• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I think it's typical for Forza fans to have unrealistic expectations for physics -- it also seems to be more common for Forza fans to talk positively about Shift and other non sims. Forza builds the physics to fit gamer expectations while GT builds physics to fit reality -- I'm not saying GT5's physics are perfect (though I'd definitely argue they're more realistic); I'm merely talking intent.

Haven't even mentioned Shift once but calling it an arcade game? lol...

I have been driving full sized cars to their limit since I was 12 years old (2 years before I even became a gamer many many more before I even started played racing games) and Forza handles very much like how I would expect. From the slight lean and 4 wheel drift you get in more classic chassis to the much more rock steadiness of more modern cars despite weighing more. The beautiful on the limit slip you get when you're tyres are on the very edge of losing traction.

In reality, high powered rear drive cars do not just go in straight lines when launching with wheelspin.

In reality front wheel drive cars don't just go straight under any and all forms of acceleration.

In reality overwhelming the front tyres makes the car plough forward instead of maintaining cornering speeds.

In reality lowering unsprung weight greatly effects suspension performance.

I could go on and on and on about areas GT5 completely fails to come close to any sort of reality.

Oh look, that video where he corrects the slide in Forza but turns into it in GT and regardless of that fact, hitting the grass doesn't instantly send you into an uncontrollable death spin in real life.

Forza makes you feel like a movie star who can pull off crazy maneuvers with little effort -- GT5 makes you feel like a racecar driver.

With assists on, yea, Forza does. Try turning them off.

Chance of you even understanding what's happening in that video, nil next to none.

I haven´t played any Forza game ever. sorry..

but I just thought your PSN was the same as your Live Gamertag, and according to the trophies on that profile, you have like 8 GT5 trophies.. I just think that´s a little on the low side.. just saying.

While you are at it, how many achievements have GT fans racked up on Forza?

FordGTGuy

Banned
which ones stay on in forza 4? I know there was steering assists in 3 you could not disable but they added the option into 4.

There was a steering wheel glitch in Forza 4 that was fixed in a title update.

http://youtu.be/UmJLyL2JXNA

Some of that magic drift shit sprinkled on those tires.

If you're going to join this discussion at least know what you're talking about.

This was a steering glitch that was fixed in a title update and is no longer in Forza 4...

Haven't even mentioned Shift once but calling it an arcade game? lol...

I have been driving full sized cars to their limit since I was 12 years old (2 years before I even became a gamer many many more before I even started played racing games) and Forza handles very much like how I would expect. From the slight lean and 4 wheel drift you get in more classic chassis to the much more rock steadiness of more modern cars despite weighing more. The beautiful on the limit slip you get when you're tyres are on the very edge of losing traction.

In reality, high powered rear drive cars do not just go in straight lines when launching with wheelspin.

In reality front wheel drive cars don't just go straight under any and all forms of acceleration.

In reality overwhelming the front tyres makes the car plough forward instead of maintaining cornering speeds.

In reality lowering unsprung weight greatly effects suspension performance.

I could go on and on and on about areas GT5 completely fails to come close to any sort of reality.

GT lacks any "torque" effects, which sucks ass.

I bet you are one of those people that still shout "PS3 has no games!".

There are hundreds of other cars in GT5. Literally.

I'm talking about priorities. The game has, what? 50+ Skylines? Premium, standard, modified, stock. What on earth makes the nth version of the R32, R33, R34 or R35 so much more special than other iconic Japanese cars like the S30, AE86 or Mark IV?

DaWkn1I.jpg

kNUWuCL.jpg

PHUSMmn.jpg

Instead we got

bzleP8t.jpg

Nekm7tG.jpg

gT4vHTI.jpg

in all its glory detail.

Because, yeah! Finally more tuned Skylines!

e: Hell, out of all Skylines in the game, why on earth isn't the 2000GT-R a premium model?

FordGTGuy

Banned
GT lacks any "torque" effects, which sucks ass.

