• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Thinking I might use my blasphemous GT500 for the Mustang/Camaro race. Nothing like swapping the V8 with the screaming RS200 turbo 4 banger. The stock tachometer can't even hit the redline of that engine and it just sounds so wrong to hear that whine coming out of a GT500.

SarBear

I was just messing around with the Supra. Here's some random pics.

6468357257_44980618cd_b.jpg

6468357161_009a3c0986_b.jpg

6468357061_401620bdf3_b.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Thinking I might use my blasphemous GT500 for the Mustang/Camaro race. Nothing like swapping the V8 with the screaming RS200 turbo 4 banger. The stock tachometer can't even hit the redline of that engine and it just sounds so wrong to hear that whine coming out of a GT500.

is... that really an option? i cant find it. would love to give it a go

op_ivy

i dont get the acceleration and launch stat.

i have a car that is .2 less in acceleration and .3 less in launch then a comparable one, yet it benchmarks with faster acceleration times from 0-60 (~.2 sec) and 0-100 (~.1 sec). what gives?

Iknos

Yes, it is.

What baffles me is how almost no discussion has been put into it here, despite how it is the single most important thing that have happened to the Forza series in its history.
Maybe everyone moved onto other games or like me were too busy. Or like me had little hope lol.

Cars are now a joy to drive and scary to race like it should be.

Now I don't think the physics have changed at all but I could be wrong. Has T10 said anything about tweaked physics? Feels like the same sort of stuff except without assists.

I love it. This changes everything. Tuning especially.

Thanks a lot guys I'm really pleased to know that you like the latest paints. It was long 54 hours for me and I wanted to do anything to get as many paints ready for today for you guys as I possible could. I had some sleep last night (whole 3 hours lol) and I feel much better today and it looks like those hours didn't go to waste. Maybe I'll make some more paints for the DLC, not sure which cars yet but I'll let you know, once I figure that out.

I hope you don't mind posting me some pictures from my photographer IAmHookEm...

6467897309_15fc8df014_z.jpg

6467898467_a2c6be9796_z.jpg

6467898027_d84e4e1507_z.jpg

6467897499_e1b6e180bf_z.jpg

6467348651_5d70052ea3_z.jpg

6467351085_66f219aba9_z.jpg

6467349433_22a7309ce0_z.jpg

6467347679_23c912823c_z.jpg

6465293029_d525240091_z.jpg

6465291525_8021548d2a_z.jpg

6465292685_c4a3081512_z.jpg

6465292929_6e48644cd2_z.jpg

op_ivy

Maybe everyone moved onto other games or like me were too busy. Or like me had little hope lol.

Now I don't think the physics have changed at all but I could be wrong. Has T10 said anything about tweaked physics? Feels like the same sort of stuff except without assists.

i dont think it effects a ton of us. i use the ms wheel, and many here use the pad or speed wheel. glad that the 900 degree functionality is great now though, as i'd love to upgrade my wheel soonish

sneaky77

The wheel change makes a world of difference, although I never been ultra sim and this is my first wheel so is hard to really for me to do an indepth look at it lol.
I mostly just been slammed lately

Ugh, they need to fix the servers. This is ridiculous this far after launch, come on guys. I just did a really decent lap on the Kaido event (and clean too!) and it didn't freakin save my time.

For the new page:

monsterhillclimboh2ob.png

Anyone??? I will give out a nice prize for anyone willing to give us a nice ForzaGAF livery...
Also, would anyone with talent be willing to work on a fairly basic but nice livery for our Mazda races? SarBear and I are going to make that one a staple for a while and we thought having a legit racing livery for it would be cool. Something that could be gifted unlocked so we can add our number and maybe some small individual flair. If you would like to do it, let us know. I will even try to throw in a nice prize for whoever does it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I dont think a lot of people felt it was as 'game-breaking' as you did.

Also:

I cant for the life of me find a good Mustang or Camaro for S-class. Nothing turns out remotely driveable with that much power. People talk about Kaido being a crash-fest, but I think this one could be equally bad. Taking cars that are already hard-to-handle and telling us to fit 6 or 700 hundred horsepower to them is asking for disaster.

