• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

shinnn

It's the same you see when you use photomode on the race tracks and look inside the cars.

And what do you mean "like this"?

So the polygon count of the others cars are not the same?

You said I dont play those games because I'm don't look at the others avatar drivers to see what movements they are doing.

I want El Capitain back in GT6.

It's definitely returning:

113143530237.jpg

I hope they've reworked the shit dirt tracks.

that vw jetta wheel is symmetrical, so as you can see the right side is the image of the left. good catch.
to be fair though, we are not supposed to be able to have this camera views, we do because of an exploit.

Theres a lot of things in GT5 interiors that the players would never see but that didn't stop PD from recreating the models with such accuracy:

5252181519_349188592b_z.jpg

5253778474_d45c254bbc_z.jpg

24575675.jpg

5274621741_6efb1f0cb2.jpg

lucernechapelbridget.jpg

170026_1743585156937_1457973225_2885972_4353273_o-2.jpg

Gestault

Here is a real question about GT5's development: Considering they put serious man-hours into creating detail that no one would ever see, while at the same time, only roughly 20% of the car content of the game is actually new, full-detail vehicles while the rest are brought in from GT4/PSP/etc, does that strike anyone else as a misappropriation of effort?

Comparing ~500 cars to ~1000 cars is one thing, but talking full detail, full customization cars, the comparison goes sharply to ~500 cars vs ~200 cars, no longer in GT's favor.

I know it's a design philosophy choice, but it just strikes me as silly to put work to that level into one thing, while leaving other areas barren (track details, track imports, car model imports). I know it's not just me either, as almost every review I read at the time called out the same oddity.

[And with respect, the explanation of "the project didn't have the manpower or time to execute on it" is laughably inadequate, given its budget and release schedule.]

Espada

Here is a real question about GT5's development: Considering they put serious man-hours into creating detail that no one would ever see, while at the same time, only roughly 20% of the car content of the game is actually new, full-detail vehicles while the rest are brought in from GT4/PSP/etc, does that strike anyone else as a misappropriation of effort?

Comparing ~500 cars to ~1000 cars is one thing, but talking full detail, full customization cars, the comparison goes sharply to ~500 cars vs ~200 cars, no longer in GT's favor.

I know it's a design philosophy choice, but it just strikes me as silly to put work to that level into one thing, while leaving other areas barren (track details, track imports, car model imports). I know it's not just me either, as almost every review I read at the time called out the same oddity.

[And with respect, the explanation of "the project didn't have the manpower or time to execute on it" is laughably inadequate, given its budget and release schedule.]

Absolutely. I feel that said effort would be better spent getting more "Premium" level cars into the game instead. This means there are more visually impressive cars which every can appreciate most of the time (re: gameplay) rather than in photo mode. Hell, they could've used that time to add more tracks to the game.

Their priorities are out of whack.

No, because the models that they ended up with are even above the PS3's capabilities. Which means that they created PS4 models. So they'll never need to remodel those cars again. They might touch them up here and there, but for the most part they're ready to go for the PS4.

eso76

You have to consider the fact PD (and T10) will never have to touch those models again.
They are pretty much definitive, ready for next gen and the one after that I think.
in the long run it pays to have future proof models.

Perkel

Banned
Their priorities are out of whack.

You want better graphic instead of more cars to drive. That is some flawed logic here.

Sure standard cars do not look like premium ones or they do not have interiors fully rendered but those cars are almost as good as any other premium car out there from physic standpoint. They do not drive like in GT4.

I spent more hours racing with standard cars than premium ones.

Espada

You want better graphic instead of more cars to drive. That is some flawed logic here.

There is no flawed logic there. The Premium vs Standard split should not exist in the first place. I want a lot of impressive car models. They delivered with the previous entries but failed in GT5. I'm just asking for a return to form.

Sure standard cars do not look like premium ones or they do not have interiors fully rendered but those cars are almost as good as any other premium car out there from physic standpoint. They do not drive like in GT4.

While you enjoyed them, I disliked GT4 assets being used to fill out the game because the team frittered away their time paying loving attention to some stitching in a car. PD will not get any better if we apologize or excuse stuff like this.

Dibbz

There is no flawed logic there. The Premium vs Standard split should not exist in the first place. I want a lot of impressive car models. They delivered with the previous entries but failed in GT5. I'm just asking for a return to form.

While you enjoyed them, I disliked GT4 assets being used to fill out the game because the team frittered away their time paying loving attention to some stitching in a car. PD will not get any better if we apologize or excuse stuff like this.

You think PD is happy it had to use standards? They've always been about cutting edge graphics and you think they need to be told standards are a bit lame? They already know this stuff. Even the tracks, they know some of them are shit which is why they had the split of premium and standard tracks before.

