• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Mizzou Gaming said:
Aw, I got it thanks a lot. Like I said above I am very experienced with manual transmissions in real life but I can't seem to translate it to a gaming controller.

That's the problem I'm having with the paddle shifters, feels weird having to downshift with a different hand.

Gor@n

Neo Member
Are the cars people getting gifted part of the pre-order incentive, or for being a VIP? Cause i ain't got anything yet

h3ro

Gor@n said:
Are the cars people getting gifted part of the pre-order incentive, or for being a VIP? Cause i ain't got anything yet
Nothing here yet either. I'm sure Jube/T10 will take care of all this gift car stuff.

I need me my VIP cars.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Gor@n said:
I sent my pre order screenshot in weeks ago and got the car (in FM3) yesterday. Just hang in there I guess.

Mr.Green

Wait... The guy complaining about the illuminati taking over his steering wheel is level 3!?

Well hello Mr. Credibilty. Sorry to call you out but how about you start by playing the game and then tell us how it's broken?

I'm level 38, playing with the PWTS, and besides having to use 270 to get rewards I haven't noticed any problems. Doesn't mean there isn't but man you're overly dramatic about this.

skyfinch

Affinity bonus goes up slightly. At level 21 I was getting 75k. Now at level 22 and 23, I've been getting 95k. Cash money!!!

I am over Level 10 right now, thankfully.

I came home from work tonight with every intention of hitting the road in my career and leveling up. An hour and a half later, all I have to show for it are 18 new photos. I find it incredibly easy to get derailed by all the shiny objects in this game.

Sirket, I'll pull my head out of my you-know-what and get my level a little higher by the end of the weekend. I plan to take a more serious run at some of the Rivals times on this board though, to be honest, I don't have a chance in hell in ranking near the top.

Iknos

flyinpiranha said:
Sorry, you're just wrong. I would hate to have somebody come into this thread and read your posts and not think this game is worthy of a setup. That's fucking ridiculous man. I'm sorry about your freezing on your system but seriously, the game is so much better ... plus they'll probably iron out those issues as time goes on.

I'm going to leave it because I feel like I'll just be repeating myself but I wanted to say that I agree with a few things:

-can't imagine myself NOT playing with a wheel as I have one
-using clutch + shifter does feel very good for many reasons
-I will be getting the clubsport shifter but thats mostly because the default one is not that great in a few respects

You didn't say this but the FFB implementation is very good too.

But I do disagree 100% with everything else. I can't compare a wheel to a fightstick for SF because at least SF supports all the buttons on a fightstick. I won't get into any details I'll just leave it there.

nib95 said:
I didn't realise there were that many assists. Also, I thought they were being patched out? Honestly it makes me laugh that T10 go on about realism, accuracy of driving, tyre data from Pirelli, 60fps or bust, brand new full simulation mode and all this other stuff and then go and add forced assists to driving. Just dumbfounded.

I agree it is almost crazy. It may not have some features like day/night and weather but if it had proper 1:1 steering it can easily set itself as a contender for best console racing sim. Isn't that a title T10 wants?

On top of all that they get an exclusive wheel dedicated to the game. A wheel that compares very well to the likes of a G27. With a big Forza logo slapped on it. And then they had different assist modes with one called "simulation".

So all the pieces were in place for proper 1:1 steering...

Check this...when you turn your wheel in real life the driver in the cockpit mimics your movement to perfection. The game reads your 1:1 input already. Its not a hardware issue. Its all about how the software decides to interpret your steering to what happens to the axle.

You could be right about something about the physics being fundamentally broken and so these things are put in to mask it. Especially that un-assist I'm talking about...its as if it was put in to make snap oversteer more common. I am banking on them removing all assists but its all hearsay right now. There has already been a patch for the game and it didn't address it or even the 0Cr bug.

At the same time the physics feel great. I can't see there being a flaw that needs to be masked...its just that any explanation will make sense if you wonder why T10 made that crazy decision.

