• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

A few of my edited photos :) The rest are in the Official Photo Thread

z3e2800.jpg

z5e2800.jpg

It's impossible to take bad pictures of that car.

I have heard that from people, but I have also heard the opposite.

What about a Spec Race like we have been doing it, another "theme" race and then a stock race?

And maybe keeping the stock race a secret until race day. To make things more...interesting...

That would be great. That drops it down to something more managable.

I love the whole process of choosing my car, tuning it, setting it up/testing it, and painting it. It just takes a long time x 2 1/2.

Does this resonate with anyone else?

I'm with you on this. I'm just not good at tuning/upgrading. It would be a load off to have a set car/tune that gets passed around. Those of us with limited time can show up and compete and those who have time can practice during the week.

I'm with you both. I'm just not a good tuner, but I enjoy racing. Would love to see a true spec series where we're all using the same tune or stock cars.

Does this resonate with anyone else?

I suggested much the same thing as well. Would prefer a no-upgrades spec series or two. Tuning would be OK. There was more variation in the Miatas than I thought there was going to be when I suggested C425. The roll-cage requirement was trying for some realism and equality.

Hell, even all three cars being locked in for the next season makes a lot of sense to me.

1. Focus, etc (GAF-built car or no upgrades), B-class or lower.
2. F355C (no upgrades)
3. A600 Trans-Am ('70 Mustang, '69 Camaro, Javalin, etc). Strict parameters (max horsepower, min/max weight, roll cage, etc*) to better ensure a level playing field. Have to use the same car every weekend. These cars sound beastly.

*wish there was a way to limit the number of gears to 4.

Muerte_X

That sounds like a good idea, if by stock you really mean stock, as in no tune at all.

And I trust you not to secretly put in a massive amount of practice with the secret car before the race ;)

Really how much do people change their tunes with the miata? I used the same for our first three races and used a second one for the last two.

I wouldn't mind one of the races each week being with a completely stock car (no tuning). though, I really enjoy making the car my own. But to be honest, I don't understand the appeal of using a stock car or some standard tune that everyone is forced to use. Some people prefer a car to drive different than others, and forcing someone to drive with a car setup for someone else would be pretty annoying. Some people prefer more/less oversteer/understeer, etc. It won't level the playing field at all really. If you look at the rivals times for stock cars, the fastest guys online put down the fastest lap times online as well... And if tuning really is that much of a pain in the ass for some people, there's good tunes on the storefront for cheap.

I have two tunes I've gone back and forth with for my miata, but I could've easily just used the one. I think changing it from my first probably actually hurt me. And by "tunes" i mean, a different set of mods, I mess with the final drive ratio, and maybe downforce if the car has adjustable aero, otherwise I don't really play with the other settings.

I like the way it is now, but I suppose not everyone else does.

I can echo Big Takeovers sentiments too. I like to upgrade/tune. But having a mix of spec and open races could be good to alleviate the time requirements.

I especially like the idea that's been mentioned of a set of club pre-tuned cars. Club member(s) that enjoy tuning and has the time during the week could set up a set of 2 or 3 cars, say, that might even wind up staddling classes (like C421, B 434, C425) but they are tuned and tested to run similar times yet might have different characteristics (grip vs speed vs acceleration) and the fun would be in choosing between them for the race.

EDIT: The club-tuned cars idea could appeal to two sides, for the tuners it would provide interesting discussion/collaboration during the week in the pursuit of making 2 or 3 cars essentially on equal footing in terms of pure lap times, and then those that don't have interest/time in tuning would just pick the car they liked the best at the end.

I am not sure on having people create tunes yet. However I am thinking that, with a large enough list of "required" upgrades for our Spec Racing, it might make the tuning portion a little less important.

I will mess with the Focus/Megane tonight but I am thinking something like requiring:

Race Tires, Full tire width, roll bars, full weight reduction, etc. Thereby leaving on a small PI gap for people to fill as they please. Does this seem like a nice compromise?

nagge

I am not sure on having people create tunes yet. However I am thinking that, with a large enough list of "required" upgrades for our Spec Racing, it might make the tuning portion a little less important.

