• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

T Ghost

An Xbox friend send me a message tonight "look at what I am playing..."

Dude is playing Forza Motorsport 4. As he is no part of the industry or press I ask WTF?

He sd that he was at the mall in São Paulo and saw the actual game box shrink wrapped at a game store's window. He got in the store and the clerk sd that he wasn't allowed to sell until Tuesday. My friend insisted the guy to sell him, offered cash as payment and no receipt, the clerk could ring the sale on Tuesday, he would not tell anyone where he got the game, blah, blah, blah. After a while the guy sold him the fricking game.

Wish gamestop clerks were that lenient here in the US as well!

zychi

Banned
T Ghost said:
An Xbox friend send me a message tonight "look at what I am playing..."

Dude is playing Forza Motorsport 4. As he is no part of the industry or press I ask WTF?

He sd that he was at the mall in São Paulo and saw the actual game box shrink wrapped at a game store's window. He got in the store and the clerk sd that he wasn't allowed to sell until Tuesday. My friend insisted the guy to sell him, offered cash as payment and no receipt, the clerk could ring the sale on Tuesday, he would not tell anyone where he got the game, blah, blah, blah. After a while the guy sold him the fricking game.

Wish gamestop clerks were that lenient here in the US as well!
Sadly theres a good chance your friends account will get banned for playing it a few days early. Had a buddy get portal 2 5 days before release and he got banned on release day.

T Ghost said:

Surprising.

I used to work in retail, and if anything like this ever happened, we'd have our ass fired straight away.

This guy must have been either really cool or he was really pressured by your mate. He'll have to go all stealth and put that sale through later, and if it's anything like my shop that's going to be really fucking hard lol.

Mascot

shinnn said:

That interview was surprisingly insightful. I'm glad somebody finally asked Dan a direct question about track DLC, but was slightly disturbed by the non-committal answer. So basically, based on previous sales, Turn 10 aren't sure if track DLC will be commercially viable. However, car packs sell and are a proven cash cow.

This is fucked up. A big factor why the Nurb F1 track in FM3 sold so poorly was because of its exclusion from career events (along with its lacklustre promotion). It was added as a clumsy bolt-on extra rather than being seamlessly intergrated into the game as a whole. If DLC tracks can be smoothly feathered into FM4 as if they had always been there (and properly marketed as such) then they will surely sell, especially if they are the circuits that the community has been pleading for (Spa, Bathurst) since the franchise started.

Fuck, I hope Dan wasn't just playing lip-service to Bruno in that interview. I really, really hope Turn 10 are giving track DLC some serious consideration. We need a campaign. We need to let Dan and Turn 10 know how strongly we feel about this.

dejay

Banned
Mascot said:
That interview was surprisingly insightful. I'm glad somebody finally asked Dan a direct question about track DLC, but was slightly disturbed by the non-committal answer. So basically, based on previous sales, Turn 10 aren't sure if track DLC will be commercially viable. However, car packs sell and are a proven cash cow.

This is fucked up. A big factor why the Nurb F1 track in FM3 sold so poorly was because of its exclusion from career events (along with its lacklustre promotion). It was added as a clumsy bolt-on extra rather than being seamlessly intergrated into the game as a whole. If DLC tracks can be smoothly feathered into FM4 as if they had always been there (and properly marketed as such) then they will surely sell, especially if they are the circuits that the community has been pleading for (Spa, Bathurst) since the franchise started.

Fuck, I hope Dan wasn't just playing lip-service to Bruno in that interview. I really, really hope Turn 10 are giving track DLC some serious consideration. We need a campaign. We need to let Dan and Turn 10 know how strongly we feel about this.

If it impacts the bottom line, it doesn't matter how strongly we feel about this. I guess they'll look at total sales and if total sale > x then they'll consider tracks. If total sales < x then they just won't bother. T10 know roughly what percentage of users buy new tracks and they know what percentage buy cars. Just what the value of x could be is anyone's guess.

Pretty sure they're gonna start working on FM5 for Xbox 720 next so I'm not sure there will be much time to dedicate to new tracks, unless they can play around with LOD to enable the tracks to be used on current and new hardware.

eek5

It's not really fair though. Track DLC didn't integrate into singleplayer at all and a lot of people didn't buy them just because of that.

zychi said:
Sadly theres a good chance your friends account will get banned for playing it a few days early. Had a buddy get portal 2 5 days before release and he got banned on release day.

Microsoft won't ban anyone who plays an official retail copy early. They have no reason to do something like that. It's not the customer's fault that retailers break the street date.

Gowans

Shaved over 2 seconds off my time on The Star In A Reasonable Priced Car Rivals challenge woo!!!

Just you left now Grom.

