• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
watership said:
About the damage modeling, I completely disagree. There is more specific damage, a larger range of damage types and more parts fly off the cars.

Just try one game of Top Gear Soccer to test it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baJ_ygt4ow8
Holy shit how is it even possible to get a game of Top Gear Soccer started online with fuckwits voting to skip map and boot people indefinitely?

So broken. So very, very broken. Get a full lobby? People leave and your back to square one spending 20 minutes connecting to someone while the same dipshits keep voting to skip the same two maps over and over and voting to boot people -which doesn't go away or let you start the match until the vote is finished. The frustration is only aided by those who don't vote at all :/

Terrible, terrible online experience with that.

Hawk269 said:
What do you mean by "I do wish we had some more city tracks"??? There are NO city tracks in the game at all. Not being a smart ass, but that is the issue is that there are NO city tracks.
Hehe. True. More than zero I guess.

I haven't raced on every last track just yet, so I still held the possibility open that there was one hiding in there ;P

Hawk269

NullPointer said:
Hehe. True. More than zero I guess.

I haven't raced on every last track just yet, so I still held the possibility open that there was one hiding in there ;P

lol...yeah I wish. I purposely refused to play any of the new tracks until they appeared in the World Tour, this way they were fresh and new to me. Even though they would show up in multiplayer, I wanted to keep them fresh since the lack of new tracks is so slim. I do love the new versions of the old tracks, but it is still not enough.

For all the grief that New York did get, at least it was a change of pace to the other tracks and even in F3 it was the only real city track. I would welcome it with open arms right now. It would look nice with the new lighting model, have 2 lighting settings like other tracks.

Aptos

DoctorWho said:
Fuck. I want one now.

I couldn't recommend one high enough for those of us without hundreds of bucks to spend on a Fanatec setup. The one issue is if you like tuning, you can't tune with the speed wheel as it has no shoulder buttons. I end up switching between my speed wheel and controller. It's annoying to think about, but in practice it's not that bad. I always just switch while the game is loading.

Also: whenever you reconnect the speed wheel the game thinks it's a proper wheel, so you'll need to set it to use controller setup 5 so you can shift with x and b.

Hawk269 said:
What do you mean by "I do wish we had some more city tracks"??? There are NO city tracks in the game at all. Not being a smart ass, but that is the issue is that there are NO city tracks.
turn10 remaking new york full BELIEVE!

pmj

The Top Gear test track is the most challenging track in the game by far. It doesn't seem to matter how many laps I do, I still can't get the hang of it. Long after I stopped getting dirty laps and going through corners sideways, I'm not being any quicker.

The thing that hits me when I watch the replay of the person I'm racing is that he's not really doing a very good job either. He DOES go through some corners sideways, and brakes far too hard sometimes. And I still can't beat him. It's disheartening. At least they still reward you with credits for all those laps you did, even if you never even got close to winning.

As for city tracks, they ought to nab the ones Bizarre created for the PGR games. The legwork is already done on them, finishing them up to suit Forza can't be that hard.

reggie said:
Am I shit, or is it normal to start getting beat by the AI in the third/fourth season? I noticed no ramp up in difficulty, I went from destroying the AI to being destroyed.

I thought this too and kept restarting then I realised it was a mixed class race. Lol

Face palm.

pmj said:
The Top Gear test track is the most challenging track in the game by far. It doesn't seem to matter how many laps I do, I still can't get the hang of it. Long after I stopped getting dirty laps and going through corners sideways, I'm not being any quicker.
That blasted second to last corner, Bacharach I think. I just can't seem to get the right turn-in point to sweep through it like a champ, so I always spaz out there a bit. The Hammerhead isn't as daunting as I would've thought though.

Some tips from the Top Gear site:

Top Gear.com said:
The start-finish line is situated right outside the TG studio, meaning your getaway is in full view of the cameras… and Jeremy. Load up the revs and drop the clutch in a puff of tyre smoke and you'll look like a hero: stall it and you'll look like a tit.

Either way, you'd better get the power down quickly before you hit the Crooner Curves, a tricky, fast left-hander with two apexes and a devilish camber.

Chicago is up next: round the right-hand side of the tyre wall and into a steady-state right-hander. This corner tests just how well-balanced a car is as it loads up on the outside tyres, but it has foxed the odd celebrity - most memorably Billie Piper, who completely lost her way. Bless.

Foot down and up to the end of the runway, where the Hammerhead lurks. A tricky left-right that weeds out the understeerers, it's a scary name and an even scarier corner. Overcook the entry and there's a couple of acres of thick Surrey bracken to negotiate your way out of. Not good for the lap time, that.

