• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Mascot

I thought the latest patch sorted out the screen tearing? I'm not sure, I pulled out at 2.05.

I've heard it helps, but doesn't eliminate it completely. When was this patch released?

OK, downloading patch 2.12 as we speak. I'll see how it compares to recent memory.

Just to pick up on this. You sure about that, GT specifically ?

Everything is pointing toward this year for GT6. SCEE's president was the first one to mention it and then we've had retailer listings for this year. CV&G have said that they've heard that it'll be revealed in the next few weeks.

You have may not of said it but you Metalmurphy are one of the main posters that have certainly implied everything on that list over the years.

I either said it or didn't say it. "Implied" is whatever you wish to read into things, and what you read into is distorted by bias.

Besides I haven't even said anything remotely closed to 99% of that list that can even be read as an implication to it. Prove me otherwise.

Angst

I either said it or didn't say it. "Implied" is whatever you wish to read into things, and what you read into is distorted by bias.

Besides I haven't even said anything remotely closed to 99% of that list that can even be read as an implication to it. Prove me otherwise.
Not agreeing with "GT5 in game looks like shit" = you implying that Kaz is a god and should be made king of all racing games.

There are quite a few people (myself included) who find the frame rate and the screen tearing in GT5 a little too distracting. I guess it doesn't bother you so much?

It's over exaggerated imo, yes it tears sometimes and you get framerate drops, mainly on city tracks and during race starts, but other than that I hardly ever notice those problems when playing the game.

People act as if the whole game is unplayable because these problems are so severe. I spend most of my time racing and doing time trails on the 'Ring and it's hardly noticeable.

Angst

It's over exaggerated imo, yes it tears sometimes and you get framerate drops, mainly on city tracks and during race starts, but other than that I hardly ever notice those problems when playing the game.

People act as if the whole game is unplayable because these problems are so severe. I spend most of my time racing and doing time trails on the 'Ring and it's hardly noticeable.
Can I do a gif request? I'd love to see a cockpit capture from the Caterham 7. Standard car, but it still looks good.

Mascot

Still has tearing and slowdown even in replays.

I just downloaded the latest patch and ran five laps with a full grid on Deep Forest, Trial Mountain and Madrid (all in dry sun). The frame drops and screen tearing both seem reduced from what I remember pre-patch, but as Sunhi says, they were still pretty noticeable at the start of the race (especially on Madrid, which was awful) until the field spreads out a bit. After that there was the occasional blip, but not as bad as I remember. Highly subjective and non-scientific of course, but this is very encouraging. It makes me wonder whether removing one or two cars from the grid might eliminate the issue entirely. The game does look fucking gorgeous at a v-synched 60.

It'd be great if DF ran an analysis of the latest patch and compared it to the day one version.

Can I do a gif request? I'd love to see a cockpit capture from the Caterham 7. Standard car, but it still looks good.

gt5caterham2vrsv.gif

dc89

There's only one thing I enjoy more than reading this thread - taking photo's in GT5. I don't pretend I'm great at taking photos, but I really like to regardless. Here are a small selection, DAT lighting. <3

8008992655_b94b3857f7_b.jpg

8008991415_5f67d1ec33_b.jpg

Xanadu

Banned
Special, my ass. A shitty modeled car stays a shitty modeled car. Nothing more, nothing less.

badned is there any way you can get the word to beardy about remodelling it , i mean i understand about inaccurate slower cars but to many the f40 is considered the best supercar ever made so its kinda important for it to have a good model!

p3tran

Banned
direct feed pics
yup, thats just about right
its not 2008 any more.
people may come to say "yuk! it doesnt look like that on my 5k tv", but just plug it to the monitor where you have your pc, and thats exactly where you are.

the biggest pity of all though, is that during this entire console generation not a single game came to pc that would stand up there as a whole along these two games...

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
The one thing that stands out most in those pictures.. Forza 4's love of super shiny roads.
Makes no sense, since it almost feels like it had to be something they did on purpose.

Both games look better in motion, 60 fps does that (same goes for CoD).

Arucardo

The one thing that stands out most in those pictures.. Forza 4's love of super shiny roads.
Makes no sense, since it almost feels like it had to be something they did on purpose.

