• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

iRLri7ZzA04B7.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9s_G1ph_vA
damn! I need to buy this game

Hoo-doo

Banned
GT5 just can't be beat.

Turn 10's lighting engine is simply not even close. It makes everything look like plastic toys.
Both games do look good though, next-gen will be a treat for every racing sim fan regardless of platform.

Mascot

GT5 just can't be beat.

Turn 10's lighting engine is simply not even close. It makes everything look like plastic toys.
Both games do look good though, next-gen will be a treat for every racing sim fan regardless of platform.

Yeah, GT5 looks better in screen caps, but which is the better game?

p3tran

Banned
Got one of those for the Tokyo street circuit?
60 seconds DIY test:
just go to arcade mode, pick that track, pick the zonda, and in the very first turn watch the framerate drop. watch that wired fence on the left side tear away with joy :D

this patch makes it run much better optimized, but still far from perfect.

Also, v2.03 was out like what? 2012??

day 1 I got the game (that was 2010, not 2012) and run it, it run like in the left window, not like in the right

Perkel

Banned
GT5 just can't be beat.

32fp HDR + ton of work on shaders and colours of cars. Each color of car is represented as in real life. Mclaren orange is unique color and Polyphony has some awesome artists that recreate proprieties of color under several lighting conditions.

This is real difference why some of cars in forza do look like made out of plastic. This is also why pCars still has problems with how cars looks even when they use more polys and better iq where assetto corsa nailed it so early in developement.

60 seconds DIY test:
just go to arcade mode, pick that track, pick the zonda, and in the very first turn watch the framerate drop. watch that wired fence on the left side tear away with joy :D

this patch makes it run much better optimized, but still far from perfect.

Also, v2.03 was out like what? 2012??

day 1 I got the game (that was 2010, not 2012) and run it, it run like in the left window, not like in the right

Improvements were constant, didn't' happen just in 2.03.

Biggest one was Spec 2.0, October 2011.

Hey can forza do split screen multiplayer 3d on ONE console. Effectively rendering a scene 4 times.

Didn't think so.

Forza fans have the inferior product. Forza fills in the gaps of GT. They exist only because of GT.

p3tran

Banned
Improvements were constant, didn't' happen just in 2.03.

Biggest one was Spec 2.0, October 2011.

day one it run like the left window and in cases worse.
still even today, do the test drugstore cowboy asks about and tell me if it still needs improving or not.
I dont have fraps installed in my eyes, but its bloody very easy to spot.

test_account

XP-39C²
You can choose favourited cars, but I guess you'd have to Favourite all of them? I just wanted to see thumbnails of all my cars in a grid, choose one and race.
Yeah, maybe you need to manually favorite all of them :) Its been quite a while since i've played GT5, i just remembered that favorited cars would show up in arcade mode. Kinda strange that they havnt added the possibility to view your garage cars in Arcade mode, i'm not sure why they havnt done that yet. I'm not programmer myself, but it doesnt sound like a hard thing to add at least.

I've only played Forza 2 and 3, but if we're talking about the same NY track from those two games, then good riddance.

Forza 2 onwards only uses the short, it's like comparing autumn ring mini to the full course in gt 1 in terms of what is missing from the full track, aka quite a bit.

Not seeing New York was criminal.

Hell I missed New York in GT5.

GT has basically reached a point where it's near impossible for them to bring back all the courses that fans want while also including a good variety of new courses. That's why i've pretty much given up on ever seeing Grindelwald or Red Rock Valley in the series again. :/

Reiko

Banned
GT has basically reached a point where it's near impossible for them to bring back all the courses that fans want while also including a good variety of new courses. That's why i've pretty much given up on ever seeing Grindelwald or Red Rock Valley in the series again. :/

:(

http://www.gtplanet.net/24-new-track-logos-discovered-on-gran-turismo-5-website/

There is still hope.

Speaking of old tracks which GT5 fantasy tracks would you like to see in GT6?

Personally I want Eiger, Cape Ring and Madrid to return. If I had to pick one it would be Eiger for the drift replays.

Perkel

Banned

Honestly as i love some original tracks i think it would be better if they would simply do for each new game new tracks.

Let nostalgia be nostalgia. If they would include only remakes of old tracks we would never see tracks like El Capitain.

Xanadu

Banned
what gt needs is a mode where you can choose what cars each of the ai drive, you can do this in forza with private lobbies but you need gold which is fucking bullshit

Ty4on

I've been wondering, what's the deal with the rear view mirrors appearing disconnected from the rest of the cars? Is this going to be "fixed" next-gen?

