• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Afrikan

SmokyDave said:
"You could say it's the only racing sim that's shipping this generation."

Errm, you could but you'd be factually incorrect. Even if we pretend there was no PS3 this gen let alone GT5.

Someone send this poor man a copy of Forza 2 and Race Pro. Hell, even GT: PSP could squeeze into the Sim category with all the assists off and pro physics, it certainly isn't arcade.

or SuperCar Challenge.....

any info on the U.S. release date fellas???

Thank God the beta is still up.

SmokyDave

jaypah said:
mmmmm mmm, that's some crazy tasty PR work right there :lol and the obvious people seem agitated. mission accomplished?

Oh come off it. There's good PR and there's downright antagonistic bollocks. That is the latter. Why do you think Krazy Ken got his nickname? 4D & 120FPS ring any bells? Quotes like that don't rile up fanboys, they rile up intelligent people that dislike stupid statements.

I can't believe I forgot Ferrari/Supercar Challenge, I love those games :(

SmokyDave said:
Oh come off it. There's good PR and there's downright antagonistic bollocks. That is the latter. Why do you think Krazy Ken got his nickname? 4D & 120FPS ring any bells?

I can't believe I forgot Ferrari Challenge, I love that game :(

As I said, clearly a joke/burn on GT5's delay. Don't know why everyone's up in arms. Definitive is as silly as "Real Driving Simulator" so they're even on that score.

Really don't get the rabid hate/anger at all.

see5harp

Yea, that's just ridiculous. I love Forza for it's unique stuff like the auction house, amazing liveries, and AI opponents that resemble actual human beings. Just leave it at that.

SmokyDave

BenjaminBirdie said:
As I said, clearly a joke/burn on GT5's delay. Don't know why everyone's up in arms. Definitive is as silly as "Real Driving Simulator" so they're even on that score.

Really don't get the rabid hate/anger at all.

Speaking personally, it's disappointment not hate. I really don't want to see Dan & Kaz coming down to the level of the shit in this thread. Just get on with making great racing games and leave the petty squabbling to forums.

jaypah said:
mmmmm mmm, that's some crazy tasty PR work right there :lol and the obvious people seem agitated. mission accomplished?
Maybe Sony should make another comparison list, I mean they'd just be hyping their own product! No way some of you would react to those lists or comments from Sony....oh wait, nevermind. Your post histories betray you.

Double standards indeed.

SmokyDave said:
Speaking personally, it's disappointment not hate. I really don't want to see Dan & Kaz coming down to the level of the shit in this thread. Just get on with making great racing games and leave the petty squabbling to forums.

Well, sure, I agree completely, but all this "definitive" stuff came after T10 was done. They've done their job, they've made a clearly awesome game. They've got down time now. Smack talk isn't going to have an impact on the quality of the already finished game (and in this instance, wasn't even coming from T10.)

shpankey

not an idiot
Ploid 3.0 said:
One of the older GT's had the line in a test mode (license most likely) and I didn't like it then. When I saw it in the GT5 demo I thought it was stupid that they had it out front like that (seem like it was on by default). Not all people like the colored lines in their racing games. It's distracting to me, I rather have it off.
So what's the problem? Turn it off.

Options are a good thing.

On a related note... does anyone know who was the first to come up with the racing line? I know Nascar Racing 2002 Season had it (which came out late 2001), not sure if Nascar 4 (came before 2002 Season) had it or not. Just wondering how far that option goes back in gaming. I'm sure some earlier game probably had it, but that's the first time I seen it have colors indicating when to brake, accelerate and slow down. Anyone know what game was the first?

CrushDance said:
Maybe Sony should make another comparison list, I mean they'd just be hyping their own product! No way some of you would react to those lists or comments from Sony....oh wait, nevermind. Your post histories betray you.

Double standards indeed.

I think you're thinking about me. You quoted JayPah. I love when people quote my tag and don't even read the post it links to. That "double standard" refers to me actually really liking CG trailers. Weird, huh?

Firewire said:
Yeah whatever, you would be in the center of the explosion if Sony had made such a foolish comment. Keep fighting the good fight birdie!

I probably wouldn't, actually. Have you seen a lot of activity from me in that Tretton thread?

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think you're thinking about me. You quoted JayPah. I love when people quote my tag and don't even read the post it links to. That "double standard" refers to me actually really liking CG trailers. Weird, huh?
No. It was a general response, seeing that LCFiner thinks these comments are "just pr" and Jack Trettons are lies and untrue :) Cute. So many of the people saying "just pr" in this thread have blown a fuse in the past regarding the multitude of Sony's comments. It's hypocritical and sad mang.