I will mess with the Focus/Megane tonight but I am thinking something like requiring:

Race Tires, Full tire width, roll bars, full weight reduction, etc. Thereby leaving on a small PI gap for people to fill as they please. Does this seem like a nice compromise?

Sounds good except the highlighted, it's a option that is quite useful in setting up how a car behaves and is just catering to one driving style. The rest of the upgrades can be used however one wants to with some tweaks.

Sounds good except the highlighted, it's a option that is quite useful in setting up how a car behaves and is just catering to one driving style. The rest of the upgrades can be used however one wants to with some tweaks.

That is a good point and I agree. I had forgot how often I stagger the tires differently depending on the drivetrain, weight and handling characteristics.

nagge

The second problem would be enforcing these setups, I mean it took like three races before everyone put a rollcage in their miata, and that's a part that's actually visible.
I guess the honour system is a good thing if it works though.

The second problem would be enforcing these setups, I mean it took like three races before everyone put a rollcage in their miata, and that's a part that's actually visible.
I guess the honour system is a good thing if it works though.

That is all we could really hope on. I really would hope the people in our group aren't so desperate (or pathetic) enough to try to cheat the system for a small gain.

Edit: And tires, roll cage and weight reduction can all be checked on the replays. Plus its possible to go into each car and check the telemetry for the max HP.

nagge

How do you check weight reduction from a replay? I must have missed that :D

But yeah, I don't think anyone would do this on purpose, I don't think it was the case with the rollcages nor the EVO6 yesterday. It's just that a small oversight when building ones car could make it unfair. As there is no real way of monitoring this we'll just hope everyone double checks so that their builds are "legal".

Edit: Oh you mean the passenger seat is removed?

nagge

They should have added an extreme weight saving option: Having the driver sitting directly on the floor of the car and the game camera bouncing all over the place.

They should have added an extreme weight saving option: Having the driver sitting directly on the floor of the car and the game camera bouncing all over the place.

Haha, yeah that would be fun if they actually did throw in goofy stuff like that!

I want to have a Trans Am race one of these Sundays like Crude suggested. Too bad we did Laguna recently. It would have been the perfect venue.

Seanspeed

Banned
I would really rather go down to 2 races a weekend. Make them a bit longer of course, but the server thing is likely to be a recurring issue and the less times we have to cross our fingers the better. It should limit some frustration and somewhat alleviate time concerns for the guys across the pond who are cutting into their Sunday evening/night schedules already. And since a few of you dont seem to enjoy spending a ton of time building and tuning, this would automatically cut out some of that, since there'd only be a single car to build each weekend.

One race would be a spec series race like we're doing with the Miatas. I think the way we have it now is perfect. Set some requirements, but allow us to build and tune the car ourselves.

Then the next race would be whatever. I wouldn't mind doing some pure stock races here and there, either. Obviously not all the time, and pick a car that isn't absolutely awful to drive stock, so that its actually enjoyable. But other races would be just like we're doing now.

I also have a suggestion for the points system - drop our 2 worst placings at the end of the season. It would acheive a couple things. First, any really crappy race somebody has where they are knocked around and finish badly due to pure bad luck would be nullified. Second, it would allow a person to miss a race or even a weekend without being penalized too badly. I can see Ox is a diehard competitor and wouldn't miss a race for the world in fear of losing out in the points, and I'm a little upset that I missed the one weekend not only for myself, but also because it possibly dampened what might have been an exciting championship points-wise for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. But this would apply to everybody through the field and alleviate any anxiety somebody has about NEEDING to race to ensure a good place in the standings.

Those are great points Seanspeed. I have had people request 2 races, so I am definitely considering it. And dropping the lowest place race is another good idea since I also had to miss a race last Season.