What's the real life leaderboard key times?

madmackem

Gowans007 said:
Shaved over 2 seconds off my time on The Star In A Reasonable Priced Car Rivals challenge woo!!!

Just you left now Grom.

What's the real life leaderboard key times?

From the show, i think 1.40ish is one of the better times.

Grassy

zychi said:

They won't ban anyone for playing a game earlier than it's release if it's a retail version, only if it's pirated.

Mascot

eek5 said:
It's not really fair though. Track DLC didn't integrate into singleplayer at all and a lot of people didn't buy them just because of that.

Exactly. I think BADNED has confirmed that DLC tracks CAN be integreated into career mode (like cars can) this time around.

Gowans

madmackem said:
From the show, i think 1.40ish is one of the better times.
They have to be online somewhere. Im sitting on a 1:48 at the mo.

There are less than a handful on the leaderboards under 1:41.

madmackem

Gowans007 said:
They have to be online somewhere. Im sitting on a 1:48 at the mo.

There are less than a handful on the leaderboards under 1:41.

Here they are, dont know how upto date it is mind. I was well off.

Jay Kay 1.45.8
Brian Johnson 1.45.9
Kevin McCloud 1.45.9
Simon Cowell 1.45.9
Jennifer Saunders 1.46.1
Michael Sheen 1.46.3
Gordon Ramsay 1.46.38
Usain Bolt 1.46.5
Peter Jones 1.46.9
Trevor Eve 1.47.09
Peter Firth 1.47.1
Lawrence Dellaglio 1.47.4
Les Ferdinand 1.47.41
Eric Bana 1.47.5
Jamie Oliver 1.47.68 (wet)
Hugh Grant 1.47.7
Well spoken man (James Hewitt) 1.47.69
Ewan McGregor 1.48.0
Rupert Penry-Jones 1.48.1
Chris Evans 1.48.1
Billie Piper 1.48.3
James Blunt 1.48.4 (wet)
Justin Hawkins 1.48.44
Simon Pegg 1.48.5
Theo Paphitis 1.48.5
Mark Wahlberg 1.48.7
Michael McIntyre 1.48.7
David Tennant 1.48.8
Jay Leno 1.48.8
Will Young 1.48.9
Sir Michael Parkinson 1.49.4
Ronnie Wood 1.49.5
Harry Enfield 1.49.7
Sienna Miller 1.49.8
Jools Holland 1.49.9
Sir Michael Gambon 1.50.3
Alan Davies 1.50.3
Steve Coogan 1.50.9 (hot)
Stephen Fry 1.51.0
Alan Carr 1.51.2
Ray Winstone 1.51.4 (hot)
Keith Allen 1.51.7 (wet)
Rob Brydon 1.51.7 (wet)
Justin Lee Collins 1.51.8
Seasick Steve 1.51.8 (wet)
Tom Jones 1.52.2
Guy Ritchie 1.52.5 (wet)
Dame Helen Mirren 1.52.8
James Corden 1.53.4 (wet)
Kristin Scott Thomas 1.54.0
Philip Glenister 1.54.3 (wet)
Kate Silverton 1.54.7 (wet)
Rick Wakeman 1.55.26
Boris Johnson 1.57.4
Fiona Bruce 1.57.4 (wet)
Brian Cox 2.01.0
Jimmy Carr 2.08.91

botlite

madmackem said:
I dont think it has this seasons times as i think Rowan Atkinson did a top lap didnt he?.

It's in the link I posted.

Cee'd leaderboard
1:42.2 – Rowan Atkinson
1:42.8 – John Bishop
1:43.5 – Ross Noble
1:44.2 – Tom Cruise
1:44.5 – Nick Frost
1:44.9 – Simon Pegg
1:45.2 – Cameron Diaz
1:45.5 – Rupert Grint
1:45.9 – Boris Becker (wet)
1:45.9 – Peter Jones
1:46.1 – Andy García
1:47.0 – Alastair Campbell
1:47.7 – Louis Walsh
1:47.8 – Danny Boyle (wet)
1:48.1 – Al Murray
1:48.1 – Bob Geldof
1:49.0 – Jeff Goldblum[31]
1:49.0 – Jonathan Ross (wet)
1:49.9 – Peta Todd[32] (damp)
1:49.9 – Nick Robinson
1:50.3 – Amber Heard (automatic)
1:50.8 – Bill Bailey[33] (wet)
1:50.9 – Amy Williams (wet)
1:53.3 – Johnny Vaughan (wet)
1:53.7 – Louie Spence (wet)
1:56.3 – Alice Cooper (wet) (automatic)
1.56.7 – John Prescott (wet) (automatic)

madmackem

botlite said:
It's in the link I posted.

