• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

PCars is the only Sim I've played that is finally putting out some good looking environments

Have you not raced on GT5 versions of Spa, Nordschleife, or special stage route x? They are stunning. Better than anything I've seen on PCars (Thanks mostly to PD's godly lighting engine)

shandy706

Have you not raced on GT5 versions of Spa, Nordschleife, or special stage route x? They are stunning. Better than anything I've seen on PCars (Thanks mostly to PD's godly lighting engine)

Read my previous post.

I was saying Pcars environments are the only PC sim I've played to finally catch up to Forza/GT. I play sims across all consoles and my PC.

Wools

Neo Member
I've played all the good racers across 2 decades of consoles and PC's and can confidently say...

Forza 4 & Gran Turismo 5 are both brilliant. GT5 has the nicest feel to the driving and feels the most exhaustive in content but lacks some polish and focus. Forza 4 has wonderful online options and is the most well rounded but lacks detail and feels the most lacking in content.

Both do different things and both can be enjoyed on their own terms. Both win!

And just for fun, here's a few screenshots of GT5 I've taken, lost my Forza 4 ones I'm afraid.

Suzuka Circuit_2 by M Woolgar, on Flickr

London by M Woolgar, on Flickr

Bern - Marktgasse by M Woolgar, on Flickr

shandy706

I love this shot from the F4 home-space.

6246148115_af6e9db109_o.jpg

The racers on the upcoming consoles are going to be incredible looking.

Niks

I love this thread.

Personally, I expect all next gen racers to have night-day transitions in ALL their tracks.

I'm not too tech savvy, but what illumination technique did PD used on their night day tracks? (Global illumination?) I have always wondered why only a few gt5 tracks had night/day.. was it memory limitations? Art limitations? Resources? Time?

Watching the guerilla talk about illumination for shadowfall, it seems creating levels/tracks with changes to illumination will be much easier for next gen consoles. Objects will no longer need to have baked in effects.

eso76

I love this shot from the F4 home-space.

The racers on the upcoming consoles are going to be incredible looking.

yep, if T10 can approach this kind of IBL ingame, use high lod models for all cars and achieve a decent IQ (Forza Horizon's approach in 1080p would be great, i don't think i need much more) Fm5 will look incredible.
And that's the least we can expect, even with the worst rumored specs, i think.

I've never played pCARS, so what are the issues with the Ring? Is it a visual problem or is the track design off?

Visual queues are all wrong, track width is wrong in many places, more than once I had to make sure where I actually was cause I'd lost my bearings. More bumpy than it should be (although this migtht be an issue with the actual cars and not the track). Some tree lines actually look worst than the 2D GT5 ones. Missing lots of ground writing.

But again, this is all WIP so saying it's worst than X isn't fair. I remember some dev in the forums recognizing that the widths were wrong for example and they'll likely fix it.

Depends on lighting position and the track.

Forza 4 lighting is almost there. Both achieve photorealism easily.
Nopenopenope.gif

Those photo location shots use an entirely different lighting system. On-track Forza always looks like the comparison shots that Farrow posted.

Great now you need to get some GT5 pics of the same cars in the same positions for a comparison.

Both games may look bad or good depending on how the photo is taken but during gameplay its clear to me that GT5's lighting engine is superior.

WTF... NO! Anyone playing GT5 without at least a DFGT is committing a tragedy!

GT5 + Ferrari F10 + The Ring + Wheel = ZEN!

Edit:
DAT LFA GT5 SHOT! WHOA!

Edit 2:
This is still my favorite GT5 Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs

DFGT is great indeed. Love it.

Also that youtube video justifies my conclusion that GT5 has the best lighting engine. Simply amazing.

With each edit, Reiko digs a deeper hole. None of those shots look right. Each GT5 shot could be mistaken for a photograph at first glance, but only the 458 photo location one from Forza has a similar effect, and even that isn't as good frankly.

Reiko

Banned
With each edit, Reiko digs a deeper hole. None of those shots look right. Each GT5 shot could be mistaken for a photograph at first glance, but only the 458 photo location one from Forza has a similar effect, and even that isn't as good frankly.

I digged a deeper hole? First we go from Forza 4 doesn't have reflections on the windshields to photorealism.

And speaking of photorealism, I love these shots.

sv13e800.jpg

6408411719_fd07930966_b.jpg

eso76

Just cements the fact that GT5's lighting engine is superior. Also there seems to be no windshield reflections on the Forza pics. Why?

Bitch please :p

(Actually, the LFA pic...my God, that's a night and day difference.
The fairlady and the F458 are a lot closer)

But i think Fm4 can produce much better results than those pics suggest

forza1267benu.jpg

forza88kjfm8.jpg

forza122uqc0k.jpg

forza124alctx.jpg

* SAME lighting and model as ingame
(heh, i was playing time attack rivals mode so SAME car model as ingame :p)

I digged a deeper hole? First we go from Forza 4 doesn't have reflections on the windshields to photorealism.

And speaking of photorealism, I love these shots.

sv13e800.jpg

6408411719_fd07930966_b.jpg

I never said Forza 4 never had windshield reflections I was asking why those specific pics did not have it.

Did not know this:

Forza switches models in photomode even in track.

eso76

woo, thread full steam ahead !

forza113oki49.jpg

forza121kmiio.jpg

Did not know this:

FM4 still uses full lod models when you're racing alone though :p
And it's worth repeating that full lod FM4 models have more geometry than GT5's ingame models, and closer to photo travel GT5 models.

None of those pics look that realistic. Realistic implies I have difficulty telling the difference between it being a game and real life which is clearly not the case. Neither game can produce realistic shots easily.

This is realistic: (even then you can spot the gameyness if you look closely)
6766079943_c122d90fea_b.jpg

6721980375_7dae32c30d_z.jpg

6721981967_8963384365_z.jpg

Last two are not edited at all which shows not only GT5's good photomode but also the photographers skill.

Not sure about the first.

If people want to tout F4 and GT5 have realistic shots at least make them look realistic.
I look forward to next gen where realism should be much easier to achieve.

sunnz

I really hope the next big jump is the scenery and grass and such, obviously vehicles can be improved quite a lot but some pics, while the cars look stunning, are ruined by the background.

Top Bottom