• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

I can't for the life of me figure out why they auto-upgrade your prize cars. Can anyone see the logic in this? Is it because not all the choices are race winning cars? The whole difficulty situation is such a tangled web.

Big Takeover said:
I can't for the life of me figure out why they auto-upgrade your prize cars. Can anyone see the logic in this? Is it because not all the choices are race winning cars? The whole difficulty situation is such a tangled web.

I had posted earlier why I thought, but I will do it again. I think one of the reasons is to make the cars "equal" in they eyes of the players. The natural choice for non-hardcore players would be to always pick the fastest or best one. The other reason is probably to help the majority of players. The ones who don't really understand the tuning/upgrading, the ones who use the Auto Upgrade option all the time. To them, they instantly win a car that is at the top of its class and they can immediately go out and race with it and win. It is annoying for those of us who want to either run it stock, or with our upgrades, but I can definitely see the logic in it for the larger population.

I still don't like it mind you, I can just see what they were thinking.

To the progressive thinking, tree-hugging hippy at T10 who decided it was better to let everyone win with cheater cars rather than put an AI difficulty slider in - you blew it. Go back to baking cookies or whatever. :)

G Rom

Shortt Sirket said:
I tried to explain it above, but basically I set a time driving like a maniac. Randomly stopping, doing donuts, bouncing off walls etc. The person who can get the closest to my time (Dirty laps only) without going under, wins. Sort of a "Hit the Target" thing. I am basing off the Rallye Events that car clubs put on where you have to hit certain times between the checkpoints without going faster.

Does that make any sense or am I just losing it?

Wouldn't it be easy for someone to just get your time in the leaderboard, go as fast as possible while making the lap dirty and then wait for your ghost to cross the line ?

The auto upgrades don't even make sense; they gave my McLaren F1 power upgrades. What's the point of that? Why does Turn 10 insist on so much hand holding? Just let me play and figure it out. At some point you have to let the players play the game. Novice users will figure out how to upgrade a car after they lose a race. It's inevitable.

Which makes the AI in the world tour even more ridiculous, because the game auto upgrades your car, but you're still going to be smoked down the straights in the A and S class races. The world tour AI has the two fast guys up front, and nine slow drivers just trying to hold you up/ kill you.

If I want to be annoyed or frustrated, I'll go into the world tour. When I want to enjoy a great game, I use the event list. And the world tour is really good, but the AI is really holding it back.

G Rom said:
Wouldn't it be easy for someone to just get your time in the leaderboard, go as fast as possible while making the lap dirty and then wait for your ghost to cross the line ?

Oh yeah, if they want to be boring, they totally could. But that still wouldn't guarantee they would get it. It is hard to get it that close without going over. Okay, so not ALL of these ideas were good! What do you WANT FROM ME??

Mascot

hgplayer1 said:
I do think though that its a minor gripe for a game that does so many other things extremely well.
Minor gripe? World Tour is THE jewel in the single-player crown, and is the major offline mode. Pre-launch a big fuss was made by Turn 10 about how adaptive AI would always ensure that you had competitive races in the World Tour, yet this is an absolute pure nonsense for seemingly the vast majority of players. Adaptive AI was claimed to offer a major improvement in how the game plays, yet it was obviously broken before the game was even released and cannot even be overridden, rendering a large part of the single-player experience as a challenge-free cakewalk.

But don't worry, brush it all under the carpet because other parts of the game are good.

Minor gripe?
Really..?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shortt Sirket said:
Oh yeah, if they want to be boring, they totally could. But that still wouldn't guarantee they would get it. It is hard to get it that close without going over. Okay, so not ALL of these ideas were good! What do you WANT FROM ME??
moar free cars ;D

nagge

Shortt Sirket said:

Plus you could just do a roll across the finish line and if you're ahead of the ghost just rewind and try again a little slower until perfect ;)

nagge said:
Plus you could just do a roll across the finish line and if you're ahead of the ghost just rewind and try again a little slower until perfect ;)

GODDAMIT!

I totally didn't think of that...

....shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shortt Sirket said:
Then shut yer complainin' hole!

PS: Nobody ever did guess my last car correctly.
This one?

Guess.jpg

Alfa 8C?
Audi TT Coupe/TT-RS?
Crossfire?
Mantide?
Codatronca?
New Gen Eclipse?
350/370Z?
Tuscan S?

enzo_gt said:
So then either the Veyron SS or the 5.2 R8, amirite?

I know that was way to easy, but I just wanted someone to get it. You want a $500k car or I think I might have an extra code sitting around.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shortt Sirket said:
I know that was way to easy, but I just wanted someone to get it. You want a $500k car or I think I might have an extra code sitting around.
Already have the pack.

