• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Goldrusher

I took these yesterday. Direct from PS3 at 720p all gameplay. This is what GT5 looks like using my shitty capture card
Fixed.
The game does not look that blurry and interlaced.

Here's some good captures:

3309025263_a94f82fe3a_o.png

5193684148_3cbef03258_o.jpg

3309864470_9e9845be08_o.png

3309855630_f7d26c708b_o.png

5194363017_e1f78c5fee_o.jpg

5194962672_772f5b55a3_o.jpg

5194363275_d654aec703_o.jpg

3309032145_c5f706fb38_o.png

5194362689_b21ee37ae2_o.jpg

5198549195_fbec13a0d4_o.jpg

Replay:

5193086227_bbfca62881_o.jpg

5194362555_c2eee79820_o.jpg

5197781819_31e10d076d_o.jpg

5194363595_a4b8e559e9_o.jpg

4186315112_99b2bdf2ce_o.png

5197781665_3a7f463b06_o.jpg

5197781905_dbcda2d5c0_o.jpg

5194961784_2850a36ff7_o.jpg

5199142950_473a7fa93b_o.jpg

5194363687_25b288901d_o.jpg

nOoblet16

1080p mode in GT5 mode is blurrier as it uses QAA and TAA, 720p 4*MSAA provides superior IQ.

4XMSAA @ 720p

4XMSAA + FXAA @ 720p

http://i6.minus.com/ibrKkL1z5w0xds.JPEG

Since both games have V-sync locked they always look like this 100% of the time while you play.
GT5 4xMSAA 720p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56067968&postcount=17638
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56070252&postcount=17651
Try again

As for the Forza pictures both have different environments that cannot be compared, one is full of close objects taking vertical space with high contrast lighting while the other has a muted contrast and there's no big object/building/structure nearby. Also Horizon is blurrier and that is a fact you cannot argue against !

I'm really not fussed about the graphics in either - both look good to me in motion and each have their own little advantages.

I'm more interested in hearing about important differences like inaccurate modelling of tracks or cars, handling differences etc.

So with that in mind, anyone care to share a few interesting differences regarding the real world tracks? I'm aware that the 'ring in Forza is not as accurate as GT5 but what about some of the other tracks? Are there any lap comparisons out there which show differences between identical cars?

Edit: And yes, GT5 does have aliasing visible on some tracks/cars - or at least it does when I play it on my TV.

Reiko

Banned
What's your point ?
Why post a Forza picture when you clearly have 3 GT5 pictures that SHOW how clean and pristine it looks ?

Both pictures have different environments that cannot be compared, one is full of close objects taking vertical space with high contrast lighting while the other has a muted contrast and there's no big object/building nearby.

Clean and pristine?

Simple question, are you just looking at aliasing on the environments and not the cars as well?

Because that was one of the major things I noticed in Forza Horizon compared to GT5 or Forza 4.

Yeah, there is aliasing on the cars. You proved my point.

4XMSAA just isn't enough to cover the jaggies.

TimeTrial_001.bmp.jpg

Forza_4_env2.bmp.jpg

I'll take a slightly blurrier image over all those jaggies. Sorry.

I'm really not fussed about the graphics in either - both look good to me in motion and each have their own little advantages.

I'm more interested in hearing about important differences like inaccurate modelling of tracks or cars, handling differences etc.

So with that in mind, anyone care to share a few interesting differences regarding the real world tracks? I'm aware that the 'ring in Forza is not as accurate as GT5 but what about some of the other tracks? Are there any lap comparisons out there which show differences between identical cars?

Edit: And yes, GT5 does have aliasing visible on some tracks/cars - or at least it does when I play it on my TV.

GT vs Real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1EEZe-Eqto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1QymAV0YGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRR7kAZqreg

GT vs Forza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkjiftFsG6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvClhUtKesg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kslCZaCNQ1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aQqzFXDyio

Reiko

Banned
Ahh, a time trial screenshot. Forza uses better AA when there is only one car in the track.

Will be interesting to see a full grid screenshot.

I specifically used that shot to explain that 4XMSAA isn't the be all solution and that it does not get rid of the car jaggies like Forza Horizon does.

Here is full grid, since you asked.

