• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

amar212

Dan and Turn10 are able to deliver great polished games without having the fans waiting like idiots after teasing with dates serveral times during 3 years. So i wont play that card if i were you..

Okay, lets not dance in the waters of blindness here, please.

All 3 this-gen Forza games are great games but none of them is by any mean "great and polished", stating something like that is really presumptuous.

We can all have our opinions and preferences but we should at least try to be reasonable here (although this thread is not meant for that).

Which reminds me - in my post #17986 I tried to switch the discussion to probably most relevant issue regarding discussing both games (and especially Forza), but sadly, almost 700 posts late, no single fuck was given. Great. Good riddance.

I'm pretty sure it's because you're (appropriately) feathering the gas so it's not spinning out, and he likely is. He did recreate the scenario visually in GT5, but it sounds like he (the person who made the response video) didn't understand what was being asked of a response.

Actually he did, since he replicated the Forza video that guy linked and proved that cars don't launch in a straight line with wheelspin in GT5.

Can you think of a reason why my game doesn't do that? The car launches dead straight every time. I have the latest version installed.

All aids off? Wheel or controller? FFB strength? What tires?

Using a controller compensates, as does a strong FFB setting. Depending on the FFB strength the wheel can just rock left and right.

Actually he did, since he replicated the Forza video that guy linked and proved that cars don't launch in a straight line with wheelspin in GT5.

This. You can't really tell any torque steer in that Forza vid that was posted. Just wheel spin.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It's not the biggest deal in the world but I do respect (and like) the fact that Kazunori Yamauchi drives cars and races. For whatever little it is worth I think it adds something to the game. Passion if nothing else -- He genuinely likes cars/racing.

That's all the matters really, I play games like Forza and GT5 for fun and when I play them I focus on what's good about them. I'm a car nut anyway so games like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport are perfect with the large amount of cars and tracks to run around on.

For the 100th time that isn't what torque steer is...

There is no high horsepower RWD car in the world that will launch in a straight line if all you do is continually spin the tires and don't counter steer.

MYE

Month after month I take a peak into this thread and yup, always the same dudes going at it.

iAQ9wXo3PDheO.JPG

lol, good lord...

Pepto

Banned
All assists of right? I can't fire up GT right now but are you sure?

All assist off.

I'm pretty sure it's because you're (appropriately) feathering the gas so it's not spinning out, and he likely is.

Full throttle with the brakes on. When I release the the brakes the car does a burnout and launches dead straight.'

All aids off? Wheel or controller? FFB strength? What tires?

I'm using a controller with the default tyres.

saladine1

All 3 this-gen Forza games are great games but none of them is by any mean "great and polished", stating something like that is really presumptuous.

We can all have our opinions and preferences but we should at least try to be reasonable here (although this thread is not meant for that).

Which reminds me - in my post #17986 I tried to switch the discussion to probably most relevant issue regarding discussing both games (and especially Forza), but sadly, almost 700 posts late, no single fuck was given. Great. Good riddance.

Who cares about physics man?

Clearly, the discussion of post count on fan forums is what matters.

When are you going to understand that?

FordGTGuy

Banned
This. You can't really tell any torque steer in that Forza vid that was posted. Just wheel spin.

Here is a AI glitch where the car torque steering into the wall and the AI basically broke for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkLKJNmjqmQ

Look at the skidmarks after he does it and you can see how it forced the car to steer to the left on takeoff. This is what happens in a FWD car when it torque steers it will instantly snap the steering left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKb7k2kV9XM&list=UU4EVNZwt381Fy1zVQ5yGxJA&index=14

Above is a video of a Shelby Cobra in GT5 doing a hard launch while staying absolutely straight the entire time.

p3tran

Banned
forza beats the shit out of gt5, simply because gt cant do this:

zDnS3Pw.jpg

and here is the quad damage:

AYLP1l9.jpg

so everybody, put up or shut up! :D

shinnn

Can you think of a reason why my game doesn't do that? The car launches dead straight every time. I have the latest version installed.

You need a special edition made for special neogaf members lol. Even a fucking nascar stock car go straight.

Mascot

A. Don't go.

B. Would you not say that FM4 was a more polished, more finished game than GT5?

malyce

I'm going to side with FGTG here and say that GT5 doesn't have torque steer. From a standing start on a level track/surface, I can dump the clutch/brake and won't have to touch my wheel till I get to the first turn.

That being said he doesn't have access to gt5, and he hasn't played iRacing/rFactor so it's more like he's standing from the outside looking in. So I can't take some of his comments seriously.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'm going to side with FGTG here and say that GT5 doesn't have torque steer. From a standing start on a level track/surface, I can dump the clutch/brake and won't have to touch my wheel till I get to the first turn.