Which makes the idea of Forza being easy to drive funny because the torque in Forza is what will take you out the quickest if you're not careful.

I'm talking about priorities. The game has, what? 50+ Skylines? Premium, standard, modified, stock. What on earth makes the nth version of the R32, R33, R34 or R35 so much more special than other iconic Japanese cars like the S30, AE86 or Mark IV?

Instead we got

bzleP8t.jpg

Nekm7tG.jpg

gT4vHTI.jpg

in all its glory detail.

Although I agree, those skylines look hot.

YEPCgfF.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fS2j3sfTAo

I love the SuperGT Skyline though sounds, drives and looks like the devil.

Instead we got

in all its glory detail.

e: Hell, out of all Skylines in the game, why on earth isn't the 2000GT-R a premium model?

Keep in mind PD has an exclusive partnership with Nissan... the GT Academy is for the Nissan team and all new Nissan cars gets thrown at PD for imaging. It's free advertising for Nissan, free cars for PD.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm fucking tired of these Nissan's, but they do get them for "free." So it's hard to hate on them... If they don't show a SIGNIFICANT increase in western cars in GT6 I'll be legit upset.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm fucking tired of these Nissan's, but they do get them for "free." So it's hard to hate on them... If they don't show a SIGNIFICANT increase in western cars in GT6 I'll be legit upset.

That's no excuse for, what is it? 61% of the entire car list originating from Japan alone?

FordGTGuy

Banned
That's no excuse for, what is it? 61% of the entire car list originating from Japan alone?

I'd be willing to push that up over 70% actually but in their defense Forza also used to be quite Asian biased too. Forza used to have a lot more Japanese tuners like GT5 does in it's car list but they've been slowing going away in each game.

Let me know when tyre pressures, unsprung weights, torque steer and many many other things are even simulated in GT before talking physics.

Unfortunately people believe more difficult = more realistic.

Ok first off, simply because Forza is monitoring and displaying all of those data points on your screen doesn't mean they are being rendered accurately or affecting the handling model in a meaningful way. You can make a racing sim that displays real time moisture droplets coming out of the exhaust pipe but that doesn't mean the engine power response is dynamically adjusting to humidity and barometric pressure let alone actually changes the end product of the driving experience. You are assuming a lot by just seeing those numbers on the screen. I was really impressed when I first saw that real time overlay in Forza 4, but the more I drove the cars I realized the numbers pretty much meant little to the final feel. The majority of those numbers are window dressing in my opinion. If you want to see a company who actual lives and dies by those numbers and makes a meaningful tire model with precise tire pressures, wall flex, unsprung weight, etc, but doesn't put them on your screen like minority report, check out iRacing.

You are right about the torque steer, I would like that modeled in GT games, and their drive train modeling in general is kind of crap. But that is one aspect of the drive train, not the entirety of the "physics." It doesn't matter how much is being rendered if it isn't all being rendered accurately. Not that GT5 is necessarily always more accurate and it is certainly not the most accurate, but the end result of whatever data points Forza is trying to convince you it is accurately modeling does not deliver with the end product of their feel of their driving model, physics, whatever you want to call the overall end product of all the systems working together. I do credit Forza for at least having the ambition to put those numbers out there with the intention to maybe someday accurately model them in a meaningful way. I still don't get any feedback from the car with half of the GT5 part upgrades that have been the same since GT1.

To give an example of the gulf in feel between the two games, driving a production car, especially 80's era or earlier vehicles in Forza and the feeling of slip angles, TTO and TBO is just not there at all, which one would assume it should if it really was accurately rendering all of those data points.

Take the Ferrari 512BB stock out in GT5 and then something like the 365 GTB4 stock in Forza. It won't be a 1:1 comparison but the driving feel I am describing should be obtainable with any of the older, larger slip angle cars. I just happen to love Ferrari's so might as well use those. I never get that feeling in Forza where I am able to get my car into that perfect slip angle and steer with my feet more than my hands. I always ended up feeling I was fighting against the game, like it wanted to get me out of that sublime slid. Kind of the same way high power, high aero down force cars in GT games still feel too sticky/grippy and "on rails". They toned it down a lot for GT5, but it is still there.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I'd be willing to push that up over 70% actually but in their defense Forza also used to be quite Asian biased too. Forza used to have a lot more Japanese tuners like GT5 does in it's car list but they've been slowing going away in each game.

