• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Snubbers

All aids off? Wheel or controller? FFB strength? What tires?

Using a controller compensates, as does a strong FFB setting. Depending on the FFB strength the wheel can just rock left and right.

This. You can't really tell any torque steer in that Forza vid that was posted. Just wheel spin.

I just went and tried it myself, and I call BS on that video..

Here's a quick phone cam video of both, just go and try it for yourself, I was 100% fair for both games..

GT5 2.12 / Cobra / TG Test Track / Fanatec CSR /
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QnPQtebMhk

FM4 / Cobra / TG Test Track / Fanatec CSR, exact same settings as for GT5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImArcIXDIss

In each, I ensure the wheel is kept absolutely still, and tried with/without FFB on the wheel, same result.

Then the other thing I've mentioned before, FWD Torque steer FFB..

GT5 2.12 / Golf GTI 2005 / TG Test Track / Fanatec CSR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe1e0Kd3-go

FM4 / Golf GTI 2006 / TG Test Track / Fanatec CSR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP5bWc5G1qo

I'm sure I can go and find some stuff FM isn't doing that GT is, but I'm just responding to the points at hand.. I could show how much better track FFB is in GT5, I could show behaviour on grass, etc, etc..

Amar212 said:
Which reminds me - in my post #17986 I tried to switch the discussion to probably most relevant issue regarding discussing both games (and especially Forza), but sadly, almost 700 posts late, no single fuck was given. Great. Good riddance.
I responded to that subject, but it also got lost, I don't agree with much of your opinion on XID, I can see the differences between the games, but they all seem design decisions, like FWD Torque steer.. HID doesn't stop GT5 having it, Kaz decided that one.. and I'm sure XID does not stop FM4 having more track FFB through the suspension, but Dan decided it wasn't as important as the tyre ffb..
Then you have the steering glitch which has been patched out now.. as has GT5 improved it's frame rates and other things..

What else was there? I like discussing the technical side of things.

eso76

Six of the top eight are Xbros. Forza fans are clearly trying harder.

iAQ9wXo3PDheO.JPG

wait, am I one of the xbros or not ?
you're too vague!

eso76

Gt has a much better logo.
fm is not bad, but gt got it right from the beginning and it's one of the best and most iconic logos in the industry

shinnn

It is just my opinion, I do not present it as an universal fact. There are serious details that bugs me about Forza from my standpoint which makes it really unpolished from my own perspective. I do not want to argue does someone else find them important or not, it is very subjective matter without mean to be resolved unanimously.
Indeed you do not represent an universal fact. The universal fact is that Forza is a polished game.

Okay, lets not dance in the waters of blindness here, please.

you just did:

All 3 this-gen Forza games are great games but none of them is by any mean "great and polished"

FordGTGuy

Banned
I just went and tried it myself, and I call BS on that video..

Here's a quick phone cam video of both, just go and try it for yourself, I was 100% fair for both games..

GT5 2.12 / Cobra / TG Test Track / Fanatec CSR /
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QnPQtebMhk

FM4 / Cobra / TG Test Track / Fanatec CSR, exact same settings as for GT5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImArcIXDIss

In each, I ensure the wheel is kept absolutely still, and tried with/without FFB on the wheel, same result.

Then the other thing I've mentioned before, FWD Torque steer FFB..

GT5 2.12 / Golf GTI 2005 / TG Test Track / Fanatec CSR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe1e0Kd3-go

FM4 / Golf GTI 2006 / TG Test Track / Fanatec CSR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP5bWc5G1qo

I'm sure I can go and find some stuff FM isn't doing that GT is, but I'm just responding to the points at hand.. I could show how much better track FFB is in GT5, I could show behaviour on grass, etc, etc..

