• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

FordGTGuy

Banned
Forza's sound suffers from the same thing that Shift's did. It replicates what a microphone hears, and not the human ear.

Too blown out and loud.

Also, FordGTGuy. I've seen you calling several people out for being GT fanboys that can't see faults (Including me). But you are just as bad, but with Forza :/ Pot, kettle, black. Just wanted to point that out.

So you sit here and call out Forza and I'm not allowed to defend it or I'm automatically a fanboy??

Really?

I love all racing games....

Of course you still haven't watched or paid any attention to the videos I posted, the guy from Turn 10 points out that a human ear hears differently from a microphone and the techniques they used to counter-act this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
GT5 is the best game of this generation hand down,

If by "Best," you mean "most disappointing after five-seven years worth of hype." Then, yes, it's "best."

GT5 was an utter disappointment, and I say this as someone that still owns a copy of it. The fact they squandered the Top Gear license (and let Forza do MORE with it) is shocking. They had the hype for being the first "console race sim" having the track and license and they... didn't do shit besides three special races (that are horseshit) and have the track (and rumored to have a day/night/weather change that was removed thanks to that special debug menu in arcade mode)

Point-to-points are in... but are awful.

Race graphics are hilarious on anything not cockpit view. And if you're racing the X1 in the rain you can see it's a camera effect that "rotates" where the car is turning instead of having rain physics throw the rain off.

brotkasten said:
I've played some GT5 yesterday and checked out the new DLC cars in the car dealer. I couldn't believe my eyes when I say that they added 6(!) new premium Skylines and yet they still don't have cars like Fairlady Z28 or the Supra Mark IV.

Don't you know? GT is the "real Skyline simulator."

Well i'd like the definition of "completing" a racing game changes dramatically.

Having a real character and the real consequence of permanent death would make a multi year career all the more fullfilling. The bragging rights online would be a lot higher for something like that, as it would be uniquely yours, not just a "I completed the same exact career mode like you" checklist.

I don't disagree. In previous GT threads we've talked about how they could improve the GT mode. I think a common feeling is that they should create proper racing seasons within that mode. Do something where you try to work your way up the ranks. They already have karts in the series now, and that's where a lot of drivers start out. So start from there and try to create the feel of being a driver while working their way up.

Another idea would be to take the Grand Tour mode in GT5's Special Events and figure out how to evolve that into a full mode. In general the Special Events had a completely different feel compared to the GT mode. So they might have something there if they decide to flesh it out.

Well i'd like the definition of "completing" a racing game changes dramatically.

Having a real character and the real consequence of permanent death would make a multi year career all the more fullfilling. The bragging rights online would be a lot higher for something like that, as it would be uniquely yours, not just a "I completed the same exact career mode like you" checklist.

Then you losing everything because of ai or some stupid online jackass .
It just not going to work for a game that some people put 100 plus hours into just to lose everything .

So you sit here and call out Forza and I'm not allowed to defend it or I'm automatically a fanboy??

I was just mentioning as a favour, to save you from embarrassment if you do it again.

A fanboy calling another person a fanboy is pretty silly, and I've seen you do it multiple times.

Aguirre

If by "Best," you mean "most disappointing after five-seven years worth of hype." Then, yes, it's "best."

GT5 was an utter disappointment, and I say this as someone that still owns a copy of it. The fact they squandered the Top Gear license (and let Forza do MORE with it) is shocking. They had the hype for being the first "console race sim" having the track and license and they... didn't do shit besides three special races (that are horseshit) and have the track (and rumored to have a day/night/weather change that was removed thanks to that special debug menu in arcade mode)

Race graphics are hilarious on anything not cockpit view. And if you're racing the X1 in the rain you can see it's a camera effect that "rotates" where the car is turning instead of having rain physics throw the rain off.

i had to rewind my face when i read this

FordGTGuy

Banned
The moment a car racing sim sounds start sounding like this then I will be impressed. We are so far off real sounds its not even funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SccjaskA1n8&feature=related

Please

I want a car in a game to sound like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0AtcM_JWI

I was just mentioning as a favour, to save you from embarrassment if you do it again.