I'm not complaining, cuz I'll manage. But just a warning - this will not end well for many.

op_ivy

Also:

I cant for the life of me find a good Mustang or Camaro for S-class. Nothing turns out remotely driveable with that much power. People talk about Kaido being a crash-fest, but I think this one could be equally bad. Taking cars that are already hard-to-handle and telling us to fit 6 or 700 hundred horsepower to them is asking for disaster.

I'm not complaining, cuz I'll manage. But just a warning - this will not end well for many.

i'm actually surprised they handle as well as they do, even the 5.0 is tearing up the tarmac!

in other news, i just bought the ferrari 250 GTO. i feel like a PIMP

Seanspeed

Banned
What's this I hear about EA's Porsche license being up for renewal this month? Can someone take a look?

Doesn't matter. Forza 4 isn't gonna get any massive sales boost by introducing Porsche back into the game. Turn 10 would get very little out of making a deal with them at this point.

If Porsche comes back at all, it wont be til Forza 5.

i'm actually surprised they handle as well as they do, even the 5.0 is tearing up the tarmac!
Haven't tried the 5.0 yet.

But it seems most any of the Mustangs and Camaros take quite a bit of power upgrades to get to S700. Fit full handling upgrades across the board and you still need more PI which can only come with power. Which means about 600 to 700hp, which makes things difficult for everything I've driven so far.

SarBear

Also:

Oh, stop it. Mr I lead the club with points.

eek5

What's this I hear about EA's Porsche license being up for renewal this month? Can someone take a look?

The last time this happened, they signed another agreement with EA for multiple years didn't they? They seem to be pretty content with the money they're getting. I wouldn't get my hopes up, if it even is up for renewal.

nagge

Does anyone know if the building in the background of the BMW M5 theme is modeled after a real building, and if so, what is it?
p2VwE.jpg

Yep, BMW Welt in Munich.

Two of my contenders. I did a 2000GT too, but just noticed the year restrictions on race #3. I've got another car in mind though.

Cobra R pic[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QNxvVl.jpg[/IMG.][/QUOTE]

We've got the same idea for the stang/camaro race :)
Although there are so many different ones that I have yet to try.

Haven't bothered with a b-class car yet...

Iknos

Thats what I thought. Until I read the Fanatec forums and heard that people were complaining about it on facebook too. T10 listened and that's all that matters.

For me it wasn't as much game breaking as it was the disappointment of being mislead. I was still intending to play FM4 as I still had a lot of fun with FM3 even with assists. The underlying physics are still incredIble and the car and track selection is great.

With the assists still on in "simulation" the career felt like a fun Sunday drive where it was easy to recuperate from bad situations. AI was no challenge. Last night on the other hand was a white knuckle experience where one slight mistake meant a poor finish. I don't rewind and thus far I never restarted a race but last night I restarted multiple times.

Pre-patch I got away with upgrading my cars speed and acceleration but paying little mind to braking and cornering. And never tuned to make sure the car was stable at high speeds. That's because the assists made it easy to catch your car if it ran into trouble. This made it easy to beat the AI. Now I pay way more attention to tunes and parts to ensure that the car stays stable and manageable because correcting mistakes is much more realistic this time. This eats up performance index pts so my car isn't a rocket compared to the competition.

So yeah this affects everything in a very good way. I wasn't going to right off FM4 fully i was still goin to play it but I can't overstate how awesome the experience is now.

Now when you buy a $400 wheel for Forza you a getting your money's worth and a great experience that feels more like driving than ever before in the series brcause now you have full control.

Btw I am posting frim my phone in bed i should be sleeping right now I got work in a few hours. Can't stop thinking about this game though. I need to get my hands on the Fiero too lol.

Donut I need to add you to my Forza favorite list what is your GT? I can appreciate all the fancy liveries out there but I prefer your no nonsense racing liveries to that artsy stuff.

erahk64

Thats what I thought. Until I read the Fanatec forums and heard that people were complaining about it on facebook too. T10 listened and that's all that matters.

For me it wasn't as much game breaking as it was the disappointment of being mislead. I was still intending to play FM4 as I still had a lot of fun with FM3 even with assists. The underlying physics are still incredIble and the car and track selection is great.

