• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

I feel so out of the loop, fucking work getting in the way of free time :(

This weekend should be GAF racing weekend, I'll actually be able to talk this time.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Improved my time again! LOL woot.

#48 in the world in Nurb GP... Gotta figure out how to pull an under 1:59 man... Eventually the other great players will get that and bump the shit out of us 2:01.XX's

My new McLaren F1 setup is fucking amazing.

Holy shit, racing manual is hard. It should be 100% more credits and XP, LOL!

Going to take a lot of practice, I think I'm going to play through WT some more and get familiarized with the tracks more, then I'll switch once I know each turn better and probably just do a bunch of time trials to do it.

Plus I'm using paddle shifters and it just feels really odd. The clutch action was all butter but racing auto for so long I was depressing the clutch and switching gears and ... well, kind of forgetting to brake!

I tried for about 10 laps trying to beat skillet and auto got me close but manual got me closer, downshifting and coming out of corners I was always too high or too low, never the sweet spot though.

flyinpiranha said:
Holy shit, racing manual is hard. It should be 100% more credits and XP, LOL!

Going to take a lot of practice, I think I'm going to play through WT some more and get familiarized with the tracks more, then I'll switch once I know each turn better and probably just do a bunch of time trials to do it.

Plus I'm using paddle shifters and it just feels really odd. The clutch action was all butter but racing auto for so long I was depressing the clutch and switching gears and ... well, kind of forgetting to brake!

I tried for about 10 laps trying to beat skillet and auto got me close but downshifting and coming out of corners I was always too high or too low, never the sweet spot.
You will get use to it so quickly once it "clicks" with you, I started using manual gears in moto gp 1 on the xbox live beta days and since then always use it (apart from formula 1, those games work a treat with auto boxes)

p3tran

Banned
Spaceman Spiff said:
Ain't no damn RUF gonna help with the Carrera GT.

I pour one out over it each and every night, without fail.

I dunno man, it seems I find compasion in exotic places...

getphoto0vg9.jpg

8)

Diablohead said:
You will get use to it so quickly once it "clicks" with you, I started using manual gears in moto gp 1 on the xbox live beta days and since then always use it (apart from formula 1, those games work a treat with auto boxes)

That's encouraging. Maybe I'll just use it through the rest of my WT so I am forced to get used to it.

Shaneus

Diablohead said:
Feature that needs to come back into games the most? The dengdeng cheat from MotoGP 1.

NullPointer said:
With an "EA: its not in the game" vinyl across the hood.
I'm guessing there's thousands of "Fuck EA" liveries on the storefront.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Ain't no damn RUF gonna help with the Carrera GT.

I pour one out over it each and every night, without fail.
Agreed. Just figured that if it was the look one was going for, a livery could come close. Damn sure no replacement, though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Iknos said:
My advice to people is to not buy an expensive wheel for the game. I'm not trolling or being too critical. Just offering advice so people can save their hard earned money.

The game is a near masterpiece. There are tiny issues here and there but are nothing I can call flaws apart from broken steering. So it's a must buy if you like controller racing. It's that lack of steering support that is totally broken and so I advise not to get one unless you were going to also use it for PC and PS3.
The steering isn't 'broken'. Its getting tiring hearing people exaggerate the problem to no end. Its an assist that pops in every once in a while and it wont stop you from being able to drive well or be competitive or anything. Its obviously noticeable and it was wrong for Turn 10 to have misled people into thinking they were getting a completely assist-free experience with the steering, but its hardly a game-breaker like some of you are making it sound.

Fact is, if you're serious about Forza 4 and have the money and space, a nice wheel and pedal setup will give you a much more immersive experience, regardless of this steering assist.

Seanspeed

Banned
Liquidsnake said:
Wow the Hockenheim track can go f itself. At any class it sucks.
Do you dislike it because you're not good at it or because of some inherent characteristic of the track?