I spent hours test driving the few cars I had to look at potential physics flaws or issues and I did not see any yet. They did a very good job on weight transfer both pitch and roll. Center of gravity seems just right this time when it was too high in FM2 and too low in FM3. The amount of grip may seem high to people but the tire temps start out pretty high I think. It all looks good to me and I looked for issues.

Thats it I'm getting another Xbox lol. All this talk has me itching to go back.

I'll need some advice about transferring my data then since some people here had issues. I have an original 360 and will be getting a Slim. Do I just go with the transfer cable? Will that make it all painless and simple?

SarBear

Shaneus said:
It's probably to go toward a chat pad.

I read the details: it's a digital coupon. Says I can apply it to anything online with the exception of gift cards and service plans. We'll see how it applies in just a moment...

Yoritomo

Another wheel bug. When using the h-shifter there's a lag right at the start of a race. I didn't realize that if you plugged in the sequential shifter (even on manual with clutch.) you don't even have to use the clutch to launch. However if you use the h-shifter and try to do a clutchless launch (again manual with clutch in settings) there is about a half second lag before anything happens. If you use the clutch to launch there's still a slight lag even if you time it perfectly.

WTF?!

Gor@n

Neo Member
user_nat said:
I sent my pre order screenshot in weeks ago and got the car (in FM3) yesterday. Just hang in there I guess.

Oops forgot to mentioned i've recieved the RX7 in FM3, but people are saying they're getting another

I am looking for some high quality Forza 4 dual screen wallpapers. There was a thread on this in official Forza 3 forums. Anyone know where I could locate some good dual screen wallpapers from Forza 4? With the bigshot mode, I expect they could be sensational, if done right. Thanks.

Some of my shots in the PHOTO MODE !

My favorite car:-

291735_10150879592055290_547980289_21449107_1944068009_n.jpg

For Week 2 (Alps)

305139_10150879522485290_547980289_21448641_2041125326_n.jpg

308180_10150879523180290_547980289_21448650_681165301_n.jpg

302020_10150879522940290_547980289_21448647_1894013066_n.jpg

Made Driver !

315612_10150879353900290_547980289_21447877_954185613_n.jpg

And finally, the old style !

297004_10150879847770290_547980289_21450954_689618455_n.jpg

312562_10150879848090290_547980289_21450957_766963993_n.jpg

my f4 album
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150859889690290.748681.547980289&type=3

amar212

Yoritomo said:
Unfortunately the 900 degree steering fix just emulates 270 degree mode, which means it has speed sensitive steering :/

If they don't fix it before the next patch or another month I'll make another video and make it really long going into detail about all the different caveats and assists/ratio changes that happen within the game.

I played for hours yesterday and I can't stress enough how Yoritomo confirms everything I personally think about the wheel-implementation in Forza 4.

It really needs to be solved ASAP or I will just stop playing. There is plethora of assists on force, not just linearity one. I spend my whole evening yesterday fighting people on Rivals with high-powered cars, all of them being RWD or MR. Level of assists for steering, loss of traction and artificial maintaining a high-grip despite evident loss of grip is just crazy.

All those assists are simply ruining the driving sensation. If using 900 degrees, driver is forced to combat the assists for every turn, in order to fight the "grip-snap-grip-snap" behaviour of wheel and force feedback effect.

Also, that drifiting video somebody posted earlier is probably the best showcase of everything that is wrong with current state of assists.

I really hope it will be solved soon.

Seanspeed said:
The steering isn't 'broken'. Its getting tiring hearing people exaggerate the problem to no end. Its an assist that pops in every once in a while and it wont stop you from being able to drive well or be competitive or anything. Its obviously noticeable and it was wrong for Turn 10 to have misled people into thinking they were getting a completely assist-free experience with the steering, but its hardly a game-breaker like some of you are making it sound.

Fact is, if you're serious about Forza 4 and have the money and space, a nice wheel and pedal setup will give you a much more immersive experience, regardless of this steering assist.

It is broken. It is big problem. It does not pops "every once in a while", jump into the Top Gear Rivals on Mugello with the F40 and you will not fight the RWD torque of F40, you will fight the assists all the time. It is wrong and it is a game-breaker for many players, trust me.