A fanboy calling another person a fanboy is pretty silly, and I've seen you do it multiple times.

I call 'em like I see them.

Say what you will but I won't sit by and watch people shit on a good game and say nothing and that includes GT5.

Show me a single post I've made where I've lied in order to make GT5 look bad? There is a difference between proper criticism and fanboy behavior.

Did Top Gear not do some type of deal with Forza that mess up GT .
I could be remembering wrong or just forum gossip but certain things were plan for GT but after the Forza deal there were no where to be found .

Mascot

I'm sorry but it's not RAM allocation, there are car in GT5 with good sound already so it should be perfectly possible for the rest.

Bottom-line they ported the sounds from GT4 and didn't take the effort to dyno every car for the game.

My bad, sorry. I was sure I read that fairly recently (might even have been in this thread).

FordGTGuy

Banned
I bet you are one of those people that still shout "PS3 has no games!".

There are hundreds of other cars in GT5. Literally.

Sure there are Mazdas too...

but seriously GT is lacking in most other manufacturers, especially companies like Ferrari.

Your game should not have 56 Skylines and 19 Ferraris.

saladine1

The moment a car racing sim sounds start sounding like this then I will be impressed. We are so far off real sounds its not even funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SccjaskA1n8&feature=related

Have to admit, that things is fucking brutal!

Funnily enough, games like NFS Pro Street capture the authenticity of these sounds more than most. The stage 3 turbo with it's turbo spool and blow off valve along with the stage 4 racing dog box whine sounds incredible.
Imo, the blow off valve effect is the best implementation i've heard in a game..

Perkel

Banned

For me it is also game of generation.

Sure it has flaws but core of game is simply the best.
-You can rant about UI, standard cars being worse than premium or to many skylines but when it comes to actual driving part there isn't really any other game that can deliver so much fun simply by driving your car from dawn till dusk on N-Ring.
-You can rant about mediacore quality rain particles but they did deliver deep weather system which is far more important for gameplay than mediacore particles.
-They delivered proper Online which is still fucking good with private lobbies and they upgraded it overtime.
-They delivered track generator, sure only 4 themes but i drove a lot of amazing track online with friends.
-They doubled amount of cars in race to 16 from 8 in GT4 which is important for gameplay.
- You can rant about lack of races in campain mode but they did deliver weekly 2-3 new races for last 2 years. Drift challenges, time trials with leaderboards
- They introduced to GT damage model first time ever which is procedural. Sure it is not hot nor it does its job well but still it is damage model and they can improve that in next GT.

GT4 to GT5 is superb evolution.

FordGTGuy

Banned
WOW! Sounds like my 10 years old lawn mower! LOL

Ok here is a lesson for Ferrow, the above is what a real fanboy statement looks like.

QKEjMBM.gif

It's when someone distorts the truth and lies in order to make the game they prefer seem superior, also another key part of being a fanboy is to never allow what you prefer to have faults.

Which I've shown earlier, I'm pretty easily capable of point out the faults of Forza.

Polyphony

I've enjoyed reading all the insightful comments in here and came to the conclusion that the topics in this thread generally follow a certain trend and loop in this manner:

Graphics
But Photomode!
In-game
Gifs
Jaggies & AA
Shaders
Standards lolz
Outsourcing
Model accuracy
Track accuracy
Trees and crowds
Frame-rate and tearing
Patch support
Sound
Vacuum cleaners
Weather effects
PGR
Night racing
Horizon
Piss filter
IQ
Physics
Tire model
What tire model

Is there anything missing?

FordGTGuy

Banned
I've enjoyed reading all the insightful comments in here and came to the conclusion that the topics in this thread generally follow a certain trend and loop in this manner:

Graphics
But Photomode!
In-game
Gifs
Jaggies & AA
Shaders
Standards lolz
Outsourcing
Model accuracy
Track accuracy
Trees and crowds
Frame-rate and tearing
Patch support
Sound
Vacuum cleaners
Weather effects
PGR
Night racing
Horizon
Piss filter
IQ
Physics
Tire model
What tire model

Is there anything missing?