Just curious, cuz I like the track quite a bit and most race drivers enjoy it as well. I think if you practiced a bit more and learned a few tricks, you guys would like it a bit more.

For instance - the first corner can be cut more than you might think. I'm not saying to go straight over the entire curbing area, but dont try and just 'clip' the apex here. You want to pretty much roll over the apex with everything but the left-side wheels. You can carry more speed through it than you probably expect.

Then focus on getting the best possible exit onto the long back straight. Its difficult because a tight, but slower corner speed in the right hander can result in getting safely through the left-hand kink, but carrying more corner speed results in making that kink without lifting much harder. Its a fine balance that feels good to get right.

The next half of the lap is nice and flowing. After the tight hairpin turn at the end of the back straight, the next corner is either flat-out, or near flat-out depending on the car you're in. A very fun corner by most any standard. The rest is a mix of slow and medium speed corners that demands smoothness and good lines. Getting it right is quite satisfying.

Watch this for an example of what a great lap of Hockenheim looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzYcYo2txuo

Does the speed wheel work with the pc wireless pad dongle? I'd love to use it on F1 and the dirt games if so.

Liquidsnake said:
Wow the Hockenheim track can go f itself. At any class it sucks.
woah woah woah, easy now.

I love that track :(

Diablohead said:
Does the speed wheel work with the pc wireless pad dongle? I'd love to use it on F1 and the dirt games if so.
When I was watching/reading reviews it was mentioned that you can use it on PC. It even comes with a CD to install the driver.

Bernbaum

I've had three social invites for the coming weekend where I've said 'I'll think about it - I have some other stuff on' when what I really mean is that I want to play Forza 4 all day and night and buy all the Fords and Audis and Aston Martins and maybe a little 4 cylinder for some of the Japanese events and I should really look at the online features a little bit more oh god it's 2am I think I'll call in sick tomorrow.

Fuck you Turn 10.

Iknos

Seanspeed said:
The steering isn't 'broken'. Its getting tiring hearing people exaggerate the problem to no end. Its an assist that pops in every once in a while and it wont stop you from being able to drive well or be competitive or anything. Its obviously noticeable and it was wrong for Turn 10 to have misled people into thinking they were getting a completely assist-free experience with the steering, but its hardly a game-breaker like some of you are making it sound.

Fact is, if you're serious about Forza 4 and have the money and space, a nice wheel and pedal setup will give you a much more immersive experience, regardless of this steering assist.

No there is a lot more to it.

Maybe that is why you don't think its broken when it is?

There is an assist that oscillates your tires to help maintain control of your car.

There is another assist that neuters your steering inputs when you are driving over 100km/h.

There is an un-assist where the car snaps to an extreme degree. Its there as some fakery to make it seem like you are losing control of your car when you are not.

That is exactly where it is broken...T10 for one reason or another put that in there to make the game seem realistic because it causes snap oversteer. But it wasn't you that caused it...it was the game because it starts screwing up with your inputs.

I could live with the toned down assist where it oscillates your wheels. In sim it happens much less than in standard steering. I can also live with the neutured steering to some degree. It still makes high speed corners a pain to navigate.

What I can't live is with the un-assist that makes driving look harder than it is. That is a joke and that is what is broken.

A nice wheel does make the game better. I love it when it doesn't start screwing with your steering inputs. Which is 100% of the time when I go Sunday driving in the game. When I start racing those assists and un-assists kick in all the time.

Despite that one would have to be very odd to spend over $200 for a wheel for this game because it inherently will not support it. That is what I'm saying. Hey if you want a multiconsole wheel to play other games and FM4 is going to be a game you'll also play then ok go ahead. I'm responding to a comment that said this game deserves a good rig. No it doesn't. It's an amazing game but wheel users are being fucked by T10.

The fact that there is a bug related to people using 900 degree wheels tells us that they didn't make this game with wheels in mind.