And I have both money, space and a damn nice wheel, but with current state of affair, the experience really can't be less immersive than it is.

Iknos said:
So many other Fanatec owners are not happy with this. People who have invested a lot of money are not happy and that is something you can't deny either.

And in the same way planets sometimes line-up into unexpected formation, today is the day I agree with Iknos. I agree with everything he said before because I personally and subjectively feel the same way.

On the other hand, I have successfully solved my problem with Kinect-tracking with crazy overhead position of the Kinect and now it pretty much works fine as long as I do not move from the desired position more than an inch. BUt something is better with nothing.

BTW Did you know how left/right views for the sides of your car are disabled with Headtracking enabled? You didn't know that? Well, now you do. Whose crazy idea was that, please?

This game is so much love/hate relationship at this point. So much potential, so much wrong decisions. I can understand that many of you really love it and enjoy it, but there has to ba a enough constructive criticism that will solve the issues some of us are experiencing and which are really problematic.

I really hope how solution for our problems will come sooner than later.

supersaw

Seanspeed said:
For anybody but the heavy nitpicker, only one of those assists will be noticeable to most people. And like you say, even if you do notice the others, they aren't a big deal. To say the steering is 'broken' makes it sound like people with a wheel cant do good or something. Its misleading for anybody reading and trying to decide whether to get a wheel or not. Thats where my problem with comments like yours lies.

I mean, I dont hear anybody complaining that you dont need to modulate the clutch and throttle at the start-line, either, like you would in real-life. Its NOT a hardcore simulator. Get that in your head and you can enjoy the experience more. Like I said, a nice wheel and pedal setup will still be more immersive than a controller. Its certainly not a waste of money for many people.

For anyone that's played a SimBin title, rFactor or iRacing the steering shortcomings are immediately noticable. I am deeply saddened by the fact that T10 paraded the term SIMULATION around and didn't really deliver the wheel support that people expect of sims (900 degrees of rotation being the obvious one). I don't know how many of these shortcomings are technical limitations of the idiotic XID tech forced by Microsoft (the reason why you cannot use HID wheels like the G25/27).

That said the game has many redeeming qualities and a wheel does definitely help the immersion. I just hope that the wheel issues are acknowledged by T10 and patched as best as they can be.

Mascot

Seanspeed said:
The steering isn't 'broken'. Its getting tiring hearing people exaggerate the problem to no end. Its an assist that pops in every once in a while and it wont stop you from being able to drive well or be competitive or anything. Its obviously noticeable and it was wrong for Turn 10 to have misled people into thinking they were getting a completely assist-free experience with the steering, but its hardly a game-breaker like some of you are making it sound.

Fact is, if you're serious about Forza 4 and have the money and space, a nice wheel and pedal setup will give you a much more immersive experience, regardless of this steering assist.

100% agree. Using a FFB wheel is a physical, visceral experience that cannot be matched with a joypad. My heart is pumping and adrenaline is flowing after a close battle using the wheel, something that just isn't possible using thumb sticks.

p3tran

Banned
Mr.Green said:
Wait... The guy complaining about the illuminati taking over his steering wheel is level 3!?

Well hello Mr. Credibilty. Sorry to call you out but how about you start by playing the game and then tell us how it's broken?

I'm level 38, playing with the PWTS, and besides having to use 270 to get rewards I haven't noticed any problems. Doesn't mean there isn't but man you're overly dramatic about this.

iknos was not the guy who said that broken forza steering will make him forget how to drive etc? lol

come on man, chill out a bit. and play a bit also.

p.s. amar, I dont believe you 're looking for excuses , are you?
worst case scenario, leave your wheel for now and come beat my times with the joypad lol

the 900deg. thing has been brought to t10 attention. we'll see what will be done.
I wouldnt sell the game though lol

amar212

p3tran said:
p.s. amar, I dont believe you 're looking for excuses , are you?
worst case scenario, leave your wheel and come beat my times with the joypad lol

Haha, could be, LOL :D

I was chasing your Infenion NASCAR time yesterday - I think it was that, or was it F40 on Mugello? - and I was soooo damn close :)

I really adore Rivals mode, so simple yet so great mode for pick-up-and-play.