Put fanboy on the end that's the name of the current chapter.

Let me know when tyre pressures, unsprung weights, torque steer and many many other things are even simulated in GT before talking physics.

Unfortunately people believe more difficult = more realistic.

It's not necessarily the methodology of how the end result is achieved, as long as it's achieved. That is the point of a simulation. In the end, GT5 has better physics. Yes, it severely lacks in tire calculations, but in the end, it is still a step above Forza.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
It's not necessarily the methodology of how the end result is achieved, as long as it's achieved. That is the point of a simulation. In the end, GT5 has better physics. Yes, it severely lacks in tire calculations, but in the end, it is still a step above Forza.

No, just no.

GT5 has extremely basic and very very unrealistic tyre physics and tyres are the only part of the car that makes contact with the road. Different tyre qualities are nothing more than grip multipliers. You can't adjust air pressures even though it's one of the most basic yet fundamental aspects of setting up a car when used in racing. Wheel weights mean nothing and thus unsprung weight means nothing which is bad for both tyre and suspension physics.

Not even going to go in depth on how much better Forzas aero modelling is or the lack of torque steer in GT5.

GT5 is just an unrealistically hard game to play.

How long until someone quotes lap time comparisons?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
If GT5 doesn't have realistic physics, then why has it been used to train drivers for the last two years? :/

Was there ever a Forza Academy?

lol, GT academy is a marketing stunt.

It's not used to train anyone and just lets people with natural talent yet no background make it into the racing world.

I should ask Scaff for the link to the article where someone learned how to drive fast around the nurburgring on GT5, tried it in real life and ended up in hospital for weeks.

RankoSD

FM definitely needs more layers adding or improving (prop shaft whine, transmission clunks, chassis scuttle, turbos spooling, suspension complaining - again, see Shift for reference), but the engine audio sounds pretty damn good to me.

How would you describe GT5's audio by comparison?

Both games are still way off from the real stuff.
I mean, they both look very life like, they both handle very good (although we all know who takes the edge in both of those departments), but all that is still ruined by the sound.

Forza (while a bit exaggerated) sounds ok while you're driving but is ruined by the 8-bit NES-like shifting sounds, and replays, oh man, I want to puke just listening them doing downshift...

GT5 sounds very bland, monotone, it doesn't sound like you're stressing the engine (maybe because they recorded them while the car was in neutral, I don't know), there is no "screaming" involved, but on the other hand, it sounds solid on the replays, clearly there is a difference in the sound while the car is passing by the camera (you), there is engine noise, then there is exhaust noise, very good.

Now, tire squeal, both games need more variety, they are still using the same sound for every situation, same goes for the turbos, gearbox needs more variety, exhaust notes needs more variety, just play any rally video and you'll hear what I mean...

The sounds needs to reflect from the environment, if they are coming from the distance then they need to be ......"squashed" because they are traveling trough a medium called air, and not to just turn the volume down.

I know I'm asking a lot but the progress seems to be very slow, I still didn't get goosebumps from any sound of any racing game.

I'll put a very good compilation of the sounds that was done by the Motorvision show on DSF long time ago (not very good quality, can't find the original):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0BuVtdIUrQ

Just listen to that variety of the sounds I was talking about.

Also, 0:33s that BMW burnout and the sound of it leaving, is like the best thing ever.

FordGTGuy

Banned
If GT5 doesn't have realistic physics, then why has it been used to train drivers for the last two years? :/

Was there ever a Forza Academy?

You know just because some people prefer Forza doesn't mean GT doesn't have realistic physics?

What's wrong with you guys it's like if someone says Forza has better physics you seem to think they mean GT5 is arcadey which no one here is saying.

how much have you played GT5..?