CrushDance said:
No. It was a general response, seeing that LCFiner thinks these comments are "just pr" and Jack Trettons are lies and untrue :) Cute.

And yet I'm the one being called out by name and tag by you and Firewire. There's a difference between defending a game and slandering its competitors. I shy away from the latter, so please point your vitriol at someone else.

BenjaminBirdie said:
And yet I'm the one being called out by name and tag by you and Firewire. There's a difference between defending a game and slandering its competitors. I shy away from the latter, so please point your vitriol at someone else.
So Forza isn't competing against GT? O_O Anyway, like I said, it wasn't directed at you just because I said double standards.

CrushDance said:
So Forza isn't competing against GT? O_O Anyway, like I said, it wasn't directed at you just because I said double standards.

Of course it is, that was my point. My posts in this thread, by and large, are defending FM3 not putting down GT5.

Naughtboy said:
How can someone's opinion be discredited??

They can be if they are being discredit by the paid sponsor of such game in question. These sponsor are not bias because they have monetary tie to the game and their show featured in said game. So there really is no conflict of interest at all and opinion of someone who actually was at the show and TRY both demoes on the floor bare no weight whatsoever. (Unless of course the opinion is in favor then his/her opinion is as valid as the paid sponsor.)

shpankey

not an idiot
I ran a test the other night in Forza 2. I have a Mazdaspeed 3 (09) and in the game they have a Mazda 3 and have a lot of Mazdaspeed upgrades. They even had basically the exact same rims on my car for sale. So I basically made my car, exact paint, wheels, wheel size, rims, tires and upgrades. I wanted to see how accurate it was, so I looked up my (real) car's final drive ratio and gear ratios for every gear from the manufacturer... went into the game and tuned my car, setting each setting where it is in real life. Knowing my car like I do, I know my (real) car's exact shift points in relationship to the speed and rpm's (you have to shift this car early as the power drops off dramatically before redline).

Anywhooo.... well, to say that the game was off would be a serious understatement. It was absolutely nowhere near it. My gears and shift points in the game were all screwed up and off. Bad. The only reason I bring this up is because I would think that this kind of thing could be worked out mathematically. If I have the same rim size, tire size, final drive ratio and each gear ratio, they should be able to get it somewhat close, no? Well, it isn't.

Not that it really matters, but I thought a sim of this caliber would have that sort of thing on lock-down.

I was able to manipulate the gearing and change it (not based on real life numbers) to get it to match my shift points in real life and the car came alive and it's awesome. But it would have been lovely to just plug in the real life numbers and have it bang on from the get go. It makes me wonder about their underlying system though.

I want to state that this is in no way a big deal to me, at all really. Just pointing it out and wondering if anyone with some knowledge about this kind of stuff could maybe elaborate on why it isn't.

Cheerio :)

BenjaminBirdie said:
Of course it is, that was my point. My posts in this thread, by and large, are defending FM3 not putting down GT5.
I never disagreed with that, you don't troll and just do your thing. I was talking about others who are quick to forget their standards, didn't mean you by those words.

Yoritomo

shpankey said:
So what's the problem? Turn it off.

Options are a good thing.

On a related note... does anyone know who was the first to come up with the racing line? I know Nascar Racing 2002 Season had it (which came out late 2001), not sure if Nascar 4 (came before 2002 Season) had it or not. Just wondering how far that option goes back in gaming. I'm sure some earlier game probably had it, but that's the first time I seen it have colors indicating when to brake, accelerate and slow down. Anyone know what game was the first?

Ferrari F355 Challenge had it, released in 1999. That's the first I remember.

methane47

shpankey said:
I ran a test the other night in Forza 2. I have a Mazdaspeed 3 (09) and in the game they have a Mazda 3 and have a lot of Mazdaspeed upgrades. They even had basically the exact same rims on my car for sale. So I basically made my car, exact paint, wheels, wheel size, rims, tires and upgrades. I wanted to see how accurate it was, so I looked up my (real) car's final drive ratio and gear ratios for every gear from the manufacturer... went into the game and tuned my car, setting each setting where it is in real life. Knowing my car like I do, I know my (real) car's exact shift points in relationship to the speed and rpm's (you have to shift this car early as the power drops off dramatically before redline).

