• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

So according to the leader boards this morning Forza 4 is over 1million players.

Congratulation Turn 10.

I think it reached 1 million faster then 3 did.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So according to the leader boards this morning Forza 4 is over 1million players.

Congratulation Turn 10.

Congrats.

But, not to sound ungrateful or anything, but only a million? For the resources it appears they're pouring into Forza.. I would have expected more than a million in sales by now, especially considering it is one of MS' flagship titles.

skyfinch

Congratulation Turn 10.

I used to follow the leaderboards for FM3 very closely. Almost certain that FM4 took a bit longer to reach a million. Understandable considering the amount of good games released within a few weeks of FM4's release date. Hopefully the people who passed on FM4, due to the other games, will have it on their Christmas list.

Less than a week away until Dec and not a whole lot of news regarding the next DLC pack......

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Congrats.

But, not to sound ungrateful or anything, but only a million? For the resources it appears they're pouring into Forza.. I would have expected more than a million in sales by now, especially considering it is one of MS' flagship titles.

Not every player goes online :p

I'm sure this was over a million a while ago.

Less than a week away until Dec and not a whole lot of news regarding the next DLC pack......

The latest WIR mentioned the next DLC. They said, "Well, next week will see the announcement of our next add-on pack for Forza 4. We’ll be announcing with a special partner, so keep your eyes peeled to our Twitter and Facebook feeds, as we’ll be updating you all the moment the announcement hits the Internet. Stay tuned!"

So we should have more information by next week.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The latest WIR mentioned the next DLC. They said, "Well, next week will see the announcement of our next add-on pack for Forza 4. We’ll be announcing with a special partner, so keep your eyes peeled to our Twitter and Facebook feeds, as we’ll be updating you all the moment the announcement hits the Internet. Stay tuned!"

So we should have more information by next week.
Partner?

Like Porsche amirite?

Probably another shitty Nissan Sentra pack :p

G Rom

1M isn't a lot but it's still charting in the UK I think and the game was released just before : a new CoD, a new BF, a new AC, a remake of Halo+new map pack for Reach, a new Elder Scrolls, Arkham City, etc...
This season is just insane in terms of good/excellent games and unfortunately we know that racing games aren't the as popular games as they once used to be... :-/

Less than a week until december but more than a week until the first tuesday of december so they have plenty of time to release infos next week before the DLC drops. I think BADNED mentioned that Turn 10 might want to do some spy shots this time.

BTW, the photo/livery thread is already dying and starting to feel like the FM3's one which died quickly as well with everyone ending up posting their stuff in the OT, shall we start doing the same ?

6408407947_6ee525e987_b.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
What I honestly miss is the gifting of cars from T10 to LCE owners that made me come back to FM3 frequently.

Sidenote: is it possible to re-import the FM3 savegame to FM4? Would like to drive the HKS Evo in 4 as well, but only used the gifted one from FM3 there. rebought it in 3 after seeing it didn't transfer to my 4 garage.

G Rom

Yeah, VIP has been worthless... :(

Where did this urban legend of the HKS being a car you can import come from ?
You can't import it from FM3 (otherwise I would have it :D).

gragy10

Yeah, VIP has been worthless... :(

Couldn't agree with this more - FM3 gifting was constant and (for me anyway) really encouraged exploration of different cars.
This time round there's hardly been anything in gifts or even more general community interaction from T10

G Rom

Ok, why didn't Turn 10 allowed this in the game : Autovista in the Top Gear Studio.
There's almost no bloom in that homespace so the cars look way better there. I mean, the V12 of 599 GTO in that video : O_O
I also learned that there's a mod for the game allowing for 15 AIs in SP races. I would be really curious to see the framerate in those races...

BTW, thanks for the H1 Shortt Sirket. I only saw it yesterday when I was online.

XShagrath

Yeah, the VIP thing has been pretty garbage. I drove 70+ miles round-trip to pick up the last LE in my area (all the way on the other side of Orlando), mainly due to the fact that the FM3 VIP program was so awesome with the gifted cars and stuff. So far, all the VIP for FM4 has gotten me is a little crown next to my name. Big whoop.

skyfinch

You guys don't like the crown next to your username? It makes me feel like a king....or prince, soon to be king.

And WOW! at that Mclaren pic, G Rom.

SarBear

I dont think anyone's expecting anything decent from the wigs at Turn10 right now. They had a great push before the game dropped, but (IMO) the clusterfucked Game w/Devs management, random unjustified bannings, game breaking bugs, and lack of any real interaction with the community (aside from a few fine folks) is pretty much murdering their running legs.