FM4 has a extremely balanced car list.

Who's got that pie chart comparing the 2?

Instead we got

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/bzleP8t.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/Nekm7tG.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/gT4vHTI.jpg[/IMG]

in all its glory detail.

That doesn't have anything to do with priorities. In those cases they're taking an existing premium and adding body mods to it. That isn't going to take them a lot of time in comparison to building a new car from the ground up.

With that said, Kaz has acknowledged that it's a problem. Here's what he said

And it's true that there is a lot of variations depending on the model, and that's probably because we've been affected strongly by automotive culture in Japan from the 1990's. The huge number of variations there were in the R32 Skyline and the Mazda MX5's, are prime examples. Back then there was meaning to each of the fine differences, and the selection of which model variation to drive was important to the user. Looking at it now I also agree that there's too many.

tranciful

That doesn't have anything to do with priorities. In those cases they're taking an existing premium and adding body mods to it. That isn't going to take them a lot of time in comparison to building a new car from the ground up.

They'll never get this. Same reason they think having standard cars took away from the premium cars in a meaningful way. They just have no idea how development works.

Ok first off, simply because Forza is monitoring and displaying all of those data points on your screen doesn't mean they are being rendered accurately or affecting the handling model in a meaningful way. You can make a racing sim that displays real time moisture droplets coming out of the exhaust pipe but that doesn't mean the engine power response is dynamically adjusting to humidity and barometric pressure let alone actually changes the end product of the driving experience. You are assuming a lot by just seeing those numbers on the screen. I was really impressed when I first saw that real time overlay in Forza 4, but the more I drove the cars I realized the numbers pretty much meant little to the final feel. The majority of those numbers are window dressing in my opinion. If you want to see a company who actual lives and dies by those numbers and makes a meaningful tire model with precise tire pressures, wall flex, unsprung weight, etc, but doesn't put them on your screen like minority report, check out iRacing.

You are right about the torque steer, I would like that modeled in GT games, and their drive train modeling in general is kind of crap. But that is one aspect of the drive train, not the entirety of the "physics." It doesn't matter how much is being rendered if it isn't all being rendered accurately. Not that GT5 is necessarily always more accurate and it is certainly not the most accurate, but the end result of whatever data points Forza is trying to convince you it is accurately modeling does not deliver with the end product of their feel of their driving model, physics, whatever you want to call the overall end product of all the systems working together. I do credit Forza for at least having the ambition to put those numbers out there with the intention to maybe someday accurately model them in a meaningful way. I still don't get any feedback from the car with half of the GT5 part upgrades that have been the same since GT1.

To give an example of the gulf in feel between the two games, driving a production car, especially 80's era or earlier vehicles in Forza and the feeling of slip angles, TTO and TBO is just not there at all, which one would assume it should if it really was accurately rendering all of those data points.

Take the Ferrari 512BB stock out in GT5 and then something like the 365 GTB4 stock in Forza. It won't be a 1:1 comparison but the driving feel I am describing should be obtainable with any of the older, larger slip angle cars. I just happen to love Ferrari's so might as well use those. I never get that feeling in Forza where I am able to get my car into that perfect slip angle and steer with my feet more than my hands. I always ended up feeling I was fighting against the game, like it wanted to get me out of that sublime slid. Kind of the same way high power, high aero down force cars in GT games still feel too sticky/grippy and "on rails". They toned it down a lot for GT5, but it is still there.

I don't see why people don't understand basically this whole post. It's not how it's done, as long as it is as close to "correct" as possible.

Of course, not doing it 100% accurately or by doing work around can create problems in different situations, but overall GT is on top. Even with the shitty tire physics and even without the torque steering/launching.

