• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

The cars in forza have always ignored reflections of the ground, you can see in the screens above that the GT cars will appear darker near the underside of the car because of the asphalt, forza does not do that.

Mascot

You should try racing online ;)

The GT5 races I've had with gaf when it was running regularly were great, racing against other people always makes me nervous and gets my heart pumping.

Very true. I used to race online quite a lot with a bunch of friends, and when its good there's nothing better. Can't beat that feeling of winning a hard-fought race against friends and acquaintances. I've not raced online in quite a while though. I guess people drifted away one by one as other games took over. Racing against randoms is just... fucking horrible, for the most part.

FordGTGuy

Banned
The cars in forza have always ignored reflections of the ground, you can see in the screens above that the GT cars will appear darker near the underside of the car because of the asphalt, forza does not do that.

mUl0BAd.jpg

rb6kUUu.jpg

q341VLE.jpg

Wait wha?

Very true. I used to race online quite a lot with a bunch of friends, and when its good there's nothing better. Can't beat that feeling of winning a hard-fought race against friends and acquaintances. I've not raced online in quite a while though. I guess people drifted away one by one as other games took over. Racing against randoms is just... fucking horrible, for the most part.

I can't race random on any racing game, you always have jerks.

Angst

Yes, unfortunately it is pretty horrible. We will soon(ish) do another NRL race though.

sunnz

Those shuffle races were people have random but similar cars is one of the best experiences I have had online.

It really is intense, as in my palms are sweaty and since the cars are similar in performance it really boils down to who is the best driver. I won a few times but even when I lost and came near last I still had a blast and enjoyed it.

Random racing is pretty awesome, ESPECIALLY if you make sure you are aware of those idiots who try to hit you but if you make sure to counter that then not only is it a laugh but very rewarding to see them crash ( like when turning a little when breaking and seeing them fly past you into the wall) and other times.

In other you simply haven't played FM4 and judge through screens.

I just don't get why PD/Sony didn't decide to outsource loads of models instead of creating a vast divide in quality.

I'm sure people will say it's because they're perfectionists but that's hard to understand when they have a lot of very ropey standard models - which didn't even have cockpit views (although they do now, albeit a black box).

The simple answer is that they don't outsource anything. Everything you see in GT5 is something that they built on their own.

Wait wha?

It's more to do with the shade on the car then reflecting like a mirror, maybe I worded it wrong. It's part of why forza has that slight toon look to it because it's making the car stick out a little.

For example you can go into the vinyl editor, apply a grey transparent shade along the bottom of the car at about 90% transparency and it looks a ton better, I have done that to some cars since forza 1 was out.

I'll grab some screens later when I can.

In other you simply haven't played FM4 and judge through screens.

I own all the games including the LE's, son.

It's a small flaw such as the super clear glass on cars because it's not reflecting much of the sky, something more tweaks can fix.

Mascot

I can't race random on any racing game, you always have jerks.

Had some good sessions with randoms on PGR3 in the year following the 360 launch. Met and made lifelong friendships with some of them, too. We still meet up every year for a piss-up and a curry, and for weddings, motorsport events, paintballing, Eurogamer etc. Everyone seemed a lot friendlier back then - not the brat spoiler kids that seem to populate XBL these days, whining and quitting early all the time.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Had some good sessions with randoms on PGR3 in the year following the 360 launch. Met and made lifelong friendships with some of them, too. We still meet up every year for a piss-up and a curry, and for weddings, motorsport events, paintballing, Eurogamer etc. Everyone seemed a lot friendlier back then - not the brat spoiler kids that seem to populate XBL these days, whining and quitting early all the time.

You know I was going to bring up PGR as being one of the few games I ever had good random races in, nice to see I'm not the only one.

Grid was the worst online, you join a lobby without a headset? kicked. You join with a low level? kicked.

When you did get into a race all the elite racers would go pile up in the first corner and it's all their fault, not yours.

Damage comparison time.

