• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

Yoritomo

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share one announcement: tomorrow at 17:00 CET I'll be launching an Fanatec CSR Elite |OT|, covering my past 6 weeks of testing the CSRE with all driving games available on both console platforms.

Special part of review covers Forza 4 and vast improvement made in both handling-sensation and FFB-effect implementation post-patch and with latest 715FW firmware I got 2 days ago.

For now I will conclude how 715FW drastically improves all issues I had and discussed earlier this week and sheds a whole new light onto latest FM4 patch, FFB implementation, tire-model and overall handling.

For those interested, I'll make a separate info here once the |OT| is launched.

Regards.

I'm interested to know if a similar firmware is coming out for the other 360 compatible wheels.

Sorry I didn't chime in with my patch impressions earlier but I've been ridiculously busy... and well banned heh.

Post patch feels the same as pre patch really except you need to dial in a shit load of counter steer to correct oversteer, which is as it should be. The problem is that the easy to correct oversteer masked the ridiculous sensitivity around the center. So now post patch you realize just how much you were having to wrestle the car, even if it was very fast light wrestling. This would all be well and good if the linearity setting on the fanatec wheels didn't just about completely eliminate the force feedback. Linearity 20 or 30 seems to be about right but makes every car feel like an american luxo barge around the center.

So I'll be interested to know how the new firmware might fix this, but your impressions look promising. I've only played a couple of hours post patch so I can't give many more impressions. The problem now is that I feel like I might as wait until this magical firmware is released for the rest of the Fanatec wheels. Now on that note, within 3 laps of not playing for a month I managed to get a 2:26 on the senna challenge with simulation steering and linearity at 30. The patch forces even cleaner driving, the problem is that it's really difficult to not get crossed up when trail braking at the limit with simulation steering and 900 degree sensitivity. Prior to this patch it was easy to correct very quickly, now... not so much. Today I learned that all those moments when I thought I had achieved perfect neutral oversteer through a corner, were not neutral, it was just masked by some really really high sensitivity while counter steering.

SarBear

Someone is taking photos without 1:1 pixels indeed. :p
Looks like (I'm on the iPhone) a nice shot though, wish I could post more myself and try to enter some comp too.

Bro, how the fuck did you know this? I accidentally hit the "stretch" function on my remote and it's probably been that way for a couple weeks (I was calibrating). I just hit dot by dot and everything fucking changed. EVERYTHING. -__-

nagge

The servers for this game are absolute shit.

F-.

Ye they are hopeless, I just pray anytime I set a lap record or beat a rival, that the servers won't be down when saving the time...

Seems that the '00 Cobra is the car of choice, I might have to give another car a go just to mix it up :)

MJLord

fun rounds of tag this afternoon, thanks to everybody who tagged along! :)

aha ! I got in just as It was all over :(

I did however get some cars together for tonights races, this does mean that you can put me on a yes now :)

Also can anyone give me the neogaf number decal ? I'd really like to use it on my cars, my paint skills are awful.

p3tran

Banned
I made the car for the fujimi mayhem

getphotoawlr2.jpg

now I only have to make it to the appointment... :)

nagge

When do plan to put the lobby up sarbear? Would be great with some practice together with real people before the event.

SarBear

retro, you son of a bitch that caught me off guard! LOL

Nagge, room will be up in about 25 mins. Gonna relieve the stress-pee and grab some hot chocolate.

Muerte_X

Can someone send me an invite when the lobby is up please? I only have Short Sirkett on my friends list, and I remember him saying he wasn't sure he was going to make it.

Thanks!

Edit:

Gamertag is Muerte X (with a space)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
heading into the corckscrew, lap 1..... and my xbox crashes and red rings!!! fuck!