Description in the video: "forza4 is a great game, the best sim on the consoles"

Ouch.

I didn't know if he was being sarcastic or not, he's got some negative videos against' GT. Probably being impartial on the criticism but showing his preference of Forza?

EDIT: Looking at his page. Vast majority of his stuff is Forza stuff. He clearly likes the game, it wasn't sarcasm.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
This post, it's... it's almost too much.

Ok first off, simply because Forza is monitoring and displaying all of those data points on your screen doesn't mean they are being rendered accurately or affecting the handling model in a meaningful way.

I was going to stop here but I wanted more laughter.

You can make a racing sim that displays real time moisture droplets coming out of the exhaust pipe but that doesn't mean the engine power response is dynamically adjusting to humidity and barometric pressure let alone actually changes the end product of the driving experience.

Isn't GT the game that is continually championed because of it's apparent perfectionist attention to meaningless details?

You are assuming a lot by just seeing those numbers on the screen.

You're assuming I'm assuming.

I was really impressed when I first saw that real time overlay in Forza 4, but the more I drove the cars I realized the numbers pretty much meant little to the final feel.

You cearly didn't play much Forza than.

The majority of those numbers are window dressing in my opinion.

An opinion that contradicts fact

If you want to see a company who actual lives and dies by those numbers and makes a meaningful tire model with precise tire pressures, wall flex, unsprung weight, etc, but doesn't put them on your screen like minority report, check out iRacing.

Every number displayed in the telemetry (that I didn't even mention and was never ever refering too by the way) is taken directly from the physics engine. That is where those numbers and details come from.

You are right about the torque steer, I would like that modeled in GT games, and their drive train modeling in general is kind of crap. But that is one aspect of the drive train, not the entirety of the "physics."

It is entirely physics based. You can't just tell a simulator "Hey, have torque steer!". It has to come from everything in the physics model working together otherwise it won't be anywhere near realistic and FM4 absolutely nails it.

It doesn't matter how much is being rendered if it isn't all being rendered accurately.

Only one of the 2 games that are the subject of this thread as direct tyre data from pirelli while the other just uses different grades of tyres as simple grip modifiers.

Not that GT5 is necessarily always more accurate and it is certainly not the most accurate, but the end result of whatever data points Forza is trying to convince you it is accurately modeling does not deliver with the end product of their feel of their driving model, physics, whatever you want to call the overall end product of all the systems working together.

spoken exactly like someone who hasn't even played Forza

I do credit Forza for at least having the ambition to put those numbers out there with the intention to maybe someday accurately model them in a meaningful way. I still don't get any feedback from the car with half of the GT5 part upgrades that have been the same since GT1.
You're still assuming those numbers are drempt up and have no bearing on the actual physics.

TTO and TBO? I have no idea what you're trying to say. You sound like you're reading from the GT user manual. If you're talking about how old cars lean and four wheel drift, Forza absolutely nails that.

I never get that feeling in Forza where I am able to get my car into that perfect slip angle and steer with my feet more than my hands

Than you really haven't even played FM4 because I do it all the time in older cars with larger sidewall tyres and more primitive suspension systems.

DD

If GT5 doesn't have realistic physics, then why has it been used to train drivers for the last two years? :/

Was there ever a Forza Academy?

Yeah, that's why all the real life racing teams are throwing away their 40 million dollars simulators to play GT5 instead.

How old are you, BTW?

FordGTGuy

Banned

This is false all data that is shown in real time in telemetry is actually being experienced by the car. You can tell by the fact that you can feel the car being affected by it. In fact after making a comment like that it's hard to believe that you've ever even played Forza.

Forza built their engine with Pirelli, I'd say Pirelli lives and dies on tires also.

So because Forza shows you the data in real time it is fake? I don't understand this logic, please show proof and sources.

Also it's unfair to compare iRacing to Forza/GranTurismo for one Forza and Gran Turismo feature hundreds upon hundreds of cars including every day cars on street tires(which are not seen in iRacing.).

