• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I, uh, fucking what? I'm not talking about FoV, I'm not talking bout sense of speed, I'm talking about how none of those videos presented the same racing lines, the suspensions were fucking balls when watching that Top Gear one. The Forza driver took a fucking super inside racing line at Hammerhead in the choppiest manner but still managed to reach the finish line at the same time as her.

Using lap times as a comparison is laughably bad at the best of times but doing it against an edited celeb lap on top gear? LOL! Please do explain how a 1:35 video with an intro can show Cameron Diazs 1:45 or w/e it was lap time? I wish to be entertained.

The second video that he posted was of an absolute shit hockenheim comparison, because the track is probably on par with Forza's Nurburgring quality. Fucking straights everywhere and then a random turn or two that compensates the lack of turns in the rest of the fucking track.

There's a reason I commented on FoV. It massively alters perception of corner severity and sense of speed. Why do you think track day videos always look a lot slower than they feel in real life?

3rd video is the same shit because it's the same track. Dude is slamming on the gas in forza getting to the point where he's several seconds ahead. This isn't a "fear" thing. If it was, you'd still see similar times but probably more squirley driving coming from the Forza guy because technically, he's pushing the car harder, no?

He isn't even pushing the car close to the limit in real life. Not even remotely close to it...

Why is this thread so active all of a sudden?

Because GAF racing community is really small so when these games are no longer new releases, the only people who would look at these threads tend to care a lot about them so we are drawn back into the age old arguments/discussions very easily.

Also, cars = dicks, dicks demand to be measured.

Just posting some of my pics to keep the spirit alive :)

DLhUYQW.jpg

XCz09HT.jpg

rGcO9R3.jpg

Hockenheim is off? have you ever played FM4? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eJuXG769qM

You need to read the videos descriptions better. In the video you post:

Means the car gear ratio is "off".. (seems something habitual in GT5)
Those were shifting mistakes made by him. Every other point in the video he shifts within a second from each other.

the track is "off".. but just the strips.

btw, laguna in GT5 looks a bit flat in the video?
Laguna Seca is one of the GT tracks that has known flaws, but it's probably the best recreation that isn't iRacing.

shinnn

I, uh, fucking what? I'm not talking about FoV, I'm not talking bout sense of speed, I'm talking about how none of those videos presented the same racing lines, the suspensions were fucking balls when watching that Top Gear one. The Forza driver took a fucking super inside racing line at Hammerhead in the choppiest manner but still managed to reach the finish line at the same time as her.

The second video that he posted was of an absolute shit hockenheim comparison, because the track is probably on par with Forza's Nurburgring quality. Fucking straights everywhere and then a random turn or two that compensates the lack of turns in the rest of the fucking track.

3rd video is the same shit because it's the same track. Dude is slamming on the gas in forza getting to the point where he's several seconds ahead. This isn't a "fear" thing. If it was, you'd still see similar times but probably more squirley driving coming from the Forza guy because technically, he's pushing the car harder, no?

So try again with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIDE58RRzmU

Real video the guy pushed more in the last corners and finished first. Happy? You can turn in different manners but hit the same time in the end.

Hockenheim the same as Nurb.. eh.. you never played FM4.

Really.. you can't distinguish Hockenheim from Road Atlanta? wow.
And in the video both real and game are far away from pushing to its limits, except for the straights.

Using lap times as a comparison is laughably bad at the best of times but doing it against an edited celeb lap on top gear? LOL! Please do explain how a 1:35 video with an intro can show Cameron Diazs 1:45 or w/e it was lap time? I wish to be entertained.
Then what's the point of the video? The laughably bad racing lines and suspension work?

There's a reason I commented on FoV. It massively alters perception of corner severity and sense of speed. Why do you think track day videos always look a lot slower than they feel in real life?
zX19K8E.jpg

That's clearly a FoV issue. :roll
IF you were to skew the right picture to match the FoV, you'd get a track that is significantly wider than the real thing. The scale on their tracks suck.

Also, don't tell me about track days. I've had my fair share of them at IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park, before they got bought and closed the road course) and Putnam Park.

He isn't even pushing the car close to the limit in real life. Not even remotely close to it...
All I hear from you is excuses.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Then what's the point of the video? The laughably bad racing lines and suspension work?

The video is displaying track accuracy in a very poor fashion.

IF you were to skew the right picture to match the FoV, you'd get a track that is significantly wider than the real thing. The scale on their tracks suck.

The tracks don't seem any wider with a tighter FoV and shocking news, race tracks ARE wide.

They're facts but what ever.

GT5 is like the only game for which I created a separate PSN profile,it still is damn fun to play.

I never knew you were into racing sims,GT6 not being on PS4 sucks though.

My first "sim" was Nascar '93. Gt was my first console racer. I went onto better stuff like GTR and RBR when I was a young teen. rFactor... so on so forth. I want to get iRacing, but it's just out of my budget.

The video is displaying track accuracy in a very poor fashion.

The tracks don't seem any wider with a tighter FoV and shocking news, race tracks ARE wide.

They're facts but what ever.

You're reading comprehension is just as good as the excuses you put out.

That picture of Road Atlanta on Forza has the same width of road where he is currently at. If you were to reduce the FoV (to make things look wider), the road would be way out of proportion, more so than it is now.

shocking news, race tracks ARE wide.
Wide like Forza's Nurburg I'd guess?

Ha... pfft. BAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

This, it's just too much.

I'd like to see which one you think is better than GT's but worse than iRacing's.

I swear to God, if you say Forza, I'll slap your shit through this monitor. I'm not talking about graphics, at all.

So try again with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIDE58RRzmU

Real video the guy pushed more in the last corners and finished first. Happy? You can turn in different manners but hit the same time in the end.

Hockenheim the same as Nurb.. eh.. you never played FM4.

