• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Perkel

Banned
I laughed when in patch 2.0 they edited intro and put soul on display instead of that romance crap.

Honestly there should be petition to make moon over castle official intro in every region. It is already tradition which Sony Us every-time destroys.

dudebros are skipping intro so it is not like chemical crap gained anything.

I laughed when in patch 2.0 they edited intro and put soul on display instead of that romance crap.

Honestly there should be petition to make moon over castle official intro in every region. It is already tradition which Sony Us every-time destroys.

Didn't you watch the interview? The MCR guys are totally fans.

Mobius 1

It felt like a stupid decision by idiotic producers on Sony USA.

Moon Over the Castle reigns supreme, why they feel the need to replace it with western music is beyond me.

The GT2 intro. The piano intro. The footage. Fucking goosebumps.

shinnn

Just give us access, or the templates to make our own texture files. That's how it should be done.

BF1_db_Fedex.jpg

500+ templates .. one for each car. Bitmaps instead of vectorial images.

That genius. Turn10 should hire you.

Want only that fedex logo? do another template. Yay.
doesn't feel right in the car? want to move 10cm to left? do another template. Yay.

The menu music is great in GT5, I hope they don't change it much for 6, sounds so good.

I actually preferred Soul of Display over a MOTC intro, apart from GT2 (non-remixed version), spec 2.0 has got to be my favorite intro.

Perkel

Banned
The menu music is great in GT5, I hope they don't change it much for 6, sounds so good.

I actually preferred Soul of Display over a MOTC intro, apart from GT2 (non-remixed version), spec 2.0 has got to be my favorite intro.

Prologue gt5 had better track selection imo.

And this is why i activated all of them in playlist (they are off by default)

I'm just sceptical to having jazz as default, it sounds very strange for something fast and upbeat like racing imo.

Well, you aren't racing at those points. You're clicking through menus and looking through dealerships. So it seems fitting that the music for the menus would sound completely different compared to the music you hear during a race. Menus are laid back compared to racing, so I think jazz and lounge fit well. Plus it's just the series image. We're talking about a series in which the creator presents and award at the Concours d'Elegance. And the car that wins that award ends up in the game.

saladine1

Forza 2 'custmoization' trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoZSLY8Xjyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3U5JUT51fA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waxP7gysQ_U

and Forza 1 too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KQPY0aN8-Q

I absolutely loved the Forza 2 'customization' trailer.

When i saw the tuning and dyno stuff, I was fucking excited let me tell you. Then I took an arrow to the knee and it wasn't to be seen in a Forza game since..(gameplay or trailer)....Turn 10 for fuck's sake give me a dyno!

Ty4on

Of course they can fucking change. I loved some of GT1's PAL menu music on the various car manufactures (free from shitty jazz):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tErUuBqumT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haonpbBKIQ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DJU8K06oA

GT1 race menu music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O34cGtOprAo

The jazz shitfest began with GT2.

I do enjoy the Moon Over Castle for the Jap releases though, it's like a theme song. Sad it's missing out on PAL releases, allthough Chemical Brothers' remix for the GT1 intro was amazing.

Nnnnnnope.

If you want 90's electronic music in raceing game menus then hire the old NFS guys.
NFS 2 menu (Unknown, think it's just called "Main Menu")
NFS 2/3 menu (Romulus)
NFS 4 showcase (Callista)
NFS 5 menu (Dr Know)

Includes 1999 music that was reused in a 2010 game for an alien club :p

Niks

Well, you aren't racing at those points. You're clicking through menus and looking through dealerships. So it seems fitting that the music for the menus would sound completely different compared to the music you hear during a race. Menus are laid back compared to racing, so I think jazz and lounge fit well. Plus it's just the series image. We're talking about a series in which the creator presents and award at the Concours d'Elegance. And the car that wins that award ends up in the game.

Agreed, GT is classy. Keep dubstep out of it. If you dont like it theres always custom playlists.