Out of the Hammerhead - where the Koeniggsegg CCXR got tyre-hungry before we fitted it with a new wing - and into the Follow Through. So called because you just might if you take it flat out, it's the fastest corner on the circuit. Tyre wall on the right, verge on the left, and just enough room to squeeze through slightly sideways.

Now you're back on the runway, hitting fourth if you've got the exit from the Follow Through right. Down to Bacharach - a soothing name, but a tricky, high-speed left-hander. Designed to test brake balance, it rewards those late on the anchors. Not too late, mind, or you'll be on the verge.

Bacharach successfully negotiated, there's just one corner left: Gambon. This was originally called Carpenters Corner - whether after the woodcutting occupation or the 1970s band has become lost in time - but was hastily renamed after Sir Michael drove it on two wheels in a jacket and tie. Genuine class.

Flat out and it's back across the start-finish line. The lap time? Hopefully somewhere north of Richard Whiteley's heroic 2:06 in the original Reasonably Priced Car, but if you're closing in on the Renault F1 car's sub-one minute time, things are going well.

And just remember: however well you reckon you're doing, it'll still be slower than the Stig. Sorry.
Link

JetBlackPanda said:
I thought this too and kept restarting then I realised it was a mixed class race. Lol

Face palm.
lol

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
holy shit i'm dumb.

i have been sooo god damn frustrated with a career race i've been struggling with all afternoon. its one of the latter seasons (the last?) and its a R3 race where you HAVE to pick a gt2 car on leguna seca - no sweat i have my risi F430GT! buuuut, no matter how well i drive i'm also second to this bastard other car! if i'm lucky, i can get ahead of the pack after the first big left by racing dirty, but it seems to be only a matter of time that this same bastard passes me in this 5 lap race. so i restart. again and again. ok, let me try my BMW. nope, i do even worse. ok, let me buy another car. woah, the FXX is beastly! 2,500,000 mill? "eh, ok, if it helps me pass this race" i think. load up race and "SORRY, you need a GT2 car, REMEMBER?

damn it!

so i take a break and do some rivals - still pissed - blood pressure through the roof. hit a new driver level and pick the 2006 aston DB9R.

go back into the race at leguna seca and same thing - i'm behind this damn car again and cant get ahead. oh wait, i recognize that car! i just won that for my level reward! wait, thats not a R3 car, its R2...

... shit, this is a multiclass race and i'm in first, and have been all along, havent i?

:(

cajunator

Banned
I had the speed wheel in my hands today at Gamestop. My friend who works there said it was a great device. I wanted to see what GAF thought of the thing before just buying it on the off chance that she was spouting the corporate line or whatever. Good to see that it is apparently a good thing to buy.

skyfinch

op_ivy said:
holy shit i'm dumb.

i have been sooo god damn frustrated with a career race i've been struggling with all afternoon. its one of the latter seasons (the last?) and its a R3 race where you HAVE to pick a gt2 car on leguna seca - no sweat i have my risi F430GT! buuuut, no matter how well i drive i'm also second to this bastard other car! if i'm lucky, i can get ahead of the pack after the first big left by racing dirty, but it seems to be only a matter of time that this same bastard passes me in this 5 lap race. so i restart. again and again. ok, let me try my BMW. nope, i do even worse. ok, let me buy another car. woah, the FXX is beastly! 2,500,000 mill? "eh, ok, if it helps me pass this race" i think. load up race and "SORRY, you need a GT2 car, REMEMBER?

damn it!

so i take a break and do some rivals - still pissed - blood pressure through the roof. hit a new driver level and pick the 2006 aston DB9R.

go back into the race at leguna seca and same thing - i'm behind this damn car again and cant get ahead. oh wait, i recognize that car! i just won that for my level reward! wait, thats not a R3 car, its R2...

... shit, this is a multiclass race and i'm in first, and have been all along, havent i?

:(

I could write a book about this. :D

Dear Shortt Sirket and Mil6esSiR of GAF club,

You're good. Really, really good. It took me an hour or two of tuning and chasing you down, but I did it. While working on Sirket's time, Mil6es popped up on the Rookie Rivals leader boards with a .7xx faster time - I was a bit daunted, but I gladly took up the challenge.

After experimenting with both the 3rd gen Miata and the Miata Superlight '10, I went back to my old favorite: the 1st gen Miata. I tuned it for 10 mins, pulled a laptime of 00:50.78, and knew it was time.

As the dust settles and hookers in racing suits service me on my throne atop GAF-club Rookie Rivals challenge, I look at my time of 0:50.422 and wonder:

"When will they pop up and rip me kicking and screaming from the top of the leaderboard?"