Okay, for the Megane, we can choose full weight reduction or race tires but not both. Which do you guys like better? And what is the max PI we should have free to play with? 10-20?

gragy10

Those are great points Seanspeed. I have had people request 2 races, so I am definitely considering it. And dropping the lowest place race is another good idea since I also had to miss a race last Season.

Okay, for the Megane, we can choose full weight reduction or race tires but not both. Which do you guys like better? And what is the max PI we should have free to play with? 10-20?

Def agree with Sean re: 2 races and dropping bottom 2 results.
Weight reduction all the way on the Megane too

Raudi

Veloster's incoming!

2 cars are listed now in Auction House / Search!

• Veloster
  • #67 Veloster

Hyundai pack this week? ;)

hyundai-veloster-rally-car.jpg

STOP MESSING WITH US!!

That shot is HIGHLY deceptive and hot.

I'm not kidding - both Hyundai Veloster's are listed in AH search, so I assume they are ready to be activated with DLC

That #67 is HOT and I was going to paint it, but it's apparently already in the game!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i am now a member of GAF :)

also the millen veloster would be dope! free dlc this week i'd imagine

Jube3

I'm not kidding - both Hyundai Veloster's are listed in AH search, so I assume they are ready to be activated with DLC

That #67 is HOT and I was going to paint it, but it's apparently already in the game!

The Hyundai Bonus Pack is up on the marketplace now! :)

In addition, the Hyundai Veloster Bonus pack includes a brand new Autovista experience featuring an one-of-a-kind, in-depth look at the 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo. The free Hyundai Veloster Bonus Pack is every Forza 4 fan’s chance to experience these incredible Hyundai cars in a brand new way!

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/hyundai_veloster_bonus_pack/

I want to have a Trans Am race one of these Sundays like Crude suggested. Too bad we did Laguna recently. It would have been the perfect venue.

We can always do Leguna Seca again. It's not like it's a bad track. I threw four sample A600 cars up on my Storefront.

Proposed Trans Am specs should be (IMO):
A600
One of: AMC Javalin, Chevy Camaro '69, Ford Mustang '70, Plymouth Cuda '71 (and perhaps others).
No more than 550HP (Mustang on Storefront needs to drop 4HP).
No more than 3300 lbs.
No less than 2500 lbs. (ha!)
Naturally aspirated.
RWD
Roll cage mandatory.
Sport Gearbox at best (hard to enforce this, except to check the replay for each car on the long straight).

I don't think this allows for a lot of leeway.

The Hyundai Bonus Pack is up on the marketplace now! :)

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/hyundai_veloster_bonus_pack/

Very nice. I'd like to see more car companies do DLC when they launch cars.

We can always do Leguna Seca again. It's not like it's a bad track. I threw four sample A600 cars up on my Storefront.

A600
One of: AMC Javalin, Chevy Camaro '69, Ford Mustang '70, Plymouth Cuda '71 (and perhaps others).
No more than 3300 lbs.
Naturally aspirated.
RWD
Roll cage mandatory.
Sport Gearbox at best (hard to enforce this, except to check the replay for each car on the long straight).

Looks great. I'll take them for a spin tomorrow. I like the idea of limiting the gearbox too.

nagge

I vote for full race tire compound, full race suspension, race brakes, rollcage and that's it. The rest of the PI should be our own to fiddle around with.

Edti: Ok I changed my mind, ditch the race compound as well, there's just so little PI to work with otherwise.

And I agree with Seanspeed as well.

A600
No more than 3300 lbs.
Naturally aspirated.
RWD
Roll cage mandatory.

I'd say make the car restrictions 1968-1975 american made, and the restrictions above.

I'd say make the car restrictions 1968-1975 american made, and the restrictions above.
Don't want the Corvette do be eligible, nor cars from the fuel crisis era (Mustang II). I wish there was a body-style option for pony cars.

I wish we could limit displacement to 5L (302 ci), like the original series, but a lot of the cars we have are the top trim level and so have 6-7L plants.