An F40 would be nice :p

legbone

burgerdog said:
I just realized that I never found the code for the premium theme for buying the LE. Where is the code?

wasn't there some snafu with that and that's why the premium theme is available for free download in the storefront?

i got it for free from the storefront before my ce came in the mail.

burgerdog

legbone said:
wasn't there some snafu with that and that's why the premium theme is available for free download in the storefront?

i got it for free from the storefront before my ce came in the mail.
Ah, I'll check out the storefront and see if it's there, thanks.

Seanspeed

Banned
Xanadu said:
i mostly play online

Xanadu said:
i've been playing mostly offline
Do you really wonder why some of us cant take you seriously?

Anyways, the AI is definitely atrocious. Not difficult to beat, but difficult to be around. It can be good at times, but it seems the majority of the time, its just plain dangerous to be near an AI car. Proper clean driving simply doesn't work with them. I just make sure I take advantage of their letting off or braking where they dont need to and pass there. I suppose thats not much different from Forza 3, but I at least felt safer.

As for the upgrading reward cars, it makes sense to me. It allows players to have a competitive car right off the bat without having to spend any money. Its definitely catering to the casual crowd who dont want to work to make money and upgrade their cars themselves, but I'm sure its a big help. And I've gotta admit, it probably saved me a fair bit of money in the beginning, too, as I could use that car for a few races, get my affinity with the manufacturer to Level 4, get rid of the upgrades and do it myself for free.

And I love how easy it is to make money in Rivals. I made over 700,000 credits within a half hour. Beat rival for 25,000 credits in one lap. Beat rival for 50,000 credits in one lap. And when I say one lap, I mean ONE lap, from a standing start. Next beat two 100,000 credit rivals within two laps each. Then took me 3 laps to beat a 150,000 credit rival. And between bonuses and leveling up, I made a full 700,000 credits. So awesome. I like not needing to feel so stingy with my money. I can indulge in ways I never could in past games. 900,000 Z4 race car? Why the hell not? :)

Shortt Sirket said:
Dammit, I said Veyron a few pages back, just not the SS bit! D'oh!

enzo_gt said:
Thanks for the car Shortt Sirket! :D

No prob man!

Now you guys need to start talking about what kind of Event you want to do. I want to start it tomorrow, so we need to figure out what people are up for. You can use my ideas, or come up with one all on your own. I just want to do something that will be interesting and enjoyable for everyone, not just the best racers.

SarBear

Shortt Sirket said:
No prob man!

Now you guys need to start talking about what kind of Event you want to do. I want to start it tomorrow, so we need to figure out what people are up for. You can use my ideas, or come up with one all on your own. I just want to do something that will be interesting and enjoyable for everyone, not just the best racers.

Fastest time around Le Mans with a completely busted gearbox? In your favorite car, the Prius?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
skyfinch said:
Most roll overs would be fun. A bit of a hassle having to record the replay and uploading for proof.
Yeah the issue with most the events listed comes with scoring, cheat-proofing and proving legitimacy. Time trials remove all that but they're just a bit... limiting. Considering y'all are heated over rivals stuff already.

I am actually getting a little annoyed at Turn10 recently. The Unicorns aren't working for a lot of people, there has been no talk about the 900 degree fix, their Photo Competitions are behind, the Daily Credits for visiting the storefront aren't working, etc. It just feels like they have fallen off the face of the earth recently. I know they just released the game and are probably getting some much needed RR, I am just surprised they have been so quiet recently.

Eh, maybe I am just in a foul mood tonight or something.

SarBear

Nope, I completely agree with every point you made. There are dedicated people to attack such tasks, community P.R.

I don't know what the hell is happening. Or has happened.

G Rom

Out of the blue, we'll get a big patch tomorrow or next week fixing all the wheel issue, all the credits issue, all the cheating issues, all the A.I issues and unlocking more time of day for every track in the process.

BELIEVE

eek5

damnit G Rom .. had my hopes up lol

Shortt Sirket said:
I am actually getting a little annoyed at Turn10 recently. The Unicorns aren't working for a lot of people, there has been no talk about the 900 degree fix, their Photo Competitions are behind, the Daily Credits for visiting the storefront aren't working, etc. It just feels like they have fallen off the face of the earth recently. I know they just released the game and are probably getting some much needed RR, I am just surprised they have been so quiet recently.

Eh, maybe I am just in a foul mood tonight or something.
I'm hopeful that they've decided to switch to the forum for photo contests. FB is awful. They did do DLC trivia on FB and forums though but they've been awfully quiet on other fronts.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
G Rom said:
Out of the blue, we'll get a big patch tomorrow or next week fixing all the wheel issue, all the credits issue, all the cheating issues, all the A.I issues and unlocking more time of day for every track in the process.