Maybe an option to toggle motion effects would work, I haven't got a problem with GT's replays though. Forza has some that are locked to the car I don't like it at all, they look goofy.

amar212

Shame you cant get too much close. The dents (dont know if it the correct term) start to showing

amarec20130501-184739nur8.jpeg

Yap. I am not sure 100% but if you would take that car to PhotoMode (not Race Photo) the LODX would be used (in Race Photo LODA models are used IIRC). I don't know what are exact switches in details regarding LODX>LODA>LODB>LODC but I presume those "dents" are part of LOD-library that game is using in particular mode.

And of course, some Premiums are modelled better then others.

It felt like a stupid decision by idiotic producers on Sony USA.

I agree 100% with Moon Over the Castle being the only true GT musical theme and all intro-replays for all GT games are made to be sync with particular version of MOTC. However, IIRC, Kazunori said in one of his "Spec 2.0" interviews how Soul on Display is the new "Hymn" of GT series from that moment onward. Maybe Solid can find it somewhere?

Also, the soundtracks for every GT game on PAL/NTSC(US) territories have been complied by GT producers of SCEE/SCEA and their local SonyBMG representatives.

Ty4on

Shame you cant get too much close. The dents (dont know if it the correct term) start to showing

image058.jpg

Polygons. Everything more advanced than the PS1 hides them with smooth shading. It was also the first graphical effect I learned about so it's what sticks out the most. Way too common in PC games for some reason.
Top GT5/FM4 polycounts for cars is several hundred thousands.

doesn't feel right in the car? want to move 10cm to left? do another template. Yay.

Still beats wasting hrs to create something decent with those shitty in game livery creators.

Templates or PNG import is the way to go. I'll edge my bets to the import option as other Japanese devs on PS3 have gone this way.

eso76

Where have all the pics gone ?

FM4 car models, rendered with a proper lighting system. Edit: and shaders, obviously.
As you can see, geometry and detail are there.

Man, i can easily see GT PS4 looking a lot like this.

Gestault

I can actually relate to this. I'm a GT5 dude, but I'm almost ashamed to say it in here lol

edit: On top of that, considering that there are things Polyphony could learn from the Forza developers, GT fans probably shouldnt be talking down to anyone.
GT5 is also full of jank and stupid, unpolished shit. Wake up

GT5 can still be incredibly fun, in the moment, in a race, and it's value really is for those exact moments. My issue is (and why I completely agree with you) that these moments are in spite of a lot of shortcomings. Some peripheral things about the game were simply made poorly. There are many lost opportunities. Worst of all there's things about it which just come off as stagnation or a lack of focus from the creators.

But it's still a game that can put a cold sweat on the back of your neck when you feel yourself losing grip on the last corner of a long race.

saladine1

FM4 car models, rendered with a proper lighting system. Edit: and shaders, obviously.

Really?

I would be absolutely floored if next gen looked like that!

amar212

FM4 car models, rendered with a proper lighting system.

As I have been saying all along - all models genuinely produced for FM4 - and especially DLC models - are simply stunning. FM3 models not so much, but the meshes are crazy as well as details.

That is the only reason I can not wait to see FM5 and I hope how "IBL" lighting is gone and how T10 will finally begin to understand the Kelvins and luminosity issues (as seen in Kojima Productions GDC keynote for example).

But quality of models will be staggering, no doubt.

Ty4on

Damn. Why weren't the next gen consoles just made with some ray tracing HW :p
GT5 interiors are full of polygon edges.

Yeah, neither are perfect. Would love to see the next gen ones with tesselation used to actually remove polygon edges instead of making very smooth concrete blocks.

That's the magic of high quality, physically based, offline rendering. At a certain distance/angles you don't need that many polygons either.

