• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

While Dan is playing Minecraft at home on his 360...

kaz-nurb-4hours-199x300.jpg

DD

To those fanboys that keep saying that GT5 is used to train race drivers:

This is coming from a REAL racing driver:

There is an abundance of racing games out there, varying from the realistic to the plain ridiculous. Most are fun but only some can truly help you drive a racecar faster.

Let's start with the most common of games, such as Forza and Gran Turismo. Honestly, about all you can learn from these are the basics of the racing line and familiarizing yourself with the tracks — and even those are a little tainted.

The physics are just not that realistic and, although to the amateur it may feel rather lifelike, it is not the best representation of driving at speed.
Having said that, playing these games will improve some of the basics and at least enable you to think like a racecar driver.

If you want to get the most from your sim-racing experience, however, then you need to venture up the totem pole and immerse yourself in sims like iRacing, rFactor or SimRaceway. The latter is new and well worth checking out. The physics are developed by pro drivers like Dario Franchitti, Alan McNish and the late Dan Wheldon, and as this sim progresses, expect it to be a true rival to the more established names in racing simulators.

I'm not a fan of rFactor but iRacing is fantastic. The physics are spookily lifelike and although the setups and driving styles required to go fast are as grossly misleading as one of Mitt Romney's tax returns, if you chose to stay true to reality and not get carried away trying to beat the hundreds of Markku's out there, then you'll get the most realistic racing experience available.

The tracks even embody the bumps identically and the racing between fellow ‘onliners' is amazingly realistic. Here you can truly develop and hone your skills, like perfecting the racing lines, race craft, braking and throttle techniques and more. As I said, just don't get too carried away memorizing setups in the hope that they will work in real-life — because they won't.

I know this because, during a rainy practice day for the 2011 Indy 500, my engineer and I decided we would fight our boredom by hooking up iRacing, selecting the Dallara IndyCar at Indianapolis and inputting our current car setup. I then hit the computer-generated racetrack to discover if we could make some changes that might correlate with reality. But it felt completely different and totally alien to my IndyCar that was sat just 20 feet away. To make it drive somewhat similar it required an equally alien-like setup.

Still, it is an online racing sim for the masses; you can hardly expect it to be 100% lifelike. If it were, then F1 teams like McLaren would not have invested nearly $40 million to develop their in-house, über realistic simulator that can actually develop racecars.

http://jalopnik.com/5926673/how-the-right-video-game-makes-you-a-faster-driver

Well I imagine that being a real racer helps you to make a better racing game.

I'm sorry, i'm a GT fan myself, but this one was too easy:

I imagine that playing games would help you become better at making games. Considering some of the inexplicable bugs found on GT, PD should spend a bit of their time playing other GAMES to see what other features a GAME should have.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Gotta be fake bro.

It's not fake, it's a perfect example of something in the game but not what he is trying to prove is in the game.

What you're seeing in the video is him launching flatout and spinning his tires and without any countersteer and no traction on the rear tires it spins out. He is trying to show torque steer, which this isn't at all, torque steer is when the torque of a vehicle forces the back end of the car to step out(basically twisting the chassis of the car).

Bcr9qon.gif

The above is a extreme example, the twisting of the car when it jumps is torque steer.

Also happens to FWD cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxvgUWXNBQc <- This guy hits his gas on the highway and the torque forces the front to step out.

FordGTGuy

Banned
They really fucked up the exhaust on the GT-R in Forza.

OZ7mONX.jpg

ibN93gU.jpg

JnUbNhY.jpg

Why does it have to be explained over and over that both cars and tracks change over time, even in small ways. Not to mention the countless variants and options some cars have.

Forza Motorsport 4 only has the SpecV version which has this unique exhaust, GT5 also has this version and a normal version of the GTR.

uyHYBkZ.jpg

ZFvVeY9.jpg

For the record, that video was a reply to this:

Haha, I know, I loved that silly post.

But I guess cars twist in FM4, with a reverse engineered chassis simulation with data provided by the best chassis creators in the world.

It doesn't matter if the rear end steps out if the chassis doesn't twist, even if you spin out anyway :p

Thanks for the video anyway MM, they can argue all they want now.

FordGTGuy

Banned

But I guess cars twist in FM4, with a reverse engineered chassis simulation with data provided by the best chassis creators in the world.

It doesn't matter if the rear end steps out if the chassis doesn't twist, even if you spin out anyway :p

That's not the point of torque steer...... There is no argument it's a clear fact that GT5 does not simulate it.

eso76

Okay then. Lets compare it to the official Forza Forum:

GTplanet GT5 forum:

MVWTtIa.jpg

OFFICIAL Forza Motorsport 4 forum:

5nSZjnD.jpg

There. Now it's fair :)

Come on, # of posts on GT includes all sub forums, while FM.net figure doesn't include all stuff posted in other sections like photo sharing, livery, setups and tons more.