Really like Hockenheim. Still I can understand why some wouldn't like it. I never play with the racing line and maybe that is what is throwing people off but if you do some laps and come up with your own line for your own car its a track where you can get a flowing run through without heavy braking at the lower classes.

Never tried it yet with higher classed cars. Track seems nice and wide in the right areas to allow for all sorts of passing.

Gek54

Yoritomo said:
Unfortunately the 900 degree steering fix just emulates 270 degree mode, which means it has speed sensitive steering :/

If they don't fix it before the next patch or another month I'll make another video and make it really long going into detail about all the different caveats and assists/ratio changes that happen within the game.

They also need to tighten up the force feedback center deadzone. There is no feel or resistance for about an inch of play, feels sloppy.

The deadzone setting only fixes the input deadzone.

Iknos said:
Agree with everything except that last part. This game does not deserve a rig or a 900 degree wheel. There is no point.

Cant play much with the game freezing on me but the game is awesome until the game takes over your steering inputs. On 900 degree wheels it happens when you push the car to it's limits.

My advice to people is to not buy an expensive wheel for the game. I'm not trolling or being too critical. Just offering advice so people can save their hard earned money.

The game is a near masterpiece. There are tiny issues here and there but are nothing I can call flaws apart from broken steering. So it's a must buy if you like controller racing. It's that lack of steering support that is totally broken and so I advise not to get one unless you were going to also use it for PC and PS3.

I guess I'm fucked. I bought a great rig for games like this and plan to pretty much focus only on Forza 4. Woe is me.

Seanspeed

Banned
Iknos said:

There is an assist that oscillates your tires to help maintain control of your car.

There is another assist that neuters your steering inputs when you are driving over 100km/h.

There is an un-assist where the car snaps to an extreme degree. Its there as some fakery to make it seem like you are losing control of your car when you are not.

That is exactly where it is broken...T10 for one reason or another put that in there to make the game seem realistic because it causes snap oversteer. But it wasn't you that caused it...it was the game because it starts screwing up with your inputs.

I could live with the toned down assist where it oscillates your wheels. In sim it happens much less than in standard steering. I can also live with the neutured steering to some degree. It still makes high speed corners a pain to navigate.

What I can't live is with the un-assist that makes driving look harder than it is. That is a joke and that is what is broken.

A nice wheel does make the game better. I love it when it doesn't start screwing with your steering inputs. Which is 100% of the time when I go Sunday driving in the game. When I start racing those assists and un-assists kick in all the time.

Despite that one would have to be very odd to spend over $200 for a wheel for this game because it inherently will not support it. That is what I'm saying. Hey if you want a multiconsole wheel to play other games and FM4 is going to be a game you'll also play then ok go ahead. I'm responding to a comment that said this game deserves a good rig. No it doesn't. It's an amazing game but wheel users are being fucked by T10.

The fact that there is a bug related to people using 900 degree wheels tells us that they didn't make this game with wheels in mind.

Really like Hockenheim. Still I can understand why some wouldn't like it. I never play with the racing line and maybe that is what is throwing people off but if you do some laps and come up with your own line for your own car its a track where you can get a flowing run through without heavy braking at the lower classes.

Never tried it yet with higher classed cars. Track seems nice and wide in the right areas to allow for all sorts of passing.
For anybody but the heavy nitpicker, only one of those assists will be noticeable to most people. And like you say, even if you do notice the others, they aren't a big deal. To say the steering is 'broken' makes it sound like people with a wheel cant do good or something. Its misleading for anybody reading and trying to decide whether to get a wheel or not. Thats where my problem with comments like yours lies.

I mean, I dont hear anybody complaining that you dont need to modulate the clutch and throttle at the start-line, either, like you would in real-life. Its NOT a hardcore simulator. Get that in your head and you can enjoy the experience more. Like I said, a nice wheel and pedal setup will still be more immersive than a controller. Its certainly not a waste of money for many people.