But yeah, tesselation should come in handy for the more rounded parts like wheel archs, wheels, tyres, etc.

eso76

That is the only reason I can not wait to see FM5 and I hope how "IBL" lighting is gone and

it's not ibl's itself fault, though.
It's the accuracy of their ibl system, HDR IBL depth and so on.
In fact ibl works rather well in home space locations, but is nowhere as good ingame.

And shaders. OR lack of shaders; FM4 models have a lot of surface types they 'forgot' to assign shaders to. Still, lighting comes first. Lighting is everything.

GT5, Fox Engine (and GTAV looks close) show you can get away with low poly or even very low poly models; if the lighting is right your brain will be tricked into thinking it's real.

Besides, car commercials' CGI generally use much lower poly models than both Forza and GT5.

I would be absolutely floored if next gen looked like that!

let's say i'll be satisfied if FM5 ingame lighting matches FM4 home space lighting.
A few tweaks to those shaders and it could look glorious.

But knowing PD, GT Ps4 will probably blow us away and exceed our expectations.
I've been reading old "what do you think the next GT will look like" threads for GT3 and 5 and in both cases PD went far beyond neogaf's wildest dreams.

velociraptor

Of course they can fucking change. I loved some of GT1's PAL menu music on the various car manufactures (free from shitty jazz):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tErUuBqumT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haonpbBKIQ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DJU8K06oA

GT1 race menu music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O34cGtOprAo

The jazz shitfest began with GT2.

I do enjoy the Moon Over Castle for the Jap releases though, it's like a theme song. Sad it's missing out on PAL releases, allthough Chemical Brothers' remix for the GT1 intro was amazing.
My man.

Fucking loved GT1's soundtrack. So memorable.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Have you ever used any image editing software, ever?

Want only that fedex layer? Right click, copy layer.
Want to move it 10cm to the left? Choose layer, move it.

How do you think Turn10 actual models their cars? With their livery editor? lol...

The interior for the NSX looks really top notch

http://www.abload.de/img/airuqu.gif[img]

That seems to bea teaser for the GT6 model quality.[/QUOTE]

Damn it PD, make a PS4 version of GT6 or I'll rage.

[quote="eso76, post: 56618576"]
Besides, car commercials' CGI generally use much lower poly models than both Forza and GT5.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that, but anyway I'm pretty sure they subdivide certain parts way beyond what we get ingame in GT5 or Forza. Poly edges are way too noticeable in wheel arches, windows, exhausts or wheels.

PD better watch out.

These all from the 1M poly models right?

I'm going to have to go against the fans of GT5 on the topic of intro music. I think 5oul on Display is much much better than Moon Over Castle. Especially the Spec 2.0 version!

http://youtu.be/U6VOHhIwtBo?t=1m50s

Still sends shivers down my spine!

I think it's much better than the abortion that came with the original release, but Moon Over Castle still has it beat.

I'm not so sure about that, but anyway I'm pretty sure they subdivide certain parts way beyond what we get ingame in GT5 or Forza. Poly edges are way too noticeable in wheel arches, windows, exhausts or wheels.
Well... Ferrari did use Prologue models for such lol

You can't beat PD when it comes to trailers and intros. My favourite songs in GT5 and GT series are the ones done by Daiki Kashi.
The interior for the NSX looks really top notch

airuqu.gif

That seems to bea teaser for the GT6 model quality.

Thats still GT5 quality:

redbullhangar7342.jpg

redbullhangar718.jpg

redbullhangar730.jpg

6814851291_bfcbcc0b75_z.jpg

redbullhangar719u.jpg

Broman1978

Some of the liveries these guys come up with is just amazing!

I don't know how they have the patience to do this. Me, I'm happy to slap on a manufacturer decal and call it a day.

GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

darktower1y.jpg

darktower2.jpg

darktower8.jpg

7f335771b7bef6376dd1b30f2b1da3cc.jpg

8506580723_2331cd5ccc_z.jpg

I STILL cannot believe HOW people can achieve this kind of livery!!!
Just jawdropping!

Top Bottom