• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Reiko

Banned
Pretty good
v41EB.jpg

forza6.jpg

6258110798_bbce19de26_o.jpg

abarth7dvfr.jpg

BEDSA.jpg

eso76

Well I think my pics look realistic enough.
Problem with Forza is you can make certain things look realistic but others will stick out like as sore thumb.

My black maserati, for example. Rims kill the picture.
Interiors too bright etc.

Gt5 at dusk hasn't been matched though, and I have a feeling only PD will

This may sound flame-baity, but I can't even see a next-gen Forza matching GT5's photo mode. Unless Turn 10 have a whole new engine, rather than tweaking the old one.

iN07JPc.jpg

hzjnfia.jpg

pEbCl2G.jpg

FStop7

Banned
While GT5's inconsistencies are incredibly frustrating, Forza's is the game that really pisses me off.

Its not to do with the looks (even though I dislike its colour palette) its the tracks themselves. Alot of the real world tracks are extremely bad in accuracy (as someone who has done probably close to 500 laps @ Silverstone in RL) it just total ruins the immersion.

The main problem though is Turn 10's fictional tracks. I can honestly say that I think they are completely incompetent at track design. Every time I raced on one of them, I felt like turning the console off. Turn 10 are the only people that can make Hermann Tilke look like a God when it comes to track design.

They really need a complete overhaul with their tracks. Get rid off the lot and start with a clean slate. Untill they do that, Forza will always be GT's unlovable sibling.

I can't agree more. Amalfi Coast was pretty but terrible for racing. Sedona and the "snake" tracks were crimes against humanity. Camino Viejo is the only fictional track from that franchise that I like.

All I know is that I expect both next gen installments to blow my mind entirely.

GT5 shocks me to this day what they've been able to accomplish on current gen, but they have an insane attention to detail at Polyphony.

Forza looks somewhat cartoony right now, but with next-gen lighting and the removal of jaggies, I expect it to be a true stunner.

I think this is going to be one of those times where everybody wins.

Piggus

I'll take Forza seriously when the wheel support doesn't suck. My Fanatec GT3 RS works beautifully on PS3 and PC, but doesn't even work on 360. The only good wheels that work on 360 are the more expensive Fanatec GT2 wheel (literally the same as the GT3 RS but much more expensive and with Xbox support), the Fanatec CSR (which isn't nearly as good as the GT3 RS for driving road cars) and the REALLY expensive CSR Elite and ClubSport wheels.

No Logitech support, no T500RS support, and no support for most Fanatec wheels = Forza loses every time.

GT5 after all the updates has better physics as well, but the wheel support is the biggest deal to me.

This might sound like a childish complaint, but the lack of jumps in Forza 4 always bothered me.

There isn't a single track where you can get some good air. Without using other cars as ramps online.

OZ7sMcn.jpg

I'll take Forza seriously when the wheel support doesn't suck. My Fanatec GT3 RS works beautifully on PS3 and PC, but doesn't even work on 360. The only good wheels that work on 360 are the more expensive Fanatec GT2 wheel (literally the same as the GT3 RS but much more expensive and with Xbox support), the Fanatec CSR (which isn't nearly as good as the GT3 RS for driving road cars) and the REALLY expensive CSR Elite and ClubSport wheels.

No Logitech support, no T500RS support, and no support for most Fanatec wheels = Forza loses every time.

GT5 after all the updates has better physics as well, but the wheel support is the biggest deal to me.

In which areas do you believe GT trumps Forza's physics?

To me the suspension model appears superior, at least visually but apart from that I don't see anything special.

Espada

Both games are absolutely gorgeous and I'm giddy with anticipation for their next gen iterations.

Do you think we'll get Photo Mode-level models and lighting during gameplay?

eso76

This may sound flame-baity, but I can't even see a next-gen Forza matching GT5's photo mode. Unless Turn 10 have a whole new engine, rather than tweaking the old one.

i would think the same if it wasn't for FM4 homespace locations.
In those you can see lighting makes all the difference, and i'm sure it can be somewhat included in the game next gen.

Also, both Forza and PCARS should give up polygonal trees.
They are useless and look like crap.
Yeah, you can mock GT5 cardboard trees all you want, but they're still by far the best looking solution during typical gameplay (and replay :p) situations

Reiko

Banned
i would think the same if it wasn't for FM4 homespace locations.
In those you can see lighting makes all the difference, and i'm sure it can be somewhat included in the game next gen.

Also, both Forza and PCARS should give up polygonal trees.
They are useless and look like crap.
Yeah, you can mock GT5 cardboard trees all you want, but they're still by far the best looking solution during typical gameplay (and replay :p) situations

Think bigger. Moving trees next gen that react to touch.

Espada

Absolutely.

Awesome. I say that because the level of detail in that mode is spectacular and I've daydreamed about entire rosters of cars looking that good while racing. Now the real question is whether either will include motorcycles and better weather in their next gen entries. I know the GT guys have expressed interest in them a while back but I don't know if Turn 10 has ever looked into that as a possibility.

A.R.K

I go to sleep for 7 hours and this thread has already grown 100 posts. Congratulations.

I can't even fathom what will happen in the week three weeks from now. The madness will reach unthinkable levels.

It will be glorious, nobody will get out disappointed. Nobody.

What is this in regard to? GT 6 reveal?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, since this thread is still going and has pretty much evolved in this direction anyway, come the end of E3 we're going to enact a relatively minor change (at least relative to what this thread is now).

Basically this thread will shut down and in its place a Sim Racer Community Thread shall be born, and it will be started in Gaming (and left there for a while longer than normal) so everyone can become aware of it.

Obviously it won't be solely limited to GT and Forza, so Project Cars, and whatever else is deemed an actual Sim Racer can feel free to join the fun, even though I suspect the discussion will be dominated by the first two brands.

Obviously each of these games should still get their own new threads and follow the new threads for new major news rules.

Anyway, I wanted to warn people about a month and a half in advance so you can decide how you want to structure your new thread, who should make the OP, what actually counts as a Sim Racer, and how you want the thread to be when the starting post premise isn't "Let's throw mud at each other."

Eventually the next Forza and Gran Turismo will blur into each other visually.

The American dogs will never be able to compete on the same level.

Is there a way to still get into Project Cars or is there no chance until release now? Still bummed I was day late before they stopped the payment program :/

So, since this thread is still going and has pretty much evolved in this direction anyway, come the end of E3 we're going to enact a relatively minor change (at least relative to what this thread is now).

Basically this thread will shut down and in its place a Sim Racer Community Thread shall be born, and it will be started in Gaming (and left there for a while longer than normal) so everyone can become aware of it.

Obviously it won't be solely limited to GT and Forza, so Project Cars, DriveClub, and whatever else is deemed an actual Sim Racer can feel free to join the fun, even though I suspect the discussion will be dominated by the first two brands.

Obviously each of these games should still get their own new threads and follow the new threads for new major news rules.

Anyway, I wanted to warn people about a month and a half in advance so you can decide how you want to structure your new thread, who should make the OP, what actually counts as a Sim Racer, and how you want the thread to be when the starting post premise isn't "Let's throw mud at each other."

Ha!

:p

Reiko

Banned
The American dogs will never be able to compete on the same level.

Is there a way to still get into Project Cars or is there no chance until release now? Still bummed I was day late before they stopped the payment program :/

That's why Turn 10 outsources to Japan. lol

Top Bottom