• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

jedimike

I just made the transition from auto to manual w/clutch using the speed wheel. I just got to the point where I could no longer be competitive with the auto. I use "a" as the clutch and then x and b to shift. I tend to screw up the shift from 1st to 2nd more than I'd like. Any tips? I'll be red-line in first, drop to second and then my rpm's will bottom out. Pissed me off...

The speed wheel glitch is getting to be a real pain in the ass as well. Nothing worse than starting a race and finding out you can't shift because the system doesn't think you're using the speed wheel. I have to exit to dashboard and restart the game.

Anyway, the transition to manual was really pretty painless. I just started out on some F class races. It tool all of 1 lap of 1 race to get proficient with shifting except for my one little trouble above.

SarBear

CrudeDiatribe

Get dat ass online and beat that time. Yep, first day with manual, mofo!

Damn, I just cut my Nurburgring time by 8 seconds with this manual stuff, and it was a spotty lap!

Just started playing this today and I'm seriously impressed. I haven't played a racer sim since the first Gran Turismo on PSX, which I100% completed that game back in '98. Looking forward to playing more of Forza.

Does it have a percentage to show how much of the single player career and cars you've unlocked?

skyfinch

Reluctant-Hero said:
Just started playing this today and I'm seriously impressed. I haven't played a racer sim since the first Gran Turismo on PSX, which I100% completed that game back in '98. Looking forward to playing more of Forza.

Does it have a percentage to show how much of the single player career and cars you've unlocked?

Yes, for single player. But not sure for cars, as all cars are already unlocked. You just need the credits to buy them. Go into profile, and it's under stats.

I'm on level 105, and only 21% complete.

Also, 4 more affinity levels and I can finally ditch Ferrari. Spent 26 hours in Ferraris, and driven over 2,500 miles.....

DasRaven

skyfinch said:
Yes, for single player. But not sure for cars, as all cars are already unlocked. You just need the credits to buy them. Go into profile, and it's under stats.

I'm on level 105, and only 21% complete.

Also, 4 more affinity levels and I can finally ditch Ferrari. Spent 26 hours in Ferraris, and driven over 2,500 miles.....

Are you maxing Ferrari for the Factory Driver achievement? I can't imagine any other reason to spendthat much time in something you don't love.
I'm targeting Lamborghini for that achievement but only because I'll never tire of looking at the LP570, Miura, and Countach. Free parts for the obviously upcoming Aventador will be nice too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
forza.jpg

U jelly?

kazinova said:
Use the setup with the clutch/handbrake on the d-pad. It's much easier to hit on the speed wheel. Plus having the clutch on the left seems to make more sense in my head since it's my left foot's job while I'm actually driving.

Yup, I couldn't deal with the gears on the d-pad but it came down to my being used to the x/b combo on a regular controller. For me the speedwheel is the first time I have tried clutch in a Forza game because I just can't deal with the regular controller finger gymnastics required.

SarBear

I'm thinking about (trying) organizing a photo contest. I've got a pre-order code that I obtained from Enron (thanks, bud!) for the Honda CR-Z that...well...I have no use for anymore. I was going to use it to trade for a Season Pass, but the brilliant folks at Best Buy covered that for next to nothing. And seeing as how they have been so nice to me, I think I'll give back to you guys.

Winner would obviously receive the code. However, I'm not sure about what car I would like captured just yet. Any interest?

Shaneus said:
The watch is permanently set to that time because, just like the game, there is no night mode.

Cold blooded, man.

Shaneus

enzo_gt said:
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/10/forza.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://kotaku.com/5853337/only-500-wrists-shall-ever-wear-this-forza-4-watch"]U jelly?[/URL][/QUOTE]
The watch is permanently set to that time because, just like the game, there is no night mode.

Aptos

Mascot said:
How do you remap the joypad? I thought you only had the option to choose from the presets they offer you?

It's button layout 5, I think.

jedimike said:
The speed wheel glitch is getting to be a real pain in the ass as well. Nothing worse than starting a race and finding out you can't shift because the system doesn't think you're using the speed wheel. I have to exit to dashboard and restart the game.

That's why I switched to X+A as downshift and B+A as upshift. When you reconnect the speed wheel the game thinks it's a real wheel setup, but you can switch the wheel setup to button layout 5 and so long as you set your speed wheel button layout to match, all the buttons are where they should be, no matter how retarded the game is.

To completely change the subject: my Xbox live account was suspended due to an "unauthorized access" where some asshat spent all 8,000 MS points I had on my account from that recent buy.com point card sale on some FIFA '12 gold packs. They lock you out of your account for ~25 business days (i.e. 5 weeks :/) while they "investigate," and so I won't be on. You can kick me from the club if you need room for more. But I'll be back when they fix this crap... what a joke...

