• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

RefigeKru

Banned
deepbrown said:
Don't know what it is, but one looks like a game and one looks real.

Maybe it's the lighting. In fact, it's prob a mix of lighting and shaders. Not many games (games in general) have lighting as realistic as GT5's.

Earlier in the thread I said I think F3 looks better overall, but I'm actually reconsidering. I've been playing a lot of Prologue and it just stuns me at times, though it's still an unfair comparison as I haven't played the F3 demo yet so who knows. Judging by the media on both sides GT looks better to me, especially the cars, but certain aspects of the environments still look pretty sterile. The lighting in GT is godlike, it's second racer I've ever actually bothered to watch replays for simply because of how good it looks.

The other was PGR4, which in a way is still one of my favourite racers. It looks so good. o:

Tis my fave actually (best spectators in the game). And yeah, they're 3D.

Next to London, it's the High Speed Ring. No doubt. :p

It's really a shame PGR4 never released on PC, @60 fps it could stand toe to toe with GT5. Such an excellent looking game. I'd go so far as to say that some of the nighttime tracks (Shanghai?) look better than Prologue's London track.

nib95

Banned
RefigeKru said:
I could swear the Eiger mountains are 3D, all except the one that's is all the way in the background.

Either way, it's easily the worst looking stage on Prologue.

They ARE 3D. Ignoramus is just that....an ignoramus lol.

Raist

Banned
deepbrown said:
Don't know what it is, but one looks like a game and one looks real.

Maybe it's the lighting. In fact, it's prob a mix of lighting and shaders. Not many games (games in general) have lighting as realistic as GT5's.

Definitely lighting and reflections. GT is in its own league there.

Interfectum said:
The king has always been compared to other racers each gen - it's no achievement at all to be 'mentioned in the same breath' as GT when everyone is doing it.

The same was said of various N64, Saturn, XBox and Dreamcast racers.

Still remember the absurd comparisons with PGR, Sega GT and MSR :lol

Well after the Forza has gone the way of those series we'll no doubt have another pretender to compare the GT series to.

Wow! The Hate is strong within you.

U just make these up? Except for Sega GT most of the other racers are not "sim". PGR is a follow up to MSR which are not the same type of game as GT and could only be compared superficially.

You were just exaggerating for effect. GTFO here with that BS. We get it. PD is your god and master and GT cannot be touched (even though many would say its SURPASSED in most every area except graphics and available vehicles).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
RSTEIN said:
Thank you for this post. I agree that graphically the Forza series has a ways to go. Unfortunately, Forza's graphics are used as a springboard for GT loyalists to trounce on the entire series with a viciousness I've not seen on GAF before (here we are almost 3,000 posts later). I don't understand it.

I would rather look at all the great things that Turn 10 has done in its brief history. Forza 3 is a huge leap over Forza 2. Forza 2 was a huge leap over Forza 1. Every entry is exponentially better than its predecessor.

Polyphony released GT in 1997. Forza was launched in 2005. The Polyphony team has an 8 year head start. What's amazing is that in just 4 years (between F1 and F3) Turn 10 has created a series that can be mentioned in the same breath as the GT series. In fact, many hardcore sim sites, journalists, etc., praise the Forza series for doing many things better than the GT series. This is an incredible feat in such a short time. And I haven't even talked about the disparity of resources and development flexibility.

But this is GAF. Most posters in this thread would rather hate than praise. Life's much easier that way.

I think a lot of it actually has to do with both the director's and the local community manager/troll's arrogance when it comes to Forza 3 and their general disdain for GT5. When you have official employees, which includes the director, of the competition trolling GT5, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect GT fans to get riled up and attack the competition, which in this case is Forza 3.

RefigeKru

Banned
theignoramus said:
It's really a shame PGR4 never released on PC, @60 fps it could stand toe to toe with GT5. Such an excellent looking game. I'd go so far as to say that some of the nighttime tracks look better than Prologue's London track.

It really is a gorgeous game, from the weather effects to the lighting, motion blur... Sooo good. Shanghai, goddamn.