Quite a lot... how much have you played Forza 4?

GT5 feels more fluid but it has a disconnect that Forza 4 doesn't. In Forza you can feel your tires struggle to hold grip as the tire walls bend and the tread grasps the pavement.

Forza 4 didn't just put together some crappy tire engine they built it on data from Pirelli with everything from race slicks to old school tall walls.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Now, tire squeal, both games need more variety, they are still using the same sound for every situation, same goes for the turbos, gearbox needs more variety, exhaust notes needs more variety, just play any rally video and you'll hear what I mean...

I suggest you really listen to Forza. The amount of information you can get just from tyres noises is staggering.
The sounds needs to reflect from the environment, if they are coming from the distance then they need to be ......"squashed" because they are traveling trough a medium called air, and not to just turn the volume down.

While basic the sounds in Forza do change depending on where you are. Open areas are different from tunnels and they are different from ares with dense buildings and areas with large crowds are also different.

I should ask Scaff for the link to the article where someone learned how to drive fast around the nurburgring on GT5, tried it in real life and ended up in hospital for weeks.

That doesn't say anything about GT5's physics engine. Anyone that plays a game then tries to drive exactly like they did in that game on a real track is just asking to go to the hospital. There's no real worries in a game. You crash and then you restart the race. Games will let you be brave in corners by taking them at a higher speed and a higher gear than anyone would have the heart to do in real life. But that doesn't say anything about how realistic or unrealistic a game is. That corner may very well be possible to take at a higher speed than most drivers do, but no one is willing to risk their life to find out.

Mascot

As a neutral observer who appreciates the flaws and triumphs of both games I have to say I appreciate the progressive analogue feedback that Forza's tyre model gives me compared to the more digital grip/no grip feel I get when playing GT. I can haptically (is that a word?) predict the moment of slip in FM, whereas GT often seems to catch me out.

(Fanatec GT2 wheel user, btw)

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
That corner may very well be possible to take at a higher speed than most drivers do, but no one is willing to risk their life to find out.

Real racing drivers do it every time they go to work...

Don't really understand what the point of this video is. Are you saying GT doesn't have accurate suspension simulation?

When one of, if not the most knowledgeable person in the world on the subject says it's basic, you should really sit up and listen.

You clearly haven't driven very many cars in Forza 4.

Watch the video below and learn a thing or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I07SwrI89Hs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J45iWxBvLBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6mYYLrODAU

The first video, the guy says they use a licensed post processing distortion effect.

PD use the same method to record. Their problem? They import the sounds directly into the game without editing it.

No, just no.

GT5 has extremely basic and very very unrealistic tyre physics and tyres are the only part of the car that makes contact with the road. Different tyre qualities are nothing more than grip multipliers. You can't adjust air pressures even though it's one of the most basic yet fundamental aspects of setting up a car when used in racing. Wheel weights mean nothing and thus unsprung weight means nothing which is bad for both tyre and suspension physics.

Not even going to go in depth on how much better Forzas aero modelling is or the lack of torque steer in GT5.

I don't think you can read. I already said GT5's tire physics sucks. But in this comparison, Fanboy wars GT5 vs Forza, GT5's physics end up on top. The methodoligy of achieving it doesn't matter as long as it's done.

It's like Forza's sounds vs GT's. PD records their sounds raw, but imports them raw. Turn 10 processed them with a distortion filter. And you know what? It gets a better result. It doesn't matter HOW it's fucking done as long as it's done.

tranciful

Sure there are Mazdas too...

but seriously GT is lacking in most other manufacturers, especially companies like Ferrari.

Your game should not have 56 Skylines and 19 Ferraris.

You claim to know how game development works but it's painfully obvious that you don't.

No, just no.

I think it's typical for Forza fans to have unrealistic expectations for physics -- it also seems to be more common for Forza fans to talk positively about Shift and other non sims. Forza builds the physics to fit gamer expectations while GT builds physics to fit reality -- I'm not saying GT5's physics are perfect (though I'd definitely argue they're more realistic); I'm merely talking intent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPJxFoiis68

Forza makes you feel like a movie star who can pull off crazy maneuvers with little effort -- GT5 makes you feel like a racecar driver.

