• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

elektrixx

Banned
eek5 said:
No you can buy all of those. The import thing is only if you want them for free.

Some of those are gift cars too iirc
So to clarify, the only DLC I really need (exclusivity wise) is the VIP pack?

I want to walk into Fourza doing everything right, so thanks a lot for your help.

eek5

elektrixx said:
So to clarify, the only DLC I really need (exclusivity wise) is the VIP pack?

I want to walk into Fourza doing everything right, so thanks a lot for your help.
That sounds right to me

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
guest1321 said:
Has anyone noticed a weird sounds while driving around the speedways. It is very subtle and it sounds similar to tires sliding, but it isn't as sharp. It is almost the same sound as someone hawking a loogie.

I noticed a weird sound yesterday on Sedona Speedway but I put it down to HDMI + old television built in speakers + some shitty built in coding or something when I took my 360 to the missus house. I'm not getting any problems (Speedway sound or this 'popping' sound people have been mentioning) with my Logitech speakers at home connected to AV leads. *shrug*

nismogrendel said:

Decrease rebound drastically, especially in the front. Increase bump stiffness drastically.

Make sure the car you're using isn't front heavy, you want as much weight on the rear wheels as possible.

Tune your gearing to your dyno curve. First gear should be lengthened considerably to grab traction, tune 2nd gear close to 1st and tune 2nd 3rd and 4th to your dyno curve, where peak hp/tq occurs to maximize your gains and stay in your powerband.

Use telemetry after practice drag runs to monitor tire temperature. Adjust tire pressure until it's at ideal temperature, i.e. 200 degrees for maximum traction.

Use lightweight wheels. Use narrow front tires but maximum width rear. Disregard this for AWD, you want max traction in that case so max out tire width. Use drag slicks.

Don't use a wing, but definitely use a front bumper tuned to maximize speed.

Play with diffs if you know how to adjust them to lock correctly.

I've got more but it's late. If you don't understand any of that, do some research.

Izayoi

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Decrease rebound drastically, especially in the front. Increase bump stiffness drastically.

Make sure the car you're using isn't front heavy, you want as much weight on the rear wheels as possible.

Tune your gearing to your dyno curve. First gear should be lengthened considerably to grab traction, tune 2nd gear close to 1st and tune 2nd 3rd and 4th to your dyno curve, where peak hp/tq occurs to maximize your gains and stay in your powerband.

Use telemetry after practice drag runs to monitor tire temperature. Adjust tire pressure until it's at ideal temperature, i.e. 200 degrees for maximum traction.

Use lightweight wheels. Use narrow front tires but maximum width rear. Disregard this for AWD, you want max traction in that case so max out tire width. Use drag slicks.

I've got more but it's late. If you don't understand any of that, do some research.
And this is why I will never, ever race online, at least in non-stock or tuner series.

pmj

guest1321 said:
Has anyone noticed a weird sounds while driving around the speedways. It is very subtle and it sounds similar to tires sliding, but it isn't as sharp. It is almost the same sound as someone hawking a loogie.
Someone told you no, but I heard this too. I thought for sure the wheels were somehow spinning or that I was somehow sliding even when going at constant speed in a straight line. I've only driven on an oval once and I forget which one it was, and that's the only time I heard it.

I wrote it off as a bug as it didn't seem to affect handling. But hey, maybe there's a reason for cars to sound like that.

Seanspeed

Banned
Izayoi said:
And this is why I will never, ever race online, at least in non-stock or tuner series.
Why? You can just go and buy a top-tune from the storefront for cheap(or even free).

Oh and Spaceman - you better believe that your Road America time is my first priority after getting off work! hehe

Arucardo

0 credits/exp bug hit twice now, happened in my third race for the first time :| . Adjusting difficulty before every race didn't help...

Izayoi said:

Did you know that on every dynograph, real life or in-game, the line of torque crosses horsepower at 5252 RPM every single time? Horsepower is just a function of torque, but now you'll see it in every dynograph. You're welcome.

CrudeDiatribe said:
Anyway you can fire the NRL logo over to me? Want to put it on a C425 Miata with a different paint scheme/number than the one you put in the garage. Same body kit, but I couldn't find those wheels.

Spec Miata racing should be a thing the club does (and spec S2000 and spec Solstice).
I kind of want to remake it first, it's current shape is not good for using in designs on both doors well.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Wow just got the game, and i get a "disc unreadable" message, only game i have this problem. I also have some of the new xbox 360 games that use the new disc format and they play fine.

What the fuck MS.