With the assists still on in "simulation" the career felt like a fun Sunday drive where it was easy to recuperate from bad situations. AI was no challenge. Last night on the other hand was a white knuckle experience where one slight mistake meant a poor finish. I don't rewind and thus far I never restarted a race but last night I restarted multiple times.

Pre-patch I got away with upgrading my cars speed and acceleration but paying little mind to braking and cornering. And never tuned to make sure the car was stable at high speeds. That's because the assists made it easy to catch your car if it ran into trouble. This made it easy to beat the AI. Now I pay way more attention to tunes and parts to ensure that the car stays stable and manageable because correcting mistakes is much more realistic this time. This eats up performance index pts so my car isn't a rocket compared to the competition.

So yeah this affects everything in a very good way. I wasn't going to right off FM4 fully i was still goin to play it but I can't overstate how awesome the experience is now.

Now when you buy a $400 wheel for Forza you a getting your money's worth and a great experience that feels more like driving than ever before in the series brcause now you have full control.

Btw I am posting frim my phone in bed i should be sleeping right now I got work in a few hours. Can't stop thinking about this game though. I need to get my hands on the Fiero too lol.

Donut I need to add you to my Forza favorite list what is your GT? I can appreciate all the fancy liveries out there but I prefer your no nonsense racing liveries to that artsy stuff.

The 900 degree steering is still not linear according to some guys in different forums, see link below for an example.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/permalink/5036167/5036477/ShowThread.aspx#5036477

Have you noticed this or do you think the steering is linear ?

amar212

The 900 degree steering is still not linear according to some guys in different forums, see link below for an example.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/permalink/5036167/5036477/ShowThread.aspx#5036477

Have you noticed this or do you think the steering is linear ?

Those guys are right, I spoke about it yesterday in my post, but I used non-direct words in order to avoid accusations of trolling.

New Simulation model is now free of assists and it is great thing for the Forza series, but linearity is still the main problem. On-screen graph of the wheel still displays the main problem, where linearity is *progressive* depending of the input: once you "cross" some magic point in steering-degree, linearity jumps as crazy and grip goes into void.

What I personally think - and I spent few hours yesterday in testing various cars on different tracks with all settings imaginable - is that they just turned-off the steering-buffer in Simulation mode but made no real adjustment at all regarding 900-degree input and linearity. I think they just retained the same 1:3 ratio-divider in order to artificially maintain 900-degree steering-curve, but that linearity-buffer is still in place because of the fact how actual steering model is not being made to have real 1:1 linearity in place and that it just can't be done without some serious revamp of the actual input-model and it's transfer to physics-model.

Another thing I found is how setting the "Outer Deadzone" in Advanced Wheel Settings does additional reducing of the input degree but linearity-curve jumps to crazy then.

In short, while updates made to Simulation steering are very good and important to the Forza, many things are left to be done in order to make it 100% accurate, especially when you drive in 900-mode. I really hope it will be done soon - if not, I will really start to wonder does anyone at T10 even have a slightest idea about real cause problems that 900-drivers are facing.

For those that are not getting December DLC there is also a piece of Monster Sport action, replica of 2010 Suzuki SX4 Rallycross (I think it's Rallycross) Tajima's car, enjoy. The car is cheap, so give it a go, it really looks great in the game and it will be perfect for autocross events ;) The car will need a build to look the way it should, all Suzuki body parts have to be installed.

Cheers, HD

6470616177_fa26f99522_z.jpg

6470616167_e7c97293b8_z.jpg

6470616175_56fc24a9ac_z.jpg

Ohh and tomorrow, another paint :D

As for my gamertag, my Gaf name is my gamertag :)

Mascot

WHOAH! Fuck you, Microsoft!
(I'll cut Turn 10 some slack on this and assume it's not their decision).

Charging MORE than the other cars for the DLC Maserati?
Making it IMPOSSIBLE to buy the Suzuki on its own?

Fuck, fuck, FUCK you.

We accept the fact that you hold cars back from the retail game (even though they are probably already finished and ready to ship on the disc) to farm cash from us in monthly subscriptions. We accept this because we are fucking idiots.