After all, Miles is only using a B-323 rated MX5 '10, and that means he still has 27 pts of upgrades left...

BoobPhysics101 said:
Dear Shortt Sirket and Mil6esSiR of GAF club,

You're good. Really, really good. It took me an hour or two of tuning and chasing you down, but I did it. While working on Sirket's time, Mil6es popped up on the Rookie Rivals leader boards with a .7xx faster time - I was a bit daunted, but I gladly took up the challenge.

After experimenting with both the 3rd gen Miata and the Miata Superlight '10, I went back to my old favorite: the 1st gen Miata. I tuned it for 10 mins, pulled a laptime of 00:50.78, and knew it was time.

As the dust settles and hookers in racing suits service me on my throne atop GAF-club Rookie Rivals challenge, I look at my time of 0:50.422 and wonder:

"When will they pop up and rip me kicking and screaming from the top of the leaderboard?"

After all, Miles is only using a B-323 rated MX5 '10, and that means he still has 27 pts of upgrades left...

Trust me man, I am not that good. LOL! I was testing out a new concept when I set those times, so I am hoping I can do better soon. Have a pounding headache tonight, so I am taking a break from racing.

VindictiveGnome said:
The Mazda was a blast! Thanks for the tuning set up.

Diablohead said:
I recovered well after forgetting the track was the tunnel layout and smashing into that cement wall lol

Anyway you can fire the NRL logo over to me? Want to put it on a C425 Miata with a different paint scheme/number than the one you put in the garage. Same body kit, but I couldn't find those wheels.

Spec Miata racing should be a thing the club does (and spec S2000 and spec Solstice).

I did my first drag race today, built a 500 hp GTO. The best I could do is low 12 sec times, I have no idea how to setup a drag car.

I have drag quality tires, took air in back down to 27, no idea what to set ride height/camber/springs etc.

Anyone have any quick and dirty drag setup tips?

CrudeDiatribe said:
Anyway you can fire the NRL logo over to me? Want to put it on a C425 Miata with a different paint scheme/number than the one you put in the garage. Same body kit, but I couldn't find those wheels.

Spec Miata racing should be a thing the club does (and spec S2000 and spec Solstice).

This sounds amazing to me. I love spec racing and would definitely be down for some of that. Especially for some longer, 20+ lap races.

Whoever recommended the Evora T124 with VoodooUomo's tune is genius. This car/setup rocks! Only downside is the speed. Everything catches up so easily on the stretches.

Shortt Sirket said:
This sounds amazing to me. I love spec racing and would definitely be down for some of that. Especially for some longer, 20+ lap races.

How about this spec:
First Gen Miata
Vary body kit
Race wing
Slick tires
Roll cage
Build/tune the rest up to C425

I like the small amount of customization room, though we could lock that down.

nismogrendel said:
Anyone have any quick and dirty drag setup tips?

I'm just fumbling my way through, but I'm doing OK for refusing to get the King Cobra for that Rivals Challenge. I will not own a Mustang II.

No front camber, between 0 and a few degrees of positive rear camber. Check the tire heat by the end of the 1/4 mile with telemetry and adjust.

Stiff everything up front and moderate suspension in the back, you don't want to run out of travel too fast on launch, or you'll pop a wheelie instead of accelerate.

Did I get booted from GAFclub or are the LB servers cooked?

Was hoping to put up a SIARPC time again tonight, see if I can move a few more places up the ladder!

EDIT: I just read that I have been kicked. How and why? Does that mean my car is no longer shared too? Can I make it back in somehow?

Shortt Sirket said:
Trust me man, I am not that good. LOL! I was testing out a new concept when I set those times, so I am hoping I can do better soon. Have a pounding headache tonight, so I am taking a break from racing.

You're good, don't deny it. But now I cut my time down to a 49.549 so you're gonna need to cut 2.3xx seconds off your time.
lol.gif

CrudeDiatribe said:

So down for this. I'll bring this bad-boy out to play:

2011-04-08-16-26-03-192.jpg

Aptos said:
I couldn't recommend one high enough for those of us without hundreds of bucks to spend on a Fanatec setup. The one issue is if you like tuning, you can't tune with the speed wheel as it has no shoulder buttons. I end up switching between my speed wheel and controller. It's annoying to think about, but in practice it's not that bad. I always just switch while the game is loading.

Also: whenever you reconnect the speed wheel the game thinks it's a proper wheel, so you'll need to set it to use controller setup 5 so you can shift with x and b.

I'm not big into tuning so this might be perfect for me. I'm hearing really good reviews across the board.

I liked the idea of something like this being released ever since I played Mario Kart on Wii using that wheel. Worked very well from what I remember.