Both games look better in motion, 60 fps does that (same goes for CoD).

Yeah, the "shiny" roads straight up ruin some tracks. Good example is the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, who the hell though it would be a good idea to have the sun reflecting directly at you during it?

I remember being impressed with the shiny roads back when MotoGP 2 came out, it looks fucking shit in Forza 4.

Even the dirt and grass on the Nurbgring GP catches the light like that.

Perkel

Banned

Bullshit. No way in hell game has that terrible IQ. Game has in 720p mode 4xMSAA and in 1280x1080 mode 2xAA+2xTAA

That picture looks like taken without any AA.

Other dude posted direct feed screenshots and that is quality of GT5 in game.

1080p mode is one of the cleanest IQ on consoles

leadbelly

Banned
That's the reality about the discussion we're having here...

reggie-fils-aime.jpg

It's not really. GT5 has always looked good in screenshots and replays. It's easy to hide its shortcomings. As long as you drive at a certain distance away from trees and objects, it looks pretty good. As soon as you get up close to things, you realise a lot of things are just 2d sprites and cardboard cut outs. The lighting certainly is great though.

Forza looks like a fully realised 3D world. In action the extra detail is far more noticeable.

amar212

Bullshit. No way in hell game has that terrible IQ. Game has in 720p mode 4xMSAA and in 1280x1080 mode 2xAA+2xTAA

I agree.

These screenshots are damn old and have obviously been taken with component cable or some other bad source (exporting a gameplay-movie through component and then taking a screencaps oout of the capture-device).

Both GT5 and Forza look way better than that, my 2006 720p plasma can confirm that.

Reiko

Banned

I believe you are referring to that IQ scaling to your TV. It's 2013, why are some still in denial over this?

I agree.

These screenshots are damn old and have obviously been taken with component cable or some other bad source (exporting a gameplay-movie through component and then taking a screencaps oout of the capture-device).

Both GT5 and Forza look way better than that, my 2006 720p plasma can confirm that.

There you go.

On a LCD, the aliasing is worse for me.

DD

That one without aliasing and using impossible in game angles to show the cars engines?

Perkel

Banned
That one without aliasing and using impossible in game angles to show the cars engines?

no behind car without hud.

I know why those direct feed screenshots look that horrible look here:

iXHtAkB1AwsAF.jpg

In game this meter do not "melt" with each other" Which means:

Image was badly re-sized (probably in photoshop by not round /2 value) and both images are not even 1280x720p.

Both Forza and GT5 screenshots are that way.

Angst

I believe you are referring to that IQ scaling to your TV. It's 2013, why are some still in denial over this?

There you go.

On a LCD, the aliasing is worse for me.
GT looks better than the images above on my:
1080p 24" 2008 LCD monitor
1080p 32" 2010 LCD TV
1080p 42" 2012 LCD TV

And what Perkel said, the meter in game is distinctively lined not blurred.

RankoSD

Yeah, just look at the map and the numbers in GT5 pics, there's so much aliasing going on there and I never had that...

Angst

I just looked at the source of the images. They are from gamereactor, the horrible swedish site... They have terrible capture cards and both forza and GT will look bad when they have done the captures.

Perkel

Banned
Yeah, just look at the map and the numbers in GT5 pics, there's much aliasing going on there and I never had that...

This is what you get when you try to resize in photoshop image by not round %

Here is original image:

igetZrMLq9zYo.jpg

and this is what you get when you do some shitty resizing (77,8%):

iCBbycI3hUwjf.png

Perkel

Banned
Well that's your set.

GT and Forza looks cleaner on my CRT. Also no ghosting or blurring.

dude both GT5 and Forza screenshots are not even 1280x720. Where standard resolution for GT5 is 1280x1080. And both are resized in shitty way

This is proper direct feed:

nurb_ext_gt82_023jep4.png

toscana_ext_impc3fef.png

suzukua_int_3707ad4t.png

Game isn't super clean but has terrific IQ only in rare cases it breaks

Reiko

Banned
dude both GT5 and Forza screenshots are not even 1280x720. Where standard resolution for GT5 is 1280x1080. And both are resized in shitty way

This is proper direct feed:

toscana_ext_impc3fef.png

suzukua_int_3707ad4t.png

Game isn't super clean but has terrific IQ only in rare cases it breaks

Your idea of terrific IQ is of opinion.