But charging more for certain cars and forcing people to buy the whole pack if they want another particular car?

FUCK. YOU.

Sorry I haven't been around much. I made you guys a number plate for your racing series though. Resize to 0.23 after loading vinyl group. I only have shortt on my friend's list so I gifted it to him and he can gift it to everyone racing.

gaf_numberplate.png

Sweet. Will use. Thanks.

Seanspeed

Banned
I wasn't going to right off FM4 fully i was still goin to play it but I can't overstate how awesome the experience is now.

Apparently, you can go back to not having fun again:

Those guys are right, I spoke about it yesterday in my post, but I used non-direct words in order to avoid accusations of trolling.

New Simulation model is now free of assists and it is great thing for the Forza series, but linearity is still the main problem. On-screen graph of the wheel still displays the main problem, where linearity is *progressive* depending of the input: once you "cross" some magic point in steering-degree, linearity jumps as crazy and grip goes into void.

What I personally think - and I spent few hours yesterday in testing various cars on different tracks with all settings imaginable - is that they just turned-off the steering-buffer in Simulation mode but made no real adjustment at all regarding 900-degree input and linearity. I think they just retained the same 1:3 ratio-divider in order to artificially maintain 900-degree steering-curve, but that linearity-buffer is still in place because of the fact how actual steering model is not being made to have real 1:1 linearity in place and that it just can't be done without some serious revamp of the actual physics-model.

Another thing I found is how setting the "Outer Deadzone" in Advanced Wheel Settings does additional reducing of the input degree but linearity-curve jumps to crazy then.

In short, while updates made to Simulation steering are very good and important to the Forza, many things are left to be done in order to make it 100% accurate, especially when you drive in 900-mode. I really hope it will be done soon - if not, I will really start to wonder does anyone at T10 even have a slightest idea about real cause problems that 900-drivers are facing.

You just said that you think fixing the problem would take a 'serious revamp of the actual physics-model'. Why would you expect that to get fixed?

amar212

You just said that you think fixing the problem would take a 'serious revamp of the actual physics-model'. Why would you expect that to get fixed?

My mistake in wording, sorry. I should have said "serious revamp of the actual input-model and it's transfer to physics-model".

I will edit my original post because of the clarity of wording, thanks for pointing that out.

*Problem* is linearity which is still obviously tied to input-mapping (I do not know how to explain it with some other words, english is not my native language, but I guess how meaning is understandable) made for controllers, not for wheels. And even the game allows you to choose wheel as an input method, that "input-model" still does not take into account that you opted for 900-steering nor that you drive with the wheel which allows for 1:1 linearity. That is why I think it would need an overall revamp.

With anti-spin-assists now removed it somehow have become even greater issue than before the patch. I guess Yoritomo will find a way to explain in better once he gets onto the subject.

Also, please do not take my overview as an attack - I absolutely welcome this patch and what it does, because it showcase how there is awareness about the issue. However, I still think how there is further room for improvement, since all issues have not been solved for all of us who drive on 900-wheels.

G Rom

The main problem seems to be related to no true 900 degrees. Could it be another limitation of XID ?

Anyway, nobody answered me about the exact FK layout used for the rival event. Is it the full circuit normal/reverse or the old/new hill climb ?

Is the December IGN Pack part of the Season Pass? On the website it's still trying to charge me. Do I have to DL it through the game like last months?

op_ivy

WHOAH! Fuck you, Microsoft!
(I'll cut Turn 10 some slack on this and assume it's not their decision).

Fuck, fuck, FUCK you.

We accept the fact that you hold cars back from the retail game (even though they are probably already finished and ready to ship on the disc) to farm cash from us in monthly subscriptions. We accept this because we are fucking idiots.

But charging more for certain cars and forcing people to buy the whole pack if they want another particular car?

FUCK. YOU.

i posted similar statements on the previous page. its a pretty shitty way to try and take advantage of your users IMO. i didnt get quite as angry though, simply because DLC cars are not a huge attraction to me - but fuck did i want that suzuki!

DasRaven

Aren't you 2 DLC packs late for this rant? Both the American Muscle and November packs were structured the same way. Their content, their rules, their prices.

Top Bottom