Gek54

lttp, I just now got a taste of the steering patch for simulation steering and holy crap, as far as I can tell so far, Turn 10 redeemed. Driving is actually enjoyable now.

sneaky77

you would think that there is less people playing now and should stabilize but nooo... I hope the next xbox has a full gig network port.. that would probably help with the peer to peer system

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i got dropped. what a waste of an afternoon, is this how it usually is? absolutely terrible turn10.

p3tran

Banned
We had some problems syncing up. On the other hand, full grid of players from all over europe and usa.
Once the race started, no problems.
But apparently my skyrim skills have made my forza skills rusty...
Both my cars where underpowered and too grippy for their own good, and the s700 mustang I just downloaded from seanspeed. Sean, I think I bumped into you two times. Sorry man, and also sorry if I bumped anybody else too 8)
Good races

sneaky77

it was fun once it got going.. I didnt expect to race the miata race but it was fun, my kaido car handled well.. but didn't have enough power I guess.. oh well we had a nice little 3 car group battling the the last 3 positions at the end.

SarBear

Thanks so much guys for racing! I apologize for the server issues, although not my fault. Still, we would have been done like an hour ago. Thanks for racing hard!

Seanspeed, my bad bro for taking you out on Laguna Seca. I thought I put enough pressure on my left trigger to brake and (obviously) I didnt. Please, no death threats. :(

As for that practice at Nurburgring.....God, you guys have been watching my "How to race like Dead Poul" tape too much. LMAO

Race results this evening. New events posting on Tuesday.

nagge

Had some great races, unfortunately I found myself playing catch up (once again) on the Nürburgring event after the first corner mayhem, would have loved to battle for the lead. but I made some mistakes when pushing a bit too hard.

Fujido was as crazy as predicted, but once the field spread out a bit I found myself stuck on the bumper of crude. I'd catch him on the straights but he's a hell of a blocker and didn't let me get by, was so close at the end but a third was all I managed.

Great races everyone, looking forward to what next week has to offer :)
Let's just hope the servers stop acting up...

Seanspeed

Banned
Sean, I think I bumped into you two times. Sorry man

Seanspeed, my bad bro for taking you out on Laguna Seca. I thought I put enough pressure on my left trigger to brake and (obviously) I didnt. Please, no death threats. :(
Its cool. I was hit by a lot of people through all the races. :( Did my damndest to finish where I did in each race.

Had some good fights with Big Takeover and P3tran, though. A lot happened. Gonna need to go and watch the replays to really check it all out.

gragy10

Grrr.
When we were racing that was great but fuck those servers - getting dumped out of the Fujimi game after settling in and getting a nice rhythm going was fucking enraging.
(tho the game of IT was a genius way of destressing!)

SarBear

Wait, did Sarbear take all three events?!

Wow, solid driving man :)

I tried. Was pure luck on Nurburgring GP. Mr Camaro was too hot around the corners and i just chipped away at it. If he stayed steady there's no way I would have caught him.

That Fujimi event was just zone-ness again.

zorbsie

Good races guys. It was really nice to see a full grid on the track. A shame about the server issues though. 3 races took us 2.5 hours. I've got all the replays, do we want them uploaded on youtube again?

gragy10

Good races guys. It was really nice to see a full grid on the track. A shame about the server issues though. 3 races took us 2.5 hours. I've got all the replays, do we want them uploaded on youtube again?

Had a wicked time racing with you and Luckie at Nurburguring. Safe to say the pad almost went across the room when I choked sat the end lol

That would be awesome if you could. Since I couldn't race, I would love to be able to watch them.

SarBear

Absolutely. If you have the time, that is.

Muerte_X

Those were some awesome races. Turns out I get too nervous around other drivers because I don't want to hit them. I'll probably start to be a bit more aggressive in the future, but I think I did fairly well for my first time racing with other non AI drivers.

I probably could've done better in the Miata race, but was screwing up turns that I usually do well on, oh well.

I'm surprised I held onto first for as long as I did, or even at all in that Camaro/Mustang race. I need to be more consistent with my laps though.

The fujimi race was pretty bad, I think I cut off at least one person pretty good later on, but I got wrecked pretty bad early on and was spun around a couple times. Oh well, it was fun though.

It was good times though, thanks for the club invite! Tons of cool shared cars to play with. Looking forward to doing this again next week, or whenever we do it.

Edit:

Some of your guys' rivals times are pretty insane. I went from being pretty much at the top of my friends list to being a few seconds slower than the top guys. That'll keep me busy though!

Top Bottom