Aurarian

Steering has definitely changed from FM3. I have it on simulation and I really hate driving cars like the RS-6 or even my XKR-S. They have so much speed compared to the handling. I may need to get used to them as well, but I've been trying to do the Jaguar showcase races the entire day and only managed to finish one out of four races. I know sometimes I go in a corner a bit fast, but the car feels like it can't grip to the pavement(I have the best tires on it at the moment). Still, I love this game.

Aurarian said:
Steering has definitely changed from FM3. I have it on simulation and I really hate driving cars like the RS-6 or even my XKR-S. They have so much speed compared to the handling. I may need to get used to them as well, but I've been trying to do the Jaguar showcase races the entire day and only managed to finish one out of four races. I know sometimes I go in a corner a bit fast, but the car feels like it can't grip to the pavement(I have the best tires on it at the moment). Still, I love this game.

You need to tune your suspension and brakes properly. Some cars feel like complete ass when completely upgraded, even with maxed tires, because the 'default' race suspension settings are junk.

SarBear

BoobPhysics101 said:
You need to tune your suspension and brakes properly. Some cars feel like complete ass when completely upgraded, even with maxed tires, because the 'default' race suspension settings are junk.

You online tonight?

Seanspeed

Banned
I can occasionally get faster times with the clutch, but I've found that it hinders me a lot, too. I'm so focused on getting perfect shifts that my braking and cornering abilities are turning inconsistent where they didn't used to be. I'm hoping its cuz I just haven't practiced enough, but its really bothering me at this point. It doesn't feel natural and I cant play online competitively until I get this straightened out cuz I look like an idiot sometimes.

Between this and Battlefield, I'm getting a bit frustrated with gaming.

Ugh........breathe Sean. Breathe.

I am considering jumping to manual transmission as well - something I've never done in a racing game. I just know my first few (several, really) races will be very messy.

Just how steep is the manual learning curve?

Aurarian

BoobPhysics101 said:

How would I go about this? @Funnybunny: You'll be used to it in no time. I remember when I made the switch. First couple of races and I was used to it. I can't play racing games that don't have the option for it.

SarBear

FunnyBunny said:
I am considering jumping to manual transmission as well - something I've never done in a racing game. I just know my first few (several, really) races will be very messy.

Just how steep is the manual learning curve?

Well, I've played quite a few racing games. And usually riding manual, for me, is a downtime that pays dividends some odd days later when it finally clicks. I've gotta say, Forza 4 and riding standard is just a natural fit. A really natural fit.

SarBear said:
Well, I've played quite a few racing games. And usually riding manual, for me, is a downtime that pays dividends some odd days later when it finally clicks. I've gotta say, Forza 4 and riding standard is just a natural fit. A really natural fit.

I think Forza 4 has one of the best clutch, shifting implementations.

SarBear said:
CrudeDiatribe

Get dat ass online and beat that time. Yep, first day with manual, mofo!

Damn, I just cut my Nurburgring time by 8 seconds with this manual stuff, and it was a spotty lap!

I'm 400km away from my XBox on a business trip. Should have sixteen hours of unpaid overtime built up over the week. Awesome.

BoobPhysics101 said:

Not all the cars have bad default settings for the race suspension; usually it's similar to the sport suspension, but firmed up even more.

Mascot said:
How do you remap the joypad? I thought you only had the option to choose from the presets they offer you?

With any of the presets, you can scroll down the list of options and swap things like 'handbrake/clutch' and 'camera/rewind'.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So what's with the VIP cars thing? Is that just a rumour, was it pre-order dudes who got em and not VIPs or what?

I'm confuzzled.

DasRaven

enzo_gt said:
So what's with the VIP cars thing? Is that just a rumour, was it pre-order dudes who got em and not VIPs or what?

I'm confuzzled.

VIP cars = those only included in the FM4 LCE: Veyron SS, 458 Challenge, LP570-4, M600, Rt12R
There will eventually be cars gifted to VIPs in FM4 by T10, but none have to been to date.

There were some cars sent to users who didn't receive their FM3 RX-7 Spirit R unicorn for preordering before they started FM4 and performed their import.
Those were a custom FM4-liveried standard 458 and a Joss JT1. Some also got all 3 FM3 unicorns gifted to them as well in FM4.