Personally, I find that neither do it well (Grid and Shift 2 piss on both in this aspect).

Although GT5's is real-time, it can look goofy in extreme cases. Then Forza cars look like they drove through a sandpaper factory with a little bump. So both are a bit shit. Double fail.

QGxlUcs.jpg

Yep, Saladine and others (myself included) have been crying out for more brutality in FM and GT for ages, all as part of providing a more authentic overall race-day experience. FM and GT could both learn things from Shift in this regard. You should come away from playing both games with your palms sweating and your heart racing.

Just using a physically responsive camera mounted to a driver skeleton would help immersion immensely. I mean it's great that force feedback wheels start to try and simulate the forces at work, but even the best ones aren't even close to represent even small cc Kart steering forces. But that's just mechanical limitation that's impossible to overcome in consumer products.

I agree with the notion that FOV changes are idiotic as usually if something gets frantic enough, the players eyes will actually do that themselves.

Driver exhaustion would probably be impossible to faithfully simulate, but at least make the visual and physical feedback more believable.

Maybe they could include driver death into the games. Have a brutal crash? The chance that your driver won't make it out alive and you lose your progress/career should be at least an option. Put some Dark Souls into that bitch. In Racing you never ever drive 100% unless you're a fearless bastard that either lacks the perspective and understanding of death (ignorance of youth), or actively defies it. Racing is an onslaught of sensory impressions, but racing games so far have utterly failed at delivering that aspect beyond sterile car simulation.

You should try racing online ;)

The GT5 races I've had with gaf when it was running regularly were great, racing against other people always makes me nervous and gets my heart pumping. I know what you mean by overall race-day experience though, the A-Spec mode is something that needs to change, I would prefer if they expanded the special events and built their single player around that somehow.

That would actually be a great idea. It would still not solve the sterile interaction, but at least would put genuine racing and competition at the forefront. I'd be down for that as an interim solution.

But even then you'd still be so detached from the action, so devoid of feedback that the tension itself comes from the competition, not the driving itself.

Damage comparison time.

Personally, I find that neither do it well (Grid and Shift 2 piss on both in this aspect).

Although GT5's is real-time, it can look goofy in extreme cases. Then Forza cars look like they drove through a sandpaper factory with a little bump. So both are a bit shit. Double fail.

http://i.imgur.com/QGxlUcs.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Forza damage can be rather silly, you reverse into a wall at 30mph and the roof will scratch.

All forza needs to do is show less scratches over the car but keep the crumples.

Stating facts is now considered a low?

Do you even realize how Forza guys have been treated in this thread?

It's so ironic how GT fanboys call pc sim racers elitist, they should really look in the mirror.

You think I won't call out Turn 10 and Forza?

Here are my giant gripes with Turn 10.

1. Fix the lighting engine already!
2. Stop putting in the same money glitch every game with the same car even.
3. Listen to your fans and fix your damn 3d car models already.
4. Stop removing features from every game it's annoying how you will remove random features every game that should be in the game.
5. Improve the upgrading and tuning system already, we've been using the same system for games now.
6. Let people tune boost and air/fuel mixtures already!
7. Stop removing good tracks from your game and bring back some of the old ones that should've never left.
8. Actually improve the AI for the better at some point.
9. Get rid of the nemesis AI and make the entire competition compete with you.
10. Allow tuning and upgrading in the lobby again!
11. Stop having exclusive cars that no one can get unless they preorder from every box store in existence and than later charge for these cars in a DLC pack, if anything release these cars for free.
12. For the love of everything good in this world fix drag racing already!
13. Make a mode with absolutely no assists at all!
14. Revamp the lobby menu system already, in the very least so a picture layout preview of tracks I'm choosing so I can choose the right one.
15. Stop limiting the options for forced induction on vehicles every vehicle should have the option for turbo or superchargers.
16. Bring back a city track already!
17. Open-wheeled racers please..
18. Make a proper Nurburgring already!
19. Add support for Logitech racing wheels!
20. Get rid of the upgrade stage system and use a more realistic manufacturer system with realistic improvements.
21. Make upgrading a car more complicated, instead of throwing the suspension all into one upgrade allow us to upgrade every piece separately.
22. Allow us to gain sponsors and earn money from them with in-race objectives, use the paintjob system to allow us to have to make our own custom sponsor paintjobs that earn us money.
23. Give us different car tire brands already with real tires instead of the sport, race and slicks crap.
24. Make the traction system actually work on RWD cars.
25. Put in a rear interior view it's annoying when looking back in interior and seeing nothing but the road.
26. No more in game 2d textures, the engine in the Ford GT should not be a ugly 2d texture no matter how many cars on the track.
27. Add rain, snow, ice, fog, strong wind and dynamic and adjustable(customizable) weather to the game.
28. Add a dynamic day/night cycle with customizable settings.

