• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Iknos

Mr.Green said:
You drive with a GAMEPAD!!!

Just kidding. Nothing against pad users, but they should be left off the leaderboards and should only be able to drive short buses.
With all the arcade assists it almost seems like the gamepad users get a more real experience.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Iknos said:
With all the arcade assists it almost seems like the gamepad users get a more real experience.

no. gamepad users have more assists that have much bigger effects on control then wheel users. even 900 degree fanatec wheel users.

Yoritomo said:
So I'm dumb. I was getting irritated at how long it took to make big adjustments in the tuning menu with a wheel... until I realized that if you steer the wheel it was like using the analog stick.

Ha, nice tip.

Was curious, sometimes I go into the tuning menu and I can't change anything about the gear ratios, like if I want a longer 3rd gear or something. It just won't change. Is this because the engine itself isn't upgraded or such?

Any car I use I can't seem to get the engine to tune. Even tried all the buttons on a pad instead of my wheel.

sneaky77

flyinpiranha said:
Ha, nice tip.

Was curious, sometimes I go into the tuning menu and I can't change anything about the gear ratios, like if I want a longer 3rd gear or something. It just won't change. Is this because the engine itself isn't upgraded or such?

Any car I use I can't seem to get the engine to tune. Even tried all the buttons on a pad instead of my wheel.

yeah, you need to buy certain upgrades to be able to tune. When you buy upgrades it will tell you if it will be tunable or just a regular upgrade. Stock cars have a lot of non tunable parts.

amar212

So CSI-GAF, what's up?

ye6jg.jpg

SarBear

Sarbear said:
I'm thinking about (trying) organizing a photo contest. I've got a pre-order code that I obtained from Enron (thanks, bud!) for the Honda CR-Z that...well...I have no use for anymore. I was going to use it to trade for a Season Pass, but the brilliant folks at Best Buy covered that for next to nothing. And seeing as how they have been so nice to me, I think I'll give back to you guys.

Winner would obviously receive the code. However, I'm not sure about what car I would like captured just yet. Any interest?

Seriously. I was really serious!! Any interest?

h3ro

i nerini del buio said:
I have the ferrari 458 challenge in the game
was it included with the limited edition?

I believe it's part of the VIP pack. I want the one they gave out to some because it has a bespoke livery on it.

Iknos

op_ivy said:
no. gamepad users have more assists that have much bigger effects on control then wheel users. even 900 degree fanatec wheel users.
I was joking too.

But I do believe that the steering assists and artifically induced snap oversteer apply equally to both. Doesnt matter what you use. Based on the demo never tried full game with pad.

The reality is that pad users have it tougher. If any pad user gets a top time they deserve the accolades.

op_ivy

Iknos said:
The reality is that pad users have it tougher. If any pad user gets a top time they deserve the accolades.

i'm not so sure. i know i set my fastest f3 times with a pad and it would likely be the same for fm4 - but i'd never go back, even for quicker lap times :p

guest1321

So I just completed season 10 of (league of legends). Feels really good. I know a lot of people said it felt repetitive but I find it hard to believe that they were expecting much else. Maybe some more bowling or an occasional drag race and fast pass?
Either way, I am extremely pleased with world tour and I can't believe that it really only covers such a small portion of the game overall.

op_ivy

guest1321 said:
So I just completed season 10 of (league of legends). Feels really good. I know a lot of people said it felt repetitive but I find it hard to believe that they were expecting much else. Maybe some more bowling or an occasional drag race and fast pass?
Either way, I am extremely pleased with world tour and I can't believe that it really only covers such a small portion of the game overall.

i'm nearly done and have one check mark on the event list and am at, like, 2.8% complete. crazy.

i do wish that the game did a slightly better way of allowing me to use the cars i want in world tour. there were still loads of times when you are forced to race things you dont want to (R2 and R3 i'm looking at you), or at the very least, make you switch to other cars in your garage to get events more to your liking.

Lothars

So has Turn 10 responded about the preorder cars that you are suppose to get if you sent in the reciept before the game was out?

op_ivy

Lothars said:
So has Turn 10 responded about the preorder cars that you are suppose to get if you sent in the reciept before the game was out?

no.

skyfinch

op_ivy said:
i'm nearly done and have one check mark on the event list and am at, like, 2.8% complete. crazy.

i do wish that the game did a slightly better way of allowing me to use the cars i want in world tour. there were still loads of times when you are forced to race things you dont want to (R2 and R3 i'm looking at you), or at the very least, make you switch to other cars in your garage to get events more to your liking.

