• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

THE:MILKMAN

I go to sleep for 7 hours and this thread has already grown 100 posts. Congratulations.

I can't even fathom what will happen in the week three weeks from now. The madness will reach unthinkable levels.

It will be glorious, nobody will get out disappointed. Nobody.

So from around the 17th May we'll be getting the PS3 announcement.

I presume this will mean when Kaz comes on stage at E3, he'll be talking PS4 GT (or at least his future "vision")?

Exiting times.

GT5 would be my dream game if it had real car sounds and torque steer.

Funnily enough I played a bit tonight and this was my experience:

Put disc in, had to wait for updates to download and install.

Thought I might do a run around Nurburgring in Arcade, had to scroll through a long ass list of cars to choose one instead of just picking straight from my Garage.

Spent a few minutes trying to set up the BMG to my playlist off the PS3. Success finally.

Took an Audi R8 on the track, wanted to turn up the brightness but you can't do it from the pause screen. Backed out all the way to GT Home and tried finding it in Options but couldn't. Raced anyway.

Went into A Spec and did the race with German cars. The R8 outclassed everything.

Basically the UI is shit and you have to go through a bunch of screens to do anything. Simple things are a chore. The race set ups are poorly thought out. It's rare that you are racing evenly matched vehicles which is what I think they should be aiming for. The actual driving is great, almost everything else about the game is awful, counter intuitive and frustrating.

Funnily enough I played a bit tonight and this was my experience:

Put disc in, had to wait for updates to download and install.

Thought I might do a run around Nurburgring in Arcade, had to scroll through a long ass list of cars to choose one instead of just picking straight from my Garage.

Spent a few minutes trying to set up the BMG to my playlist off the PS3. Success finally.

Took an Audi R8 on the track, wanted to turn up the brightness but you can't do it from the pause screen. Backed out all the way to GT Home and tried finding it in Options but couldn't. Raced anyway.

Went into A Spec and did the race with German cars. The R8 outclassed everything.

Basically the UI is shit and you have to go through a bunch of screens to do anything. Simple things are a chore. The race set ups are poorly thought out. It's rare that you are racing evenly matched vehicles which is what I think they should be aiming for. The actual driving is great, almost everything else about the game is awful, counter intuitive and frustrating.

Am pretty sure you can.

test_account

XP-39C²
Isnt this possible? Been quite a while since i've played GT5, but i'm pretty sure that favorited cars can be chosen in Arcade at least (maybe not all cars in the garage are favorited though).

yeah you can do it even in-race.

Other than that he is right. UI looks good but it is cumberstone to use and some parts of it are simply god awful slow.

Yeah I agree with that. The UI looks fine but its too slow. Theres also silly things like only favourite cars appear in arcade races. Why not your entire garage and you cannot do one make races in arcade iirc.

Both from Most Wanted and Horizon PR.

Dan Greenawalt on the Forza side right?

eso76

counter intuitive and frustrating.

yeah, even taking pics is a chore.
Too bad because results are incredible, but It's just too frustrating.
Forza does it much better from a UI point of view, although i would have liked more realistic settings for the camera.

just remembered i did see an impressive PCARS gif on neogaf

ibxgpQBxxPab7C.gif

Dibbz

pCars cars, look so wobbly and soft. Had the same problem with Shift. When your using cockpit it feels and looks good but the cars seem to exaggerate everything.

jett

D-Member
I got bored and made some new comparisons for us to fight over (Or end the fighting :/)

rbRajiM.jpg

PR95KYd.jpg

x46WEnc.jpg

I've been wondering, what's the deal with the rear view mirrors appearing disconnected from the rest of the cars? Is this going to be "fixed" next-gen?

Am pretty sure you can.

My mistake. Saw it after I went back to the game. That's a relief!

Isnt this possible? Been quite a while since i've played GT5, but i'm pretty sure that favorited cars can be chosen in Arcade at least (maybe not all cars in the garage are favorited though).

You can choose favourited cars, but I guess you'd have to Favourite all of them? I just wanted to see thumbnails of all my cars in a grid, choose one and race.

I don't think the UI looks nice at all. The GT Mode screen looks horrid; a mishmash of random icons, blocks and little 80's lasers shooting around the screen.

Another thing, I want to paint the car. I have to go to a screen with a list of colours, choose from the paint chips I have, then it doesn't show the car in that colour but some little blob on the right. Then I lose the paint item. Who comes up with this shit? It's why I've been banging on to anyone at Sony about getting a community manager at PD. They seem kind of clueless about simple things.

My mistake. Saw it after I went back to the game. That's a relief!

You can choose favourited cars, but I guess you'd have to Favourite all of them? I just wanted to see thumbnails of all my cars in a grid, choose one and race.

I don't think the UI looks nice at all. The GT Mode screen looks horrid; a mishmash of random icons, blocks and little 80's lasers shooting around the screen.

Another thing, I want to paint the car. I have to go to a screen with a list of colours, choose from the paint chips I have, then it doesn't show the car in that colour but some little blob on the right. Then I lose the paint item. Who comes up with this shit? It's why I've been banging on to anyone at Sony about getting a community manager at PD. They seem kind of clueless about simple things.

