• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

nagge

I managed a 2:09.8 on a pretty good lap.

Rotavelle's done a 2:08.9 however.

Woah...9.8 I think I can come down to, but 8.9, wow, that will need some training which I don't really have time with, exams in two weeks.

Just did a few quick laps with a 10.3 as the best clean lap.

trinest

Alright got the game today, played the first race.

It seems fresh enough for me to enjoy it- and the TopGear stuff is awesome.

Someone add me to the neogaf car community? (gamer tag is trinest)

Looking at the time you've already set on Barcelona, I'd say you're at least 1+ second faster than me.

You're probably gonna steamroll us.

Hotlapping is one thing, and racing is...well, you've got pressure from other racers, leading to possible acute pressuritis: sudden lapses in judging distance, lack of awareness of speed, twitchy steering syndrome, occasional lapses in track memorization, ill-timed nose itches, gears that suddenly don't seem to work right, and breaking point cues that mysteriously go missing.

That's my experience at least. BUT, that's why it's fun, never know what to expect!

Woah...9.8 I think I can come down to, but 8.9, wow, that will need some training which I don't really have time with, exams in two weeks.

Just did a few quick laps with a 10.3 as the best clean lap.

Oh I'm sure you could indeed. Wonder how much comes down to tuning too. I'm no expert at it, but sometimes I get lucky.

I'd swap tunes with you or Seanspeed, just out of curiosity and for the sake of sciene, to see what's what... Or, is that not kosher pre-race?

Anyway, had fun trading places with you on Rivals so far, hope to see more of it. I still have a lot of them to get to...

SarBear

Oh I'm sure you could indeed. Wonder how much comes down to tuning too. I'm no expert at it, but sometimes I get lucky.

I'd swap tunes with you or Seanspeed, just out of curiosity and for the sake of sciene, to see what's what... Or, is that not kosher pre-race?

Anyway, had fun trading places with you on Rivals so far, hope to see more of it. I still have a lot of them to get to...

It's perfectly fine.

BearChair

I hope somewhere here can help me.

While my wife and I have been visting my parents, I have been playing Forza 4, especially online.

I started principally running in B-class races online, but I was generally towards the back of the pack so I moved to E-class with the hope I could keep up more. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem.

I have four cars that I use for racing in the E-class: a Miata, an Abarth 131, Lotus Elan and Honda Fit. I quicktuned them all to be the best the class would allow (275?). Still when I am racing in any of these cars, other drivers are literally driving around my on the straights. I have the throttle pinned, but the field is blowing past me.

I run clean laps, and I am using the wireless steering wheel that has been promoted with the game.

What am I doing wrong, is there something in the tuning that I have screwed up? Should I not stick with quicktune and instead tune each car individually.

I am level 43 in career mode and have a problem where I regularly finish first against the AI, even with ABS on and Normal steering, but I can barely do better than last when racing online.

Tips would be appreciated.

Honestly, the online people are just really good at times. I kick ass in career, but it is nothing compared to online. Plus there are some cars that are just not competitive in certain classes.

Also, don't use the auto tune. It uses some stupid upgrades. Find some good guides about tuning and really learn what the parts do and what fits your style best. You can also buy some really good tunes on the Storefront. If you don't see many tunes for your car/class, then it is probably not a competive choice.

SarBear

(repost)
6582805713_5c2ebb988a_z.jpg

This Sunday, January 1st (LOL, WUT?), GAF Racing Club is eager to extend a competitive race outing to all those affiliated with our club! Please join us at 2:30pm EST (do your conversions!) for tire-screeching, insane speeds, bad choices, unbelievable passes, sexual advances, unicorn bragging, and perfectly executed intentional crashes from your favorite forum members! This is the fourth week of our racing league, so continue the awesome support, GAF!

RULES:

• No glitched cars. Ever.
  • Minimum 10 players per event type for prizes.
  • Damage for main race types will be Cosmetic and Collisions will be on.
  • 1 Lap run around BEFORE event type on said course, strictly for stretching your legs.
  • GRID WILL BE RANDOM (there's no complaint box, so deal with it)
  • You don't HAVE to do all three events, but it's up to you to keep us informed of what you want to participate in.