Torque steer is very important in order to create a realistic physics engine.

Dude where is your proof and sources that Forza is not accurately modeling their physics?

Read this:

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/underthehood2

Scroll down to Tires.

I don't see why people don't understand basically this whole post. It's not how it's done, as long as it is as close to "correct" as possible.

Of course, not doing it 100% accurately or by doing work around can create problems in different situations, but overall GT is on top. Even with the shitty tire physics and even without the torque steering/launching.

Give me a break your honestly saying that even though GT5's physics engine is missing fundamental components in creating a realistic simulation on top of having a slower physics engine altogether that it's somehow better?

Really?

Other than feeling more fluid and feeling better show me what features GT5 physic's engine has that Forza's is lacking?

Than you really haven't even played FM4 because I do it all the time in older cars with larger sidewall tyres and more primitive suspension systems.

Same, get into a Shelby Cobra 427 and you'll feel nothing but it.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Just here to thank bish for the entertainment. It's always the same guys too.
No need to thank me, I'm all about containing the craziness in one thread, just wind up and let it loose.

"Fuck you!"
"No, fuck you!"

...for YEARS ON END.

shinnn

Sure. Tire physics and what happens when you hit the pedal is an merely detail.

The important is the fake body roll and making the game harder with unreal grip to fits the "sim" category.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Sure. Tire physics and what happens when you hit the pedal is an merely detail.

The important is the fake body roll and making the game harder with unreal grip to fits the "sim" category.

Pretty much, bottom-line don't sit here trying to put GT5's physics engine on a pedestal it can't reach by itself. Torque steer is fundamental for realistically calculating how high power FWD and RWD cars handle under acceleration...

Give me a break your honestly saying that even though GT5's physics engine is missing fundamental components in creating a realistic simulation on top of having a slower physics engine altogether that it's somehow better?

Really?

Other than feeling more fluid and feeling better show me what features GT5 physic's engine has that Forza's is lacking?
I'd like to see how you know that.

Tanner Foust and Adrian fucking Newey vouched for the game. Of course it's not perfect, but surely Sony moneyhatted the shit out of these guys... like they do with other companies... right?

You can import the telemetry on your car into the game and it'll replay exactly correct in the game. You can't tell me that they slapped shit together and it happens to work out.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'd like to see how you know that.

Tanner Foust and Adrian fucking Newey vouched for the game. Of course it's not perfect, but surely Sony moneyhatted the shit out of these guys... like they do with other companies... right?

There are plenty of racers that vouched for Forza 4 too you know... they are racing games throwing around money for advertisement...

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/news/WIR_7-8

Tanner Foust vouches for monster energy drink also I heard....

Real race car drivers don't practice using games like GT5 or Forza......

You can import the telemetry on your car into the game and it'll replay exactly correct in the game. You can't tell me that they slapped shit together and it happens to work out.

Let me get this straight... a simulation game will correctly simulate telemetry put into it?

Wow that's amazing!

I just hope that telemetry doesn't have any multi-layered tire heat data, tire flex data or torque steer data because it's not really going to turn out great in a simulator that doesn't even simulate it...

Every number displayed in the telemetry (that I didn't even mention and was never ever refering too by the way) is taken directly from the physics engine. That is where those numbers and details come from.

Again, you seem to think just because their engine is generating these numbers, they effect the end result at all. There is absolutely nothing I have experienced while playing Forza 4 that even remotely hinted at a physics engine sophisticated enough to meaningfully render all of that data in the only thing that matters, the actual feel of the car! I don't see how you can't understand the difference between generating numbers on the screen and what the cars actually feel like.

It is entirely physics based. You can't just tell a simulator "Hey, have torque steer!". It has to come from everything in the physics model working together otherwise it won't be anywhere near realistic and FM4 absolutely nails it.