With so many fundamental problems as you just listed and yet you prefer Forza over GT.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Damage is never going to be what we want in games like Forza and GT that have normal everyday cars and tons of brands. Each brand has their own restrictions for instance Ford Motor Company won't allow any damage that shows intrusion into the cabin.

With so many fundamental problems as you just listed and yet you prefer Forza over GT.

You think Forza is the only game with problems? hah

Every game has room the improve and no game is perfect so there will always be flaws.

I play Forza to have fun, usually I jump in Free Play mode choose a random car on a random track and throw it around a track as fast as I can.

I can list dozens of problems and flaws with my favorite movie, this doesn't prevent it from being my favorite movie.

I forget which but forza 2 or 3 had different tire brands, all would vary in grip and life too.

You selected the type of tire and then could pick from 3 or 4 different qualities.

saladine1

Yep, no matter how much times we compare visuals and such, the fact of the matter is, there's so much more important things that need to be addressed.

One of those things, as mentioned by others, is the racing itself. I don't think anyone would be comfortable in saying that both games are fine in this department.
I can't believe that after all these years, this issue hasn't been resolved or at least addressed in a serious manner.
I understand that these games are more about the cars than the race itself, but this kind of philosophy has gone on for far too long.

Race day immersion, atmosphere, authenticity..whatever you want to call it needs to be at the forefront of future games.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Why hasn't anyone complained about the horrible sound effects in gt5?

haven't played the game in 3 months or so hoping that the monthly updates would eventually improve the sounds into something that resembles a vehicle and not my shitty lawn mower

I own an R33 gtr in real life, so naturally I would pick the R33 gtr in gt5 and take it for a spin, hoping they patched in that throaty RB20 engine note I adore.

what I got instead was a droning overbearing noise of a supercharged vacum cleaner, i didn't even bother completing the lap. I took the game out and put it back onto the shelf for it to collect dust until I trade it in for drive club.

someone please explain to me, after numerous patches...why they haven't improved the sound of the cars? it is the most crucial aspect of a racing game, apart of the fundamentals that makes a racing game enjoyable, and for 10 years now they haven't been able to replicate a real car sound. Its unacceptable.

Race day immersion, atmosphere, authenticity..whatever you want to call it needs to be at the forefront of future games.

I think it'll be interesting to see what Kaz meant by this

“The next step is exactly what you are experiencing here at GT Academy. Racing is a human drama and I would like to achieve that in the next game.”

http://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-hopes-to-acheive-human-drama-in-next-gran-turismo/

It sounds like what you're describing.

Aguirre

Damage comparison time.

QGxlUcs.jpg

i genuinely dont understand how its possible for the hood on that bmw to have scrapes right up to the windscreen?????? how???? i mean no car on forza could possibly cause that...

This might sound morbid. But I've always wanted racing sims to have fatal crashes.

Have a massive t-bone hit or head-on collision with a brick wall and your career is over. Gone forever. New character profile needed.

It would certainly strike fear into the gamer and make you be more careful.

Aguirre

This might sound morbid. But I've always wanted racing sims to have fatal crashes.