360_022.jpg.jpg

2XMSAA

velociraptor

Crazy how much better photomode shots look compared to direct feed. I'd almost consider them a generational leap in visuals.

I'd be thrilled to see that quality but I suspect the biggest hurdle will be that IQ and the complete lack of jaggies.

Crazy how much better photomode shots look compared to direct feed. I'd almost consider them a generational leap in visuals.

I'd be thrilled to see that quality but I suspect the biggest hurdle will be that IQ and the complete lack of jaggies.

That's one reason why i'd be fine with them making a 1080p version of GT6 for the PS4. It obviously won't be an indication of what PD will be capable of with their first real PS4 GT, but it'd still look fantastic. Like I said before, they've had plans to port their last game from the previous two generations to Sony's new consoles, but both have ended up being cancelled or evolved into something else. Hopefully GT6 will be the first that makes it through.

That's one reason why i'd be fine with them making a 1080p version of GT6 for the PS4. It obviously won't be an indication of what PD will be capable of with their first real PS4 GT, but it'd still look fantastic. Like I said before, they've had plans to port their last game from the previous two generations to Sony's new consoles, but both have ended up being cancelled or evolved into something else. Hopefully GT6 will be the first that makes it through.

GT5 models but with better AA and running at 1080p would look fantastic, the PS4 shouldn't have any trouble running those visuals.

i5HgowEssI6to.jpg

io4bjcMQ1gNYZ.jpg

il4czQnR5XAGo.jpg

If GT6 isn't a cross-gen title, which I don't think it will be, I hope we at least get a prologue or demo version of a next-gen GT title within the first year of launch.

The revival of this thread only enforces what Amar said last page, we have to have a separate comparison thread ahead of the next releases. It was a god send for both the GT5 and Forza threads to keep all of this contained here. I enjoy seeing the back and forth comparisons when a thread is set aside just for that. But as soon as this bleeds into the individual threads, it is the worst.

Please don't lump all of the Sim Racer threads together. At the very least we need a thread for, PC Sims, Forza, GT, GT v Forza and them maybe a catchall other console racers thread.

Angst

The revival of this thread only enforces what Amar said last page, we have to have a separate comparison thread ahead of the next releases. It was a god send for both the GT5 and Forza threads to keep all of this contained here. I enjoy seeing the back and forth comparisons when a thread is set aside just for that. But as soon as this bleeds into the individual threads, it is the worst.

Please don't lump all of the Sim Racer threads together. At the very least we need a thread for, PC Sims, Forza, GT, GT v Forza and them maybe a catchall other console racers thread.
Agreed. Having one mega racing thread would be like having only one thread for all fps games.

Indeed, how do we persuade him not to do it. All the junk should go in here while the OT's for the games remain clean.

Agreed. Having one mega racing thread would be like having only one thread for all fps games.

You speak truth, lets start a petition.

I'm pretty sure each game will still own it's own OT and thread, but instead of a GT vs Forza thread there'll be a general sim racing thread where you can bicker and compare all sim racers against each other, PC and console.

So, since this thread is still going and has pretty much evolved in this direction anyway, come the end of E3 we're going to enact a relatively minor change (at least relative to what this thread is now).

Basically this thread will shut down and in its place a Sim Racer Community Thread shall be born, and it will be started in Gaming (and left there for a while longer than normal) so everyone can become aware of it.

Obviously it won't be solely limited to GT and Forza, so Project Cars, and whatever else is deemed an actual Sim Racer can feel free to join the fun, even though I suspect the discussion will be dominated by the first two brands.

Obviously each of these games should still get their own new threads and follow the new threads for new major news rules.

Anyway, I wanted to warn people about a month and a half in advance so you can decide how you want to structure your new thread, who should make the OP, what actually counts as a Sim Racer, and how you want the thread to be when the starting post premise isn't "Let's throw mud at each other."

I'm pretty sure each game will still own it's own OT and thread, but instead of a GT vs Forza thread there'll be a general sim racing thread where you can bicker and compare all sim racers against each other, PC and console.

Oh, but then it will become consoles vs PC. It will be funny to see GT and Forza fans unite in the fight against our PC sims overloads.

Goldrusher

Nirolak doesn't get it.

This isn't a news thread or a discussion thread. It's what the title says. Forza vs Gran Turismo. Nothing more.