Also...
2. – Race League racers should, whenever possible, race “clean”.
.....2.a. Car position relative to others on the track is not always clear. Mid-race .....discussion over xbox live should be used primarily to communicate position and .....passing intents by drivers to avoid collisions.
.....2.b. Attempts at passing should only be made when it is safe to do so.
.....2.c. If being passed, make attempts to avoid collisions whenever possible.
.....2.d. Careless passing that results in significant collisions will be identified post race .....with either time penalties incurred for the offending driver, or with that driver being .....disqualified for that event. Penalty specifics are open for discussion, and .....cases will be looked at via replay on a case by case basis by volunteer bystanders.
.....2.e. Non-significant collisions, or trading paint, is frowned upon, but usually will not .....result in specific penalties.
.....2.f. All drivers should drive cautiously and thoughtfully to avoid collisions. If minor .....collisions occur and it leads to a change in driver position, attempts may be made .....by the offender to allow the passed car back into its pre-collision position.
.....2.g. All racers should save a replay after each race in case review of infractions is .....necessary.
.....2.h. Cars should make all attempts to stay on the track at all time. "Shortcuts" are .....frowned upon and may result in time penalties or race disqualifications.

EVENT TYPES (2):

Catalunya....the salad dressing? - Slapped with a bad case of "Where's Waldo" wardrobe, we're back in action at the famous Spanish circuit. Decisions, decisions....speed, or acceleration? Tough choice to make for you guys, especially in a Miata! Better bring your gatorade, gentelmen, because this race is going to be only part ONE of our lengthy double fisting.

Track
  • Circuit de Catalunya (Grand Prix Circuit) - 13 Laps
Restrictions
  • 1994 1st Gen Mazda Miata
  • Class - C 425
  • Roll Cage Required (individual PI restrictions for non-compliance)
  • Must use GAF livery (will gift, just ask for it)
  • Must have visible race number

The Green Hell - An absolute nightmare of a course to drive, wouldn't you say? Good thing there's time to practice. Switch gears into one of the world's most popular Supercars as you sprint, tackle, and pray for forgiveness along the infamous Nurburgring Nordschleife. Part two of our bedroom endurance promises to give you an experience you'll never forget.....and never want to entertain again. /hardcoretroll

Track
  • Nurburgring Nordschliefe (full circuit) - 5 Laps
Restrictions
  • Class - R2 875
  • Car type - Supercar (no exceptions)
  • Mandatory Pit Stop on beginning of Lap 4

PRIZES

Winners: 1st, 2nd, 3rd place overall in day's events
Prize: Unicorn of choice

BONUS!:

TBD

Players (Miata Number):

Sarbear (3)
Shortt Sirket (25)
Ox Nagge (33)
Rotavelle (12)
Zorbsie (31)
Soundscream (13)
Archer33 (1)
Muerte X (8)
Granholme (27)
Seanspeed (21)
MJLord (93)
The Japanator (maybe)

Reserve:

CrudeDiatribe (7)
retroBrand (17)
P3Tran
The Stig (00)
Big Takeover (77)
cjelly (28)
LiquidSnake
flyinpiranha
Guest 1321 (18)
G Rom (34)
Benjamin Birdie
op_ivy
Sneaky77
Mr Nightman (88) (nope 1/1/12)
Union 0015 (15) (nope)

Current standings always available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ancn9aXDWX-ldGt1eThhdEhMWFEtc2hXY0RDQlJwTnc#gid=0

You're in reserve until you confirm. :)
If you need an invite, please let us know.
If you have a pitiful number of posts, you will be put on reserve until day before racing begins.
If I get a ton of players that actually promise to show up (25 or more)...two rooms/random drawing

nagge

Ditched my miata tune that I've used since the first race at Motegi and what a difference it made :)

And the R2 race at Nordschleife will be so intense, just hot lapping that track alone is nerve wrecking with these cars.

Ditched my miata tune that I've used since the first race at Motegi and what a difference it made :)

And the R2 race at Nordschleife will be so intense, just hot lapping that track alone is nerve wrecking with these cars.

Wow, nice catalunya time! You've worked some magic. 8.4...hmm, I'll have to see if I can tweak any more time out of my miata tomorrow.

And you're dangerously close to sub 7 minute time on Nurburgring! I don't think I can keep up that pace on race day.

nagge

And you're dangerously close to sub 7 minute time on Nurburgring! I don't think I can keep up that pace on race day.