Have a massive t-bone hit or head-on collision with a brick wall and your career is over. Gone forever. New character profile needed.

or what about a regenerative health bar? and perks too

Mascot

haven't played the game in 3 months or so hoping that the monthly updates would eventually improve the sounds into something that resembles a vehicle and not my shitty lawn mower

I own an R33 gtr in real life, so naturally I would pick the R33 gtr in gt5 and take it for a spin, hoping they patched in that throaty RB20 engine note I adore.

what I got instead was a droning overbearing noise of a supercharged vacum cleaner, i didn't even bother completing the lap. I took the game out and put it back onto the shelf for it to collect dust until I trade it in for drive club.

someone please explain to me, after numerous patches...why they haven't improved the sound of the cars? it is the most crucial aspect of a racing game, apart of the fundamentals that makes a racing game enjoyable, and for 10 years now they haven't been able to replicate a real car sound. Its unacceptable.

I heard it was to with RAM allocation or something?
No doubt someone in the know will pipe up.

It's more to do with the shade on the car then reflecting like a mirror, maybe I worded it wrong. It's part of why forza has that slight toon look to it because it's making the car stick out a little.

For example you can go into the vinyl editor, apply a grey transparent shade along the bottom of the car at about 90% transparency and it looks a ton better, I have done that to some cars since forza 1 was out.

I'll grab some screens later when I can.

I own all the games including the LE's, son.

It's a small flaw such as the super clear glass on cars because it's not reflecting much of the sky, something more tweaks can fix.

My bad! I see what you mean now though!

agreed, this would really add to the tension of racing.

saladine1

Are you serious?
It's been addressed a thousand times.

Dead horse and all.

I think it'll be interesting to see what Kaz meant by this

http://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-hopes-to-acheive-human-drama-in-next-gran-turismo/

It sounds like what you're describing.

Promising. Very promising indeed.
At least the acknowledgement is there.

Hopefully, Greenawalt follows suit..

Yep, no matter how much times we compare visuals and such, the fact of the matter is, there's so much more important things that need to be addressed.

One of those things, as mentioned by others, is the racing itself. I don't think anyone would be comfortable in saying that both games are fine in this department.
I can't believe that after all these years, this issue hasn't been resolved or at least addressed in a serious manner.
I understand that these games are more about the cars than the race itself, but this kind of philosophy has gone on for far too long.

The focus on simulating the cars was a by-product of the nature of console evolution to be quite frank. It was enough to wow people with ever more accurate car models and more believable car simulation, but in the end these aspects got better, while the actual racing got more sterile and detached the more graphics and physics evolved.

It's like the uncanny valley but with racing/cars. The more realistic they look/behave, the more I notice the things that are missing, lacking.

Aguirre

no car sim has really nailed the sound of engines. they're so variable its probably nigh on impossible to capture the sound of them.gta4 sound effects are so terrible. the muscle cars should really roar... but theyre like... well you probably know... lackluster.

or what about a regenerative health bar? and perks too

If not fatal, other injuries would be good in a career mode.

In sports games like FIFA, your players can break limbs and be forced to miss games and seasons.

I don't think I've ever seen that in a racing game. Even though it happens in real racing.

FordGTGuy

Banned
no car sim has really nailed the sound of engines. they're so variable its probably nigh on impossible to capture the sound of them.gta4 sound effects are so terrible. the muscle cars should really roar... but theyre like... well you probably know... lackluster.

Buy Forza 4, get a good set of headphones, put the setting for engine sound bias in settings, turn down ambient and tire sounds and turn up engine sounds and turn off music.

Muscle cars sound damn good in Forza 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHBnDsEcfBM

Cobra R @ 3:09.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kWov6jYVKM

Plymouth Cuda @ 0:40

Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt @ 3:39

I would hate that since ai is not perfect and more than once it cost me to crash , hell i can even see people making files just to target people that put hours of work into there files .
Truth is that no matter what you do it's just a game and you can't put fear of death into people , not to mention losing everything would piss huge amount of people off .