Yeah, that's why earning affinity for a certain manufacture takes so long. It's not possible to go through world tour with only one car or manufacture. You're forced to switch.

Westonian

Finally back from vacation and put a few more hours in last night.

Noticed something that really bugs me last night. I have a higher end sound system than your typical guy (not bragging, just as a reference) and the sound in the game cracks and pops every so often. It's like fingernails on a chalk board for me. Has anyone else experienced this?

op_ivy

Westonian said:

Noticed something that really bugs me last night. I have a higher end sound system than your typical guy (not bragging, just as a reference) and the sound in the game cracks and pops every so often. It's like fingernails on a chalk board for me. Has anyone else experienced this?

its been mentioned a few times. i get it myself, usually when the game is processing an image upload or loading a replay or something. havent noticed it actually "in game" yet thankfully.

skyfinch

Westonian said:

Yes, it's a known glitch/bug that is carried over from FM3. I hear it once in a blue moon.

h3ro

Westonian said:

I notice it constantly through my center channel. Annoying to say the least.

ShapeGSX

Westonian said:

Yup, I get audio pops. Thankfully nothing that is speaker-damaging. But I still don't like it.

Forza 3 had this problem, too. I can't remember if it ever got fixed.

guest1321

op_ivy said:

How are you only 2.8% complete and nearly done? I'm not trying to call you out by any means I'm just curious. I finished the world tour with 8.7% completion and I only did three or four races through events list.

ShapeGSX said:
Yup, I get audio pops. Thankfully nothing that is speaker-damaging. But I still don't like it.

Forza 3 had this problem, too. I can't remember if it ever got fixed.
When I got Forza 3 2 months ago it was still present. I have yet to hear it in Forza 4 so maybe that is a sign that it has been slightly fixed. I recall hearing a lot of it when I crashed into a wall and it made a weird pop/distortion sound.

I'm still curious as to what noise is trying to be emulated when you are racing on the speedways and headed down the straights and all of a sudden you hear a chriiccchhhhh (2 seconds max) and then it disappears. It is so sporadic it almost seems like there is 1 situation in which that sound clip is used and it just happened to contain some background noise. It was apparent if Forza 3 so assuming that they recaptured ALL of the sounds it is would render my hypothesis null. Which begs the question: what the hell is it?

It's amazing how there are GT5 fanboys lurking this topic and the livery topic and posting people's replies in the garbage topic, as if nobody reads both.

One guy is literally mad people are so impressed in the livery topic :lol what the fuck.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Infamous Chris said:
It's amazing how there are GT5 fanboys lurking this topic and the livery topic and posting people's replies in the garbage topic, as if nobody reads both.

One guy is literally mad people are so impressed in the livery topic :lol what the fuck.
People do this, still?

I swore off going into that topic again, what a great decision. What a piece of shit you have to be to take discomfort with others enjoying themselves. The FM3 vs. GT5 thread was one of the worst I've seen on GAF. Completely delusional folk in there.

op_ivy

guest1321 said:
How are you only 2.8% complete and nearly done? I'm not trying to call you out by any means I'm just curious. I finished the world tour with 8.7% completion and I only did three or four races through events list.

i'm at work and cant check my current completion, but i do check it from time to time and the last number i recall was that. i had to be on either the last, or second to last, season. i'll double check latter. either way, its stupid low. i must have lots of repeated events? whenever possible, i did try to race with my preference cars (usually d, c, and b classes). i definitely only have one event marked as complete in the event list though.

enzo_gt said:
People do this, still?

I swore off going into that topic again, what a great decision. What a piece of shit you have to be to take discomfort with others enjoying themselves. The FM3 vs. GT5 thread was one of the worst I've seen on GAF. Completely delusional folk in there.

The topic is even worse then you remember it. It's pretty much a bunch of people saying reviews/metacritic don't matter anymore (since Forza is the highest rated sim franchise this gen by a longshot), and framerate doesn't matter, but handpicked gifs, opinions, and track realism matter. Oh, and now sales matter, too.

It's a cesspool and I don't understand why it isn't locked. I don't blame you for staying away.

Westonian

On the one hand, I'm glad the audio cracking/popping isn't just me. On the other hand, it's a downer when compared to the other racing sim I play, Forza sounds so much better. Hopefully Turn 10 can pinpoint the cause and fix it.

Other than that, I'm loving the game so far!