Iknos

Seanspeed said:
For anybody but the heavy nitpicker, only one of those assists will be noticeable to most people. And like you say, even if you do notice the others, they aren't a big deal. To say the steering is 'broken' makes it sound like people with a wheel cant do good or something. Its misleading for anybody reading and trying to decide whether to get a wheel or not. Thats where my problem with comments like yours lies.

If it is misleading then by all means correct me if I'm wrong. It's just that I'm not wrong about this all of the stuff I've said is something that others have proven with video.

What you are saying is that most people won't notice it which is pretty insulting I think. So many other Fanatec owners are not happy with this. People who have invested a lot of money are not happy and that is something you can't deny either.

So for those of us who have spent a lot of money I think it is fair for us to warn others.

I mean, I dont hear anybody complaining that you dont need to modulate the clutch and throttle at the start-line, either, like you would in real-life. Its NOT a hardcore simulator. Get that in your head and you can enjoy the experience more. Like I said, a nice wheel and pedal setup will still be more immersive than a controller. Its certainly not a waste of money for many people.

Few complain about that because its only a part of the racing experience. Steering on the other hand is 100% part of the experience.

flyinpiranha said:
I guess I'm fucked. I bought a great rig for games like this and plan to pretty much focus only on Forza 4. Woe is me.

If you have money to burn go for it. It's like buying a B&W 7.1 surround sound system for a Sega Mega Drive. The games will definitely sound better but it doesn't inherently support 7.1. Getting a decent 2.1 speaker system makes much more sense. It's like that with the wheel and 4za.

That's my advice anyways people can do what they want with their money. I think I'm being clear here and don't need to say anything else on the matter. Just saying if you were a person who loved this game and were thinking of getting an expensive rig for this game it isn't worth it. MS Wheel yes that is a good choice for this game. 900 degree wheels are not.

I am thinking I am going to kick anyone under Level 10 on Sunday. To be under Level 10, you had to have played the game less than a couple of hours and I think its not too much to ask of people to play a bit more than that in 10 days that the game has come out. If you guys don't agree, let me know as I am open to suggestions.

I just want the club to be full of people actively playing and participating.

I mean, come ON Iknos! You are Level 3, which means you have played like 2 races. You can do better than that!

sneaky77

Shortt Sirket said:
I am thinking I am going to kick anyone under Level 10 on Sunday. To be under Level 10, you had to have played the game less than a couple of hours and I think its not too much to ask of people to play a bit more than that in 10 days that the game has come out. If you guys don't agree, let me know as I am open to suggestions.

I mean, come ON Iknos! You are Level 3, which means you have played like 2 races. You can do better than that!

i think is good. I added someone last night btw

eek5

I wish they expanded some of the stats for leader boards especially with their other game modes. For example the track day races in SP; it would be cool to see what's the most cars someone passed in a lap or something.

LostVector

Neo Member
Seanspeed said:

Listen to Dan go on and on about how they used tire data from Pirelli to improve the steering model. Sorry, but they're pitching it as a sim. And it makes absolutely no sense to spend all this time refining the simulation model and then screw with the user's steering inputs.

Iknos

Shortt Sirket said:

The game freezes during my races. It took me hours to get those races done. And to check out liveries and all that stuff.

When my 360 finally dies there'll be no leveling up at all. :(

But if you have to get rid of me for now that's ok once I get this 360 replaced I'll be on. I just hope I still have extended warranty on it. So if I could be added back in once I get things sorted that would be great. Until then I'll be trying to play and progressing slowly.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Iknos said:
The game freezes during my races. It took me hours to get those races done. And to check out liveries and all that stuff.

Damn that sucks Jebus.. Don't want you to miss out on the game :|

Iknos said:

But if you have to get rid of me for now that's ok once I get this 360 replaced I'll be on. I just hope I still have extended warranty on it. So if I could be added back in once I get things sorted that would be great. Until then I'll be trying to play and progressing slowly.