Love the soundtrack too. Nice and varied.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Interfectum said:
The king has always been compared to other racers each gen - it's no achievement at all to be 'mentioned in the same breath' as GT when everyone is doing it.

The same was said of various N64, Saturn, XBox and Dreamcast racers.

Still remember the absurd comparisons with PGR, Sega GT and MSR :lol

Well after the Forza has gone the way of those series we'll no doubt have another pretender to compare the GT series to.

You are a true asset to this site. I've never seen such a warped attitude even among the strongest and most loyal Sony/Xbox/Nintendo/etc. warriors. Please log off the site and return when you can carry on thoughtful and meaningful discussion.

AZ Greg

GSG Flash said:
I think a lot of it actually has to do with both the director's and the local community manager/troll's arrogance when it comes to Forza 3 and their general disdain for GT5. When you have official employees, which includes the director, of the competition trolling GT5, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect GT fans to get riled up and attack the competition, which in this case is Forza 3.

That stuff does lead to some of the insanity, but you must not have been around last generation. Before Turn10 was making "definitive" comments, before Che was hired, etc..., the hate was just as strong.

Forza 3
forza3.png

VS

GT 5
gt5.png

To me GT 5 has better looking cars... but the environment in Forza 3 looks a lot better

MoeB

GSG Flash said:

QFT

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
AZ Greg said:
That stuff does lead to some of the insanity, but you must not have been around last generation. Before Turn10 was making "definitive" comments, before Che was hired, etc..., the hate was just as strong.

I was definitely around last gen, there was some hate from GT fans against Forza, but definitely not on this level. Having been following both games for a little while now, the hate definitely intensified after Che was hired by T10 and Greenawalt made those dumbass comments.

MoeB

Mr. Durden said:
Forza 3
179-0001-86657104.jpg

VS

GT 5
179-0002-28542175.jpg

To me GT 5 has better looking cars... but the environment in Forza 3 looks a lot better
Who cares about the environment! As long as there's a path to follow all I care about is how my cockpit looks like.

If you're walking around with shit in your underwear it doesn't matter if you're in a beautiful garden or not. You're still walking around with shit in your pants.

I think thats just an excuse to bash the opponent for those who already want to do so. A lot of people don't see the comments of Dan/Che like those that choose to let it bother them to the point of being asinine in turn. Its just fuel to the fools who are so invested in their favorite series emotionally that they make it seem as if a family member was attacked and they need to retaliate.

Its sad really.

eso76

chubigans said:
Holy crap, watch this video starting at 6:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h3w9sS8iZQ

The transition to F3 to GT is crazy...and it's mostly thanks to the lighting engine that powers GT.

Damn. Until 6.30 the difference wasn't that huge (mostly very different visual styles, and mini cockpit which is just bad in fm3) but the lighting on that track looked ridiculous.

Though, i think that particular track in fm3 looks too colourful and with too much contrast, i'd like to see a replay on tsukuba or suzuka. Lighting always changes a lot between different tracks in forza, although as a general rule, T10 often resorts to only one light source, neglecting ambient light.

Zinthar

GT5:p clearly has the better lighting engine, but the way the track textures are done in F3 seems to give it an advantage in the sense of speed. Obviously, we should wait until the final games are in to make these types of determinations. Also, I would argue that F3 has the edge in sound (comparing GT5:p to the F3 demo), as well as from a few youtube video comparisons of like cars like this Ferrari F430 one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjBdYzzQng&feature=related

Regardless, the most important factor is the driving physics, and this is probably a matter of preference for most, since few people actually know what a great racing physics engine should feel like. IMO, I prefer Forza, simply because I think Turn 10 does a much better job and giving you the feel of when a car is transitioning from under to oversteer -- that is, giving essential feedback that aids in determining when and to what degree to enter into the gas and brake.

It probably doesn't hurt that the 360 controller handles racing games far better than the DS3.

MoeB said:
Who cares about the environment! As long as there's a path to follow all I care about is how my cockpit looks like.