Really.. you can't distinguish Hockenheim from Road Atlanta? wow.
And in the video both real and game are far away from pushing to its limits, except for the straights.

I clicked on one of Satan's links, didn't bother correcting myself. It's already getting annoying how you guys only want to look at the flaws of one and not the other.

Gestault

The cars in forza have always ignored reflections of the ground, you can see in the screens above that the GT cars will appear darker near the underside of the car because of the asphalt, forza does not do that.

To say this, you must literally have never played Forza 4. Would you like some pictures? Or gameplay footage?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
That picture of Road Atlanta on Forza has the same width of road where he is currently at. If you were to reduce the FoV (to make things look wider), the road would be way out of proportion, more so than it is now.

Adjusting the FoV makes things look closer or further away, not how wide they are...

Wide like Forza's Nurburg I'd guess?

Please, do show me where I've defended the poorly modeled Nordschleife in Forza? I haven't even though it is no where near as wide as some claim.

I'd like to see which one you think is better than GT's but worse than iRacing's.

I swear to God, if you say Forza, I'll slap your shit through this monitor. I'm not talking about graphics, at all.

Implying graphics are even considered in track accuracy.

Dat corkscrew

I clicked on one of Satan's links, didn't bother correcting myself. It's already getting annoying how you guys only want to look at the flaws of one and not the other.

We have no problem accepting Forzas faults so the conversations about them move on quickly.

To say this, you must literally have never played Forza 4. Would you like some pictures? Or gameplay footage?

Bonnet reflections on Forza are actually a lot better than the ones in GT5. Not necessarily more accurate, but higher quality, and reflect cars via local real time cube maps.

3rd person reflections seem to be more approximated, but that's understandable as you have a lot more going on, on screen.

You know what else doesn't have tire deformation?

rFactor and iRacing. Good luck comparing your physics to that.

Just because the visual factor isn't there doesn't mean it's not in the physics calculations. Ever noticed that tires sometimes go underground in GT5? Ever thought why? What matters really is the chassis position, and that is accurately displayed/calculated.

shinnn

zX19K8E.jpg

That's clearly a FoV issue. :roll

Also, don't tell me about track days. I've had my fair share of them at IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park, before they got bought and closed the road course) and Putnam Park.

Road Atlanta is not wider in Forza. I don't know where you get that. Your picture dont' prove nothing, since its using different FOV's.

If you want to measure track width using different FOV's you should use a common parameter, like how many cars fits in there. But you'll get "disapointed".. just saying.

Also, nordschleife is only larger in the first Karussel corner, from I remember. The big problem in the Forza inaccuracy is longer straights than real life, not being wider.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
You know what else doesn't have tire deformation?

rFactor and iRacing. Good luck comparing your physics to that.

I'll need some popcorn when you try to compare GT5 to either one of them.

Just because the visual factor isn't there doesn't mean it's not in the physics calculations. Ever noticed that tires sometimes go underground in GT5? Ever thought why? What matters really is the chassis position, and that is accurately displayed/calculated.

It happens because the car simply clips through the ground...

Are you seriously trying to claim GT5 models tyre deformation even when there is absolutely no evidence?

I'll need some popcorn when you try to compare GT5 to either one of them.
Physics wise? GT5 comes out below. Hardly popcorn worthy.

It happens because the car simply clips through the ground...

Are you seriously trying to claim GT5 models tyre deformation even when there is absolutely no evidence?
"Models"? No. I said the exact oposite.

Why do you think it clips after jumps for example, when it doesn't otherwise? It's either a clipping issue or it isn't.

shinnn

AG5aXcR.png

aKS0uzF.png

9RuEICZ.png

2HXvR7o.png

mxWdRwb.png

One of these things is not like the other. One of these things is Forza.

I suggest you leave this thread now.
FOV again. Both iRacing and GT5 are using the camera in the roof. Forza uses the camera in the hood.

You are really bad about the perception of reality. Holy shit.

FOV again. Both iRacing and GT5 are using the camera in the roof. Forza uses the camera in the hood.

The camera is fucking LOWER on Forza yet you're still dropping off the God Damn Grand Canyon, and the last picture the elevation is still fucking CLEARLY incorrect.

Jesus get off the games fucking nuts.

Salacious Crumb

Huh? The Forza version is easily the worst of the lot.

Are we slowly just arriving at the conclusion everyone should come over to iRacing so we can have a neoGAF league there? Yeah, I think this is what everyone should do. You won't regret it.

If a neogaf iRacing league comes out of this thread it all would've been worth it.

Huh? The Forza version is easily the worst of the lot.

Are we slowly just arriving at the conclusion everyone should come over to iRacing so we can have a neoGAF league there? Yeah, I think this is what everyone should do. You won't regret it.

Fees are keeping me away, otherwise I'd love to.

That's not how FoV works...

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
AG5aXcR.png

Lower perspective

aKS0uzF.png

See above

9RuEICZ.png

And GT does? lol...

2HXvR7o.png

Where's this kink at the Apex beneath the circle that's in GT5 but neither FM3 or iRacing? (and it's a diffent line completely in Forza 3

mxWdRwb.png

Not lining up in GT5

And where is this jump in the middle of the corkscrew that's in GT5 in either Forza or iRacing?

The camera is fucking LOWER on Forza yet you're still dropping off the God Damn Grand Canyon, and the last picture the elevation is still fucking CLEARLY incorrect.

Jesus get off the games fucking nuts.

Someone doesn't seem to grasp just how big an effect things like FoV or perspectives have.

9RuEICZ.png

the forza and real world line up, the gt one doesn't... Look at how the car is intering the corner, the left wheel is already on the apex, yet the GT one has a closer approach and is much further off (there's literally no grade in the gt pic).

Top Bottom