I think your extenuating circumstances give you a free pass for now man. That has to suck and no reason to add to that frustration. Plus you are active here enough that I see no reason to not keep you safe for now.

Thanks for the GAF member who told me how to use manual + clutch. Swapping the clutch to A and pressing both buttons at the same time is AMAZING.

Literally shaved upwards of 2 seconds off my times, including 3 seconds off the Star in A Reasonably Priced Car Challenge.

Collected a few hundred thousand in bounties tonight. =P

Iknos said:
If it is misleading then by all means correct me if I'm wrong. It's just that I'm not wrong about this all of the stuff I've said is something that others have proven with video.

What you are saying is that most people won't notice it which is pretty insulting I think. So many other Fanatec owners are not happy with this. People who have invested a lot of money are not happy and that is something you can't deny either.

So for those of us who have spent a lot of money I think it is fair for us to warn others.

Few complain about that because its only a part of the racing experience. Steering on the other hand is 100% part of the experience.

If you have money to burn go for it. It's like buying a B&W 7.1 surround sound system for a Sega Mega Drive. The games will definitely sound better but it doesn't inherently support 7.1. Getting a decent 2.1 speaker system makes much more sense. It's like that with the wheel and 4za.

That's my advice anyways people can do what they want with their money. I think I'm being clear here and don't need to say anything else on the matter. Just saying if you were a person who loved this game and were thinking of getting an expensive rig for this game it isn't worth it. MS Wheel yes that is a good choice for this game. 900 degree wheels are not.

I have spent a lot of money, I don't have money to burn ... and it's made the experience 100x more enjoyable. The last racer I really played before Forza 3 was GT3. I then got hooked into Forza 3 but was really waiting for GT5, that's when I got a wheel, but then I ended up going back to Forza 3 (leave it for the vs thread lol) and upgraded to a GT2, CSP, and a Rennsport WSP for Forza 4.

I would absolutely 100% recommend this to anybody wanting to enjoy the game more. In fact I couldn't imagine playing without it.

It's absolutely NOTHING like a 7.1 system for a Mega Drive ... absolutely nothing. That's just stupid to say. I promise, anybody who gets a wheel for this game will absolutely fall in love with the setup.

It's not being insulting at all. I honestly don't get your attitude with this. NONE of the console racers would deserve a wheel and only the hardcore PC sims would if we went by that attitude.

It's not like buying a 7.1 system for a Mega Drive, it's more like buying a fighting stick for SFIV.

In fact I just stepped up my "non-sim" game with my setup and am using manual+clutch ... it was the most visceral experience coming around a turn and then having a high banking right where I could just shift up in the R8 ... yeah, a wheel doesn't make that better.

Sorry, you're just wrong. I would hate to have somebody come into this thread and read your posts and not think this game is worthy of a setup. That's fucking ridiculous man. I'm sorry about your freezing on your system but seriously, the game is so much better ... plus they'll probably iron out those issues as time goes on.

U n i o n 0015 said:
Thanks for the GAF member who told me how to use manual + clutch. Swapping the clutch to A and pressing both buttons at the same time is AMAZING.

Literally shaved upwards of 2 seconds off my times, including 3 seconds off the Star in A Reasonably Priced Car Challenge.

Collected a few hundred thousand in bounties tonight. =P

Wait, how does this work exactly? I've driven nothing but manual transmission cars since I turned 16, but I can't for the life of me drive with the clutch and manual scheme in FORZA 4.

sneaky77

flyinpiranha said:
I have spent a lot of money, I don't have money to burn ... and it's made the experience 100x more enjoyable. The last racer I really played before Forza 3 was GT3. I then got hooked into Forza 3 but was really waiting for GT5, that's when I got a wheel, but then I ended up going back to Forza 3 (leave it for the vs thread lol) and upgraded to a GT2, CSP, and a Rennsport WSP for Forza 4.