Point is they had to draw a line somewhere since 700 cars weren't magically going to appear in premium detail so they opted to put in GT4 cars because not doing so would leave them with only 200 cars.

Gestault

Particles (think volumetric smoke/rain drops/etc) and sharper image/IQ.

Boom, right there. Actual detail for the cars is right where it needs to be on Premium/Standard cars for either series. Environments could use a boost, but in general, making game-play look closer to photo-mode plus some new special effects is more than enough for me.

Gestault

That's because the game gives you no other option. Some of the best cars in the game are standard cars with no premium counterpart.

Yeah, this was something that sort of bummed me out when there were particular cars I wanted to do a series of races with. Having the PSP version of the Veyron as my only option early on when I had a few tracks with nice straightaways to tackle...kind of a letdown.

Particles (think volumetric smoke/rain drops/etc) and sharper image/IQ.

i will hope they dont start adding camera effects like dof and bloom and lensflare and motion blur and all that shit. It kills me a little.

I also think that textures and shaders could use quite a bit of work. Would love to see the subtle texutre work on a dashboard, and have different kinds of plastics which actually look real instead of the default look they all have.

velociraptor

I refused to drive standard cars.

shinnn

I already answered this. It is.

Look inside your car from the outside, then go look inside the others.

Me neither. Yet it being there IS noticeable, and it adds to the experience quite a bit.

Oh. You are right. The dashboards are the same. BUT, theres some ugly dashboards. I didn't get the point of this though. Looks like some cars were rushed, while others not.

GT-R
I4sSMFq.jpg

LP 560
FINdwgS.jpg

GTR vs LP 560
UsoweEQ.jpg

Ford GT
TQOC2Y7.jpg

F430
1kUhGke.jpg

Corvette
aB3FwyV.jpg

So the polygon count in GT5 varies a lot for each car.

Tried the LP-560 and its indeed that ugly while driving and photomode.

Ty4on

Would you have preferred they ditched this stuff and devoted that time to improving the framerate instead?

I don't think those who worked on optimizing the game also worked on seat belts. Forza has details on parts of the interior you have to hack the game to access and many believed when they had such a poor cockpit view in FM3 that it was to hide the rest of the cockpits when they were (if you look away from poor lightning and materials) in fact pretty well done.

Gestault

Considering the rationalizations I sift through here about how (for example) seeing the detail in-race of other car's dashboards is such an integral part of the experience, while recalling my own time in GT5 and not being able to relate at all, then having some reminders of how it is most of the time in-game, I have to ask:

Are the most enthusiastic defenders of GT5 (I know it applies to most games, but for the sake of conversation I'll point the cannon in their direction) people who actually play the darned game? I always see people make claims that aren't exactly...factual, and half the time are made up, in a game's defense. It's like...I PLAYED this game and that doesn't sound right.

Polyphony

Oh. You are right. The dashboards are the same. BUT, theres some ugly dashboards. I didn't get the point of this though. Looks like some cars were rushed, while others not.

*pics*

So the polygon count in GT5 varies a lot for each car.

Tried the LP-560 and its indeed that ugly while driving and photomode.

Ouch, those dashboards do look terrible in those pics. But in GT5's defense, it seems more like an LOD glitch to me than anything else. If my memory serves me right, those cockpits don't look that low poly or low-res textured in gameplay. I mean, the dash is not even readable in those pictures and I remember driving the GT-R hudless many times. Gonna have to try out the LP-560 like you say.

velociraptor

Ouch, those dashboards do look terrible in those pics. But in GT5's defense, it seems more like an LOD glitch to me than anything else. If my memory serves me right, those cockpits don't look that low poly or low-res textured in gameplay. I mean, the dash is not even readable in those pictures and I remember driving the GT-R hudless many times. Gonna have to try out the LP-560 like you say.

I don't even know how the LP-560 is ugly while driving. lol

It's the third person/world view model, not the first person one.

evolution

I think those are AI cars?

Considering the rationalizations I sift through here about how (for example) seeing the detail in-race of other car's dashboards is such an integral part of the experience, while recalling my own time in GT5 and not being able to relate at all, then having some reminders of how it is most of the time in-game, I have to ask:

Are the most enthusiastic defenders of GT5 (I know it applies to most games, but for the sake of conversation I'll point the cannon in their direction) people who actually play the darned game? I always see people make claims that aren't exactly...factual, and half the time are made up, in a game's defense. It's like...I PLAYED this game and that doesn't sound right.

I'm playing right now lol.

"Most of the time in-game". Nope, that's what cockpits look like from outside while in a replay/photo (or what other cars' cockpit look like while you're driving, I think). When you switch to the in-car replay cameras it loads the LOD back again.

I mean, wow.

shinnn

Of course the dashboard of the cockpit cam is different from the outside view.

Top Bottom