Hehe, I sat staring at the timer the whole straight hoping to get a sub-7min lap time. It's not a track that lends itself to hot lapping really, sub-7min is well within the cars limits, having the patience to set a clean lap is not really within my limits though ;)

I don't think I will keep that pace come race day either, I'm too cautious when racing with people around me.

trinest

I love having various levels of e30 m3s. Its crazy to see how well it preforms on some levels and lap combinations. On a level a (can't reme er the level) ended up lapping pretty much the whole ammount of CPUs.

Muerte_X

I've wasted so much money on this damn nurburgring race, Something like 7 million, lol.

I bought some "supercars" that couldn't be upgraded to the top of R2 class and were a pretty horrible to drive. And a few that I could get to the top of R2 class, and they were just as bad. Turns out a car I already had was better than all of them. But super top speed limited. My lap time was still better though. So I tried the F50, seeing how it's already a PI of 875, and I was this close to beating my old time on the 1st lap from a standing start, haha.

Ah well, at least I have some cool cars in my garage now. They're not worth selling back to the game. Guess it's gonna be zonda's vs F50's?. I guess there's the Mosler or the Joss whatever, but I usually try to avoid leaderboard cars.

SarBear

I've wasted so much money on this damn nurburgring race, Something like 7 million, lol.

I bought some "supercars" that couldn't be upgraded to the top of R2 class and were a pretty horrible to drive. And a few that I could get to the top of R2 class, and they were just as bad. Turns out a car I already had was better than all of them. But super top speed limited. My lap time was still better though. So I tried the F50, seeing how it's already a PI of 875, and I was this close to beating my old time on the 1st lap from a standing start, haha.

Ah well, at least I have some cool cars in my garage now. They're not worth selling back to the game. Guess it's gonna be zonda's vs F50's?. I guess there's the Mosler or the Joss whatever, but I usually try to avoid leaderboard cars.

Protip: If you are trying to get an idea of where your car can be upgraded to its limit, hit the storefront and to a specific search for that car in that class. You'll see what you have coming to you before you even purchase the car.

Muerte_X

Protip: If you are trying to get an idea of where your car can be upgraded to its limit, hit the storefront and to a specific search for that car in that class. You'll see what you have coming to you before you even purchase the car.
That's a pretty good idea, I'll have to remember that. Thanks!

SarBear

I'd really like to include a third event, Nascar racing......but I need a guage of just how long people would race for. The first race is about a half hour (given everyone needs to finish). The second race is around 40 minutes. Of course, about ten minutes of fucking around in the lobby.....and I could put a few laps around Indy?

Any takers?

I'd really like to include a third event, Nascar racing......but I need a guage of just how long people would race for. The first race is about a half hour (given everyone needs to finish). The second race is around 40 minutes. Of course, about ten minutes of fucking around in the lobby.....and I could put a few laps around Indy?

Any takers?

I'm in.

200 laps = Indy 500. Just throwing that out there...LOL

G Rom

Is it too early for a FM5 wishlist/ideas post or what lol?

G Rom, where's your suggestions post?
I'd like to have a look if it's possible..
I still haven't taken time to organize my list and explain/expand some of the stuff on it.

I have tons of photos to post too. I'll see if I can get them up tomorrow. Need to show dem new kids that I still got it. :lol

Seanspeed

Banned
I dont usually like to blame my setup, but if nagge is getting big chunks of time trying something new, I suppose I should probably look at that, too. I'm also still using the same tune I've had from the start, which was pretty basic to begin with.

You dont have to send me your tune, but I'll mess around more with mine and maybe try out something from the Storefront to see if anything makes a difference. Could honestly just be my driving, though.

I have four cars that I use for racing in the E-class: a Miata, an Abarth 131, Lotus Elan and Honda Fit. I quicktuned them all to be the best the class would allow (275?).
^Thats really one of your biggest problems. Even a decent driver would have a hard time keeping up online in an auto-tuned car. The computer likes to put a lot of power upgrades on at the expense of handling, so you're likely to be quicker and much more comfortable if you get in there yourself and make sure there's some handling upgrades as well.

And there's the Storefront of course too, if you dont feel like doing any of the work.