I would absolutely 100% recommend this to anybody wanting to enjoy the game more. In fact I couldn't imagine playing without it.

It's absolutely NOTHING like a 7.1 system for a Mega Drive ... absolutely nothing. That's just stupid to say. I promise, anybody who gets a wheel for this game will absolutely fall in love with the setup.

It's not being insulting at all. I honestly don't get your attitude with this. NONE of the console racers would deserve a wheel and only the hardcore PC sims would if we went by that attitude.

It's not like buying a 7.1 system for a Mega Drive, it's more like buying a fighting stick for SFIV.

In fact I just stepped up my "non-sim" game with my setup and am using manual+clutch ... it was the most visceral experience coming around a turn and then having a high banking right where I could just shift up in the R8 ... yeah, a wheel doesn't make that better.

Sorry, you're just wrong. I would hate to have somebody come into this thread and read your posts and not think this game is worthy of a setup. That's fucking ridiculous man. I'm sorry about your freezing on your system but it seems your head is freezing up too!

How's using the clutch? I am scared to try it lol.. I never driven manual in my life so I am happy with paddles for now.

sneaky77 said:
How's using the clutch? I am scared to try it lol.. I never driven manual in my life so I am happy with paddles for now.

Yeah, I think the paddles are what throws me off using clutch. Muscle reflex tells me my right hand should be doing the up and down shifting. Plus, playing at 900 deg. I sometimes will come out of a turn and kind of forget I need to shift so my hands aren't placed in the right direction lol.

I just started tonight and went through lvl 17-25 of the WT with Manual+clutch. I'll definitely be burning my money on a game that doesn't deserve it when the Clubsport Shifter comes out.

But man, somebody up above told me just to go for it and it will become second nature and it does. I love the punch of the car and it really livens up the races. Can't believe I didn't race like this before.

I definitely still suck though haha!

nib95

Banned
Iknos said:

I didn't realise there were that many assists. Also, I thought they were being patched out? Honestly it makes me laugh that T10 go on about realism, accuracy of driving, tyre data from Pirelli, 60fps or bust, brand new full simulation mode and all this other stuff and then go and add forced assists to driving. Just dumbfounded.

Since steering assist is such an easy thing to take out, it makes me think that the driving model and physics implemented could genuinely be fundamentally broken and that turning these assists off causes issues beyond what they've developed for or to an unrealistic level. Otherwise they would quite simply, remove them. I'm hoping it is just a bug though and that they will eventually just remove the assists and all will be fine. But they never did that with F3 so it worries me about F4.

Mizzou Gaming said:
Wait, how does this work exactly? I've driven nothing but manual transmission cars since I turned 16, but I can't for the life of me drive with the clutch and manual scheme in FORZA 4.

It shifts basically the same as real life, so clutch in, change gear. Though in real life, you tend to press the clutch slightly before shifting the lever.

In the game, just press clutch + shift button at the same time. Like someone said, you save a few hundreds of a second as the game doesn't hold the clutch open as long as pure manual mode.

So, for example, I have the clutch button mapped to A. If I want to shift up, I press A + B at the same time. Downshift, I press A + X. It's basically what I normally do with manual mode except I am pressing two buttons now instead of one to shift.

U n i o n 0015 said:
It shifts basically the same as real life, so clutch in, change gear. Though in real life, you tend to press the clutch slightly before shifting the lever.

In the game, just press clutch + shift button at the same time. Like someone said, you save a few hundreds of a second as the game doesn't hold the clutch open as long as pure manual mode.

So, for example, I have the clutch button mapped to A. If I want to shift up, I press A + B at the same time. Downshift, I press A + X. It's basically what I normally do with manual mode except I am pressing two buttons now instead of one to shift.

Aw, I got it thanks a lot. Like I said above I am very experienced with manual transmissions in real life but I can't seem to translate it to a gaming controller.

Top Bottom