If you're walking around with shit in your underwear it doesn't matter if you're in a beautiful garden or not. You're still walking around with shit in your pants.
You're kidding right? And cockpit views have always sucked, only the ones in Shift are ok... just that, ok.

And since you didn't see the pics:
Mr. Durden said:
Forza 3
forza3.png

VS

GT 5
gt5.png

MoeB

Interfectum said:
When the only alternative all this time has been the MS wheel you can't blame them for talking up the 360 controller for racing games :lol
Way to pour salt on an open wound.

Interfectum said:
Does anyone have a link to Che's comments about members of PD furiously taking notes at the Forza stand at E3?

And if they were? It's not a secret they are looking at their competitors. They incorporated the driving line from Forza. They are looking to incorporate damage with rollover in GT5 which is already in F3. I wouldn't be surprised if they included a livery in the future.

So Che commented. U Mad?

nib95

Banned
Eiger Mountain was meant to be a part of GT HD. So a better comparison would be F3's city tracks against GT5's Tokyo track and London. But there's misinformation in that screen comparison. The mountains in GT5P are 3D, not 2D (except for one small area). People claiming they are 2D is a common fanboy misconception. Usually from those who have never even played the game.

For the record, in the F3 demo track, there are also parts with 2D backgrounds. So it's not like one game uses them and the other doesn't.

Raist

Banned
theignoramus said:
.This comparison seems fucking biased, but whatever, here's a user submitted ( Flanker22) comparison from gameswire.net

2l51l0.jpg

2q1gzkg.jpg

That might be one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen.

Chrange

Banned
lunlunqq said:
Please excuse my shitty mspaint attempt which is far from enough to point out all the subtle beauty of the screen. If you see more subtle beauty, please feel free to point it out.

Am I doing it right?

Now you need to do one of the GT screen with 'future potential' all over it.

evolution

D'ultimate said:
And if they were? It's not as if they are not looking at their competitors. They incorporated the driving line from Forza. They are looking to incorporate damage with rollover which is in F3. I wouldn't be surprised if they included a livery in the future.

So Che commented. U Mad?
I doubt their looking at forza 3 for damage since their trying to go much further. It would probably be better to look at dirt 2, since thats closer to what their aiming for.

Chrange

Banned
evolution said:
I doubt their looking at forza 3 for damage since their trying to go much further. It would probably be better to look at dirt 2, since thats closer to what their aiming for.

Yeah "their" probably taking notes on what NOT to do, am I right?

:lol

ActionMan

On sound in GT:

The tyre squeal in GT has been pretty accurate as a frequency, but it's just not very varied. Tyres do squeal like that, but the sound is different under braking and under cornering, and it's also different on oversteer, GT fails to make the distinction - tyres just squeal with the same narrow range of frequency all the time. I do hope they fix that.

The engine sounds are as unimpressive as they are in real life for most unmodified stock street cars. And I've seen the videos where Polyphony records engine, intake and exhaust sounds with multiple microphones, but in game You really can't tell wether or not the car has a large or a small turbo (or if it has any sort of forced induction at all), if it has a VVT or any indication of what's been done to the exhaust. You should be able to tell all those things just by ear in the ultimate driving simulation game. Every car and every modification should sound different. A Subaru boxer engine does sound a lot different than an inline 4-banger of an EVO or an inline 6 of a Supra. Their turbo's make very different sounds too, so how come all those cars sound exactly the same in GT? What's worse can't really tell that they're turbocharged. All cars sound N/A in GT. Racecar sounds are more accurate as they actually do make a high pitched annoying drone throughout the race.

Now Forza takes a different approach and overexaggerates engine noises to a point where an MX-5 or a Mini Cooper in stock form sounds as if it has a full aftermarket free flow exhaust and ITB's :) Kinda like they do in the movies. The engine sounds are a lot more varried and You can tell a difference between a V8 and a V6 a lot better, but it also ignores modifications and the sound stays the same (if a bit louder still) when You upgrade the exhaust or swap to a larger S/C.