It will be interesting this Saturday, weather prediction for Croatia is heavy rains and what better to do in rainy Saturday than chasing Rivals? :)

I do not intend to sell my game, no way, what I could do is bite the bullet and go back to 270 degrees. But I really, really, really hate the idea to come back to MSFFW times..

Hyoushi

guest1321 said:
So is it because my suspension was shot or is the nurburg GP actually that bumpy?

Fake Edit: Just got level 50!
In F3, Nur GP was a download track. Seems like some places were just polygon bumps because of modelling, like the braking zone for Turn 7, that part is not at all that bumpy on the real track.

p3tran

Banned
supersaw said:
p3tran are you playing with joy or wheel?
still on the joypad, my play room not done yet, so no driving rig for now, other that a couple of sessions where I had to dismantle and put back everything at the end of playtime lol
also I got the air wheel, but really havent found the time to sit with it. seems like I always want to tune something, or paint something and the constant switching of inputs gets me tired.

so everyone beating on my laptimes, beware!!!1!! haha

p.s. come on hyoushi... polygon bumps of modelling?? LOL
we didnt have lumps of that kind even on forza 1

Shaneus

Mascot said:
100% agree. Using a FFB wheel is a physical, visceral experience that cannot be matched with a joypad. My heart is pumping and adrenaline is flowing after a close battle using the wheel, something that just isn't possible using thumb sticks.
Possible for me, but I'm incredibly unfit and get the same symptoms when I stand up to get more food from the fridge.

saladine1

The first time my heart would start pumping and hands start sweating while using a wheel was when I played SHIFT. The AI was insane I tells ya!

But I agree with everyone here that there isn't a better way to play a racing game than with a wheel. Even if there are shortcomings in the game, it still is something that needs to be experienced.

Gek54

amar212 said:
Also, that drifiting video somebody posted earlier is probably the best showcase of everything that is wrong with current state of assists.

It would seem Turn10's biggest problem is that the lead designer loves to use these unrealistic assists for that very reason.

"I still switch back to the “Normal Steering” setting when I move into some of the more nutter cars (i.e. 599 GTO with no TCS, STM or ABS) or when I’m just looking to drift." - Dan G.

I have yet to find a car in Forza 4 that didnt give me the feeling of being completely babied around the track with Simulation Steering.

p3tran

Banned
Gek54 said:
I have yet to find a car in Forza 4 that didnt give me the feeling of being completely babied around the track with Simulation Steering.
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow." - Mario Andretti

;p

Gek54 said:
I find that sim steering makes a noticeable difference. I lose the car in a variety of new ways now.

I have no idea if I can add anyone or how, but PM me your GT's so I don't forget and I'll take a look soon at it, not on forza 4 right this moment.

PS my wireless headset has arrived :D woop now I can talk online again.

p3tran said:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow." - Mario Andretti

;p

Ha, so true. These guys just must be professionally paid race car drivers and sim experts. I find myself with all assists off (damage = cosmetic because I'll admit the AI is laughable) I find myself sliding out of <rewind> more often <rewind> than not <rewind>

One day I will be a professional like the people who complain about all the assists yet still are low or non existent on the top leaderboards.

flyinpiranha said:
Ha, so true. These guys just must be professionally paid race car drivers and sim experts. I find myself with all assists off (damage = cosmetic because I'll admit the AI is laughable) I find myself sliding out of <rewind> more often <rewind> than not <rewind>

One day I will be a professional like the people who complain about all the assists yet still are low or non existent on the top leaderboards.
I can't speak for all the nit pickers but Yoritomo's top gear RPC lap showed me I needed to ween myself off ABS. And the issues they bring up are relevant because they said there wouldn't be any issues with assist with SIM steering. I agree that maybe it gets talked about a little to much but it is something that should be addressed.