"Sim Racer Community Thread". LOL. There's no community here. 't Is a battlefield.

gaming_noob

GT5 models but with better AA and running at 1080p would look fantastic, the PS4 shouldn't have any trouble running those visuals.

i5HgowEssI6to.jpg

io4bjcMQ1gNYZ.jpg

il4czQnR5XAGo.jpg

If GT6 isn't a cross-gen title, which I don't think it will be, I hope we at least get a prologue or demo version of a next-gen GT title within the first year of launch.

OMG! GT on PS4 is going to be like real life.

I'm really looking forward to next gen visuals, more so then last gen to this current one. It's more then just "now we can use shaders!" but more "we have refined shaders for several years to be better"

Nirolak doesn't get it.

This isn't a news thread or a discussion thread. It's what the title says. Forza vs Gran Turismo. Nothing more.

"Sim Racer Community Thread". LOL. There's no community here. 't Is a battlefield.

If it happens, then we need to lump the CoD, BF and ARMA threads together as well. It would be pretty much the same.

Maybe because forza fans dont try to fool themselves posting selective images that put people in doubt with what they are seeing in their TV's while playing.

Sure they don't. I think a better reason is because Forza 4 does not look as good as GT5. This is pretty much accepted by most people.

Reiko

Banned
I'm really looking forward to next gen visuals, more so then last gen to this current one. It's more then just "now we can use shaders!" but more "we have refined shaders for several years to be better"

Also: Make the world feel ALIVE!

I love what Forza Horizon did. But it was in 30fps as a result.

When it comes to driving games, we really will reach the point of 'diminishing returns' in this coming gen. Character-based games still have a long way to go, but driving games knock on the door of photorealistic on a regular basis.

But there is still room for skill. Project CARS proves that despite all its technology, the team are still struggling to make the materials/surfaces look as natural as GT5.

[IG]http://i4.minus.com/i5HgowEssI6to.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i5.minus.com/io4bjcMQ1gNYZ.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i5.minus.com/il4czQnR5XAGo.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah, i'm leaning more toward it not being cross-gen. But if it is then I expect it to release around the time they start doing a GotY edition with all the DLC. That'll give DriveClub some breathing room and would allow GT6 to drive additional PS3 sales through the holidays. They could include some sort of GT7 demo with that version. It'd probably be something more along the lines of GTHD Concept than Prologue.

No one really gets heated about PC sim game rivalry or PC sims against console sims. Forza v. GT is a very specific debate and I would hate to see this fun, but admittedly tedious comparison thread get lumped in with anything else because it will dominate that thread.

All PC Sims should be in one community thread and I look forward to the new thread that was talked about being started. However, you put Forza v. GT in any other thread and it is poison.

Mascot

I'd vote for 'no more than a thousand images per page' quota for the new thread. I feel like I've seen the entirety of both games in image form by now.

Not on GAF, but if you go to the dedicated sim forums it's just as bad as this thread.

Sorry,I meant here in GAF. The racing sim community is pretty small on the PC side and most people tend to enjoy playing whatever they can. I go from RBR, to rFactor 2 to iRacing without even thinking about it, yet I have very strong opinions about GT games.

You should read the pCars thread in the iRacing forums, ugh. That said, I am loving the fuck out of iRacing since joining. Best online racing I have ever had.. you know outside of our beloved NeoGAF Racing League. heheh.

leadbelly

Banned
Both look terrible up close, and both use heavy amounts of 2D shit. The trees in Forza are the only noticeable improvement over GT5. There also are the distant mountains, but I don't think they look as real as the ones in GT5, then again, those use textures that look like pictures, so it would be kinda easy to do that as opposed to making them by hand.

Well, bushes, trees, grass at the side of the road, better texture work, etc. Obviously Forza does cheat in places, but it is usually where it is less noticeable.

Reiko

Banned
Well, bushes, trees, grass at the side of the road, better texture work, etc. Obviously Forza does cheat in places, but it is usually where it is less noticeable.

If I remember some tracks have more additional detail. Even if the Ring isn't as accurate as GT5... There is an increased amount of detail on the side of the road.

Also the Ferris Wheel in Suzuka moves on Forza.

Top Bottom