AKS

bj00rn_ said:
For the love of god please refrain from the "My opinion is fact, just stop debating"-rhetoric, it only makes you look like an idiot.

Not being able to distinguish very basic implied meanings in language suggests to me that you should not attempt to judge the intellect of others. Are you really so inept at reading comprehension that I must explicitly state: "IT IS MY OPINION THAT...." before all of my statements for you to understand the source of the opinion or know what is going on? Who else would be posting statements under my name? I'll give you a hint: All the statements listed next to "AKS" are my opinions unless another individual is cited or quoted. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume English is your second or third language rather than your native language. Or perhaps you suffer from a pervasive developmental disorder? IT IS MY OPINION THAT I really don't care either way.

:lol Its just coincidence that they are doing damage WITH rollover NOW? :lol

GSG Flash said:
I was definitely around last gen, there was some hate from GT fans against Forza, but definitely not on this level. Having been following both games for a little while now, the hate definitely intensified after Che was hired by T10 and Greenawalt made those dumbass comments.

I think it's funny that you're basically whining that someone said things you don't like, so it therefore justified all sorts of nerdy rage. None of which negates the points made by the guy who pointed out that T10 has done incredible things in a short time, and made things better for all gamers because now we have two awesome racing games.

Literally though, you seem to be saying that if someone from turn 10 says their game is the best ever, then the fanboy hordes should flip out and act irrationally.

Sticks and stones friend, we're not 6 years old. Well, most of us anyway.

Raist said:
That might be one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen.
Seriously.

Not only he seemed to choose the worst image he could find og GT5:p, but his points are ridiculous, aren't both Forza and GT using "fake reflections", since neither of them uses raytracing?

And lol at the "low quality backdrop 2D", because when GT:HD come out, there was a lot of discussion, of that background being 3D or 2D and now it's low quality? :lol :lol

Damn this thread, so many laughs. :lol :lol

AKS said:
Not being able to distinguish very basic implied meanings in language suggests to me that you should not attempt to judge the intellect of others. Are you really so inept at reading comprehension that I must explicitly state: "IT IS MY OPINION THAT...." before all of my statements for you to understand the source of the opinion or know what is going on? Who else would be posting statements under my name? I'll give you a hint: All the statements listed next to "AKS" are my opinions unless another individual is cited or quoted. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume English is your second or third language rather than your native language. Or perhaps you suffer from a pervasive developmental disorder? IT IS MY OPINION THAT I really don't care either way.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
I think he's from Norway.

Interfectum said:
Does anyone have a link to Che's comments about members of PD furiously taking notes at the Forza stand at E3?

here:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/b...e-road-to-october-looking-beyond-e3-2009.aspx

Perhaps the most surprising to me was when a couple developers from Gran Turismo makers Polyphony Digital came by to personally get hands-on with Forza 3, all the while taking careful notes, examining our UI system, shooting photos, and directly asking us some pretty interesting questions. The reason I say I was personally surprised was because PD aren’t generally known as a studio to acknowledge that there are racing games that exist beyond their own. Which could explain why the GT franchise has been so stagnant in the racing genre since GT3. So it seems competition is good for the consumer after all. I know for a fact that Turn 10 will never stop pushing racing games to the next level.

did it really happen? che's credibility is shot to pieces after he lied for months to his own community.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mr. Durden said:
Forza 3
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb127/XSamu/forza3.png[IMG]

[B]VS[/B]

[B]GT 5[/B]
[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb127/XSamu/gt5.png[IMG]

To me GT 5 has better looking cars... but the environment in Forza 3 looks a lot better[/QUOTE]

"further car view, hides blemishes"
joke confirmed. :lol

Goldrusher

I've raced on that Eiger track in December 2006.
Forza 2 wasn't even out back then.

But yeah, the mountains are 3D. The time trial mode has an awesome intro with aerial shots of the track surroundings. Somebody needs to capture and/or gif that.

Top Bottom