Anywhooo.... well, to say that the game was off would be a serious understatement. It was absolutely nowhere near it. My gears and shift points in the game were all screwed up and off. Bad. The only reason I bring this up is because I would think that this kind of thing could be worked out mathematically. If I have the same rim size, tire size, final drive ratio and each gear ratio, they should be able to get it somewhat close, no? Well, it isn't.

Not that it really matters, but I thought a sim of this caliber would have that sort of thing on lock-down.

I was able to manipulate the gearing and change it (not based on real life numbers) to get it to match my shift points in real life and the car came alive and it's awesome. But it would have been lovely to just plug in the real life numbers and have it bang on from the get go. It makes me wonder about their underlying system though.

I want to state that this is in no way a big deal to me, at all really. Just pointing it out and wondering if anyone with some knowledge about this kind of stuff could maybe elaborate on why it isn't.

wear and tear?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
m0dus said:
And let me clarify something, because this IWANTTOBELIEVE.JPG nonsense has really got to just die.---the presentation of the demo simply does not encompass the quality in the final game. I'm not talking about magically adding more AA or what have you. I am stating, simply, that the different tracks (which offer some far better lighting scenarios) as well as the plethora of just better looking cars you have at your disposal take the overall visual experience up a notch. It makes for a far better impression than the demo, period.

Oh, and it wipes the floor with Forza 2. That I CAN easily attest to.

IWANTTOBELIEVE,AGAIN.jpg

Seriously: Live feed of the final retail build Che or m0dus on the 8th. Otherwise the demo has soured my want of Forza 3. Simple as that. If the demo really is that bad looking to the final, someone needs to get on MS' ass to pull it and make a new demo that at least looks like the final version.

shpankey

not an idiot
methane47 said:
wear and tear?
What do you mean? my 09 real car doesn't have many miles on it yet. but when I say it was off, I mean REALLY off. for instance... on average the gearing for each gear was off by more than 20 miles per hour.

Firewire

Banned
CrushDance said:
I never disagreed with that, you don't troll and just do your thing. I was talking about others who are quick to forget their standards, didn't mean you by those words.

Don't be fooled, birdie likes to point out "Sony fans" whenever possible. He likes to pull strings lightly but he still pulls on them.

TheSeks said:
IWANTTOBELIEVE,AGAIN.jpg

Seriously: Live feed of the final retail build Che or m0dus on the 8th. Otherwise the demo has soured my want of Forza 3. Simple as that. If the demo really is that bad looking to the final, someone needs to get on MS' ass to pull it and make a new demo that at least looks like the final version.

You'll probably be disappointed. He's gone on to explain that it's because further venues and other car models are more impressive than those featured in the demo, not that the engine has been improved since.

jaypah

SmokyDave said:
Oh come off it. There's good PR and there's downright antagonistic bollocks. That is the latter. Why do you think Krazy Ken got his nickname? 4D & 120FPS ring any bells? Quotes like that don't rile up fanboys, they rile up intelligent people that dislike stupid statements.

I can't believe I forgot Ferrari/Supercar Challenge, I love those games :(

1) the fuck?

2)no, fanboys are riled up. doesn't mean intelligent people can't be too. though if you're getting riled up about shit like this i'd probably question your intelligence.

SMILE!

shpankey

not an idiot
On a somewhat unrelated note (I just don't want to start a thread). Man, I'd kill for Turn10 to pick-up the license and continue the series for Rallisport Challenge. I bring this up b/c the 2009 season for WRC just kicked off and it's got me jonesin for another awesome game in that series. I still don't know why it got dropped. Hot damn those games rocked.

Firewire

Banned
shpankey said:

Getting everything down life like is damn hard for both Turn10 and PD. PD I think does a better job of it to a degree but when you have the time they do compared to the Forza team its understandable.

Just keep adjusting till she feels right and then hopefully you can save the settings?

Cheeto

shpankey said:

So what your saying is that your Mazdaspeed3 doesn't match up with an upgraded mazda 3? That sounds about right...they're actually pretty different.

SmokyDave

TheSeks said:
IWANTTOBELIEVE,AGAIN.jpg

Are you really serious? As in, do you own a 360 and had you intended to buy Forza until the demo? Do you typically enjoy sim racers?

I won't pretend it's the best looking game out there but fuck, you'd really not get the game due to the graphics? It could look like Forza 1 and still be an excellent sim. It's the gameplay that matters and Forza seems to have bucketloads of it.

I'm so glad I started on the 2600 & the C64. I can enjoy a sim like GT:pSP without worrying about how many pixels it pushes.