Sure you can, and I would bet the house on it that both games cut corners on the physics engines in different ways. It is why every racing sim doesn't feel exactly the same. If it was as easy as 100% pure physics, it would be down to computational power alone at this point, not design teams. We aren't there yet, and I hate to break it to you, Forza 4 is not the cutting edge of pure physics driven racing simulations, and neither is GT5. Buy yeah, look at all of those numbers on the screen!

Only one of the 2 games that are the subject of this thread as direct tyre data from pirelli while the other just uses different grades of tyres as simple grip modifiers.
Yeah and GT live records all of their sounds direct from all of the cars but we all know how that turned out. Once again, all that matters in the end product. It makes nice press releases, but again, the feel is not there.

You're still assuming those numbers are drempt up and have no bearing on the actual physics.
Never said they are dreamt up, simply that all of the means they are showing off, do not achieve the ends they hoped for.

TTO and TBO? I have no idea what you're trying to say. You sound like you're reading from the GT user manual. If you're talking about how old cars lean and four wheel drift, Forza absolutely nails that.
Hahah seriously? You are throwing out the fidelity of tire pressures, unsprung weight and how amazing it feels to "drive" those numbers in Forza 4 but you don't know what TTO and TBO is? I have a feeling you have never played either game with a wheel all of a sudden, which would explain a lot.

I learned about TTO and TBO, on the track at Watkins Glen, in actual cars, in real life, where I got my SCCAA license in addition to doing a Skippy 3 day racing school back in 2001. Fuck off with your condescending remarks.

Never said you couldn't drift them, just that it never felt remotely right in Forza.

Seriously, I think you just need to round out your knowledge of driving in general before you have a data-gasm about Forza's physics engine. Stop humiliating yourself with ,"omg all the lolz" posts. You make yourself seem petty and ignorant.

Edit: Ugh, seems we have some reading comprehension issues. Neither Forza or GT have top of the line physics engines. Both bite off more they can chew. GT says, hey look at all this bullshit over here. Forza says, ohh look at all this real time data over here! My point being it is all about the end in addition to the means. Driving cars in GT5 feels better than Forza 4. I don't give a fuck about the fidelity of the physics if you can't ever experince it in a meaningful way aka driving the cars in the game! Forza can have brunch with Pirelli every sunday for the next decade, I still don't get the end result of all of their work in Forza. The same way I don't know how GT can claim accurate sound recording every time and we get the Dyson 500.

Edit2: Drifting is not the same as a slip angle for the record. I don't "drift" old cars. I have fun with their larger slip angles. But you are right, it is more like drifting in Forza.

amar212

I can't even start to write anything comprehensive regarding physics and its correlation to steering wheels and force feedback effects because of:

1. nobody would even give a damn about that effort
2. many (unfortunately) would not know about what I am writing
3. it would just been rammed with other posts arguing about same things for 5 years now

So I will just copy/paste some links for everybody interested and be available for any discussion on that behalf. All of them are pretty lengthy reads but the subject is complicated. And I would really love to move this discussion to more mature and such and to talk about really important things regarding "simulations" - and that is physics and support for FFB peripherals.

About physics and such regarding GT5 and Forza

About the X360 issues with handling force feedback wheels (2009 thread related to Forza 3)

About X360/Forza issues regarding HID/XID

About Microsoft policy regarding HID/XID devices

About lots of similar subjects

There are plenty of racers that vouched for Forza 4 too you know... they are racing games throwing around money for advertisement...

Tanner Foust vouches for monster energy drink also I heard....

Real race car drivers don't practice using games like GT5 or Forza......
Yes, they use iRacing or an in-house engine.

When you don't have access to either, this is what you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31bH2t2X95g

Let me get this straight... a simulation game will correctly simulate telemetry put into it?

Wow that's amazing!

I just hope that telemetry doesn't have any multi-layered tire heat data, tire flex data or torque steer data because it's not really going to turn out great in a simulator that doesn't even simulate it...

We don't know how well the tire heat data is simulated in GT, or if there is in fact NO tire flex data, because the tire clearly flexes in the game, it just doesn't do it graphically. It might not do it as well as Forza, but hell, you can't right it off just because they don't show it graphically.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Yes, they use iRacing or an in-house engine.