Klocker said:
how comfortable/uncomfortable to hold out in front of you all night?
I hold and use it exactly like this guy (shush it Bear!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkxKn8PuPCQ

It's not really out in front of me. It's kind of like how I hold a regular controller. It's just that I'm moving it. It's perfectly comfortable for me. I've seen other people mention they get tired after several hours, but that's to be expected.

Klocker

DasRaven said:
Who would bother to hold it out? I rested my elbows on my knees (leaning forward) or thighs (leaning back).

nice. was wondering if it turned enough when doing that.

good vid also thanks...so...reclining in chair is no problem?

Klocker said:
nice. was wondering if it turned enough when doing that.

good vid also thanks...so...reclining in chair is no problem?
Reclining in a chair, lying down, whatever you want. It will work and you shouldn't have a problem getting comfortable.

ecnal

any word on when T10 is going to fix the rampant cheating going on with money?

i'd like to be able to bid on some unicorn cars without having to fork out a billion credits.

cajunator said:
what is a unicorn car?
It's a rare car available in the Auction House or as a prize from competitions that T10 might reward talented painters, photographers etc with.

It seems though that they are just there as bait for money glitchers....

A full list is available in the OP, I think.

DasRaven

ecnal said:

i'd like to be able to bid on some unicorn cars without having to fork out a billion credits.

FYI: You will probably NEVER be able to win a unicorn auction. They've served a much better purpose of tempting glitchers into a spot under the banhammer.
For legit players, it is much easier to game with devs, win a paint/photo contest or hopefully for me, guess DLC cars.

Fox Mulder

ecnal said:

It's been this way since forza 2. Just get the idea of ever being able to buy one out of your head, the auctions are cheater bait.

ecnal

so, let me get this straight:

1) unicorns for auction aren't actually for auction; they're just bait for cheaters
2) unicorns for auction are bait for cheaters, but the problem has existed for 3 titles now
3) the "real" way to get a unicorn car is to do other things (dev w/ game, contests, etc)

am i missing something? because it feels like i'm on a different planet if that's really how unicorns and the AH are intended to work.

ecnal said:
so, let me get this straight:

1) unicorns for auction aren't actually for auction; they're just bait for cheaters
2) unicorns for auction are bait for cheaters, but the problem has existed for 3 titles now
3) the "real" way to get a unicorn car is to do other things (dev w/ game, contests, etc)

am i missing something? because it feels like i'm on a different planet if that's really how unicorns and the AH are intended to work.
Pretty much got it in one, dude.

Hopefully it's different this iteration, but for now we just gotta deal with it.

Please can I get an answer for this, please?

Me from previous page said:
Did I get booted from GAFclub or are the LB servers cooked?

Was hoping to put up a SIARPC time again tonight, see if I can move a few more places up the ladder!

EDIT: I just read that I have been kicked. How and why? Does that mean my car is no longer shared too? Can I make it back in somehow?

nagge

Slayer-33 said:

Anyway 2:02:775 now with the Mosler @ Nurb GP fast pass rivals shit... Top time is 1:55 with the same car... lol ridiculous.

You just keep improving, I'm bounty hunting for now but a few more days and I will be gunning for your time ;)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
nagge said:
You just keep improving, I'm bounty hunting for now but a few more days and I will be gunning for your time ;)

I can do slightly better than that but fuck, 1:59 and under is out of the question with a controller, I'm still learning to tune the Mosler, the damn Veyron is a god damned road tank at 4,300+ pounds even with the high 9xx+ HP the Mosler weighs in at 2300 ish and 560ish or so HP

Izayoi

Banned
I wish it was possible to earn Unicorns in-game somehow, even if it was some ridiculous feat like getting the Bucket List achievement or hitting driver level 150.

It feels like I'll never be able to drive those cars, partly because I'm completely talentless and can't even take good photos, let alone do liveries or win online races.

Feels bad. ;_;

guest1321

I'm just cruising through world tour right now. I'm on my eighth season and it is starting to get very redundant, but at the same time, what racing sim isn't going to give off this feeling. I am little bummed that they don't have the endurance races but at the same time having shorter races in the world tour has kept me from feeling like the game was unnecessarily dragged out.

One thing I have noticed is that the manufacturer affinity levels up super slowly it seems compared to driver level. At about level 6 or 7 it seems like the benefit for increasing affinity is no longer that big. Their is an achievement for reaching level 50 affinity with a manufacturer, but I can't think of what the purpose of that would be.

Either way, loving the game right now. I am little sad that I only have 5 more gift/reward cars until i'm on to cash prizes only for levels.

Top Bottom