Firewire said:
Don't be fooled, birdie likes to point out "Sony fans" whenever possible. He likes to pull strings lightly but he still pulls on them.

Evidence?

Come on, Firewire. It's not 2006 anymore. I don't run around throwing grenades anymore. I'm a grown up now. You know I don't pull the kind of shit you're accusing me of. You know that pretty much every post I posted in this thread is about explaining the benefits I perceive Forza 3 as providing and diffusing this idea that T10 is on some kind of maniacal tirade of lies. You want to keep painting me with a three year old brush, go right ahead, but everyone who reads my posts knows that's not the way things are anymore.

jaypah

CrushDance said:

Double standards indeed.

*looks around*

are you sure you meant to quote me? i've never said anything negative about GT at all. i think Sony is a good company when it comes to video games and the PS3 is a great console. what the hell are you talking about?

SmokyDave

jaypah said:
1) the fuck?

2)no, fanboys are riled up. doesn't mean intelligent people can't be too. though if you're getting riled up about shit like this i'd probably question your intelligence.

SMILE!

1; The fuck.

2; You think coming off as knowing nothing about the marketplace is good PR? If you think I'm a butthurt GT fanboy go through my post history. I find his comment offensively stupid. Like the Shift PR guy that didn't know that WRC WRX' had a roll cage.

Also, when you point out 'the obvious people' you kinda demarcate yourself as a member of the opposite camp.

jaypah said:
*looks around*

are you sure you meant to quote me? i've never said anything negative about GT at all. i think Sony is a good company when it comes to video games and the PS3 is a great console. what the hell are you talking about?

He did mean you because you were the one cheering on the retarded PR comment. "Crazy tasty" I believe you described it.

shpankey

not an idiot
TheSeks said:
IWANTTOBELIEVE,AGAIN.jpg

Seriously? Dude, it's not like the graphics are bad... and the game (demo) is so damn good play wise. If you just want graphics, then why not just play tech demo's or watch video's all day? At some point you have to just appreciate the gameplay and mechanics and fun factor and just let the other things go that bother you. To me, the game looks stunning. I don't think the cars or the lighting on the cars look near as good as GT5's but imo the rest of the graphics (environmental graphics) are just as much ahead of GT5 as GT5's cars are ahead of FM3's. If I had to pick one over the other, I'd easily pick the environmental graphics, just b/c you spend most of your time looking at those. Especially if you race in car or bumper/hood view.

That's not even to mention the A.I. in FM3 being outstanding. Something the GT series just flat out sucks at. Add in the sound, which is so much better it's frustrating for me to play GT with the blender noise it puts out. I spend so much money in real life to make my car's sound awesome, it means that much to me.

I dunno man, just seams shallow is all. If all you're going by is graphics alone (and even then, you're basically just talking about the car's and the lighting on the cars).

Not trying to call you out, at all. Just your view strikes me as bizarre is all.

jaypah said:
*looks around*

Omg :lol I'm not calling out anyone in particular, well except LC since he switched opinions so fast. I just used your post to highlight how it works both ways :p It's cool.

CrushDance said:
No. It was a general response, seeing that LCFiner thinks these comments are "just pr" and Jack Trettons are lies and untrue :) Cute. So many of the people saying "just pr" in this thread have blown a fuse in the past regarding the multitude of Sony's comments. It's hypocritical and sad mang.

Agreed 100%. So true, its very annoying.

jaypah

SmokyDave said:
1; The fuck.

2; You think coming off as knowing nothing about the marketplace is good PR? If you think I'm a butthurt GT fanboy go through my post history. I find his comment offensively stupid. Like the Shift PR guy that didn't know that WRC WRX' had a roll cage.

Also, when you point out 'the obvious people' you kinda demarcate yourself as a member of the opposite camp.

He did mean you because you were the one cheering on the retarded PR comment. "Crazy tasty" I believe you described it.

*sigh* never said you were a fanboy. just that if you're letting PR for a video game rile you up i'd question your intelligence. that still stands. personal belief, etc.

also, from the Sony PR thread earlier:

LCfiner said:
:lol

it's been a while since we've seen some tasty executive spin to chow down on.

Now it's time for an MS exec (My favorite is Greenberg) to spout some shit.

jaypah said:
he's about as insane so yeah, that'd be awesome.