I think God of War 3, God of War Ascension, and Forza Horizon are better examples of terrific console IQ. But to each his/her own.

I agree.

Most places can only do component screen grabs. Digital foundry has some super expensive thing that will rip HDMI grabs from the PS3. 95% of consumer products can't record HDMI because of the DRM in it.

It's not really. GT5 has always looked good in screenshots and replays. It's easy to hide its shortcomings. As long as you drive at a certain distance away from trees and objects, it looks pretty good. As soon as you get up close to things, you realise a lot of things are just 2d sprites and cardboard cut outs. The lighting certainly is great though.

Forza looks like a fully realised 3D world. In action the extra detail is far more noticeable.

Both look terrible up close, and both use heavy amounts of 2D shit. The trees in Forza are the only noticeable improvement over GT5. There also are the distant mountains, but I don't think they look as real as the ones in GT5, then again, those use textures that look like pictures, so it would be kinda easy to do that as opposed to making them by hand.

nOoblet16

I think God of War 3, God of War Ascension, and Forza Horizon are better examples of terrific console IQ. But to each his/her own.

Same applies for you. I'd argue 4*MSAA at 720p brings far more consistent and cleaner image than 720p with MLAA that GOW does (and MLAA does not works at all on sub pixel areas). Horizon is 720p 4*MSAA and FXAA so it is very comparable to GT5, smoother edges but also at the same time it's blurrier due to FXAA.

Image Quality doesn't just refers to the smoothness or lack of jaggies, but also the clarity and crispness as well as consistency while it's running (which means IQ also includes V sync).

Just played some GT5 - took the NSX round Laguna Seca. Replay mode looked stunning as usual.

Then I loaded up a Lupo (Standard model) and we see the jarring inconsistencies that exist in GT5. Went into photo mode and the car looked like a cardboard box full of jagged edges and very low resolution textures. In fact, it stopped me from getting too close to the car haha.

I love both games, but I really hope GT6 pushes for more consistency across the board - and if extra features are going to be included (and pushed as a cool feature) then I'd like to see them have a bit more depth.

For instance, NASCAR seemed like an awesome addition and then it just stopped.

Perkel

Banned

Those screenshots as OP said are from 720p mode. 1080p mode is more clean than that.

GOW3 has terrific IQ and GT5 at 1080p mode is close to that (only a bit worse)

shinnn

I took these yesterday. Direct from PS3 at 720p all gameplay. This is what GT5 looks like, sorry to burst your bubble.

suzukua_int_3707ad4t.png

toscana_ext_impc3fef.png

This is what GT5 looks like (when you set a track in better conditions to shot, like sunrise or cloudy, and when you parked you car to find the right spot to hide imperfections). No others cars around helps too to keep the image clean.

Reiko

Banned
Same applies for you. I'd argue 4*MSAA at 720p brings far more consistent and cleaner image than 720p with MLAA that GOW does (and MLAA does not works at all on sub pixel areas). Horizon is 720p 4*MSAA and FXAA so it is very comparable to GT5, smoother edges but also at the same time it's blurrier due to FXAA.

Image Quality doesn't just refers to the smoothness or lack of jaggies, but also the clarity and crispness as well as consistency while it's running (which means IQ also includes V sync).

4XMSAA @ 720p

4XMSAA + FXAA @ 720p

ibrKkL1z5w0xds.JPEG

Since both games have V-sync locked they always look like this 100% of the time while you play.

DD

Badly resized or not, these are more realistic views of the games than those photomode crap that has been posted to compare the graphics of both games.

My Forza 4 don't look that bad on my TV either, neither as good as the photomode bullshit that has been posted. Of couse that while in movement, the game doesn't look as jaggy as the images show.

Xanadu

Banned
Badly resized or not, these are more realistic views of the games than those photomode crap that has been posted to compare the graphics of both games.

My Forza 4 don't look that bad on my TV either, neither as good as the photomode bullshit that has been posted. Of couse that while in movement, the game doesn't look as jaggy as the images show.

photomode pics to prove graphics always makes me laugh, a console gamers wet dream

Top Bottom