I personally got my Spirit R in FM3, imported it into FM4 and have received neither of the 2 apology cars.

guest1321

DasRaven said:
VIP cars = those only included in the FM4 LCE: Veyron SS, 458 Challenge, LP570-4, M600, Rt12R
There will eventually be cars gifted to VIPs in FM4 by T10, but none have to been to date.

There were some cars sent to users who didn't receive their FM3 RX-7 Spirit R unicorn for preordering before they started FM4 and performed their import.
Those were a custom FM4-liveried standard 458 and a Joss JT1. Some also got all 3 FM3 unicorns gifted to them as well in FM4.

I personally got my Spirit R in FM3, imported it into FM4 and have received neither of the 2 apology cars.
So do we know if they have stopped giving out said "apology cars"?

eek5

guest1321 said:
So do we know if they have stopped giving out said "apology cars"?
They posted in the week in review that they shipped out all the preorder cars (everyone who did the preorder incentive program was supposed to get this) and the forums blew up that thread complaining. It turns out most people have not recieved anything. After that the 999 credit bug surfaced and no one has seen or heard from anyone from T10 regarding anything :lol

Shaneus

SarBear said:
Yea, they seem to have gone ninja on us for some odd reason. Epic banwave perhaps?
It is weird. Normally I'd see the odd RT from T10 on Twitter from someone having a great experience with the game or even just a post on community events, but they've been quiet for a (relatively long) while.

eek5

Shaneus said:
It is weird. Normally I'd see the odd RT from T10 on Twitter from someone having a great experience with the game or even just a post on community events, but they've been quiet for a (relatively long) while.
phred last posted 20th, brian last posted the 21st

They didn't judge the photo contest or put a new one up for this week either.

They must all be partying or something

skyfinch

DasRaven said:
Are you maxing Ferrari for the Factory Driver achievement? I can't imagine any other reason to spendthat much time in something you don't love.
I'm targeting Lamborghini for that achievement but only because I'll never tire of looking at the LP570, Miura, and Countach. Free parts for the obviously upcoming Aventador will be nice too.

Yep. Done and done. Level 50. Total of 28 hours in Ferraris. Damn, now I can finally drive my Buick Regal....

h3ro

DasRaven said:

Those are the two that I'm after. Come on JUBE!

feel

Fuck, playing this with the Speed Wheel and most of the assists off is PURE BLISS! (and I'm horrible at it)

Any way to have the game recognize the regular controller and the speedwheel simultaneously?? I want to use the regular controller to navigate and use stuff like photo mode. The wheel is worthless for anything other than driving.

sneaky77

Letters said:
Fuck, playing this with the Speed Wheel and most of the assists off is PURE BLISS! (and I'm horrible at it)

Any way to have the game recognize the regular controller and the speedwheel simultaneously?? I want to use the regular controller to navigate and use stuff like photo mode. The wheel is worthless for anything other than driving.

No, you have to power one off to use the other

feel

sneaky77 said:
No, you have to power one off to use the other
Dammit that sucks :(

And it's not even as simple as you make it sound, I turn the wheel off and the other controller doesn't assume control of port1 and unless I switch my profile to it on the title menu I cannot control a thing. For fucks sake turn 10 how could you not think of this...

Letters said:
Dammit that sucks :(

And it's not even as simple as you make it sound, I turn the wheel off and the other controller doesn't assume control of port1 and unless I switch my profile to it on the title menu I cannot control a thing. For fucks sake turn 10 how could you not think of this...
That only happens if you've had both of them on at the same time without a restart. Next time make sure you turn one off first before turning the other one on. They'll both remain as player one.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
eek5 said:
phred last posted 20th, brian last posted the 21st

They didn't judge the photo contest or put a new one up for this week either.

They must all be partying or something

They're play testing Bathurst.

Aren't you Turn 10? AREN'T YOU? ANSWER ME DAMMIT!

*sadface*

skyfinch

Need a Forza 4 pit stop. Daytona USA tomorrow will do nicely.
But no worries, event listing is going down....most likely in 2012, when the fire storms hit.

feel

Big Takeover said:
That only happens if you've had both of them on at the same time without a restart. Next time make sure you turn one off first before turning the other one on. They'll both remain as player one.
Thanks, that worked

SarBear

I would hope they're doing something proactive about their release, because it was a big ole hooplah leading up to it, and since we've seen a couple developer races and that's it. A LOT of silence from Turn10.

Lovely manual gears, however. :bow

skyfinch

SarBear said:
I would hope they're doing something proactive about their release, because it was a big ole hooplah leading up to it, and since we've seen a couple developer races and that's it. A LOT of silence from Turn10.

Lovely manual gears, however. :bow

Are you using a wheeler or pad?

Top Bottom