It's around 1 million posts if you put everything together.
But are we really comparing # of posts now ?

That's not the point of torque steer...... There is no argument it's a clear fact that GT5 does not simulate it.

Dude, read his original post SLOWLY. I know you can understand it if you try hard enough.

GT5 is just an unrealistically hard game to play.

In reality, high powered rear drive cars do not just go in straight lines when launching with wheelspin.

Then, when me and others pointed out he's wrong, he said:

Please, recreate this in GT5.

The video he linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUkPxQJAuOM

Do you get it now? If you don't, reread this post veeery slowly until you do.

:)

While Dan is playing Minecraft at home on his 360...

kaz-nurb-4hours-199x300.jpg

Yes, he was doing the same thing instead of making the game, leaving us waiting 5 years. Dan and Turn10 are able to deliver great polished games without having the fans waiting like idiots after teasing with dates serveral times during 3 years.
So i wont play that card if i were you.
The task of a game developer is make games.

spwolf

I'm sorry, i'm a GT fan myself, but this one was too easy:

I imagine that playing games would help you become better at making games. Considering some of the inexplicable bugs found on GT, PD should spend a bit of their time playing other GAMES to see what other features a GAME should have.

probably would want him to keep driving these cars he is trying to replicate, not play some games. I doubt GT needs any more features anyway, does anyone has anywhere close to its feature set?

Snubbers

Since I see you unbiased fellas covered forums, who would win in a fight Kaz vs Dan, sell it to me.

The funny thing is, Dan taught multiple martial art's and competed in notable competitions,

just google, e.g. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/315499/forza-4-interview-dan-greenawalt-turn-10-he-thought-of-cars/#

It's all in the beard, Chuck Norris stylee..

As for the subject of Kaz, he's a legend, his heart is in the right place with wanting to bring the 'experience' to the user, he just needs to stop pissing around outside of PD and channel the passion into the game..

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
probably would want him to keep driving these cars he is trying to replicate, not play some games. I doubt GT needs any more features anyway, does anyone has anywhere close to its feature set?

I thought one of the reasons GT5 got lukewarm critical reception was that it was lacking in things to do.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Is there chassis twist in Forza?

Visually no and I don't even think there is twist(bending) of the chassis going on under the hood but there is torque steer but no actual twisting from what I can tell.

When did I ever mention GT5 having torque steer simulation?

The result of the actions is the same in GT5 and Forza.

Does Forza simulate chassis twisting?

Chassis twisting isn't the point of the effects of torque steer it's a bi-product of it.

From what I can tell no it doesn't or at least not visually.

When did I ever mention GT5 having torque steer simulation?

The result of the actions is the same in GT5 and Forza.

Does Forza simulate chassis twisting?

You clearly don't understand what torque steer is as they aren't the same results.

Can you think of a reason why my game doesn't do that? The car launches dead straight every time. I have the latest version installed.

you play with a controller
he plays with a FFB wheel...?

i don't get this whole torque steer argument. When i floor a front wheel drive car in GT5, my G27 pulls to the left (on a perfectly level road)... seems like torque steer to me.

Visually no and I don't even think there is twist(bending) of the chassis going on under the hood but there is torque steer but no actual twisting from what I can tell.

Chassis twisting isn't the point of the effects of torque steer it's a bi-product of it.

From what I can tell no it doesn't or at least not visually.

You clearly don't understand what torque steer is as they aren't the same results.

Do the FF cars get torque steer in Forza too? Do you have any video to show the effects?

malyce

This thread is hilarious. FordGTGuy, what's your favorite all time and current driving sim? Do you play any pc Sims? Preferably one of the big 2.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Can you think of a reason why my game doesn't do that? The car launches dead straight every time. I have the latest version installed.

There is a difference he kept spinning his tires until it ultimately spun out from loss of traction.(This is not torque steer but merely loss of traction.)

Do the FF cars get torque steer in Forza too? Do you have any video to show the effects?

Yes they do, I don't have a HDD on my Xbox or I would take some video.

This thread is hilarious. FordGTGuy, what's your favorite all time and current driving sim? Do you play any pc Sims? Preferably one of the big 2.

My all time favorite is Forza 4 but that is only because I've been playing Forza because it came out and it has a bunch of cars I can fool with and I don't have access to a PS3 to play GT5.

I own GTR2 and GT Legends on my Steam account I haven't played them too much because of my massive backlog but I plan to get more into them down the road.

Gestault

I'm pretty sure it's because you're (appropriately) feathering the gas so it's not spinning out, and he likely is. He did recreate the scenario visually in GT5, but it sounds like he (the person who made the response video) didn't understand what was being asked of a response.

FlyFaster

It's not the biggest deal in the world but I do respect (and like) the fact that Kazunori Yamauchi drives cars and races. For whatever little it is worth I think it adds something to the game. Passion if nothing else -- He genuinely likes cars/racing.

Top Bottom