission to use such as the Enzo which is a mix between the final Enzo and the prototype.

Did you forget their marketing for this game? They couldn't shut up about how they had the most cars and tracks than any other racing game this gen.

I don't remember them mentioning other games in their marketing, at least not with Kaz. If anything I remember Kaz being irritated with having to comment on other racers since he'd made it clear that he doesn't care what other games are doing. As far as the track and car count goes, they've always made a point to hype those numbers going all the way back to GT1. It's been something that they're proud of. Not because it's more than other games, but because you'll probably be able to find your car or at least a car you've always wanted to drive in their selection.

And?

You know how big Turn 10 is? They still outsource...

Outsource is a two edged sword, you can tell some cars Forza were for example, and not for good reasons.

Not to mention that as a Japanese, and an extremely closed studio it wouldn't be as easy for them to outsource. So no, that would be a very unlikely option.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
~ Shigeru Miyamoto
Good thing the game turned out really good.

Did you forget their marketing for this game? They couldn't shut up about how they had the most cars and tracks than any other racing game this gen. I really don't understand how anyone can defend ports like this because that to me shows people want more of it. I don't. I don't want this to be in GT6 so I'm going to give PD a lot of heat about it.

Now you're just making shit up.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Outsource is a two edged sword, you can tell some cars Forza were for example, and not for good reasons.

Not to mention that as a Japanese, and an extremely closed studio it wouldn't be as easy for them to outsource. So no, that would be a very unlikely option.

When did I ever try to say their aren't downsides to outsourcing?

Of course there are down sides but the upside is that Forza can have a lot of high quality cars that share the same level of quality.

Not even everything Turn 10 does is outsourced look at the sound recordings they do for each car..

Good thing the game turned out really good.

Maybe for you but thanks for trying to act like you speak for everyone.

When GT5 originally launched it was a joke, it's clearly much better now.

Mobius 1

The Impreza 22B is the most atrocious, heinous crime ever committed by a car modeler. And it's been that way since Forza 3. Maybe 2.

Xanadu

Banned
You do realize that it's been confirmed by Turn 10 and Badned that the models are recreated for every game right?

The reason the models share the same imperfections is because they are built around the same source material.

Some of the cars are even unique versions that only Turn 10 have permission to use such as the Enzo which is a mix between the final Enzo and the prototype.
sounds like bs to me due to the fact the a86 still has that black glitch on top of the right side door. and they should scrap the source material because its really really bad. they really need to re-do all those old models from scratch as they ruin some of the best cars ever like the f40

When did I ever try to say their aren't downsides to outsourcing?

Of course there are down sides but the upside is that Forza can have a lot of high quality cars that share the same level of quality.

Not even everything Turn 10 does is outsourced look at the sound recordings they do for each car..
Debatable.

Maybe for you but thanks for trying to act like you speak for everyone.

When GT5 originally launched it was a joke, it's clearly much better now.
Close to 10 million sold, online mode is still packed. No, I don't think it's just me.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Debatable.

Compared to GT5 not even close to debatable. One of my favorite things to do in racing games is to pick a random car and track and just enjoy driving and looking at the cars. I can tell you from personal experience that pretty much all the models and textures on the cars in Forza are pretty equal in quality.

Close to 10 million sold, online mode is still packed. No, I don't think it's just me.

Just because people play it and bought it doesn't mean they all think it turned out the best it could have or that it launched in really good condition.

In fact I've heard many people quite pissed about the condition of the game when it launched.

sounds like bs to me due to the fact the a86 still has that black glitch on top of the right side door. and they should scrap the source material because its really really bad. they really need to re-do all those old models from scratch as they ruin some of the best cars ever like the f40

So you're saying you know better than Turn 10 and BADNED and that they are liars?

FordGTGuy

Banned
i do think forza 4 is more consistent quality than gt5, but gt5s highs are much higher than forzas, nothing beats gt5s nurb. NOTHING

They might have nice highs but their lows make me want to puke. Their Nurburg is great I wish I could say the same about the rest of the game.

You guys do realize that it is alright to criticize Polyphony about GT5 right?

They might have nice highs but their lows make me want to puke. Their Nurburg is great I wish I could say the same about the rest of the game.

You guys do realize that it is alright to criticize Polyphony about GT5 right?

And no one is saying otherwise. However, when you say things like this

I can tell you from personal experience that pretty much all the models and textures on the cars in Forza are pretty equal in quality

just don't be surprised if people don't take your seriously.

I don't remember them mentioning other games in their marketing, at least not with Kaz. If anything I remember Kaz being irritated with having to comment on other racers since he'd made it clear that he doesn't care what other games are doing. As far as the track and car count goes, they've always made a point to hype those numbers going all the way back to GT1. It's been something that they're proud of. Not because it's more than other games, but because you'll probably be able to find your car or at least a car you've always wanted to drive in their selection.

That's true though it is more annoying in GT5 when so many cars are embarrassing ports yet there was little to no mention of this pre-launch.

If anything I remember Kaz being irritated with having to comment on other racers since he'd made it clear that he doesn't care what other games are doing.

You see, that's the problem I have with him. There is no doubt that Forza is a quality racer and does many things better than GT and vice versa. GT has never had any true competition on consoles. Now they do. Take advantage of the beauty of competition. Learn from and try to top each other. Acting as if the racing genre has been improved by one developer constantly is silly.