Hehe, I sat staring at the timer the whole straight hoping to get a sub-7min lap time. It's not a track that lends itself to hot lapping really, sub-7min is well within the cars limits, having the patience to set a clean lap is not really within my limits though ;)

I don't think I will keep that pace come race day either, I'm too cautious when racing with people around me.
I just did a 6:54.7. Bit of a freak lap and it was invalidated. But still! My hands were pretty much trembling at the end hoping I didn't throw it all away with one tiny mistake.

Any takers?

Depends on how hungover I still am. I'm thinking I might be sweating out a good amount of it with the first two races.

nagge

Any takers?

Make it a bonus event? Either way I'm in.

I just did a 6:54.7. Bit of a freak lap and it was invalidated. But still! My hands were pretty much trembling at the end hoping I didn't throw it all away with one tiny mistake.

It feels as if the margins are that much smaller in R2 cars, one missed apex and you're wide and the lap is toast.

I am down for the NASCAR race in Indy. I know I had mentioned it to SarBear before and I think it could be really fun with how close we all are in our groups. And it would be best for the extra race in case it gets too crazy. Maybe even do full damage to keep it "realistic."

And the Joss is a Leaderboard car? All I saw were Moslers. I have been messing with the Joss and it's nice but the wheelspin is insane. I might actually have to race with TCS on if I want to be even remotely consistent.

And I figured I would do a capture of my first test of my tune around The Ring. So enjoy 7.5 min of mediocre driving. I am just too cautious around that track, I feel like if I push I will just screw myself.

Tune Test - Joss JT1

Are you talking about the Furai? I was going to try that out next. That thing looks amazing, the body styling I mean.

SarBear

Yea, I think we can manage a few laps of Indy racing on top of the other two. I won't make it too long, around 15 mins or so. Maybe a touch more. I'll update the official posting in a bit, so for now, plan on it.

MJLord

Any takers?

I'm game

I got one of the wireless racing wheels As a Christmas gift and man, I gotta say that I have been extremely impressed with it. Enjoying the hell out of it.

SarBear

UPDATED - EVENT ADDED LAST MINUTE

6582805713_5c2ebb988a_z.jpg

This Sunday, January 1st (LOL, WUT?), GAF Racing Club is eager to extend a competitive race outing to all those affiliated with our club! Please join us at 2:30pm EST (do your conversions!) for tire-screeching, insane speeds, bad choices, unbelievable passes, sexual advances, unicorn bragging, and perfectly executed intentional crashes from your favorite forum members! This is the fourth week of our racing league, so continue the awesome support, GAF!

RULES:

• No glitched cars. Ever.
  • Minimum 10 players per event type for prizes.
  • Damage for main race types will be Cosmetic and Collisions will be on.
  • 1 Lap run around BEFORE event type on said course, strictly for stretching your legs.
  • GRID WILL BE RANDOM (there's no complaint box, so deal with it)
  • You don't HAVE to do all three events, but it's up to you to keep us informed of what you want to participate in.

Also...
2. – Race League racers should, whenever possible, race “clean”.
.....2.a. Car position relative to others on the track is not always clear. Mid-race .....discussion over xbox live should be used primarily to communicate position and .....passing intents by drivers to avoid collisions.
.....2.b. Attempts at passing should only be made when it is safe to do so.
.....2.c. If being passed, make attempts to avoid collisions whenever possible.
.....2.d. Careless passing that results in significant collisions will be identified post race .....with either time penalties incurred for the offending driver, or with that driver being .....disqualified for that event. Penalty specifics are open for discussion, and .....cases will be looked at via replay on a case by case basis by volunteer bystanders.
.....2.e. Non-significant collisions, or trading paint, is frowned upon, but usually will not .....result in specific penalties.
.....2.f. All drivers should drive cautiously and thoughtfully to avoid collisions. If minor .....collisions occur and it leads to a change in driver position, attempts may be made .....by the offender to allow the passed car back into its pre-collision position.
.....2.g. All racers should save a replay after each race in case review of infractions is .....necessary.
.....2.h. Cars should make all attempts to stay on the track at all time. "Shortcuts" are .....frowned upon and may result in time penalties or race disqualifications.