BELIEVE
No weather?

NO SALE!

SarBear

eek5 said:
damnit G Rom .. had my hopes up lol

I'm hopeful that they've decided to switch to the forum for photo contests. FB is awful. They did do DLC trivia on FB and forums though but they've been awfully quiet on other fronts.

Yep, my butthole puckered up in joy for just a second.

Mr.Green

I find the lack of reaction to my Granny Smith disheartening. The attention whore in me is very sad.

/slams door
/leaves room crying

TheMan

So is there a waiting list for getting into the GAF car club? If so, I'd like to be on it.

XBL Tag: TheMan2010

Iknos

No worries Mr Green you just posted what we all were thinking.

Stig if you are finding AI cars too fast it could be your car. If you want easy races choose the fastest car at the expense of handling and braking. And acceleration. Gear for good speeds on straights. Keep crappy stock tires on.

The AI is slow through corners anyways so even if you baby the car at every corner you will win.

There's a few issues with T10s post launch support but I can forgive them to a certain extent. Also I've seen this with some of my other favorite racers released in the last year.

What I do not forgive or understand was the whole "selling the game" part.

I'm talking about the "here take my money and let me play the game" part.

- at launch you had different pre order bonuses for every store under the sun. I just want the game and all the cars. I want cars from every bonus and it's impossible to get. Maybe I'm wrong it just seems that way. Who was the dumbass who thought of that.

- the season pass reduces the price of the car packs to what they were in fm3. Yay? So I don't exactly save money do I? Spend whatever on the pass and the DLC and I already have the DLC from the LE. To make up for this I get in game credits and not tokens. 10 tokens would have meant real world money. Would have meant LEers with season passes having a very nice garage on day one.

There's a lot to live about this game but there's a lot that wasn't thought through.

The people in charge of physics are awesome while thepeople in charge of controls are fools. Whoever came up with the plan for around 10 DLC cars a month is awesome but the guy who thought of this whole season pass thing was a fool. Just like last year when some goof thought that hoppers were the be all and end all of online racing.

Anyways rant off time to go home and see if I can play some tonight.

sneaky77

Iknos said:
- the season pass reduces the price of the car packs to what they were in fm3. Yay? .

That's irrelevant to Fm4 the price went up, you have the option to buy a season pass to get a discount.

I agree that Turn10 in my eyes botched the whole release and support the first month, they don't seem to want to communicate with the community all that much and keep people with whats going on, that's their prerogative of course, but there are a few bugs and there don't seem to be answers for them or even an eta for an expected patch.

I still love the game, but I am a bit disapointed with the way Turn 10 has handled it.

bkfount said:
It does that because people keep bidding.
It needs to be exactly one minute and not be based on the number of bids. Anyway, I bought most of the cheaper Ferraris and I'm thinking about buying some car tokens for the ridiculously expensive cars.

I WAS going to use one of the new Rivals Challenges as our event, but SOME people just can't keep their pants on.

I will figure out the track/class combo tomorrow.

Conquering The Bull – Battle your rival at the limits of speed in the brand new 2012 Lamborghini Aventador. Each week 100 randomly chosen players from this leaderboard will receive a 2002 BMW M3-GTR, a “unicorn car” only available from Turn 10. The November Speed Pack is required to participate in this event.

Motegi Track Day – The two-fold challenge of Track Day events is to defeat your rival while weaving your way through heavy traffic. Master the traffic on Twin Ring Motegi while trying to take down your rival’s time in A-Class Japanese cars. Upgrades and tuning are allowed.

European Sedan Quarter Mile – Step up to the line on Hockenheim Ring’s quarter-mile drag strip in your best European sedan to take down your rival. This event is open to any European sedans under 500 HP. Upgrades and tuning are allowed.

The Sliding Pony – Drift past your rival’s score in your favorite Ford Mustang at the Benchmark Test Track. Tuning setups are allowed within restrictions. Installation of the Launch Track Pack is required to participate in this event.

Barcelona Battle – Since 1991, Circuit de Catalunya has produced many memorable moments in motorsports. Here’s your chance to create one more in the R3 race car of your choice as you try to take down your rival’s lap time.

Big Takeover said:
Conquering The Bull – Battle your rival at the limits of speed in the brand new 2012 Lamborghini Aventador. Each week 100 randomly chosen players from this leaderboard will receive a 2002 BMW M3-GTR, a “unicorn car” only available from Turn 10. The November Speed Pack is required to participate in this event.

This is pretty cool. I'd think you'd have a good chance at getting the unicorn if they're giving out 100 weekly.

skyfinch

I'm at level 150 and it said "you have been gifted a free beardjob", but when I went to redeem it, it gave me a "no eye contact" achievement.

Top Bottom