I responded to that subject, but it also got lost, I don't agree with much of your opinion on XID, I can see the differences between the games, but they all seem design decisions, like FWD Torque steer.. HID doesn't stop GT5 having it, Kaz decided that one.. and I'm sure XID does not stop FM4 having more track FFB through the suspension, but Dan decided it wasn't as important as the tyre ffb..
Then you have the steering glitch which has been patched out now.. as has GT5 improved it's frame rates and other things..

What else was there? I like discussing the technical side of things.

Thanks for making the videos hopefully some people in this thread will finally grasp what torque steer actually is.

Okay, lets not dance in the waters of blindness here, please.

All 3 this-gen Forza games are great games but none of them is by any mean "great and polished", stating something like that is really presumptuous.

We can all have our opinions and preferences but we should at least try to be reasonable here (although this thread is not meant for that).

Which reminds me - in my post #17986 I tried to switch the discussion to probably most relevant issue regarding discussing both games (and especially Forza), but sadly, almost 700 posts late, no single fuck was given. Great. Good riddance.

Im being reasonable, Forza games are great and more polished than most of games released. Maybe you are nickpicking too much. Forza games are atleast in the same level of polishing than the first 4 gran turismo games, thats pretty unbiased opinion from a huge fan of both series like i am.

PD did not deliever a polished game with GT5, cleary wasnt in the same level as the other 4 main games, Kaz didnt do a good job there and thats another unbiased claim, i prefer a game developer that doesnt make us waste our time and keep teasing us from 2007 to 2010 with a game release than one that win races in real life.

What tyres were you using for this video. Anything higher than Sport Hards will skew the result.

Exactly my first thought (from the youtube comment).

Also you're not making it exactly clear that you're not touching the wheel in the FWD test. We need 4 PoVs please, and in 3D.

shinnn

Exactly my first thought (from the youtube comment).

Also you're not making it exactly clear that you're not touching the wheel in the FWD test. We need 4 PoVs please, and in 3D.

So you have to put a mom's car tyre in a shelby cobra to things work in GT5?

nah.. doesn't work either.

I really wonder how they do it. To me it's still the most realistic lighting in any racing game. I've never played pCars, but from what I've seen on screenshots and videos, they can't match it either. Only PGR4 in overcast conditions comes close, imo.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
You guys really don't catch the jokes? :p
Can you blame me after the way people are acting in this thread? It's like the thought of FM4 being better than GT5 in any regard is heresy. Both games have strengths. You don't have to stop liking GT5 because of this.

Snubbers

How exactly do u call BS on it? You can clearly see I'm not turning.

Only because your wheel is off centre by a couple of degrees to the right, I did that myself a few times. I made sure the car was tracking straight before stopping and launching, and or you will just get a slow rotation build up as you show in your video.

But it's also been discussed on the GT Planet a few times, Scaff has done controlled tests to confirm it.

Only because your wheel is off centre by a couple of degrees to the right, I did that myself a few times. I made sure the car was tracking straight before stopping and launching, and or you will just get a slow rotation build up as you show in your video.

But it's also been discussed on the GT Planet a few times, Scaff has done controlled tests to confirm it.

So did you miss me aligning the wheel on the video to prevent exactly that? Or the fact that the ingame hands don't show that all?

Snubbers

So did you miss me aligning the wheel on the video to prevent exactly that? Or the fact that the ingame hands don't show that all?

I've just gone and double checked, I can make it also spin it the other way by
1. Just having the wheel a couple of degrees to the left
2. Going across the track diagonally where is not perfectly flat.

Try this
1. Align the car down the centre of the track along the dashed white lines
2. Leave the car rolling to ensure the wheel is center (not so you think it is after stopping and realigning)

I'll post up a video of it spinning the other way if you like..