Iknos however has kind of fallen off his rocker and is being extremely overdramatic.

The_Monk

I'm on my 3rd day trying to upload a movie to forzamotorspot.net and no sucess so far.

The message is still the same. It says that I had uploaded a movie (which I didn't) or big shot to forzamotorsport.net and it asks if I want to overwrite it.

No matter how many times I press "YES" loading screen appears for seconds then the same message appears and I repeat the process until I give up and go back...

Has anyone ever had problems like this? Did you upload some movies to the site?

I searched on the net and only found one or another person with the same problem.

soundscream said:
I can't speak for all the nit pickers but Yoritomo's top gear RPC lap showed me I needed to ween myself off ABS. And the issues they bring up are relevant because they said there wouldn't be any issues with assist with SIM steering. I agree that maybe it gets talked about a little to much but it is something that should be addressed.

Iknos however has kind of fallen off his rocker and is being extremely overdramatic.
Oh yeah, I definitely know there are issues, especially being a fanatec owner. I just know it doesn't take away from my enjoyment and to blatantly say Forza isn't worth a wheel setup makes me laugh.

D6AMIA6N

Regarding ABS, I had been playing without assists since Forza 1. However, needing to restart an entire race because the AI rear ended you off track became too much of a hassle. Rewind, and an auto transmission are the only assists I use now.

I think you should play how you want to play, who cares if you have all the assits on? I'm pretty sure actual race cars use TCS and ABS? Could be wrong, but whatever. Game is awesome.

harrytang

favorite activity currently is track day races in rival mode. made about 300K beating two club mates, although it did take an hour of racing.

challenging because your pushing as hard as possible to stay on track, while at the same time negotiating the traffic that never does the exact same thing two laps in a row. the clean laps are very hard to come by and its extremely frustrating to be bumped on the last turn. highly rewarding when you beat your rival. really taking up all my time right now.

i noticed that my tires took at least 3 laps to completely warm up.

hwalker84

My problem may help but i don't know. I couldn't upload anything to the forza website but had taken several pictures and went through the process ingame. When I went to myprofile and tried to view the data it said the data was corrupt.

I exited the game went to the hard drive and deleted the corrupt data (not my save) and now everything works.

Mascot

Speaking of steering wheels, I finally got around to selling my G27, pedals and shifter, so set it up to test it on GT5 before the dude collects it this evening. After using my GT2 exclusively for the past few months I couldn't get over how smooth the G27 felt, and how strong the force feedback is compared to playing Forza on the Fanatec. The pedals, although not as good as the CSPs, are also bloody good too. And all buyable as a complete package for around £160 new, too.

Dammit, even as a Fanatec owner it makes me sad that the G27 isn't usable with the 360.

supersaw

Mascot said:
Speaking of steering wheels, I finally got around to selling my G27, pedals and shifter, so set it up to test it on GT5 before the dude collects it this evening. After using my GT2 exclusively for the past few months I couldn't get over how smooth the G27 felt, and how strong the force feedback is compared to playing Forza on the Fanatec. The pedals, although not as good as the CSPs, are also bloody good too. And all buyable as a complete package for around £160 new, too.

Dammit, even as a Fanatec owner it makes me sad that the G27 isn't usable with the 360.

Have you used your GT2 in iRacing on a PC? It feels like a different wheel. This is largely the point that people that have been complaining about subpar wheel support are getting at. The force feedback is way stronger and sharp on the PC using a GT2. The difference is night and day. From the stuff I read it could actually be a limitation of the XID way of doing force feedback.

I don't know what the GT2 feels like on Playstation but I can attest to massive differences between PC and Xbox performance on the GT2. I have friends with G25's and 7's so I have tested against those too, on the PC you can set the GT2 force feedback levels to the point where it starts to get painful to use way above what's achievable on the xbox.

Mascot said:

I don't think it's necessarily the GT2 to be honest. I think it's the Xbox and the FFB style they use (HID I think? edit: XID).

It is sad. The FFB in GT5 is amazing with the GT2, never played it with the G27 though so can't compare.

Top Bottom