• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

DD

Don't get me wrong, both games are gorgeous, but I'm playing GT5 now and there are tons of low resolution textures, aliased shadows, and screen tearing. I don't see how posting the best BS screenshot proves what game is better.

I know, but you are a decent dude with an adult mind. You don't belong in here! Run while you have the time, mate!

paskowitz

I would love to see a side by side of The Ring in real life, GT5 and FM4 using bumper view under roughly similar lighting conditions (as close as one can get). I think we, well most of us, would find there is something strikingly wrong with the later game.

iRacing would be pretty crap from a driving perspective without its laser scanned tracks. The tracks are more than scenery, they are just as much a determinant of how the car behaves as the physics. This is one of the main reasons why, iRacing (at least on oval format) feels so good. This is the reason why I can never fully enjoy FM4. The quality of the tracks models is severely lacking. I do not mean level of detail or appearance, I mean the accuracy of the track surface. What good is a fancy tire model if what the tire is in contact with is not accurate?

Stillmatic

No, the G25/G27/DFGT don't work on 360.
stigfliptheshit90shy.gif

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I would love to see a side by side of The Ring in real life, GT5 and FM4 using bumper view under roughly similar lighting conditions (as close as one can get). I think we, well most of us, would find there is something strikingly wrong with the later game.

Why don't we do one on Laguna Seca or Indianapolis as well!

And no matter how fanboy, no one who plays Forza would say it's Nurburgring recreation is accurate. We know this. We don't try defending it until the cows come home.

*table flip gif*

I remember when I made a gif exactly the same as that :p

But on a serious note, get a Fanatec wheel. It's better than the logitecs and compatible with all 3 platforms.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh, and to the person who asked if we're still supporting Forza Motorsport 4 with community events then that's very much a yes :) You can see what we've got coming up this week in our latest Week in Review article on the official Forza Motorsport website.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-US/news/WIR_4_26_13

Oh that's cool! Good to see that community support, nice work.

wtf. I recorded that footage today. Promotional video. lol.

bwahaha

Stillmatic

But on a serious note, get a Fanatec wheel. It's better than the logitecs and compatible with all 3 platforms.
That would not go down well with my partner, lol. She bought me the DFGT as part of my birthday present just before GT5 came out. :p

Those Fanatec wheels do look sexy though. Maybe a couple of years into next gen I might be able to get away with a new wheel, next gen GT and Forza should hopefully be around by then. This thread will probably still be going too, ha!

Coldsnap

There's a Logitech g27 wheel set for sale on my craiglist for $160, seems to be in good condition. Should I haggle a bit or is this a good price? Always wanted a wheel.

Mobius 1

I'm sitting here doing some work, and left GT5 playing it's demonstration runs.

Seriously, if you haven't done it, just pop in the disc and when it gets to the main screen, hit Circle and let it play the demonstrations.

So far it has played a historical Le Mans race at dusk. A rainy run on the Nurburgring by a GT-R, a WRC race on Madrid and a production rally car on Toscana.

It's just splendid. I could sit here watching this for hours. The lighting, the details, the soundtrack. Polyphony's efforts have a tremendous appeal to my sensibilities as an automobile enthusiast.

Anyway, check it out. I might capture some of these and YouTube them.

JaggedSac

You have crushed the blacks quite badly. The wheels suffered.

When you have to adjust the contrast that much to make it look good, it really doesn't represent the actual game if you ask me.

Now compare your altered picture to a raw GT5 one (No post processing):

The blacks are crushed because it is in shadow. Only way to fix that would be to overexpose the rest of the photo(increase aperture width, iso, or decrease shutter speed), or take multiple photos at different exposures and create an hdr image. Has nothing to do with contrast. The gt photo you posted is uniformly lit so the dynamic range is not going to cause issue.

Woof, it has been a while, forgot how awful the Forza version of the Ring is. I always thought Forza's sense of speed effects feel artificial, like a half step in the direction of the Shift games which have the dumbest bullshit "super rad awesome sense of speed bro!" effects ever.