Look at Far Cry 3. Fantastic game. Yet, they did take the tower mechanic from Assassin's Creed and the area control mechanic from Just Cause, which are huge components from the game. Yet no one says FC3 copied AC or JC. With the GT5 UI and ports, he didn't have to tell me he was ignoring competition. You can learn from them and not being accused of copying. It's the nature of every business and there's nothing wrong with that. GT6 with the Forza menus and even Forza's rival and clans sound fantastic and vise versa with Forza and GT's lighting and variety of races.

I enjoyed GT5 and it's a fantastic game. I just feel GT6 can be a much better product if they look at what another well respected similar racing game does and learn from that.

Also, @Metalmurphy. I don't want to see ports in GT6 so I'm not going to defend it. You think otherwise. Not much else to say about that.

There is nothing like the "true GT5", both the good pictures and bad pics are representatives of the games.

Show me pictures of Forza 3 and 4 where it represents those. I like GT more but there's no doubt that T10 handles port much better.

That's true though it is more annoying in GT5 when so many cars are embarrassing ports yet there was little to no mention of this pre-launch.

They even released a trailer for the standard cars at TGS 2010 and detailed how their damage model and customization models would work.

You see, that's the problem I have with him. There is no doubt that Forza is a quality racer and does many things better than GT and vice versa. GT has never had any true competition on consoles. Now they do. Take advantage of the beauty of competition. Learn from and try to top each other. Acting as if the racing genre has been improved by one developer constantly is silly.

Here's the thing, Kaz doesn't play other racers but people in the studio do. There's even some photo of the 360 version of a NFS game in their office. But he's said that he has four passions in his life, wine, developing GT, reading and driving/racing cars. That's basically all he does going by his interviews. If he's not working on GT then he's doing one of those other things. So it's not so much that he doesn't care about other racing games as much as it's about him wanting to get away from games when he's not developing GT. And I think the series is better for it. There's an old quote from him where he details how his experience racing on the Nurburgring allowed him to go back to the studio and tell the team to tweak aspects like tree positions or a bump in the road. I'd honestly prefer him to keep doing that instead of spending time playing other games. Nothing is going to improve GT like someone who has real experience driving and racing cars. The feel of the cars in GT5 and the quality of a track like the Ring are clear demonstrations of that.

With all that said, i'm sure he listens to his team members if they suggest things they've seen in racers. It's just not something he's interested in doing personally for reasons I mentioned above. But I do think the main inspirations for GT right now come from Kaz's racing experience and GT Academy.

Show me pictures of Forza 3 and 4 where it represents those. I like GT more but there's no doubt that T10 handles port much better.

What you just said has no relevance to what my response was, you said "The True GT5" and proceeded to show pictures of bad ports. the way you said it made it seem like the good looking GT5 pics were somehow not the "True GT5".

p3tran

Banned
I find it hard to believe that gt vs forza threads still have fuel.

I find even harder to comprehend how one that finds acceptable the SHITTY ps2 cars and SHITTY ps2 tracks in gt5,
can have so much trouble with forza 4 models... It is really mind-bending

Furthermore, and other than the graphics, I would like to remind to everyone that forza series, even from its very first appearance on the original xbox, was a well thought out and solid game, with mechanics that worked excellently both offline but online too. Gt on the other hand..... Well, yeah...

Of course polyphony will make another gt on ps3, because anybody in the future that listens all this "polyphony are gods" rumor, and fires up gt5 will laugh at inconsistencies. Gt6, It has to be done for legacy reasons for sure.

Dead Man

I find it hard to believe that gt vs forza threads still have fuel.

I find even harder to comprehend how one that finds acceptable the SHITTY ps2 cars and SHITTY ps2 tracks in gt5,
can have so much trouble with forza 4 models... It is really mind-bending

Furthermore, and other than the graphics, I would like to remind to everyone that forza series, even from its very first appearance on the original xbox, was a well thought out and solid game, with mechanics that worked excellently both offline but online too. Gt on the other hand..... Well, yeah...

Of course polyphony will make another gt on ps3, because anybody in the future that listens all this "polyphony are gods" rumor, and fires up gt5 will laugh at inconsistencies. Gt6, It has to be done for legacy reasons for sure.

Your first two points are fine, but then you veer off into bizaro land. Here's a tip. People like you are why these threads keep going.

p3tran

Banned
Well, its my formed opinion as one guy who likes racing games.

I really believe pd/kaz wants to have another game on ps3, basically without using previous console assets.
Now if along with that change, more changes happen, more power to kaz, more power to me and to you and to everybody that will enjoy them.

amar212

I go to sleep for 7 hours and this thread has already grown 100 posts. Congratulations.

I can't even fathom what will happen in the week three weeks from now. The madness will reach unthinkable levels.

It will be glorious, nobody will get out disappointed. Nobody.

Lets not get crazy now angst :p

Maybe it'll have a better/more realistic lighting/art style, but that'll be it.

If Forza Durango and GT6 on the PS3 happens how will GT fans cope? Will this thread be just about list wars?

They'll be too busy playing the best sim racer on consoles, even if not the best looking one.

I don't think they'll be too bothered about a next gen racer looking better than an old gen racer.

Top Bottom