Dont get me wrong, I love the game, will play for as long as i can. Especially until I can be gifted a 360 Challenge Stradale...*ahem*....but, this is going to turn into a game where the average player WILL NOT be able to jump online and race competitively. I'm talking absolute punishment because only the hardest of the hardcore will continue.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What I honestly miss is the gifting of cars from T10 to LCE owners that made me come back to FM3 frequently.

Sidenote: is it possible to re-import the FM3 savegame to FM4? Would like to drive the HKS Evo in 4 as well, but only used the gifted one from FM3 there. rebought it in 3 after seeing it didn't transfer to my 4 garage.
Yeah this is also kind of part of the reason why I haven't touched FM4 in a while.. I thought I got something for the money. Believe it or not, aside from the car packs, the other big reason why I went with the LCE was for the VIP package which subconsciously kept me coming back to the game to get some brief stints in.

That isn't there. And yes, I DO still expect Turn10 to hold themselves to what they promised. Seems like the community here has dropped off pretty fucking significantly with no VIP love at all. They just seem to have forgotten about it altogether, and that's a GRAND lack of support, but this is a major fucking turn off, especially amidst them prioritizing rolling out DLC updates before fixing bugs, fixing online, so much shit.

I was really hyped for this game the first week but all of these factors have saddened me pretty greatly. You don't make such a huge community-oriented game and drop the ball on this level.

I have just realized how much of a waste the LCE was for me, I hardly use the dlc or even really play the game right now with stuff going on, car packs just suck for me.

Need to get this game back from my friend too, man what happened I used to play forza 1 and 2 every day like mad.

h3ro

Right on Enzo, I felt the same way about F3.

I'm really disappointed in how little I've gotten out of the LE package this time around. In F3, it felt like I was getting a new release-themed car weekly.

VIP stuff aside... Why on earth haven't they been changing Rivals mode weekly?!

Right on Enzo, I felt the same way about F3.

I'm really disappointed in how little I've gotten out of the LE package this time around. In F3, it felt like I was getting a new release-themed car weekly.

VIP stuff aside... Why on earth haven't they been changing Rivals mode weekly?!

Isn't it supposed to be monthly though? (The changing section is called Community Monthly.)

Looking forward to new rivals races they add. But... I still haven't finished all the current ones yet.

--

Some of the complaints about the game seem strange to me. Still loving the game myself. But...I don't have VIP, so I don't have anything to be pissed off about there, and don't feel like a few free cars would have much of an effect on me either way anyway. Also don't care about game with dev stuff or other interaction or lack thereof from Turn 10. Just don't feel like I need them interacting with me in any way other than spitting out car packs and whatnot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Isn't it supposed to be monthly though? (The changing section is called Community Monthly.)

Looking forward to new rivals races they add. But... I still haven't finished all the current ones yet.

--

Some of the complaints about the game seem strange to me. Still loving the game myself. But...I don't have VIP, so I don't have anything to be pissed off about there, and don't feel like a few free cars would have much of an effect on me either way anyway. Also don't care about game with dev stuff or other interaction or lack thereof from Turn 10. Just don't feel like I need them interacting with me in any way other than spitting out car packs and whatnot.
I certainly feel like fixing bug support, broken online public lobbies and giving me what I paid for already is more important than giving me more content to pay for in the future, and can see it no other way.

I certainly feel like fixing bug support, broken online public lobbies and giving me what I paid for already is more important than giving me more content to pay for in the future, and can see it no other way.

Fixing bugs should be a priority, yes. What is with public lobbies, is something going on with them?

Marco1

Well said about the LE VIP features but as much as I love F4 I have gone back to GT5.
I don't know why because I despise the inconsistent framerate and standard cars but it just has something that forza doesn't.
Also as much as I lambasted che, he is a lot better that what they have now.

h3ro

Also as much as I lambasted che, he is a lot better that what they have now.

I didn't agree with all of his tactics but at least he was here and interacted with us. Eckberg is good for the weekly roundup and maybe a random post on FM.net, nothing else. That's all.

I shudder to think what kind of support we'd see without Jube.

<3 Jube.

Current amount of players on the leaderboards:

Forza 2: 3,002,814
Forza 3: 4,659,953
Forza 4: 1,049,635

Personally, I'm disappointed with the lack of innovation in the Forza games. Forza keeps sticking closely to the Gran Tourismo model of simply having a bunch of cars with a bunch of tracks, and not doing very much with it. Anything resembling real-life motorsport is kept out of it.
And what happened to the tournaments in Forza 2 (and PGR 3/4)? The daily tournaments in PGR4 were the greatest feature of the game. And remember PGR3 when online watching of races ("Gotham TV") seemed to be the future? Racing games as an active e-sport seems further away than ever...