The painting system is annoying in the sense that it takes a long time though I quite like the idea of there being rare paint chips.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why do people always argue using the camera modes for the games and tiny gifs rather than using actual direct feed shots of what you actually see while actually racing in the game where you spend the majority of your time?

Why do people always argue using the camera modes for the games and tiny gifs rather than using actual direct feed shots of what you actually see while actually racing in the game where you spend the majority of your time?

Screenshots are hardly representative of what the game looks like on your tv. Th best option is to watch youtube videos in HD.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Screenshots are hardly representative of what the game looks like on your tv. Th best option is to watch youtube videos in HD.

It is literally a single frame of of the 60 that get displayed each second on your TV. How is that not representative?

And youtube with a framerate halved + compression is?

p3tran

Banned
because then there would not really be a "VS" thread.
gt excels in photomode and replay, and so the vs thread is based on that :)

if you try to compare the fun that it is to pickup a stock gti and customize it to your hearts desire, then there would not really be a vs thread

even in strictly technical details, gt5 still tears the screen from time to time, sound is awful in comparison, menus and navigation the same, online features etc etc the same.

(adds fuel) :)

For some reason, direct screen grabs make games look worse than they do on my TV :/ (Same for most games)

I think my TV has some built-in AA or something.

You need an HD capture card or a modded console to take direct-feed screenshots.

Here's a couple of direct-feed shots by wax free vanilla.

granturismo5_4dqb49.png

granturismo5_17zrba9.png

GT doesn't swap models between in-game and replay mode, so I suspect the difference would be even bigger if you compare GT in-game models to Forza's.

Reiko

Banned
You need an HD capture card or a modded console to take direct-feed screenshots.

Here's a couple of direct-feed shots by wax free vanilla.

granturismo5_4dqb49.png

granturismo5_17zrba9.png

GT doesn't swap models between in-game and replay mode, so I suspect the difference would be even bigger if you compare GT in-game models to Forza's.

Depends if you're not playing Time Trial on Forza 4 though.

It doesn't switch models for replays either.

Depends if you're not playing Time Trial on Forza 4 though.

It doesn't switch models for replays either.

I know Time Trail doesn't, but I was sure I read somewhere the game swaps models when you're watching a replay compared to when you're racing. I know Forza 3 does for sure.

I cam across this gif and I was surprised Forza swaps the model depending on the number of cars on track.

wjDodT.gif

vpPbaq.gif

J7d2Ll.gif

Iirc GT5 does not do this especially surprising when there are only 12 cars on the track.

p3tran

Banned
both games are cutting back on what they **could** do, because of stupid hardware limitations.
you think kaz couldnt have the cars sounding 101% like they do in a real track? or he does not know how to make a game not tear a frame when cornering?
you think t10 couldnt have better car models in track? but they have them everywhere else. or they could not program for 8 more a.i. cars?
or crank up that aa shit, spend another 10% of resources in shading etc etc for both

both t10 and pd had to compromise their work in order to run efficiently in the hardware, giving the best of what they could each.
polyphony had the extra difficulty of cell etc, t10 had the whip of microsoft to churn out games.
so both did excellent, and more companies should try to be like those two. well, except for the time it takes pd to get a game out :)

both games are cutting back on what they **could** do, because of stupid hardware limitations.
you think kaz couldnt have the cars sounding 101% like they do in a real track? or he does not know how to make a game not tear a frame when cornering?
you think t10 couldnt have better car models in track? but they have them everywhere else. or they could not program for 8 more a.i. cars?
or crank up that aa shit, spend another 10% of resources in shading etc etc for both

both t10 and pd had to compromise their work in order to run efficiently in the hardware, giving the best of what they could each.
polyphony had the extra difficulty of cell etc, t10 had the whip of microsoft to churn out games.
so both did excellent, and more companies should try to be like those two. well, except for the time it takes pd to get a game out :)

Them not getting this right has nothing to do with Hardware limitations.

They really don't. You have to go to photomode for a model swap. (For normal races)

guess my eyes is deceiving me then.

saladine1

I wonder what kind of limitations the next consoles will pose?

Anyone want to hazard a guess at the worst and best possible scenarios for both games?

One thing I think Forza gets right is the way cars roll when they hit the grass sideways at high speed.

I always wished GT5 did it. It adds to the fear of leaving the track.

22gZqkZ.gif

I have to say that while the competition between Forza and GT healthy, it's really nice to see the progress Turn 10 made. They really pressured Polyphony to deliver a better product. I think we should be happy that these two are around.

One thing I think Forza gets right is the way cars roll when they hit the grass sideways at high speed.

I always wished GT5 did it. It adds to the fear of leaving the track.

22gZqkZ.gif

full rolling is one of forza's strong points right now, was really nice to see when they added it to forza 3 for the first time.

Going onto grass still feels too smooth though, while that gif looks great you really have to be pelting it otherwise you just slide like you are on glass, grass needs to be a little more 'grippy' when the car is sideways.

Top Bottom