When you don't have access to either, this is what you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31bH2t2X95g

We don't know how well the tire heat data is simulated in GT, or if there is in fact NO tire flex data, because the tire clearly flexes in the game, it just doesn't do it graphically. It might not do it as well as Forza, but hell, you can't right it off just because they don't show it graphically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab6AVJdI-ss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyzWmsqtzxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaT_KtyxToc

FordGTGuy

Banned
These aren't even remotely similar. First of all, that hockenheim on Forza is just way off, secondly the cars in Forza aren't reacting in any way remotely similar to the ones in real life.

Did you even watch those videos before you linked them? Jesus, man.

Dude really?

Neither GT4 or Forza 4 are going to act like their real life counter parts, in reality neither of them are even close.

You aren't doing yourself or Forza any favors

Coming from you that means little to nothing.

You guys are clearly biased against Forza to begin with so what's the point in even trying?

RwGaewI.jpg

ef6oO6I.jpg

ZPqi350.jpg

XXCOmer.jpg

bDmJVT5.jpg

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Again, you seem to think just because their engine is generating these numbers, they effect the end result at all. There is absolutely nothing I have experienced while playing Forza 4 that even remotely hinted at a physics engine sophisticated enough to meaningfully render all of that data in the only thing that matters, the actual feel of the car! I don't see how you can't understand the difference between generating numbers on the screen and what the cars actually feel like.

Another quality laugh.
I can easily feel the car hit the bump stops. I can feel the tyres moving on the rims. I can feel the car losing grip. I can feel when the tyres are cold and hot, under and over pressured. I can feel the lack of grip when the camber isn't set correctly. I can see the difference after tuning the gears to match the power and torque curves.

Every single one of those things is shown in the telemetry.

Sure you can, and I would bet the house on it that both games cut corners on the physics engines in different ways. It is why every racing sim doesn't feel exactly the same. If it was as easy as 100% pure physics, it would be down to computational power alone at this point, not design teams. We aren't there yet, and I hate to break it to you, Forza 4 is not the cutting edge of pure physics driven racing simulations, and neither is GT5. Buy yeah, look at all of those numbers on the screen!

Never said Forza was on the cutting edge of physics (well, it is close with tyre physics) but it's definitely there in terms of consoles.

Yeah and GT live records all of their sounds direct from all of the cars but we all know how that turned out. Once again, all that matters in the end product. It makes nice press releases, but again, the feel is not there.

GT recorded their cars without load on the system and simply placed similar sounds on other cars. That's why they are so extremely bad.

Never said they are dreamt up, simply that all of the means they are showing off, do not achieve the ends they hoped for.

You're saying the numbers mean nothing (which is completely incorrect) which might as well translate into "drempt up"

Hahah seriously? You are throwing out the fidelity of tire pressures, unsprung weight and how amazing it feels to "drive" those numbers in Forza 4 but you don't know what TTO and TBO is? I have a feeling you have never played either game with a wheel all of a sudden, which would explain a lot.

I learned about TTO and TBO, on the track at Watkins Glen, in actual cars, in real life, where I got my SCCAA license in addition to doing a Skippy 3 day racing school back in 2001. Fuck off with your condescending remarks.

Because knowning random acronyms totally means everything!

And you mustn't have learned how to deal with understeer, torque steer, driveline friction and many other things at watkins glen to think GT5 is somehow realistic.

Never said you couldn't drift them, just that it never felt remotely right in Forza.

You must have a very special copy of Forza 4 than.

Edit: Ugh, seems we have some reading comprehension issues. Neither Forza or GT have top of the line physics engines.

I don't think anyone has claimed Forza is top of the line (many have claimed such a ludicrous thing of GT5 however) but Forza is simply higher up the food chain than GT5.

These aren't even remotely similar. First of all, that hockenheim on Forza is just way off, secondly the cars in Forza aren't reacting in any way remotely similar to the ones in real life.