Gor@n

Neo Member
Haven't touched the game in a month, any news on season pass buyers and the extra credits? Now i'm regretting the purchase considering how many codes were thrown around in last months pack, seriously where's the reward for people who buy the LCE and the SP? If this is any indication of how T10 treats its fans, might have to pass on any DLC after the season pass.

Marco1

That's unfortunate and will surely affect how F5 is produced.
I blame the autovista and kinect features, MS need to stop forcing that shit into their games.
Strange that F4 has so many less players yet is the pinnacle of the franchise. Maybe the players have given up on what appears to be the same game but with some new features.

G Rom

Tournaments integrated in the game with an XSN-like website and bringing back Forza TV (from Forza 2) are on my wishlist as well as stuff to improve the motorsport aspect of the series which is seriously lacking.
Hopefully with next-gen they'll be able to really develop this as I don't think it's incompatible with the car lovers stuff.

Marco1

I agree, I think the problem is the hardware and that this gen has lasted longer that it should.
The first-party franchises are churning out the same annual shit but are now forced to come up with new ideas and experiences on hardware they can't push any further.
Hopefully new more powerful hardware will unlock features that have been sitting on their whiteboards but unable to be implemented due to the hardware.

That's unfortunate and will surely affect how F5 is produced.
I blame the autovista and kinect features, MS need to stop forcing that shit into their games.
Strange that F4 has so many less players yet is the pinnacle of the franchise. Maybe the players have given up on what appears to be the same game but with some new features.

I don't think the sell through pattern is much different than the previous games though. The others didn't have 3 and 4 million in the month after it's release. It took a good long while to accumulate to that level.

Would love to see some more "motorsports" ascpects added. It will probably not happen, but I sometimes imagine how cool it would be to watch races (ala gotham TV) by walking around the track, being able to poke around the paddocks and the stands etc. while a race is going on...would be a neat atmosphere.

I agree, I think the problem is the hardware and that this gen has lasted longer that it should.
The first-party franchises are churning out the same annual shit but are now forced to come up with new ideas and experiences on hardware they can't push any further.
Hopefully new more powerful hardware will unlock features that have been sitting on their whiteboards but unable to be implemented due to the hardware.

But at the beginning of this generation we did have tournaments in racing games, and we could watch races onlines (or as replays). And we had websites where we could keep track of race results (pgrnations.com). And in a game like Dirt 1 we could play a full championship season. Why has all of this fallen by the wayside?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I didn't agree with all of his tactics but at least he was here and interacted with us. Eckberg is good for the weekly roundup and maybe a random post on FM.net, nothing else. That's all.

I shudder to think what kind of support we'd see without Jube.

<3 Jube.
No offense to Jube, but he doesn't do much. Jube isn't influential or involved in the parts we are complaining about, the VIP support, bug fixing, none of that is Jube's domain. It's great to have someone awesome like Jube (or Che) here to interact with the community that isn't the official community, and GAF is blessed to have that opportunity.

Fixing bugs should be a priority, yes. What is with public lobbies, is something going on with them?
Well, for one I can never get a fucking game started because no one seems to be all ready'd up, or people keep perpetually voting to kick and voting for a different track to no end. The lobby system in this game is broken beyond belief and opens up every single venue for people to grief. Every issue with the lobby is something that I could've swore was made common sense long ago, standardized by games like Halo and whatnot too. I would certainly go far as saying it's the worst lobby system in a game I've played in a long time.

Simple shit like only one vote to skip, or a timer before a second race force begins, or not having votes to skip tracks/kick people not delaying the start of a race; all of these things should be non-issues and it's perplexing why these issues even exist. This is why I've given up racing online period.

Well, for one I can never get a fucking game started because no one seems to be all ready'd up, or people keep perpetually voting to kick and voting for a different track to no end. The lobby system in this game is broken beyond belief and opens up every single venue for people to grief. Every issue with the lobby is something that I could've swore was made common sense long ago, standardized by games like Halo and whatnot too. I would certainly go far as saying it's the worst lobby system in a game I've played in a long time.

Simple shit like only one vote to skip, or a timer before a second race force begins, or not having votes to skip tracks/kick people not delaying the start of a race; all of these things should be non-issues and it's perplexing why these issues even exist. This is why I've given up racing online period.

Yes, it seems as if for every Forza game the lobby system is created from scratch (probably by someone else), without taking into account the lessons learned from the previous game (or even better, from other games, like Halo, as you mention).
For me, the lobby system of PGR2 has never been equalled in a racing game (for example, in the lobby of an ongoing race you could see exactly where everyone was on the track). It's not for no reason that many people still think about PGR2 as their best online racing experience. It certainly was for me.