That being said he doesn't have access to gt5, and he hasn't played iRacing/rFactor so it's more like he's standing from the outside looking in. So I can't take some of his comments seriously.

I don't need to play iRacing I've done it in my own car before I know what it feels like. Also I used to own GT5 till my PS3 broke out of warranty but I did in fact but quite a lot of hours in it.

Gestault

...he hasn't played iRacing/rFactor so it's more like he's standing from the outside looking in. So I can't take some of his comments seriously.

Using another sim-style game as the basis instead of like, actual, real driving/racing seems odd to me.

malyce

I don't need to play iRacing I've done it in my own car before I know what it feels like.

I wasn't referring to the torque steer, as I said in my post, you're right. I was referring to some of your earlier comments about forza's physics and tire physics in relation to other racing sims.

amar212

B. Would you not say that FM4 was a more polished, more finished game than GT5?

No, it is not. Really.

And FM4 is also a big step back compared to FM3 which is a big step back from FM2, both some things physics and driving sensation related and other things wise.

Forza 4 maybe *seems* more polished then GT5 but honestly it is not. Both have their own set of quirkness which makes them both at least equally unpollished.

p3tran

Banned

welcome to november 2010!
its not like this happened to gt5 yesterday :)

rzPo4RI.jpg

:D

FordGTGuy

Banned
I wasn't referring to the torque steer, as I said in my post, you're right. I was referring to some of your earlier comments about forza's physics and tire physics in relation to other racing sims.

First of all I came out and said that Forza isn't as realistic as iRacing or rFactor. I never said Forza had better tire physics than any other game I said it had one of the best tire physic models.

I think I can fairly say that within my own experience and from the information I can gather.

Also GTR2 is a pretty realistic game in it's own right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvAc0unaj7o

I took it to mean that I didn't have experience with torque steer because I haven't played iRacing, I now understand what you mean with your statement.

Gestault

I'll say this much: Anyone who says GT5 is a more polished game than Forza 3/4, I just can't agree with. Simply looking at the patch notes since release for Gran Turismo should be as good an argument as there can be to that effect, and there are still lingering issues.

That's not making any claim about the visuals, aside from Forza's consistent detail, customization and tuning options for every vehicle. That's not making any claim about the experience itself. That's not ignoring some things that GT simply does differently and in some cases, better.

But to pretend there aren't dozens of things in GT that I wouldn't want changed, and that a massive number of things already were changed because they needed to be, comes off as irrational. Especially in light of some of those same challenges being handled so well and on a much shorter timetable in Forza. I hope that's acceptable perspective, in those terms.

Both have their own set of quirkness which makes them both at least equally unpollished.
I can't understand this. There's nothing equal about it.

Forza 4 has fewer features, but those features are more complete and more polished than anything in GT5.

Not to shit on GT5, a game which I also love, but there's so damn much to it that its always, literally, bursting at the seams. Its inconsistent in terms of performance and visuals, with incredible highs and incredible lows.

Forza is a consistent experience throughout.

FlyFaster

I do hope GT gets a paint system like Forza soon.

On this we agree 100%.

Forza has, hands down, the better paint/livery system.

It's actually embarrassing that GT5 uses the strange and archaic paint chips system. It's incredibly stupid. At the very least PD needs to implement a simple color wheel or RGB slider that allows players to select any color under the sun. I shouldn't have to collect paint colors at random--it's fucking 2013...

Even if the system doesn't do anything better than forza, GT really needs some love in this department. In all the games that have had car customization I've gone nuts with it. Spending hours creating cool paint jobs and liveries.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Wow, that's, like, real mature.

This is now officially the torque steer thread guys.

Who cares about night racing, weather or rally when you have motherfucking torque steer?

Bottom-line what separates games like GT5 and Forza 4 from NFS Shift and GRID are the physics and they are probably the most important part of the games.

I do like how you had to throw in that little troll about night racing, weather and rally though.

How about 30+ Porsches?
How about car liveries?
How about V8 Supercars?

See I can do it too....

shinnn

"Forza is not polished".. its sums up this thread lol.

or better

"Forza is not polished"

vs

"GT doesn't have torque steer"

Bottom-line what separates games like GT5 and Forza 4 from NFS Shift and GRID are the physics and they are probably the most important part of the games.

I do like how you had to throw in that little troll about night racing, weather and rally though.

How about 30+ Porsches?
How about car liveries?
How about V8 Supercars?