Massively differing fields of view completely skew these comparisons.

Add to that the whole "lack of fear" thing to the gameplay videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgxcHU1nGBQ
Standard FoV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmfVZwhrNI
Tighter FoV.

Old FM2 videos but the difference should be obvious.

I can easily feel the car hit the bump stops. I can feel the tyres moving on the rims. I can feel the car losing grip. I can feel when the tyres are cold and hot, under and over pressured. I can feel the lack of grip when the camber isn't set correctly. I can see the difference after tuning the gears to match the power and torque curves.

Because knowing random acronyms totally means everything!

And you mustn't have learned how to deal with understeer, torque steer, driveline friction and many other things at watkins glen to think GT5 is somehow realistic.

Ok, comments like these are the most confusing to me. You are saying that two of the most basic driving concepts after learning about under and over steer, trailing throttle over steer (TTO), and trailing brake over steer (TBO) are some how exotic acronyms but you are talking about tire roll across rims, bump stops, "drive line friction", tire pressures, etc. You talk about racing like a press release power point presentation. Unless you are explicitly talking about fine tuning a setup of a car for a specific track, the terms in which you describe your driving experiences in Forza 4 are bizzare and more, "from the manual" than anything I have said or would ever say.

I never raced FWD cars, so I never had to deal with torque steer much. The effects on RWD cars is negligible. I even complimented Forza on taking the time to model it.

A linear change of "hot" and "cold" tires is incredibly easy to convey in games, and both games do it. Doing it well, and modeling tire overheating, tread wear, multiple temps across the tread is insanely hard to do and every racing sim out there is trying in their own way to do it best. Again, I complimented Forza for at least showing the drivers these numbers, GT there are temps, but all we get visually is a color chart. However, my main thrust of this argument is also taking this in to account and determining how this feels to you the gamer/driver when you play the game. You can also set camber wrong in GT5 and burn up your tires or gain or lose grip. Same with gearing, torque curves and all of these other points you make. They are just basic car setup adjustments, nothing that amazing. I don't think either game does a great job with them. I have to make pretty gross adjustments in both to get a decent amount of in game feed back. Let's not even get into the placebo effects of tweaking setups, something that is unavoidable in life, let alone racing sims.

shinnn

Hockenheim is off? have you ever played FM4? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eJuXG769qM

You need to read the videos descriptions better. In the video you post:

For the in-game lap, there are extra downshifts for the entries of turns 3, 5 and 11 compared to my real lap. I don't know why I did that in the game, but it didn't seem to affect the result too much.
Means the car gear ratio is "off".. (seems something habitual in GT5)

The red strips on the apexes at Laguna Seca are not recreated in the game correctly. In the game, you can run over them with little to no consequence. In real life, if you hit them, you are going upset the car greatly through the corner, not to mention also bending a wheel in the process.
the track is "off".. but just the strips.

btw, laguna in GT5 looks a bit flat in the video?

Massively differing fields of view completely skew these comparisons.

Add to that the whole "lack of fear" thing to the gameplay videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgxcHU1nGBQ
Standard FoV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmfVZwhrNI
Tighter FoV.

Old FM2 videos but the difference should be obvious.

I, uh, fucking what? I'm not talking about FoV, I'm not talking bout sense of speed, I'm talking about how none of those videos presented the same racing lines, the suspensions were fucking balls when watching that Top Gear one. The Forza driver took a fucking super inside racing line at Hammerhead in the choppiest manner but still managed to reach the finish line at the same time as her.

The second video that he posted was of an absolute shit hockenheim comparison, because the track is probably on par with Forza's Nurburgring quality. Fucking straights everywhere and then a random turn or two that compensates the lack of turns in the rest of the fucking track.

3rd video is the same shit because it's the same track. Dude is slamming on the gas in forza getting to the point where he's several seconds ahead. This isn't a "fear" thing. If it was, you'd still see similar times but probably more squirley driving coming from the Forza guy because technically, he's pushing the car harder, no?

Top Bottom