LordAlu

Just got this game and loving it, just wondering if someone could answer a question though? When I go to Free Play -> Hot Lap and start racing, instead of lap times in the corner all I get are points? Is there a way to switch it to lap times? The manual tells me nothing and all Google search comes up with is people coming up with random challenges :/

op_ivy

Infamous Chris said:
It's a cesspool and I don't understand why it isn't locked. I don't blame you for staying away.

it has done a good job of largely keeping that discussion out of the gt5 or fm5 threads.

DasRaven

LordAlu said:
Just got this game and loving it, just wondering if someone could answer a question though? When I go to Free Play -> Hot Lap and start racing, instead of lap times in the corner all I get are points? Is there a way to switch it to lap times? The manual tells me nothing and all Google search comes up with is people coming up with random challenges :/

You have the drift hud enabled. Go into the pause menu and change that option.

skyfinch

Infamous Chris said:
The topic is even worse then you remember it. It's pretty much a bunch of people saying reviews/metacritic don't matter anymore (since Forza is the highest rated sim franchise this gen by a longshot), and framerate doesn't matter, but handpicked gifs, opinions, and track realism matter. Oh, and now sales matter, too.

I would enter that thread, but wouldn't be able to read much since most are on my ignore list.

amar212

Infamous Chris said:
It's a cesspool and I don't understand why it isn't locked.

Serves many good purposes:

- established a pool for useless debates
- keeps official threads clean and moderate
- allows for great fun in both reading and participating
- can build a flawless opinion about many participants

If locked, the 2007-2008 horror would be back in both OP's. And it was horror, beyond imaginable.

XShagrath

op_ivy said:
i'm at work and cant check my current completion, but i do check it from time to time and the last number i recall was that. i had to be on either the last, or second to last, season. i'll double check latter. either way, its stupid low. i must have lots of repeated events? whenever possible, i did try to race with my preference cars (usually d, c, and b classes). i definitely only have one event marked as complete in the event list though.
The problem is that there are events in the seasons that don't count towards your event list completion. For example, racing one of the R2 Euro-Tours on Mugello shows up in Season Play, but you don't do Mugello in the Event List version. So that's how you can complete all of the seasons and still only be like 5% done with the game. It's going to extend the game out more because they don't line up, but I still think it's stupid.

Shaneus

Westonian said:
On the one hand, I'm glad the audio cracking/popping isn't just me. On the other hand, it's a downer when compared to the other racing sim I play, Forza sounds so much better. Hopefully Turn 10 can pinpoint the cause and fix it.

Other than that, I'm loving the game so far!
The *exact* same thing happened in FM3. I have no idea how they didn't fix it this time. You'd think that even if it was a clipping issue, dropping the in-game volume back should fix it.

guest1321

XShagrath said:
The problem is that there are events in the seasons that don't count towards your event list completion. For example, racing one of the R2 Euro-Tours on Mugello shows up in Season Play, but you don't do Mugello in the Event List version. So that's how you can complete all of the seasons and still only be like 5% done with the game. It's going to extend the game out more because they don't line up, but I still think it's stupid.
Are you sure about that? That would explains so much. I spent a while surfing around trying to find an event in the event list that I raced in world tour but never came up with anything. I thought I may have mixed up the event title or possibly was mixing up the tracks. That is a little bothersome that it works like that but now I want to know how many races I have done that haven't counted towards my overall career.

If the races are already in the game and a part of World Tour why not just append those races onto the events they correlate with?

XShagrath

guest1321 said:
Are you sure about that? That would explains so much. I spent a while surfing around trying to find an event in the event list that I raced in world tour but never came up with anything. I thought I may have mixed up the event title or possibly was mixing up the tracks. That is a little bothersome that it works like that but now I want to know how many races I have done that haven't counted towards my overall career.

If the races are already in the game and a part of World Tour why not just append those races onto the events they correlate with?
I'm 100% certain. I completed a race and then checked the Event List and saw that I was 0/4 on that series. I noticed that the track I had just raced wasn't one of those on the list. The next race I had in Season Play, I saw what three series were offered, and then went back to Event List and checked to see if one of those contained that track. Only one of them did, so I did that race, and then went back and checked the Event List and it was checked off.

I'm not going to back out and re-check every single race, so I guess I'll just race the ones that give me the most +Affinity and hope that at least some of them coincide with stuff in the Event List so that I can "double dip".

SarBear

BruiserBear said:
Do the season events get much harder as the seasons go on? I'm just curious if it becomes ass kicking later on.

Marginally more difficult: only in terms of aggressiveness. Their lines are still (basically) scripted, they just don't seem to give a fuck about your presence anymore and will take you out if you're in their way. Nothing you can't tackle in a full lap or so, however.

Top Bottom