Real racing drivers do it every time they go to work...

Of course they do, but my point is that you can almost always push things even further than people may have thought previously. Events like X Games show that every year. Several years ago a backflip on a dirt bike was seen as unthinkable. Now it's so common that it's almost boring. All you need is one person to show that it's possible to do without ending up in a hospital (or worse), then everyone does it. One driver may end up taking a corner at a higher speed, then every driver will start doing it because it'd be necessary to keep up.

A game gives you more freedom to experiment. You aren't risking your life if you try to take that corner at a higher speed. You aren't risking a multimillion dollar car for hat higher speed. You're just risking a few seconds before a restart if it doesn't work out how you thought it would. But you can keep trying over and over again until you get that extra second due to not downshifting. That's a luxury that doesn't exist in the real world.

FordGTGuy

Banned
You claim to know how game development works but it's painfully obvious that you don't.

Seeing as you have no idea what I know about game development you cannot fairly judge my understanding of it.

I think it's typical for Forza fans to have unrealistic expectations for physics -- it also seems to be more common for Forza fans to talk positively about Shift and other non sims. Forza builds the physics to fit gamer expectations while GT builds physics to fit reality -- I'm not saying GT5's physics are perfect (though I'd definitely argue they're more realistic); I'm merely talking intent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPJxFoiis68

Forza makes you feel like a movie star who can pull off crazy maneuvers with little effort -- GT5 makes you feel like a racecar driver.

I didn't know a person could talk out their ass that much....

Turn off all assists on Forza 4 and put on simulation steering and jump in a prototype car and try to "pull off crazy maneuvers with little effort" you'll find yourself in a wall in no time.

I'm sorry but I haven't seen a single person in this thread talk up Shift physics, Shift physics are down right terrible.

Dibbz

GT5 doesn't have a tire physics engine like Forza does that's what the video is showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4QG3drCFjE

Watch the tires in the above video.

OK tyre deformation. Why couldn't you just say that? Saying tyre physics would imply that GT doesn't actually calculate anything to do with the tyres which is false. Use the proper terminology next time instead of trying to look smart by sticking the word engine on the end of things.

Hanmik

Quite a lot... how much have you played Forza 4?

GT5 feels more fluid but it has a disconnect that Forza 4 doesn't. In Forza you can feel your tires struggle to hold grip as the tire walls bend and the tread grasps the pavement.

Forza 4 didn't just put together some crappy tire engine they built it on data from Pirelli with everything from race slicks to old school tall walls.

I haven´t played any Forza game ever. sorry..

but I just thought your PSN was the same as your Live Gamertag, and according to the trophies on that profile, you have like 8 GT5 trophies.. I just think that´s a little on the low side.. just saying.

FordGTGuy

Banned
You can't!

Actually yes you can, they released a update and fixed the steering glitch.

Give me a break the suspensions in GT5 are EASILY the physics aspect that dumps on Forza's, just like how the tires on Forza dump on GT's.

Instead of assuming the purpose of the video why don't you read my post, It was to point out the tire physics.

OK tyre deformation. Why couldn't you just say that? Saying tyre physics would imply that GT doesn't actually calculate anything to do with the tyres which is false. Use the proper terminology next time instead of trying to look smart by sticking the word engine on the end of things.

GT5's tire engine is severely lacking in comparison unfortunately.

I haven´t played any Forza game ever. sorry..

but I just thought your PSN was the same as your Live Gamertag, and according to the trophies on that profile, you have like 8 GT5 trophies.. I just think that´s a little on the low side.. just saying.

I mostly ended up playing it on a friends profile after my PS3 broke a month out of warranty....

Mascot

We were doing so well earlier today - everyone in both camps seemed to be getting on like old friends.

Do I really need to bust out the guitar again?

Top Bottom