See I can do it too....

well one is that gt5 is in a class of its own while forza is in the b-tier class of nfs and grid in that those three games are arcade racers

amar212

How about 30+ Porsches?
How about car liveries?
How about V8 Supercars?

See I can do it too....

What you list are just content-differences regarding substance present in both games in different forms which does not make any "simulation" better.

Trolling are substance features that makes some driving simulation better.

I do not want to argue of anything, but denying how having Porsches or any other particular brand/class makes a more comprehensive simulation then night racing variable weather or highly varied surfaces and disciplines is really not serious.

"Forza is not polished".. its sums up this thread lol.
or better
"Forza is not polished"
vs
"GT doesn't have torque steer"

It is just my opinion, I do not present it as an universal fact. There are serious details that bugs me about Forza from my standpoint which makes it really unpolished from my own perspective. I do not want to argue does someone else find them important or not, it is very subjective matter without mean to be resolved unanimously.

FordGTGuy

Banned
What you list are just content-differences regarding substance present in both games in different forms which does not make any "simulation" better.

Trolling are substance features that makes some driving simulation better.

I do not want to argue of anything, but denying how having Porsches or any other particular brand/class makes a more comprehensive simulation then night racing variable weather or highly varied surfaces and disciplines is really not serious.

He was clearly using it as a "but your game doesn't have a, b and c in it!" so I gave it back to him.

well one is that gt5 is in a class of its own while forza is in the b-tier class of nfs and grid in that those three games are arcade racers

How does it feel to be a dumb troll?

Mascot

No, it is not. Really.

And FM4 is also a big step back compared to FM3 which is a big step back from FM2, both some things physics and driving sensation related and other things wise.

Forza 4 maybe *seems* more polished then GT5 but honestly it is not. Both have their own set of quirkness which makes them both at least equally unpollished.

I guess the word 'polished' is a little too subjective, a little too open to interpretation. I'd consider a game 'polished' if it released without bugs, glitches, incomplete features etc. If it felt like it was finished, and not rushed. Despite the huge delays GT5 still felt weirdly rushed to me. The standard cars, the lack of damage, the lack of dashboards, the graphical issues with screen tearing and frame drops etc... All point to needing more time, to being in an unpolished state.

I wouldn't have called FM3 polished on first release for a few reasons, the main one (for me) being the flickering car shadows (which a mod on the FM forums hilariously tried to pass off as a deliberate feature to let you know when you were drafting the car in front. I'd never heard such horseshit) but I thought FM4 was pretty much together, pretty polished, when it was released. I might be forgetting some key issues but that's my overriding memory of both releases.

He was clearly using it as a "but your game doesn't have a, b and c in it!" so I gave it back to him.

How does it feel to be a dumb troll?

whos trolling. forza is an arcade racer as demonstrated by the fact you cannot turn assists completely off, the game will always play itself

microsoft realized this, dropped the sim facade and went on to make forza horizon

FordGTGuy

Banned
whos trolling. forza is an arcade racer as demonstrated by the fact you cannot turn assists completely off, the game will always play itself

microsoft realized this, dropped the sim facade and went on to make forza horizon

You can turn all the assists off smart one, the assist you're referring to was a glitch that was fixed in a title update. You can just go ahead and believe what you want though.

Horizon is a spinoff... do you understand what a spinoff is?

I care about porsche's. does it even have one?

bpe72xA.jpg

:D

Wow dude what the hell?

don't stoop to that level.

You can turn all the assists off smart one, the assist you're referring to was a glitch that was fixed in a title update. You can just go ahead and believe what you want though.

Horizon is a spinoff... do you understand what a spinoff is?

did they? good for turn 10 but i am afraid its still a band-aid over the fact that forza has standard physics and standard lighting while gt5 has premium physics and premium lightning

just like how forza fans have standard brains and gt fans have premium brains

FlyFaster

I'm not a big fan of Forza but it's ridiculous to claim that it's not a "sim". Both Forza and GT are console sim racers.

edit:
also, I'd love to have a horizon type spin off of GT. Although Drive Club looks to be filling that role.

I'm not one of those sim or nothing guys. I like both arcade style and sim racers. Give me NFS, Ridge Racer, Burnout as well as GT. Even futuristic racers like Wipeout get my motor going.

p3tran

Banned
Wow dude what the hell?

don't stoop to that level.

these games are old news my friend. those who have both know, long time ago. those who are in love with one of them, know something different. its all good. bottom line, games are about fun.
most of us will play gt6, most of us will also play forza5 -unless its drm-fucking enabled, in which case I will hit t10 so hard, that metalmurphy will have a stroke!

:)

Top Bottom