We can add the Challenger, Cougar, and Firebird Trans-Am to the list of cars.

Don't want the Corvette do be eligible, nor cars from the fuel crisis era (Mustang II). I wish there was a body-style option for pony cars.

I wish we could limit displacement to 5L (302 ci), like the original series, but a lot of the cars we have are the top trim level and so have 6-7L plants.

Feel free to make a list of of cars to be eligible. We don't have to keep it wide open and since it is the Trans Am race, there are reasons they had certain restrictions. We will definitely be using this idea and the DTM idea this Season.

I will also update with the final Season 1 standings later today.

saladine1

I just finished all the AV car challenges and showcases in one sitting after initially resisting because of principle.
AV cars are absolutely stunning!
The sheer amount of detail and work that went into this mode is mind boggling!
Can we see that level of detail for next gen in standard form?

Anyway, as a car geek, I really enjoyed JC's contributions and that of Peter Egan.
One thing I would have preferred though was a 'beginning to end' spec analysis rather than having to click each interactive point. I also would've loved to see/hear the length of each showcase extended to include even more geeky details but that's just me.

Ultimately though, I would love to see this 'spec analysis' extended to each and every car (perhaps tracks as well) in future games. How viable that is I don't know, but would love for it to happen...

nagge

Oh, how about the Cuda?

op_ivy

fucking server unavailable. cant even race the new veloster rival. lol. =(

It's kinda funny that in the Veloster Turbo AutoVista experience, Peter Egan spends the entire time talking about Rhys Millen Racing rather than the car. :D

Love this kind of random free DLC; wish T10 would do more of it.

Oh, how about the Cuda?

It was already on my list. Even up on my storefront as a test-tune.

Good gracious these cars sound amazing.

I wish the Camaro had a paintable roof, the vinyl looks pretty silly to me.

It's kinda funny that in the Veloster Turbo AutoVista experience, Peter Egan spends the entire time talking about Rhys Millen Racing rather than the car. :D

Hyundai paid for it, I think, just like the Genesis DLC in F3. I think it shows in Egan's voiceover, which seem a little more glowing than the car merits (not that the car is bad, but it's not exactly an exotic).

OrangeOak

I just finished all the AV car challenges and showcases in one sitting after initially resisting because of principle.
AV cars are absolutely stunning!
The sheer amount of detail and work that went into this mode is mind boggling!
Can we see that level of detail for next gen in standard form?

Anyway, as a car geek, I really enjoyed JC's contributions and that of Peter Egan.
One thing I would have preferred though was a 'beginning to end' spec analysis rather than having to click each interactive point. I also would've loved to see/hear the length of each showcase extended to include even more geeky details but that's just me.

Ultimately though, I would love to see this 'spec analysis' extended to each and every car (perhaps tracks as well) in future games. How viable that is I don't know, but would love for it to happen...

I sure hope so !
Imagine driving in cockpits with AV cars quality,it would be awesome !

nagge

It was already on my list. Even up on my storefront as a test-tune.

Good gracious these cars sound amazing.

Ha, I'm blind as a bat. The Barracuda is allowed as well then? And the Mercury?

And they do sound lovely, had an idea last week where I tuned pretty much every muscle car to A600 and just enjoyed the roar and the occasional victory online. They can handle when tuned right, although some cars are just a hand full, got a Chevy Chevelle that has to be babied around the corners but once you point it straight and plant your foot, of it goes! :)

op_ivy

i was really hoping that that car was the AV car, not the standard '13 model

Ha, I'm blind as a bat. The Barracuda is allowed as well then? And the Mercury?

The '71 'Cuda is. I haven't built a Cougar, yet, but I assume you can get the weight down. Ideally with the restrictions, all these cars will be stripped, have wide slicks, full aero and roll cages installed.

Turn 10 has updated the car list on their website; they have many makers now, but not all the cars. Also, the picture for the Dodge Omni GLHS is pretty unique, I think.

Top Bottom