EVENT TYPES (3):

Catalunya....the salad dressing? - Slapped with a bad case of "Where's Waldo" wardrobe, we're back in action at the famous Spanish circuit. Decisions, decisions....speed, or acceleration? Tough choice to make for you guys, especially in a Miata! Better bring your gatorade, gentelmen, because this race is going to be only part ONE of our lengthy double fisting.

Track
  • Circuit de Catalunya (Grand Prix Circuit) - 13 Laps
Restrictions
  • 1994 1st Gen Mazda Miata
  • Class - C 425
  • Roll Cage Required (individual PI restrictions for non-compliance)
  • Must use GAF livery (will gift, just ask for it)
  • Must have visible race number

RRRRRROOOOLLLIINNNNGGGGG STTTTTTARRRRRTTTTTTTTT!!! - I couldn't resist, Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines!

Track
  • The Brickyard Speedway - 17 Laps
Restrictions
  • Class - R3 800
  • American Stock Car
  • Full Simulation Damage and Collisions Always On
  • Play nice, or be suspended ;)

The Green Hell - An absolute nightmare of a course to drive, wouldn't you say? Good thing there's time to practice. Switch gears into one of the world's most popular Supercars as you sprint, tackle, and pray for forgiveness along the infamous Nurburgring Nordschleife. Part two of our bedroom endurance promises to give you an experience you'll never forget.....and never want to entertain again. /hardcoretroll

Track
  • Nurburgring Nordschliefe (full circuit) - 5 Laps
Restrictions
  • Class - R2 875
  • Car type - Supercar (no exceptions)
  • Mandatory Pit Stop on beginning of Lap 4

PRIZES

Winners: 1st, 2nd, 3rd place overall in day's events
Prize: Unicorn of choice

BONUS!:

Make a donation by auction today! :) We need your support!

Players (Miata Number):

Sarbear (3)
Shortt Sirket (25)
Ox Nagge (33)
Rotavelle (12)
Zorbsie (31)
Soundscream (13)
Archer33 (1)
Muerte X (8)
Granholme (27)
Seanspeed (21)
MJLord (93)
retroBrand (17)
CrudeDiatribe (7)
Templar Wizard (5)
GrassyX
Big Takeover (77) (maybe)
The Japanator (maybe)

Reserve:

P3Tran
The Stig (00)
cjelly (28)
LiquidSnake
flyinpiranha
Guest 1321 (18)
G Rom (34)
Benjamin Birdie
op_ivy
Sneaky77
Mr Nightman (88) (nope 1/1/12)
Union 0015 (15) (nope)

Current standings always available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ancn9aXDWX-ldGt1eThhdEhMWFEtc2hXY0RDQlJwTnc#gid=0

You're in reserve until you confirm. :)
If you need an invite, please let us know.
If you have a pitiful number of posts, you will be put on reserve until day before racing begins.
If I get a ton of players that actually promise to show up (25 or more)...two rooms/random drawing

Yup, I am totally grabbing a Daytona USA livery for that Indy Race.

Edit: Where is Templar Wizard? He better make it for the race on Sunday!

IMO they need southern hemisphere tracks. Either made up ones or real ones, I don't care- but its a bit limited to Europe, America and Japan.

So you want more South-American, African and Australian tracks?

I can imagine some Australian tracks being interesting (Thanks to ToCA Race Driver 3, see BATHURST BATHURST BATHURST), and Interlagos could be good, but there's not a lot to choose from.

Unless...

CARRERA-PANAMERICANA-BASED TRACK!

Think Fujimi Kaido, but set in Mexican highways and roads.

I'm alive, I'm just not sure if I'll be around on Sunday yet. I'll know more probably tomorrow. If you need to guarantee the spot to someone who'll commit sooner, that's fine. My bad for being a waffle, but I'd rather not say I'll be there and then have to cancel.

Hopefully we'll be mixing it up come Sunday, but if not, I want to see videos Short Stuff!

SarBear

I'm alive, I'm just not sure if I'll be around on Sunday yet. I'll know more probably tomorrow. If you need to guarantee the spot to someone who'll commit sooner, that's fine. My bad for being a waffle, but I'd rather not say I'll be there and then have to cancel.

Hopefully we'll be mixing it up come Sunday, but if not, I want to see videos Short Stuff!

Now I can die a happy man. LoL

Top Bottom