• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Ignoring the cat for a moment, what's the deal with the geometry and textures in this image? It all looks a little... odd.

I'm guessing it was never supposed to be viewed from this angle?

It's an out-of-bounds part of a photomode location (You're not actually sopposed to zoom that far out)

Ignoring the cat for a moment, what's the deal with the geometry and textures in this image? It all looks a little... odd.

I'm guessing it was never supposed to be viewed from this angle?

polyphony don't believe in quality control

zySCK.jpg

Ty4on

Nice pics, but could someone tell me what is up with the lightning in Forza? Is it because they're using phong lightning? They tried to hide in in 4, but it still has that "sun blob" forza 3 really struggled with. Taking a somewhat realistic picture in Forza 3 with the sun reflecting off the car was impossible.

fm3_vw_touareg_2.jpg

Left headlight

Gestault

What's the story with those tyres man?
They look out of place.

My guess is to get the nice exposure on the hood, the tire shader ended up looking a little flat, that happens sometimes in both games. The weird shadow-haze is from an outline-highlighting effect you sometimes see in FPS games, but just a little too bold for this scene. Still, those are very nice shots.

And just to clarify, veeery few of these are my own shots. I tend to curate the community submissions. Like I said, a lot of why some shots in *either* game look better or worse is down to composition. I sure as heck wish I had as much time as I used to for photo-shoots.

ShapeGSX

6UxZyXi.jpg
Nice pics, but could someone tell me what is up with the lightning in Forza? Is it because they're using phong lightning? They tried to hide in in 4, but it still has that "sun blob" forza 3 really struggled with. Taking a somewhat realistic picture in Forza 3 with the sun reflecting off the car was impossible.

Sun blobs exist in real life, too. My car on a sunny day:

The sun blobs on the Forza 4 photo look pretty realistic for a bright day.

Gestault

Nice pics, but could someone tell me what is up with the lightning in Forza? Is it because they're using phong lightning?

I think I know what you're talking about, do you mean the blown-out lighting you sometimes see near the harsh edges on the outline of the car? If it's that, it's a specular highlight. In FM3 you could tell it was sort of a cheaper effect to help give high-contrast scenes some depth, but particularly in FM4, it's pretty darn close to the actual, real-world specular highlight you'll see when the sun is above ~30 degrees in the sky. So long as that "face" of the vehicle is pointed that direction in direct sunlight, you'll notice it in real photography too. Some guys love it and really try to highlight it, I tend to avoid it. For product shoots, they tend to avoid it because it blows out detail for that part of the car, and if it's at an angle, the symmetry can do strange stuff.

Nobody does whites like PD.

vJBluhE.jpg

9bBHbhr.jpg

MgtNEUY.jpg

sFRoRv3.jpg

EDIT: Could we maybe have a limit on how many pictures people have per-post? Some are going way overboard. (I limit myself to no more than five)

Gestault

Could we maybe have a limit on how many pictures people have per-post? Some are going way overboard. (I limit myself to no more than five)

Wanna go with five or fewer? I think that'd make people (meaning me) just pick particularly nice ones. That's probably more in the spirit of the thread. Sorry about the formatting on the last GT5 gallery, the sizing was all over the place on those.

Mascot

I think the evidence speaks for itself: both games can look fucking spectacular in photo mode.

We are very lucky punters, and things are about to get even better. Good times.

I think the evidence speaks for itself: both games can look fucking spectacular in photo mode.

We are very lucky punters, and things are about to get even better. Good times.
iJN0VDBa63GmH.gif

Hell yes.

Between GT5/Forza 4/Horizon/pCars I'm drowning in awesome as it is. The future looks even brighter.

Gestault

Question: Is there already (or would people enjoy) a dedicated photo-mode comparison thread between GT5 and Forza 4/Horizon?

Formatting and post structure would be important, just so it doesn't devolve into an eye-sore post flood-war. Considering how both communities are constantly pumping out really nice photography, and the sense of competition is already there because of people's interest in the games, I feel like that could be fun. I'm uhh...not able to create threads, so someone else would have to do the work if it doesn't already exist.

saladine1

Are you aware that it's already in GT5?

How would it be exclusive?

A mirrored, reverse version. It's also slightly wider and a mile longer than you remember.

Question: Is there already (or would people enjoy) a dedicated photo-mode comparison thread between GT5 and Forza 4/Horizon?

Formatting and post structure would be important, just so it doesn't devolve into an eye-sore post flood-war. Considering how both communities are constantly pumping out really nice photography, and the sense of competition already there because of people's interest in the games, I feel like that could be fun. I'm uhh...not able to create threads, so someone else would have to do the work if it doesn't already exist.
I think this thread sort of serves that purpose.

To be honest, we have kind of overdone the GT5 vs FM4 photomode pics.

No matter which way you look at it, GT5's look far more realistic. Even Forza fanboys admit it. So there isn't even any point in continuing that comparison.

How are you guys getting shots of the interior?

I know Forza relies on some weird glitch at Silverstone which I don't have the patience for, but what about GT5?

After playing lots of both in the past few days, I realise that I'm going to have to make a tough choice next gen when I likely go single console (at least for the foreseeable future). I like them both :[

I do think Forza makes slower cars feel more fun than GT5 though - you can really feel them move around corners in the suspension, etc.

Edit: regarding photomode shots

In my opinion, it's much easier to get good looking shots out of GT5 for whatever reason, and you don't really have to fiddle with the camera settings as much.

Forza seems to require a bit more work and adjustment in-game, but both ultimately produce shots that are pretty much identical to each other. There's been a few times in this thread where I've seen an image and then had to look in the corner to see what game it's from.

Zeth

Which game is more accessible/playable with a controller (I know, I know, only temporary), Forza or GT? Or are they similar? Been on a racing kick lately and I really need to sink my teeth into something beefier than the Codemasters racers I've been playing recently.

Solal

Which game is more accessible/playable with a controller (I know, I know, only temporary), Forza or GT? Or are they similar? Been on a racing kick lately and I really need to sink my teeth into something beefier than the Codemasters racers I've been playing recently.

I'd say Forza by far...

Mascot

More of H3rTz DoNuT's amazing creations:

The Virgin Atlantic Devon was one of my favourites:

7161930400_d1d7f86eb9_z.jpg

7161930270_e12af535e1_z.jpg

7161930530_f9a5a0c4ca_z.jpg

7161930480_f8b338cb9d_z.jpg

7161930440_0807292d1d_z.jpg

To those people here who ONLY have GT5: aren't you just a little bit jealous that Forza owners can find, download and apply multiple liveries like these to their favourite cars in a matter of seconds..?

To those people here who ONLY have GT5: aren't you just a little bit jealous that Forza owners can find, download and apply multiple liveries like these to their favourite cars in a matter of seconds..?

I have both and don't even do that in FM4.

Although I'm not really a Livery person. I'm not even bothered if they put an editor on GT6 or not.

I think for online racing it could be really cool, to have teams in certain liveries etc. But other than that there doesn't seem to be much purpose. I have to say though that some of the work put in to them is breathtaking.

Top Bottom