TheOddOne

Forza Motorsport 4 Debut Overtakes FIFA 12 In UK Charts
Turn 10 Studios and Microsoft's Forza Motorsport 4 was the best-selling game in the United Kingdom in its debut week, outselling FIFA 12 by just over 700 copies.

According to tracking firm GFK Chart-Track, sales for the title represent the largest UK launch for a racing game in Xbox 360 history.

Also debuting this week is FIFA competitor Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 from Konami, which placed 5th, just as its predecessor did during its debut week last year.

The only other debut to crack the top ten for the week is Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge at number 10.

Below are Chart-Track's all-platforms sales charts, which include unit sales of all versions of a given title, and the individual platform charts, which treat individual SKUs separately.

UK All-Platforms Top 10

1. Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft)
2. FIFA 12 (Electronic Arts)
3. Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft)
4. Rage (Bethesda)
5. Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (Konami)
6. Gears of War 3 (Microsoft)
7. Dark Souls (Namco Bandai)
8. Zumba Fitness (505 Games)
9. F1 2011 (Codemasters)
10. Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge (Alternative)

UK Individual Platforms Top 10

1. Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft, Xbox 360)
2. FIFA 12 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360)
3. FIFA 12 (Electronic Arts, PlayStation 3)
4. Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft, Wii)
5. Rage (Bethesda, Xbox 360)
6. Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (Konami, PlayStation 3)
7. Gears of War 3 (Microsoft, Xbox 360)
8. Rage (Bethesda, PlayStation 3)
9. Zumba Fitness (505 Games, Wii)
10. Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (Konami, Xbox 360)

Snubbers

BoobPhysics101 said:
Did you know that on every dynograph, real life or in-game, the line of torque crosses horsepower at 5252 RPM every single time? Horsepower is just a function of torque, but now you'll see it in every dynograph. You're welcome.

That's only for imperial units (BHP / ft-lbs) isn't it? the cross over point is obviously different depending on the units used IIRC*

*Awaits correction.. :)

caramac

So l bought the speed wheel on the way home from work last night, been on it for a couple of hours this morning .....l just need someone to tell me it will get better.

BoobPhysics101 said:

Thanks for the tips, I'll give these a shot. I had already done the wide/narrow wheel thing. Turned PSI down to around 27 but from other things im reading I think I went the wrong way on that.

My car is a 500hp Pontiac GTO, best I got was low 12s. Hopefully I can shave some off.

G Rom

About importing, if someone gifts you the DLC cars, you'll get them in FM4, even if you don't own the DLCs yourself. It doesn't work with the VIP/LCE cars though as these can't be gifted...

gragy10

Finally sat down with this for a few hours last night - well impressed and looking forward to getting stuck in with World Tour and multiplayer.
One question I'm sure has already been asked - any way of seeing the PI on the level up car options? Am selecting blind atm which is frustrating when it's a range that I don't have any sort of preference for

G Rom said:
About importing, if someone gifts you the DLC cars, you'll get them in FM4, even if you don't own the DLCs yourself. It doesn't work with the VIP/LCE cars though as these can't be gifted...
someone gift me the scooby, stat!

gragy10 said:
Finally sat down with this for a few hours last night - well impressed and looking forward to getting stuck in with World Tour and multiplayer.
One question I'm sure has already been asked - any way of seeing the PI on the level up car options? Am selecting blind atm which is frustrating when it's a range that I don't have any sort of preference for

Not that I've found. But again I haven't had time to play much with work getting crazy and then getting sick.

Haven't played for 4-5 days =(

CaramaC said:
So l bought the speed wheel on the way home from work last night, been on it for a couple of hours this morning .....l just need someone to tell me it will get better.

I was looking to buy one tomorrow in town. Is it not good at all then?

p3tran

Banned
so I was just doing my first test drive on the viper I'm working on, and guess what?!

img_2204zqrl.jpg

caramac

NaughtyPrawn said:
I was looking to buy one tomorrow in town. Is it not good at all then?

Its probably nothing more than a learning curve having played Forza 2,3 and 4 with the standard controller ......l'll stick with it and hopefully it will show benefits.
Must admit though l'm finding it a horrible experience so far.

*edit, first world problems eh?

p3tran

Banned
CaramaC said:
Its probably nothing more than a learning curve having played Forza 2,3 and 4 with the standard controller ......l'll stick with it and hopefully it will show benefits.
its a bit strange for me too. I havent played enough with it, but I can clearly see the benefits both in precision turning/opposite steer, and throttle/brake too.
it just feels akward at first and easy to overdo it.
and holding it like a joypad made me realize that I hold the joypad not straight but titlted while I play. so at first, all my cars would always pull to the right when using the air wheel and I go wtf?! lololz
I think given its time, it will work good.