Cee'd leaderboard
1:42.2 – Rowan Atkinson
1:42.8 – John Bishop
1:43.5 – Ross Noble
1:44.2 – Tom Cruise
1:44.5 – Nick Frost
1:44.9 – Simon Pegg
1:45.2 – Cameron Diaz
1:45.5 – Rupert Grint
1:45.9 – Boris Becker (wet)
1:45.9 – Peter Jones
1:46.1 – Andy García
1:47.0 – Alastair Campbell
1:47.7 – Louis Walsh
1:47.8 – Danny Boyle (wet)
1:48.1 – Al Murray
1:48.1 – Bob Geldof
1:49.0 – Jeff Goldblum[31]
1:49.0 – Jonathan Ross (wet)
1:49.9 – Peta Todd[32] (damp)
1:49.9 – Nick Robinson
1:50.3 – Amber Heard (automatic)
1:50.8 – Bill Bailey[33] (wet)
1:50.9 – Amy Williams (wet)
1:53.3 – Johnny Vaughan (wet)
1:53.7 – Louie Spence (wet)
1:56.3 – Alice Cooper (wet) (automatic)
1.56.7 – John Prescott (wet) (automatic)

Yeah i was talking about my post before yours.

dejay

Banned
eek5 said:

True - I think I drove on the Nurburgring GP track maybe three times. It doesn't help I find the track a bit meh. They should release a few new tracks in a pack along with a mini campaign with it's own achievements, but I'm not sure many people would actually buy it even then.

Mascot said:
Exactly. I think BADNED has confirmed that DLC tracks CAN be integreated into career mode (like cars can) this time around.

Good if true and I'm hoping they actually have a track or two almost ready to release, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Reprise

Neo Member
I'd like to join the GAF club, if there's room for me!

I just don't have access to internet atm, waiting on a new wireless adaptor since my old one carked it.

My gamer tag is "primord", cheers. :)

Reprise said:
I'd like to join the GAF club, if there's room for me!

I just don't have access to internet atm, waiting on a new wireless adaptor since my old one carked it.

My gamer tag is "primord", cheers. :)
Can I join GAFclub? I promise not to talk about GAFclub...

GT = REW138

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Too bad we can't paint windows, could have made some funny stuff.

noriyaro_hellaflush_fuji_speedway_029.jpg

Modus, does the list of favorites on the storefront also import from the FM3 save or do we have to do it again?

Eric WK

zychi said:

That does not happen.

Megasoum

Banned
Megasoum said:
So, can someone with the retail confirm or deny that there is still indeed Endurance races??

I hate to keep bumping this but I still can't find a definitive answer about that anywhere. With so many people having the full game already around here I'm sure somebody could answer that.

Megasoum said:
I hate to keep bumping this but I still can't find a definitive answer about that anywhere. With so many people having the full game already around here I'm sure somebody could answer that.
AMUSIX answered a couple of pages back - no endurance races.

Mascot said:

I think he's being straightforward.

I don't think sales of track DLC has anything to do with integration in the game. Hell, the cars don't integrate either! People will buy the new car packs because they look at them and think they're cool, or maybe they think they'll get a competitive advantage or whatever. You need to be a serious enthusiast to say "Whooo! Road America! Fuck yeah!". Nobody knows what that is. You look at screenshots, and it looks like any other track.

IMO, there are only three real world tracks that could sell with enough promotion - Spa, Monaco, and maybe Bathurst. People already know these tracks, or at least are familiar with their names.

I actually think a fictional track might be a better sell. If Bernese Alps was DLC, it's got plenty of eye popping good looks to get people interested. It's no Motegi, that's for sure.

The cost of creating a new environment is probably so high. You'd either have to create it during production of the retail game, or accept it as a loss and call it the cost of doing business.

Turn 10 should consider making December's car pack 5 cars instead of 10 and include a track. Bundle it with some sweet rides and people will buy it.

Can't say I'll miss the endurance races.

Much as I love them in real life, they were never very interesting in Forza with its limited pit functionality and the AI drivers' lack of pace.

yeah the endurance races were essentially lap grinding. i hated them going all the way back to the original GT.

I am sure you can set up lobbies with as many laps as you like....

Seanspeed

Banned
AlanzTalon said:
yeah the endurance races were essentially lap grinding. i hated them going all the way back to the original GT.

I am sure you can set up lobbies with as many laps as you like....
Yup. Those with Gold will be able to setup endurance races still and the options list means you can probably setup better ones than you'd normally find in a Career mode, although that isn't saying much.

Tire wear doesn't seem to be vary much between setups and cars(and even tires). Pitstops aren't done in any meaningful way at all. And how many people other than a few actually pick a car that wont be leading by 10 seconds within 5 laps anyways? Most people aren't gonna spend an hour of their time only to come in 2nd place. So they pick a car they know will win and they spend the entire time running out front on their own.

Top Bottom