No AO.
This is Blender's AO which is ray traced and probably a lot more advanced than what current games do, but even on current consoles AO is great to have. I hope it will be used more in the next gen, I mean look at what it does to a fucking white box on a white plane!

I used enviroment lighting in the first pic because otherwise shadows would be 100% dark.
Nah, I think it will be tame since they are on different consoles. GT on PS4 vs Forza on 720, now that will be a blood bath.
What if GT still looks better :p
Forza 2 was sort of uglier than GT4. The lighting was just, odd... Cars where also horribly low res with polygonal edges on the bonnet clearly visible from roof view.

http://www.gtplanet.net/24-new-track-logos-discovered-on-gran-turismo-5-website/

There is still hope.

Speaking of old tracks which GT5 fantasy tracks would you like to see in GT6?

Personally I want Eiger, Cape Ring and Madrid to return. If I had to pick one it would be Eiger for the drift replays.

I'd expect to see every track that they actually built for GT5 to return in GT6. Others could be dropped, touched up or rebuilt to look more like they belong alongside those other tracks.

Honestly as i love some original tracks i think it would be better if they would simply do for each new game new tracks.

Let nostalgia be nostalgia. If they would include only remakes of old tracks we would never see tracks like El Capitain.

I just think some of the track designs are too good to drop completely. Grindelwald and RRV both have really good designs (plus Grindelwald would look gorgeous with modern visuals). If they make some tracks that just aren't that great, like Seoul, then dropping them isn't too much of a deal. It's just sad to see great track designs go one and done with the series.

they should outsource asset development like Quantic Dream does it, then polish those outsourced assets

Reiko

Banned
No AO.

This is Blender's AO which is ray traced and probably a lot more advanced than what current games do, but even on current consoles AO is great to have. I hope it will be used more in the next gen, I mean look at what it does to a fucking white box on a white plane!

I used enviroment lighting in the first pic because otherwise shadows would be 100% dark.

What if GT still looks better :p
Forza 2 was sort of uglier than GT4. The lighting was just, odd... Cars where also horribly low res with polygonal edges on the bonnet clearly visible from roof view.

Also remember Forza 2 was Turn 10's first next gen game. Growing pains in getting a 60fps HD racer right on the first try.

Some of those tracks seemed rushed too, besides the models. New York looked the worst.

Perkel

Banned
As of New York i don't get why people are excited about it. It is shitty city track in both games.

they should outsource asset development like Quantic Dream does it, then polish those outsourced assets

Why would they need to do that ?

This gen alone they pushed almost 20mln coppies with team of 150 people and they deliver games that have more content than any racing game.

GT6 if it is PS3 game will probably be like GT3-GT4 situation where GT4 delivered 5x content of GT3

what gt needs is a mode where you can choose what cars each of the ai drive, you can do this in forza with private lobbies but you need gold which is fucking bullshit

I agree, something I've wanted since GT3.

I've been using the save editor for GT5 solely for this reason, the secret menu lets you choose what cars the ai drive during an arcade race.

jett

D-Member
No AO.

AO would help but the way the light hits the mirrors doesn't match the rest of the car either.

GT6 if it is PS3 game will probably be like GT3-GT4 situation where GT4 delivered 5x content of GT3

GT5 was already massive, how will I ever get through all that content ;-; Still hope it's cross gen so PD can truly go crazy but I suppose we'll see soon enough.

GT5 was already massive, how will I ever get through all that content ;-; Still hope it's cross gen so PD can truly go crazy but I suppose we'll see soon enough.

TGS 2010

Many things didn’t make the cut in Gran Turismo 5, and work on Gran Turismo 6 has already begun.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-tgs-2010-breakout-session-full-details/

Lucas Ordonez (first GT Academy winner)

Well, Jacob managed to chat with him for a bit asking about Gran Turismo series and it’s future. And the information he managed to get is very interesting. Lucas gave away that Gran Turismo 6 production is in progress and we will be very surprised how accurate and well-reproduced are all the tracks. Also, the amount of them will be simply jawdropping.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-rumored-to-include-large-number-of-tracks/

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
You need an HD capture card or a modded console to take direct-feed screenshots.

Here's a couple of direct-feed shots by wax free vanilla.

granturismo5_4dqb49.png

GT doesn't swap models between in-game and replay mode, so I suspect the difference would be even bigger if you compare GT in-game models to Forza's.

next-gen GT + SPA + full F1 grid = am cry T_T

I know this has been said many a time but Polyphony car models and their lighting system just plain embarasses Turn 10. And when PD put their mind to a track like the ring or spa or special stage 7 you start to wonder how do they do it with less than 200 employees?

Top Bottom