Nintendo execs tend to work better in .gif form. they're a more visual form of hilarity.

and then this. which is why i said it's crazy tasty.

hey i have no problem with people calling me out and bringing my post history into it. but at least fucking read it first.....especially when it pertains to the very subject at hand.

mmmmm mmm.

CrushDance said:
Omg :lol I'm not calling out anyone in particular, well except LC since he switched opinions so fast. I just used your post to highlight how it works both ways :p It's cool.

it's all good dude.

SmokyDave

jaypah said:
*sigh* never said you were a fanboy. just that if you're letting PR for a video game rile you up i'd question your intelligence. that still stands. personal belief, etc.

also, from the Sony PR thread earlier:

and then this. which is why i said it's crazy tasty.

hey i have no problem with people calling me out and bringing my post history into it. but at least fucking read it first.....especially when it pertains to the very subject at hand.

mmmmm mmm.
it's all good dude.

No worries, understood. Let our avatars share a beer.

I wasn't looking at your history btw, I was inviting you to check mine.

shpankey

not an idiot
Cheeto said:
So what your saying is that your Mazdaspeed3 doesn't match up with an upgraded mazda 3? That sounds about right...they're actually pretty different.
Did you even read my post? You can turn the Mazda into a Mazdaspeed basically. When you upgrade your car, in the game, it actually has the Mazdaspeed upgrades.

But even if it doesn't. What goes into a car's shift points exactly (this is an honest question, I don't know the answer to)? So I'm asking.

I bought the 6 speed tranny. In the tuning options, you can tune your car's final drive ratio and also tune the gearing for each and every gear. So, using the manufacturer's numbers, I plugged those in. I used 18 inch wheels (same as mine) and the same tires as mine. So I know the transmission is right and the wheels and tires are right. In older cars, I know the transaxle comes into play and maybe the flywheel? So again, I'm asking (politely) what else can be making it so far off? I know the engine would make a difference as far as shift point in relation to the RPM's. But like I said, the game was so far off that it left me scratching my head.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to play smart here. I admit I don't know a lot about the subject. Which is why I was asking. I didn't really appreciate the smart-elec response, as you obviously mis-read my post (if you read it all even) if you thought I was trying to be anything other than inquisitive.

I understand everyone in here's just automatically on the defensive towards any post. But feel free to look at my post history (as I know some do) if you think I'm trying to be hateful towards Turn10, MSFT or Xbox.

jaypah

SmokyDave said:
No worries, understood. Let our avatars share a beer.

I wasn't looking at your history btw, I was inviting you to check mine.

don't need to check it, i have no reason to think you're a fanatical fanboy. i've seen you around enough. cheers.

AndyD

aka andydumi
shpankey said:
On a somewhat unrelated note (I just don't want to start a thread). Man, I'd kill for Turn10 to pick-up the license and continue the series for Rallisport Challenge. I bring this up b/c the 2009 season for WRC just kicked off and it's got me jonesin for another awesome game in that series. I still don't know why it got dropped. Hot damn those games rocked.

Not likely to happen. For one, PD seems to have picked up the WRC license. And also, there is another WRC game coming out in the spring I think for multiple paltforms.

SmokyDave

CrushDance said:
That is the kinkiest thing I've ever read Smokey :lol

Couldn't help myself. He's crazy tasty and we just shared a beer. Seemed natural to offer to show him my history. He turned me down, said he'd seen me around :(

Edit:
jaypah said:
but is it crazy tasty?

Ha-ha!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
SmokyDave said:
Couldn't help myself. He's crazy tasty and we just shared a beer. Seemed natural to offer to show him my history. He turned me down, said he'd seen me around :(
And that is quite possibly the most disturbing summary I have read on this forum.

Ever.

Anyway, mine's a Guinness, thanks.

Firewire

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think we've all reached the beer sharing portion of this thread.

Chin chin!

The official beer for fans waiting for the real & definitive racing sims of the generation.

heineken.jpg

LCfiner

CrushDance said:

I didn't "switch opinions". and I never said that it was "just PR" for Turn 10 so it's acceptable on one side and not on another.

jack Tretton's comment in the Forbes article are self serving. So are Turn 10s comments about being "definitive". they're both pretty much the same to me. heck, I called out the definitive comment in that other thread.

And I've commented in the Tretton thread that the industry is usually unstable and not at its best when any one player dominates (see: Nintendo screwing over third parties in the NES days)

The only comment that has gotten me upset in this entire thread was the one about players who might use the rewind feature shouldn't even be playing racers.

aside from that, I'm just having fun in all these threads.

Top Bottom