Oh I see. I've played only cycled production online so far, mostly sticking to rivals mode for now. Later on I'll be delving into multiplayer more. Perhaps the old standby of racing with friends or club members is the way to go then...

Still waiting on a club invite btw! :(

tirant

Personally, I'm disappointed with the lack of innovation in the Forza games. Forza keeps sticking closely to the Gran Tourismo model of simply having a bunch of cars with a bunch of tracks, and not doing very much with it. Anything resembling real-life motorsport is kept out of it.
And what happened to the tournaments in Forza 2 (and PGR 3/4)? The daily tournaments in PGR4 were the greatest feature of the game. And remember PGR3 when online watching of races ("Gotham TV") seemed to be the future? Racing games as an active e-sport seems further away than ever...

I feel the same as you. I actually didnt buy the game as it feels just a small update over Forza 3. And I own all previous Forza and PGR games.

I actually bought F1 2011 to try something new. And for me its a big refreshment. I love the ritual of doing a race session:

Some laps around the track for practicing, tuning the car, trying different tyres, etc... Then qualification, and then finally the race.

And yes, PGR4 tournaments were amazing!!!!! How I will miss a PGR5 :(

But at the beginning of this generation we did have tournaments in racing games, and we could watch races onlines (or as replays). And we had websites where we could keep track of race results (pgrnations.com). And in a game like Dirt 1 we could play a full championship season. Why has all of this fallen by the wayside?

If I had to guess it's because it was never used enough on a widespread level to justify the cost. I too loved that stuff but I even I stopped using it after a while.

Really disappointed to hear the VIP Gifting is not a thing this time around. That absolutely kept me checking in on FM3 week after week. But I didn't get the LE this time so I can't be too broken up about it.

Is the Car Club defunct too? I asked about getting in a few days ago and never heard anything. My game should be arriving on Wednesday.

Seanspeed

Banned

I'm gonna completely disagree here.

If anything, Forza 4 is the biggest leap we've gotten in terms of physics improvements and feature accomodations. The tire modeling is so good now, the tracks dont all feel baby smooth, and the overall improvements in sense of speed, and sound, by god the sound, all combines to make the driving really feel alive in Forza 4. This has been the single greatest improvement the series has made ever since they created sequels.

And the inclusion of Rivals mode has been genius. Everybody, no matter what the skill level, can have real people to race against where they can earn XP, affinity, new cars and good money.

The biggest problem is that too many people are still flocking to the public hoppers when going online. Get off that shit, people! Find a user-created lobby and most of the time, the majority of people will have mics on, meaning the racing is cleaner and more respectable, while you can also bullshit about which are competitive and whatever else. Its the sort of community aspect that Forza 2 had that was sorely missed in Forza 3. Go into a public hopper in Forza 4 and 90% of the time, the lobby is full but almost nobody has a mic on. Spend some time in user-created lobbies and you're more likely to find good people to race with in the future. I cant state enough how much of a difference this feature makes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

If anything, Forza 4 is the biggest leap we've gotten in terms of physics improvements and feature accomodations. The tire modeling is so good now, the tracks dont all feel baby smooth, and the overall improvements in sense of speed, and sound, by god the sound, all combines to make the driving really feel alive in Forza 4. This has been the single greatest improvement the series has made ever since they created sequels.

And the inclusion of Rivals mode has been genius. Everybody, no matter what the skill level, can have real people to race against where they can earn XP, affinity, new cars and good money.

The biggest problem is that too many people are still flocking to the public hoppers when going online. Get off that shit, people! Find a user-created lobby and most of the time, the majority of people will have mics on, meaning the racing is cleaner and more respectable, while you can also bullshit about which are competitive and whatever else. Its the sort of community aspect that Forza 2 had that was sorely missed in Forza 3. Go into a public hopper in Forza 4 and 90% of the time, the lobby is full but almost nobody has a mic on. Spend some time in user-created lobbies and you're more likely to find good people to race with in the future. I cant state enough how much of a difference this feature makes.
I'm with you 100% on this, Forza 4 is a huuuuuuuuge leap. Also, best career in a sim racing game ever.

SarBear

What is this?

Seanspeed

Banned
Public matchmaking playlist.

Its a fucking portal to hell is what it is.

Imagine a world where every turn you take, every press of the throttle, every moment of braking, is interrupted by some moron with no mic crashing into you. This is the world of hoppers.

SarBear

Its a fucking portal to hell is what it is.

Imagine a world where every turn you take, every press of the throttle, every moment of braking, is interrupted by some moron with no mic crashing into you. This is the world of hoppers.

Are these the play options BEFORE you choose "User Created Races?"

Top Bottom