Mascot

In sports games like FIFA, your players can break limbs and be forced to miss games and seasons.

I don't think I've ever seen that in a racing game. Even though it happens in real racing.

Not in recent FIFAs, certainly. Did they do this in older versions? Injuries in FIFA now only seem to last a few minutes.

Do you guys think Forza and GT should adopt flags(like in real racing) for career mode?

Absolutely yes, safety car, penalties, and all the rules that make sense (just don't adopt F1 bullshit)

I hope by human drama they don't mean simulated on screen effects like blacking out in collisions and stuff...

Yeah that isn't drama, that's intrusive. But placing the camera on a physically simulated skeleton, simulating driver injuries/death, penalties and AI that doesn't drive on rails being completely braindead would already go a long way.

Aguirre

Buy Forza 4, get a good set of headphones, put the setting for engine sound bias in settings, turn down ambient and tire sounds and turn up engine sounds and turn off music.

Muscle cars sound damn good in Forza 4.

they're okay, probably some of the better attempts. certainly better than gt5 attempts.

read this: http://www.tracktimeaudio.com/?p=322

its a study of the sound effects in racing games.

HD video comparisons of: dirt, grid, pgr, forza, gt, f1, nfs, etc of tyre screeching, road noise, acceleration, driving past fixed cameras, etc.

I think that may be because of what it'd mean for a racing game. The only way for it to have an impact would be for your drivers death to also mean that you in-game progress dies. Otherwise it's just like any other game where a character can die and you simply respawn without any repercussions. And even that wouldn't be so bad restart because most games these days are short. Completing something like GT takes a long time.

Forza's sound is way too overblown. Loud does not automatically mean it's realistic.

No matter where the camera is, it sounds like your face is on the engine.

Not only that, but it's too clean. Like it was recorded in someone's living room, rather than outside.

I think that may be because of what it'd mean for a racing game. The only way for it to have an impact would be for your drivers death to also mean that you in-game progress dies. Otherwise it's just like any other game where a character can die and you simply respawn without any repercussions. And even that wouldn't be so bad restart because most games these days are short. Completing something like GT takes a long time.

Well i'd like the definition of "completing" a racing game changes dramatically.

Having a real character and the real consequence of permanent death would make a multi year career all the more fullfilling. The bragging rights online would be a lot higher for something like that, as it would be uniquely yours, not just a "I completed the same exact career mode like you" checklist.

TEH-CJ

Banned
So GT7 on ps4 should have decent sound effects if ram allocation was the main issue...right?

no excuses with 8gb of ram.......

FordGTGuy

Banned
Forza's sound is way too overblown. Loud does not automatically mean it's realistic.

Not only that, but it's too clean. Like it was recorded in someone's living room, rather than outside.

You clearly haven't driven very many cars in Forza 4.

Watch the video below and learn a thing or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I07SwrI89Hs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J45iWxBvLBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6mYYLrODAU

So GT7 on ps4 should have decent sound effects if ram allocation was the main issue...right?

no excuses with 8gb of ram.......

I'm sorry but it's not RAM allocation, there are car in GT5 with good sound already so it should be perfectly possible for the rest.

Bottom-line they ported the sounds from GT4 and didn't take the effort to dyno every car for the game.

Mascot

FM definitely needs more layers adding or improving (prop shaft whine, transmission clunks, chassis scuttle, turbos spooling, suspension complaining - again, see Shift for reference), but the engine audio sounds pretty damn good to me.

How would you describe GT5's audio by comparison?

Forza's sound suffers from the same thing that Shift's did. It replicates what a microphone hears, and not the human ear.

Too blown out and loud.

Also, FordGTGuy. I've seen you calling several people out for being GT fanboys that can't see faults (Including me). But you are just as bad, but with Forza :/ Pot, kettle, black. Just wanted to point that out.

Top Bottom