[edit] In your video, the car has it's wheel offset to the right, the red bulb on the left should not be fully showing as in your video, the wheel should partially obscure it if it's truly centered. To prove the point, here's a video from earlier, you can get the right camber and just a slight off center steering makes it go either way..
e.g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KysU4tV2Wzc

And if I draw a line along the bottom of your screen in your video, then just move it up, you can see how far out the car's wheel is..
k2dwSD4.jpg

p3tran

Banned
Mmm that aventador looks good with the GT logo, maybe one based in the white Ford GT from Gran Turismo 4 would very good.
I see that ford gt and I raise you the gt4 gallardo.
T2sAAHJ.jpg

it eats forza for breakfast :D

ps guys, how about we do a race sometime in the near future?
or even better, do races on both forza and gt.
we race, then we can compare notes on the online "experiences", and therefore have something newer to argue about.

Mascot

Not sure. It depends how much you play it (And for some reason it doesn't include the Twin Ring Motegi DLC)

Oof. No sale then.

From Amazon:

Get ready to hit the track in the definitive version of Gran Turismo 5. Souped-up, fine-tuned and ready to launch you on the drive of your dreams, Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition features extra courses, additional cars and exciting new features.

Launching in September 2012, Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition features a host of game add-ons previously released on PlayStation Store and now included in the game on one Blu-ray Disc. What's more, you'll be playing the remastered version of Gran Turismo 5, as all functionality updates are packed into the game as well.

Turismo 5: Academy Edition Includes

Complete Pack

Power round the track in the Red Bull X2011 Prototype, 11 cars and three karts of the Racing Car Pack.
Take on the illustrious SPA Francorchamps circuit and two additional karting tracks of the Course Pack.
Try on a range of famous helmets and race suits from the Racing Gear Pack.
Added screen tearing to simulate eye malfuntion due to excessive speed and frame drops to heighten sensation of blinking due to excessive speed.
Use 100 colours found in the Special Paint Pack.

Car Pack 2

Get behind the wheel of two popular Volkswagen cars, the 2010 Golf VI R and the 2010 Scirocco R.
Zip through the corners in the 2011 MINI COOPER S.
Unleash the 2012 Nissan R35 GT-R.

Car Pack 3

Buckle up for a supercar spectacular with the Aston Martin V12 Vantage, Jaguar XJR-9 LM Racecar and Lamborghini Aventador.
Try two iconic compact cars, the 66 Volkswagen 1200 and the Mini Cooper S
Experience electric motoring with the Nissan Leaf.

As a special bonus, you'll also be able to thunder across the tarmac in the Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motorsports. This is the car driven by Gran Turismo 5 creator Kazunori Yamauchi in the 2012 Nürburgring 24-h

I see that ford gt and I raise you the gt4 gallardo.
T2sAAHJ.jpg

it eats forza for breakfast :D

What is wrong with the rims? They look terrible. T10 really sucks at replicating a real life look.

Are these user made liveries or does FM4 actually inadvertently advertise GT/PlayStation? lol

Of course they're user made liveries. Another great point why a livery editor shouldn't be in GT. It would totally ruin the experience.

Of course they're user made liveries. Another great point why a livery editor shouldn't be in GT. It would totally ruin the experience.

I don't think that's true at all. A compromise would be to include a "Never Display Custom Liveries" option for people like you.

Also I'd like an option to randomly generate liveries. That can also be used to apply them to AI cars when you're doing single player races so your anime titty car doesn't stick out as much.

It's not really unreasonable to assume that they could be real liveries imo. Some racing cars do carry some GT/PS insignia since the teams are sponsored by them. For a sim racer wanting to be as realistic as possible, it makes sense to also include that.

It's quite funny how a Sony Walkman is featured in Peace Walker, which is on Xbox 360.

They really need the option to import photos/images for use on liveries.

I know artists would go apeshit. But tough. Not everyone can spend countless hours trying to replicate a photo on the hood of a car.

They really need the option to import photos/images for use on liveries.

I know artists would go apeshit. But tough. Not everyone can spend countless hours trying to replicate a photo on the hood of a car.

I played around with the livery editor in 2 and 3 and I can't believe how much patience one must have to achieve something like this.

walken%20comp%201.jpg

Top Bottom