CaramaC said:

I also picked it up last night and it would appear I am having a similar but slightly better experience than you. I really like being able to make smooth turns through corners now and that has made a big difference for me taking corners in general. The triggers are a big improvement due to the extra travel but after using a 360 controller for 5 years it is going to take me a while to adjust. I find myself using half the trigger because it is bigger than I expected but that will probably change with time. The button placement has made trying manual with clutch a more viable option which surprised me. I always wanted to try this but the finger gymnastics required on a regular controller was asking too much.

My only complaint so far is the rumble, it's there but is really, really weak and it doesn't give you the same feedback when losing traction that a controller does. I am going to stick with the wheel because after playing all the Forza games with a controller it's a different experience but the jury is still out.

kazinova

CaramaC said:

*edit, first world problems eh?
I found a problem switching between the speed wheel and a regular controller. Sometimes the game would not recognize the wheel and change the control scheme to match.

You can also try tweaking the wheel settings in the options menu, I've found the default settings to be great but everyone expects a wheel to behave differently, so you might want to try fiddling with that stuff.

h3ro

Diablohead said:
I have the mini code but not redeemed it yet.
OK. I'll send the Scooby your way when I get on later today. Gotta make more credits if I'm gonna be the STi distribution center :p.

I don't mind sending out the Subaru to anyone else, but I'd appreciate one of the other DLC cars if anyone has them.

skyfinch

sneaky77 said:
Mr skyfinch it took me 36 damn laps to beat your tsubuka time in the HBK lol

That is a fun event and a fun car to drive. I will have my revenge.

Mascot said:
What? You're shitting me! Seriously? WHY?

Don't think a lot of people noticed, or will notice, but yeah, it's weird that they removed it.

Edit, good to hear the game had a great launch in the UK.

NE1WeKnow

Neo Member
Check the previous page for comments and tips on the Speed Wheel's "features". I've spent a half-hour with it and I see the potential if I put the effort in. Turn 10 need to patch those issues tho.

saladine1

Alright, for the first time in the Forza series, I can finally drift somewhat. Now I know why people love the sport....it's so fucking satisfying!

On top of GAF club for Tsukuba!

mil6es

saladine1 said:
Alright, for the first time in the Forza series, I can finally drift somewhat. Now I know why people love the sport....it's so fucking satisfying!

On top of GAF club for Tsukuba!

barney-stinson-challenge-accepted_thumb.jpg

yep now I have to crush your score when I get home

Bravoexo

Speed Wheel Oversteering issue, I'd say was the first problem I felt about it. I always forget to straighten out the wheel first before pressing the throttle. What happens in turns is, as I slide, I forget to loosen my pressing the throttle, hence it'll oversteer.

Then there was the nearly, or hardly felt rumble. But i finally felt it off this controller...

Ofcourse the lack of bumper buttons goes without saying.

Switching controller needs you to sign in and out.

Bravoexo said:
Speed Wheel Oversteering issue, I'd say was the first problem I felt about it. I always forget to straighten out the wheel first before pressing the throttle. What happens in turns is, as I slide, I forget to loosen my pressing the throttle, hence it'll oversteer.

Then there was the nearly, or hardly felt rumble. But i finally felt it off this controller...

Ofcourse the lack of bumper buttons goes without saying.

Switching controller needs you to sign in and out.

well, the oversteer thing....that is what really happens. switching to a wheel, you kind of appreciate more when you need to get back on power, where your car is pointed, etc. I have been tuning a 355 Challenge and the snap oversteer on throttle, especially coming out of a turn, is nasty with the speed wheel. it bites hard. but you can recover because the wheel has that extra touch on steering and throttle.

my biggest problem is after a few hours my shoulders are dead, and i get really sloppy holding it.

Tabs

Went back to World Tour last night, but it was really really hard seeing some of my times beat in rivals and not going immediately back to that. So much time, so little to do...strike that, reverse it.

Will there eventually be a higher level we need to reach to stay in the club? I like having GAF rivals to race against.

Either way, I'll probably reach level 20 by Wednesday and Thursday. Too many responsibilities getting in the way lately.

Trav said:
Went back to World Tour last night, but it was really really hard seeing some of my times beat in rivals and not going immediately back to that. So much time, so little to do...strike that, reverse it.
I'm not rushing, that's one reason why I was so burned out with forza 3 so quickly. Let this game stew slowly over the next 2 or so years.

Top Bottom