Racing is intense when it is good, not because of a bunch of blur filters and blown out EQ. Not that is the issue I have with Forza's handling model, but a lot of other racing games out there are unplayable because of all that crap layered on.

I wanted to say I love your posts. The other one in particular where you said "I guess I'll bite" or something. You speak the truth of both the pros and cons of both games.

Mascot

So, are we all finally agreed then?

• GT5 looks better in pictures because the lighting, shaders and car models are better.
  • FM4 looks better when playing because the frame rate doesn't stutter and the screen doesn't tear in half.

Phew. We got there in the end.

Zaki2407

I'm sitting here doing some work, and left GT5 playing it's demonstration runs.

Seriously, if you haven't done it, just pop in the disc and when it gets to the main screen, hit Circle and let it play the demonstrations.

I thought I,m the only one doing that :) seriously, there's something "magical" about the replay scenes on GT5. Never got bored watching it. Can't wait for the next game!

So, are we all finally agreed then?

• GT5 looks better in pictures because the lighting, shaders and car models are better.
  • FM4 looks better when playing because the frame rate doesn't stutter and the screen doesn't tear in half.

Phew. We got there in the end.

GT5 fans won't be happy before the list states:

1. Xbox and M$ are trash, they like to earn money and are evil. Sony only does it for love and Japanese honour.
2. Forza is complete trash and should never even be played, ever. Will it die soon?
3. GT5 is perfect and gamers shouldn't be able to play anything else.
4. Everything branded with the Sony logo is perfect and the best. Cell 4 ever!
5. Everything branded Xbox is trash and shouldn't even by played and will be pre-hated before even tested.
6. Polyphony is a God and should be worshipped like one, daily.
7. Turn 10, lol, can't make games.
8. Nobody shall ever criticize the GT series and GT5, it is holy and perfection and GT fans have very touchy feelings that need to be taken in consideration if any criticism is considered to be posted. The criticism of GT5 is of course always wrong, GT5 is perfect.
9. Everything is wrong with the Forza games, they are virtually unplayable.

And so the thread can settle.

Us that don't give a shit about brands and companies can continue playing both and this thread can die.

Wow, nice work ResidentDante, you managed to compile an absolutely perfect and undeniable list of shit that no one has said in this thread.

Thumbs up!

Mascot

Aren't people getting the Enzo and the F40 confused here? No serious claims were made about the F40 being a 'special' car, I think that originated in a joke post from the GT side, no?
Still interested to hear the Enzo story, though.

And those here who doubt BADNED's credibility need to seriously wake the fuck up and do some research. The man is a gold mine of accurate insider information, although he's also the biggest prick-teaser on the interwebs... ;)

amar212

Well, this is getting more interesting.

Came here to post this.

Also worth noticing is how The Gathering™ is done.

All people are here.

We should now take serious efforts in getting Nirolak out of his crazy idea to merge all racing games into one thread and kill this (and this type) thread.

We are already planning in making PC Racing #2 thread (if McLaren manages to come back it will be even better project to work on), new Gran Turismo and Forza games should be out by the end of this year and dedicated threads for them will be created, while this thread was doing wonders for keeping the spam out of the main threads.

Also, other racing games will get their threads too probably and only good solution I see is creating some main Racing Games thread that will cover all those (including this) separate threads in the OP via link but also not kill any of them - especially this one.

I honestly think we have successfully avoided many derails thanks to this thread in that fact solely justify its purpose - while its existence should remain unquestioned ever purely because awesomeness of its substance.

p3tran

Banned
you know, those cars in forza that are not 100% true in detail, they are just gifts from t10 to the community.

its just that t10 is more ..stingy, so they only gifted us like 5 or 10 of these models, while polyphony on the other side being generous they gifted us ..810!

;D

p.s. this thread has the purpose of being entertaining. lets keep it that way.

Mascot

There's plenty of direct feed shots of GT in this thread, in game and photomode GT is well ahead of Forza in the graphics department.

There are quite a few people (myself included) who find the frame rate and the screen tearing in GT5 a little too distracting. I guess it doesn't bother you so much?

Top Bottom